Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
uh
This poll is closed.
embiid 41 32.28%
wiggins 86 67.72%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mandrel posted:

Well it's settled them Hairston hype train leaving the station in my heart

The last time this happened it was Perry Jones though, and then we actually got him, and then ???

Jones is a very talented player that doesn't get minutes because brooks is an awful coach who would rather play Butler and Fisher rather than young more talented players like Jones. Same goes for Roberson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

BIZORT posted:

I saw Dante Exum's brother play in a streetball tournament a couple of months ago and he wasn't very good. Update your draft buzz sheets
Obviously Exum doesn't have good bloodlines then.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Metapod posted:

Jones is a very talented player that doesn't get minutes because brooks is an awful coach who would rather play Butler and Fisher rather than young more talented players like Jones. Same goes for Roberson

I agree, but what can you do. Maybe Fish will retire and we won't resign Butler. Roberson could be so loving good if we could teach him to shoot at all. He's an unreal defender and rebounder off instinct alone.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mandrel posted:

I agree, but what can you do. Maybe Fish will retire and we won't resign Butler. Roberson could be so loving good if we could teach him to shoot at all. He's an unreal defender and rebounder off instinct alone.

Pray that we don't resign butler, fisher retires, and brooks learns he needs to play his bench more during the season so in the playoffs we don't have games where the bench scores less than 10 points

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Metapod posted:

I don't know if talented is the right word. He's sort of like Durant in that he's a really great athlete, super quick and very springy, for his size. But he lacks the incredible basketball skill of Durant. He still needs to learn his one NBA thing. If he could learn to shoot, he'd be a useful player. If he learned to finish at the rim, he'd be a useful player, etc etc.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

So is Stauskas like the only one in this draft that can shoot?

Yes I know Hood and Wilcox can shoot

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

kiimo posted:

There are a few, but the main guys are Stauskas and this feller

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Doug-McDermott-6504/stats/

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I hope the Kings don't draft McDermott. He's done-for if they do.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

WEREWAIF posted:

I don't know if talented is the right word. He's sort of like Durant in that he's a really great athlete, super quick and very springy, for his size. But he lacks the incredible basketball skill of Durant. He still needs to learn his one NBA thing. If he could learn to shoot, he'd be a useful player. If he learned to finish at the rim, he'd be a useful player, etc etc.

All those things can be fixed with playing time

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

McDermott might be the best shooter in the history of college basketball so probably him

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Metapod posted:

All those things can be fixed with playing time

Just letting a bad player play a lot is usually not a great way to win games. And jn college at least jones didn't give much indication that he was going to try to get better.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Wes Johnson looked like a competent NBA player twice a month if you played him 30 minutes a game.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
The Thunder have maybe made a promise to something called a Porzingis with the 21st pick. Uh, all right.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Terry Glenn posted:

The Thunder have maybe made a promise to something called a Porzingis with the 21st pick. Uh, all right.

That guy has a seriously great name in perhaps the strongest name draft in league history.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

BIZORT posted:

I hadn't really considered it. I assume they're taking Exum at 4. Also, I tend to fall in love with guards and hate big men so ignore me.

Orlando does need a shooter badly, though, and I don't think Exum fits that need. Marcus Smart definitely doesn't

I keep going back and forth on who I want the Sixers to take with their second pick if they don't get Wiggins between Gary Harris and Stauskas. I've really started to like Stauskas a lot though and he'd be great next to MCW

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

chunkles posted:

That guy has a seriously great name in perhaps the strongest name draft in league history.

Maybe if you want a Star Trek villain on your team.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

morestuff posted:

Maybe if you want a Star Trek villain on your team.

Kristaps Porzingis is actually a title that he earned from killing the last Kristaps Porzingis

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
I'm cool with a Star Trek Villain, but Presti already has two dudes stashed in Europe that aren't coming to the NBA any time soon, and the Thunder have significant gaps given the current roster. Drafting that Euro makes sense if you believe he'll grow into that frame and if Presti is planning to fill some of those gaps via FA (I doubt it).

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Jota posted:

I keep going back and forth on who I want the Sixers to take with their second pick if they don't get Wiggins between Gary Harris and Stauskas. I've really started to like Stauskas a lot though and he'd be great next to MCW

I watched a handful of Stauskas vids after Morningview talked him up and he's the real deal. I wanted James Young before, but I'm conflicted now. I'm not a fan of Harris due because of the height issues.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I watched a handful of Stauskas vids after Morningview talked him up and he's the real deal. I wanted James Young before, but I'm conflicted now. I'm not a fan of Harris due because of the height issues.

Gary Harris is like 6'4 he'll be fine

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I've been looking through draft profiles a bit and trying to find the Moreyest picks at #25 and #42. Adriaen Payne is absolutely perfect but seems to have played his way above #25. Draftexpress mocked Johnny O'Bryant with the #42 which looks pretty drat spot on.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Declan MacManus posted:

Gary Harris is like 6'4 he'll be fine

With shoes. He's a good player, but he's kind of small for a NBA-calibre starting SG. Out of the top 15 SGs in the draft he ranks 14/15 for wingspan, 15/15 for standing reach, and 12/15 for height.

I don't think he's that much better than Stauskas, Young, Lavine, Hairston, etc. that the absence of size/length can be ignored.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
6'4" is plenty tall for a shooting guard. His arms are a little short, but I don't think that's as big a deal for a guard. It's not such a huge deal that it's going to prevent him from being a good player.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Wade is 6'4 after you fudge the numbers a bit and he's arguably the best two guard in the east. If he can get his shot off then he's fine

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Defense is probably what you'd be worried about, anyway, and from what I understand he's a better defensive prospect than the other two-guards.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
JR Reddick is 6'4" in high heels and he's somehow a NBA SG.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I think I've talked myself into basically every top-20 prospect. It's nice watching highlight videos and just imagining the best-case scenario for everybody.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Every year we all, more or less, agree on at least one guy that will bust but I'm not sure we've all come to that consensus yet for this draft. The only one we've been wrong about off the top of my head is Drummond

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

BIZORT posted:

Every year we all, more or less, agree on at least one guy that will bust but I'm not sure we've all come to that consensus yet for this draft. The only one we've been wrong about off the top of my head is Drummond

I'd guess McDermott, LaVine and Gordon are the finalists this year.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

morestuff posted:

I'd guess McDermott, LaVine and Gordon are the finalists this year.

McDermott can at least give something valuable to a team. Those other two are a bit more questionable.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

At the very least I'd guess that Gordon can carve out a "Hey, he's athletic. This is his year!" eight year career like Stromile Swift but I know very little about him. I don't know anything about LaVine. McDermott seemingly has a plus skill so he should have a fairly long career either way.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

BIZORT posted:

I think Marcus Smart is probably the closest to that so far this year.

I am pretty sure everyone hated the Westbrook pick, too.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.

Crazy Ted posted:

Obviously Exum doesn't have good bloodlines then.

Cecil Exum was pretty decent...at forward...in Australia...

Mandrel posted:

I feel like PJ Hairston has got to be fool's gold because I watch videos of him and see that he's a reasonable get for the Thunder and he just looks too good to be true. Anybody who actually watched him on the regular that can tell me why he's actually poo poo and not as good as he seems?

Basically what MV said, he's a good shooter and one hell of an athlete and probably not an elite ball handler but not so bad as to be a huge detriment to his game since he was able to run the break competently at UNC. Volume scorer

swizz fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 5, 2014

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

xbilkis posted:

I think Marcus Smart is probably the closest to that so far this year.

I am pretty sure everyone hated the Westbrook pick, too.

Most of us just thought Westbrook was picked entirely too high. I'm not even sure a lot of us had an opinion on him before the draft.

Marcus Smart does strike me as a strong possibility but even he seems like he could succeed in the right situation. There is no Adam Morrison... yet

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I suspect McDermott will be disappointing but he'll be in the NBA for a while. Worst case scenario is James Jones. Plus a bust really needs to be in the top-10. If I had to vote now, declaring Exum a top-5 guy in this draft might seem stupid a year from now.

Bruce Ivins
Aug 7, 2008

Some rando named a "Justin Simmons" apparently worked out with the Bucks today.

:drat:

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

BIZORT posted:

Wade is 6'4 after you fudge the numbers a bit and he's arguably the best two guard in the east. If he can get his shot off then he's fine

Wade has a 7 foot wingspan. There's a reason he's one of the best shot-blocking SGs ever.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lockback posted:

I suspect McDermott will be disappointing but he'll be in the NBA for a while. Worst case scenario is James Jones. Plus a bust really needs to be in the top-10. If I had to vote now, declaring Exum a top-5 guy in this draft might seem stupid a year from now.

Yeah but Exum is one of those foreign mystery prospects, he fits a different draft archetype from the Adam Morrison obvious bust type. The hybrid, Jan Vesely type is rarely seen at under 7ft tall.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Wade has a 7 foot wingspan. There's a reason he's one of the best shot-blocking SGs ever.

Yeah, athletically Wade is a Barkley-esque monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

I'm not arguing that Harris won't be okay/good. :Sixers: I just don't want to spend a #10 on him in this draft when there's half a dozen other picks who are arguably better prospects and TYoung, 5 second round picks, and cap space as incentive to trade up or trade for future picks.

I think the trading for future picks is an option for the 76ers that's been ignored. Options get restricted if you have to consider contracts for Noel/MCW, #3/#10, and whatever happens in 2015 in consecutive years. Cap space rules and that's 5-6 players you have to sign, who prossibly could be really good, and it's a 3 year time span. That's a lot of $/risk in a short-term period.

• Locked thread