Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Anything for Devil May Cry 4? I just picked it up and am having trouble adjusting to Nero's playstyle coming off 3.

That's exactly the hard part. You spend the beginning adapting to Nero, then halfway through when you get good with Nero You switch back to Dante! Now you have to re-learn how to play Dante!

Nero's fighting style is actually pretty amazing. Revving the sword is kinda useful if you can get the rhythm but not required. Mostly just get really good at abusing the devil bringer. If you really take full advantage of the devil bringer you can do some hilariously broken things, like infinite juggles. It also helps you cope with no stinger, instead of you going to enemies, enemies come to you. As Nero don't try to chase people down, just pull them to you, beat on them, and then pull them back or pull somebody else to you when they die. Several enemies have specific gimmicks where you have to do a normal devil bringer attack (B) up-close in order to make them vulnerable, those guys are annoying but you'll pick it up, there should be a button prompt I think?

Most of the game should be pretty straightforward and even a little bit easier if you were used to 3. The story is pretty poo poo and obviously tons of things got changed/cancelled during development but the graphics and gameplay are really good.

Usual Devil May Cry advise: always get stinger first, upgrade whenever you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Also, more Battlefield 3 tips: if you get into a vehicle DO NOT DRIVE OFF WITH YOU ALONE AS THE DRIVER. Wait at the spawn to see if anyone wants to hitch a ride or be your gunner (some pubbies won't call "I need a ride" and will just silently get into your vehicle so don't think silence is a "no"). I guaran-loving-tee you will be hated if you drive off in a Hummer or APC while a half-dozen dudes are running behind you ESPECIALLY if you are getting destroyed on Conquest and only have your spawn as the friendly point (hiking sucks, especially on the bigger maps).

Don't ditch the vehicle in enemy territory either even if you are at >20 armor because the enemy will take it from you, get their engie to patch it up and now you have another headache in Rush.

The only time sniping ever has any benefit to Conquest/Rush (the meat of BF and where the true ranking-up happens) is in Rush, when you are attacking and are picking off dudes as they try to disarm the MCOM charge. Other than that, never snipe unless you are in one of the Deathmatch gametypes. I miss the days of BC2 where you had the tracer dart and could shoot at snipers lighting them up like a Christmas tree (the classic troll, got so many hate PMs but come on dude).

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Mock and Droll posted:

Anything for Expeditions: Conquistador? I just bought it in the weeklong Steam Sale. I know it's been discussed a bit in this thread, but I can't find it for the life of me.

I would also like some information as I'm in the same boat (bought it from the weeklong Steam deal). Couldn't find any thing on the wiki.

Bomb-omb Texting
Sep 24, 2009
Hey, does anyone have a something for Tropico 5?

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

OneEightHundred posted:

Since I can't seem to find any commentary on Mass Effect 3 that isn't complaining about the ending: How does the gameplay compare to Mass Effect 2? In fact, how is it in general aside from the ending?

Barudak posted:

It is better. Outside of the ending and

I found this to be pretty funny, thanks.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
I just started the first Just Cause. The environment is pretty nice considering its age, but it already seems really repetitive. Is it necessary to do anything other than the story missions (i.e., promote in the cartel or guerilla factions, liberate provinces, etc.)? If not, I'm probably just going to get through the story ASAP and move on to the sequel.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Don't even bother with the original. You're not going to enjoy the story in that one and frankly you won't in 2 either. The fun is in random chaos which 2 does far better.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

There were some fun things in the first one, but yeah don't bother with any of the side stuff just shoot through the main missions.

The second game is superior in just about every way.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

okku posted:

I'm not through the game, so this may not apply all the way through the eras, but seems worthwhile for now (start of cold war).

- Be careful not to get comfortable with your money-producing setup. You'll always lack money, so keep expanding that more or less constantly, especially if you have unemployment.
- Poor people may not be able to afford living in fancier houses. If you upgrade all your Country Houses to just Houses, you may effectively have tossed everyone out in the street. Either lower the budget ("budget" for houses is how much it costs to live there), or be sure to always have a mix of the various ranges of housing.
- One library is plenty for the first few eras to stay on top of research.
- Army buildings dramatically lower liberty happiness in a small area around them. Avoid placing them next to housing (along the beach usually works, as that is where invasions come from).
- Hiring your own dynasty members as managers is free, so always assign them. Hiring someone else takes a worker away from where they are now. Usually still worth it though.
- Social services (clinics, churches etc) have a max population they can server, aside from the area that they cover. You may need more than one, if your build dense neighbourhoods.
- Food happiness is both having enough food and also different types of food. A cattle farm and a wharf are cheap and provide 3 between them, which is plenty at first.
- Llama farms work better on higher ground. It took me ages to work out, why there was never any good spots to place them.
- Finally, people prefer living close, but not too close, to industry/farming. Try to keep your residential areas and your workplaces away from each other. After you get over the beginning phases, you may want to save up, and then demolish your "starter town" area to get a better layout.

GhostBoy fucked around with this message at 09:26 on May 30, 2014

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Anything for State of decay? Bought the base game and both DLCs, and I've been messing around for a bit.
Expected progression? Any tips or stuff to avoid?

Oh haha, I just realized we have a page for it in the wiki. :downs: Anything not covered there? Dunno how outdated it is.

Azran fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 30, 2014

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
The wiki page for State of Decay seems relevant enough but I'd also suggest checking out the OP of the game thread here on the forums:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3545707

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Got Titan Quest on the sale. I wanna make a fast moving/attacking dual wield character with no magic. I was thinking Warrior/Rogue but Rogue looks a little lackluster. What's a good combination for that?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

StashAugustine posted:

Got Titan Quest on the sale. I wanna make a fast moving/attacking dual wield character with no magic. I was thinking Warrior/Rogue but Rogue looks a little lackluster. What's a good combination for that?

Anything + dream. Once you get dreamstealer you're basically God. And pretty much every class synergizes well with it.
A specific recommendation will have to wait until I'm at my desktop pc
E: this is assuming you got the expansion too

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I played that game at release and remember melee classes being seriously underpowered. Has that been fixed with patches/ the expansion, or do they still suck compared to magic?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

I played that game at release and remember melee classes being seriously underpowered. Has that been fixed with patches/ the expansion, or do they still suck compared to magic?

On the contrary, the Underlord mod (which is arguably the most popular and "must have" among fans) makes melee classes even more difficult starting out because of increased mob numbers and variable levels. Melee classes balance out late game but if you don't have AoE attacks or a pet at the start you're going to be hurting.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I'm looking at replaying Dragon Age: Origins, and I was wondering if there were any mods I should get (and no, I do not want to skip the Fade)?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I'm looking at replaying Dragon Age: Origins, and I was wondering if there were any mods I should get (and no, I do not want to skip the Fade)?

You should use this so you can always have your dog. Also, I think this respec mod is also used by a lot of people.

Everything else is not really needed, but stuff like Awakening stuff being added to Origins is kinda neat.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Geneforge 2

- Playing GF1 first is recommended, but not mandatory. There's no cross-game import, either.
- The game re-uses a lot of item graphics. When looting, make sure to mouse over everything and read the item names; not only do magical items generally use the same graphics as their non-magical equivalents, but some very useful items like the Luck Charm share graphics with worthless decorative items like dice!
- Unlike GF1, the storyline acknowledges differences between canister-using and canister-avoiding play. The latter is generally harder, but not as hard as it was in GF1 due to more non-canister sources of training and upgrades.
- There are some NPCs who will give you quests to bring them three materials in exchange for a powerful magical item. These quests are all worth doing, but it will be near the end of the game before you can complete them, and they don't show up in your quest log, so you may want to write them down somewhere.
- There are a number of otherwise useless "small items" that various NPCs are looking for and will buy off you in unlimited quantities. You generally get more money for selling them to a normal merchant, but these NPCs never run out of money and often give you non-monetary rewards like XP as well. Hang on to: Iron Bars, both kinds of Shaper Equipment, Gemstones, Emeralds, Puresteel Rings, and Rough Crystals.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Azran posted:

Anything for State of decay? Bought the base game and both DLCs, and I've been messing around for a bit.
Expected progression? Any tips or stuff to avoid?

Oh haha, I just realized we have a page for it in the wiki. :downs: Anything not covered there? Dunno how outdated it is.

Outposts make an area around them safe from spawns. It means monsters can follow you but not spawn in there. Researching explosive mines extends the area around the base and the outposts and explodes the first horde that comes through that area. They do reload but a bit slowly. Try to make a corner of the map safe so your guys don't get banged up from fighting hordes invading your bases.

The most dangerous zombies are the Big Un's (huge fat fucks) and Ferals. They both inflict wounds every time they attack your characters and can kill them outright. For the fatties use Flame Fougasses while keeping your distance and try headshotting the ferals. Don't let missions accumulate, otherwise you can have a chain reaction of morale drops caused by multiple missions failing at the same time.

If you are going the firearms route, suppressors are a must. As the game progresses, a single, unmuffled shot can bring every zombie in a wide radius to your locations.

If you get a workshop up at the base, they'll repair weapons that are in yellow status.

Ibblified
May 13, 2012

okku posted:

- For the colonial era, what I like to do is fast build a wharf, 2 - 3 cash crops (including converting/destroying the first plantation they give), and 3 ranches of pigs, llamas and cattle. I then build a library normally. This should ensure your income early game.
- I don't worry about gaining the people's support before having a decent income flow. Houses, healthcare etc can be delayed. If need be, I pick extension of mandate for the quest rewards, otherwise I go for educated or supportive citizens.
- Don't neglect education. Education appears to be what religion was in Tropico 4. In fact, now, religion is less of an issue, whereas in Tropico 4 you pretty much needed a church to appease the religious faction. However, education now will be the bottleneck of your industries, especially in the World War and Modern eras.
- I generally start having problems winning elections in the modern era, for some reason. My jobs will be at a 50 rating, and I am not sure if there is anything else I can do besides raise the budget. Will be nice if someone has advice for that too. What I do is use smear campaign and social engineering as often as possible, with martial law as the last resort.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I had a look at the wiki for Disgaea 3, but there's nothing there that veterans of the series won't already know. Is there anything specific to the game that I should be aware of? I remember there was something about item duping and a few other bits and pieces, but I can't remember the specifics.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I had a look at the wiki for Disgaea 3, but there's nothing there that veterans of the series won't already know. Is there anything specific to the game that I should be aware of? I remember there was something about item duping and a few other bits and pieces, but I can't remember the specifics.

http://disgaea.wikia.com/wiki/Disgaea_3_Item_Duping

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Anyone have anything for Adventure Manager?

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006
I just got Sniper Elite V2, which is free on Steam for today only by the way. Any pointers or things I need to know?

I've done two stages, and it's pretty rad. I especially love the bullet-cam/x-ray. :)

Damonic fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 4, 2014

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Damonic posted:

I just got Elite Sniper V2, which is free on Steam for today only by the way. Any pointers or things I need to know?

I've done two stages, and it's pretty rad. I especially love the bullet-cam/x-ray. :)

Laying prone lets you recover your breath faster but if any of them get the drop on you from any angle other than right in front of you, you're already dead. Sometimes, even them being in front of you won't save you.

Don't sweat trying to get a headshot all of the time. If you need a dude dead like now, a gut shot is good enough. If it ends up incapacitating him instead, you can let him be because chances are someone's going to try picking him up and getting him back on his feet. They will actually get them up if you let them, so be careful of that. No, you don't get bonus points for shooting them while they're down, if score is your main concern at all.

Always be moving and try to avoid shooting from the same spot twice unless you've got your flanks well-covered or you're so far away that they can't do anything about it to begin with. The AI is really good at surrounding you and you don't carry that much ammo for your other guns if/once things go tits up. On normal and under, you leave behind an image of where the enemies last spotted/became aware of you. You can take advantage of this and set up some traps for anyone who ends up searching for you up there.

Once you place down a mine, you're set with it until it goes off. It'll never go off under your feet (thank god) but you're not getting it back, either. You can cancel using the trip-wire if you don't like the initial stake being where it's at. Once you put down the charge, though, you can't pick it back up again.

Finally, just take it nice and slow with some of your shots because you will be dealing with moving targets at times and focus time isn't going to help you if you go crazy with the aiming anyway.

Edit: v This is probably the most important advice you can get for this game.

A Bystander fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 4, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Damonic posted:

I just got Sniper Elite V2, which is free on Steam for today only by the way. Any pointers or things I need to know?

My tip to you is to go into the options settings and set it so that you do the bullet-cam as much as possible.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I was one of those weirdos that liked Nero a lot more than Dante in Devil May Cry 4 and the number one tip I can give to maximize your awesome potential is to get used to the rev rhythm and remap your gun to something you can hold charged asap and get used to using charged shots between devil bringer combos to raise your meter and damage to true sick nasty levels.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Just realized the wiki lacks a Metro Last Light section.

Metro Last Light

• Unlike Metro 2033, you can buy filters after the early game, and the ones you find out in the open are actually useful.
  • Spend your Military Grade Rounds on ammo first and foremost, you will find a LOT of upgraded weapons during gameplay, and you should only upgrade the ones you really, really like.
  • There are two endings, but you basically need a guide for the non-default one.
  • Hold E for a silent, non-lethal takedown.
  • There are two big difficulty spikes in the game, and they both involve defending your position while waiting for something to arrive. Don't worry if you are getting killed all the time, the difficulty evens out after those parts.
  • Don't underestimate the Nosalis. They got a pretty huge buff from 2033.
  • Wait for the last ten/twenty seconds of air before swapping filters.
  • The Throwing Knives are incredibly overpowered, and you can retrieve them.
  • Ranger Mode is not necessary, the difficulty levels are properly balanced. It's not like 2033 where Easy made everything a bullet sponge.
  • If you are using an AMD card, turn off PhysX which is enabled by default. Your framerate will thank you.
  • The Kshatriya mission in the "Factions" DLC is the closest we have to S.T.A.L.K.E.R in the Metro engine for now. It's really good.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Azran posted:

Just realized the wiki lacks a Metro Last Light section.

I've added this to the wiki - thanks.

Also added Sniper Elite V2, above.

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006

A Bystander posted:

Laying prone lets you recover your breath faster but if any of them get the drop on you from any angle other than right in front of you, you're already dead. Sometimes, even them being in front of you won't save you.

Don't sweat trying to get a headshot all of the time. If you need a dude dead like now, a gut shot is good enough. If it ends up incapacitating him instead, you can let him be because chances are someone's going to try picking him up and getting him back on his feet. They will actually get them up if you let them, so be careful of that. No, you don't get bonus points for shooting them while they're down, if score is your main concern at all.

Always be moving and try to avoid shooting from the same spot twice unless you've got your flanks well-covered or you're so far away that they can't do anything about it to begin with. The AI is really good at surrounding you and you don't carry that much ammo for your other guns if/once things go tits up. On normal and under, you leave behind an image of where the enemies last spotted/became aware of you. You can take advantage of this and set up some traps for anyone who ends up searching for you up there.

Once you place down a mine, you're set with it until it goes off. It'll never go off under your feet (thank god) but you're not getting it back, either. You can cancel using the trip-wire if you don't like the initial stake being where it's at. Once you put down the charge, though, you can't pick it back up again.

Finally, just take it nice and slow with some of your shots because you will be dealing with moving targets at times and focus time isn't going to help you if you go crazy with the aiming anyway.

Edit: v This is probably the most important advice you can get for this game.

Thanks for the advice! One question though...does running around increase your heart-rate? (It'd make sense I suppose)
Also, I was wondering what the gently caress that ghost image was! I was thinking that it was either the last time I was spotted, or where I was supposed to be. Good to know that it's the former.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

My tip to you is to go into the options settings and set it so that you do the bullet-cam as much as possible.

I did so, and it's more awesome! :)

Damonic fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jun 5, 2014

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Damonic posted:

Thanks for the advice! One question though...does running around increase your heart-rate? (It'd make sense I suppose)

Yes, which explains why sprinting for even like a second can wind you as much as you not sprinting for about three seconds or so. Sprint or no, if you gotta run away, serpentine, son, serpentine.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Anything for Disgaea 4? The only other NIS game I've played is Soul Nomad.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Anything for Final Fantasy X-2 HD? I'm not even gonna bother trying for 100% on this first run but I don't wanna miss any important stuff like missable dresspheres etc.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Dr Snofeld posted:

Anything for Final Fantasy X-2 HD? I'm not even gonna bother trying for 100% on this first run but I don't wanna miss any important stuff like missable dresspheres etc.

I think one of the dress spheres comes from getting 100%. could be wrong, it's been a while

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

The game is built on missing content and multiple replays. About half the dresspheres can be missed if you're not thorough so you'll want to rely on a guide for them.

I beat this game 100% on a first playthrough with a lovely Brady guide so my only tip is "don't do this." Play the game, enjoy it if you do, but don't pull your hair out trying to do everything because FFX-2 is like a trolling middle finger to completionists. Only Nier beats it in this regard.

It's a moderately easy, simple RPG and the mission based structure makes it easy to pick up and play. If you want to do everything or are afraid of missing something, the best tip is to use a guide.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

If you are trying to 100% it, however, if it's anything like the PS2 version, don't skip cutscenes. In a fantastically boneheaded decision, they count for completion too. Whoever designed this game really hates people who dare to skip the beautiful and complex story of the most gratuitous Charlie's Angels rip-off ever known.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

If you are trying to 100% it, however, if it's anything like the PS2 version, don't skip cutscenes. In a fantastically boneheaded decision, they count for completion too. Whoever designed this game really hates people who dare to skip the beautiful and complex story of the most gratuitous Charlie's Angels rip-off ever known.

Completely forgot about this. The completion rating is so ridiculous that you'll get a tenth of a percentage for speaking to an NPC who has a single line of dialog or witnessing a 5 second panoramic scroll of an area you don't need to be in but can't witness at any other point in the game.

e:

quote:

MI'IHEN HIGHROAD - Total Percentage Gain: 0.2%

**Automatic event. Simply arrive at the location and verify that Yuna
confesses her memories via a flashback.

e2: The dressphere guide I posted makes mention of a powerful item called Catnip. This was nerfed in the HD edition. It still does 9999 damage/healing when critical but it also auto-berserk so you can't combine it with multi-hit abilities like trigger happy.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 6, 2014

Forseeable Fuchsia
Dec 28, 2011
While we're on about Final Fantasy, I'm playing FF12: International Zodiac Version. I never finished the normal game, and I have no idea what's going on with the new license board and the classes. Are certain people better for certain classes or something? Is there anything specific to the International edition that isn't on the wiki already?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Yes and no: some characters tend towards certain classes because of their natural character growth (Penello makes a better mage than a melee fighter, for example) but if you decide you want Basch to be your healer and Fran your front-line brawler, you won't be screwing yourself at all. Some character/class combinations will make the game easier, but you won't gently caress yourself over or make the game unplayable if you decide to do something different. So just go with whatever and have fun.

Oh, and the stupid 'if you check random chests in the middle of nowhere you screw yourself out of loot' thing? That's no longer in that version, so feel free to steal with merry abandon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Yes and no: some characters tend towards certain classes because of their natural character growth (Penello makes a better mage than a melee fighter, for example) but if you decide you want Basch to be your healer and Fran your front-line brawler, you won't be screwing yourself at all. Some character/class combinations will make the game easier, but you won't gently caress yourself over or make the game unplayable if you decide to do something different. So just go with whatever and have fun.

Oh, and the stupid 'if you check random chests in the middle of nowhere you screw yourself out of loot' thing? That's no longer in that version, so feel free to steal with merry abandon.

I'm not sure what was worse: the absurd "don't open these chests if you want the spear" thing, or the fact that you have to grind for every other 'ultimate' weapon. In a game with fun mechanical innovations, that was the stupidest loving thing.