Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Caphi posted:

They probably do mean the original owner (Aries and Aquarius are attached to who you'd think); it just makes me think that the original owner isn't as cut and dried as some of us have been assuming since Z2 ended. Or maybe it is, and they're just being incredibly cagey. Either way, it was something we thought worth noting.

I tried to remain neutral on that Capricorn-Reactor stuff since Z2 but after my recent realization that her name is, quite literally, "goat", I'm having a hard time not jumping to conclusions. :tinfoil:

The only thing that irks me is that it's being hinted at so heavily that it looks like there'll be bait-and-switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

But it also has Asakim listed as the "Inquisitive Goat" right to his left. As Brunom said, they're probably just referring to whoever Asakim had to gank to get that sphere.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Phlogistic posted:

But it also has Asakim listed as the "Inquisitive Goat" right to his left. As Brunom said, they're probably just referring to whoever Asakim had to gank to get that sphere.

:sigh:

Yes. This is obvious. We all know Asakim has it, and that he's the one associated with it, even though it's not his. None of this is under debate. What we are discussing is what possible reasons they have for being so coy and avoiding stating outright that the Curious Goat's Reactor was Zeine.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Well there is that character portrait at the end of Z3. They probably have something planned for it.

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

Caphi posted:

:sigh:

Yes. This is obvious. We all know Asakim has it, and that he's the one associated with it, even though it's not his. None of this is under debate. What we are discussing is what possible reasons they have for being so coy and avoiding stating outright that the Curious Goat's Reactor was Zeine.

Hey now, your original post was worded pretty ambiguously. :( You didn't say "original".

And they're not going to reveal that sort of thing in a guide book. Even if it's supposed to be obvious, they have to have their dramatic reveal.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
On a completely different topic, I know that there is at least one colony in the OG universe given Rai and Ratschel, but are there any others? I am trying to figure out how Trailers would fit into it and unless there are multiple colonies my assumption is that trailers would have to do stuff on the Earth as well.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

HiKaizer posted:

On a completely different topic, I know that there is at least one colony in the OG universe given Rai and Ratschel, but are there any others? I am trying to figure out how Trailers would fit into it and unless there are multiple colonies my assumption is that trailers would have to do stuff on the Earth as well.

There are definitely colonies around Jupiter, as Lune was out there training while the first DC War was going on in OG1, before she joins up with you.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
There's a named colony in the Giganscudo's backstory too, but for the most part you can assume they're there because Gundam has them. Ratzel is a more flamboyant Quattro, the UCC should be Zeon but are more like Anaheim, the DC took over the Zeon spot, and Rai is a less badass Sayla.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Kinda silly, but I hope if they bring back Original Aquarion for Z3.2 the intro for it is a theater showing of Legend of Aquaria/Aquarius/whatever theat dumb movie from EVOL is, with the original cast just mocking it Pierre flicking popcorn, etc. Because you know that they totally would just find it kinda hillarious, cheesy or in the case of Sirius, really ugly.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Quick Z3 question: is the SRW HD voucher that comes with Z3 cross-platform? So if I redeem the one I get with the Vita version can I download both PS3 and Vita versions or is it platform-specific?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The Geminia is apparently ridiculously huge, standing at 144.7 meters.

Edit: That or someone mixed the values between weight and height.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

They just wanted something to compete with the Neo Zeong.

Speaking of big robots why does the main character's robot in Z3 get so much bigger when it changes form? The whole game I thought it was just transforming but when if looked through the library it was actually getting much larger and a lot heavier.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jun 5, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The Neo Zeong is 116 meters, so if that figure's right it's not much of a competition.

Also Spheres are literally magic and this is a setting with both Spiral Energy and Getter Rays.

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

In the game the height and weight are the reverse, so yeah, they just mixed them up.

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

Use Orgonite Buster here!

Ethiser posted:

They just wanted something to compete with the Neo Zeong.

Speaking of big robots why does the main character's robot in Z3 get so much bigger when it changes form? The whole game I thought it was just transforming but when if looked through the library it was actually getting much larger and a lot heavier.

Genion GAI weights the same, it just gets bigger by repositioning it's limbs and turning around waist up.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
There's so many Banpresto things that transform in neat ways but I have no idea how they work due to no figures of them. The GAI baffles me, alongside that original mech the MX villains had in OG2nd that was like the Reborns Gundam but way cooler and more intricate, and of course Forte Gigas.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gyra_Solune posted:

There's so many Banpresto things that transform in neat ways but I have no idea how they work due to no figures of them. The GAI baffles me, alongside that original mech the MX villains had in OG2nd that was like the Reborns Gundam but way cooler and more intricate, and of course Forte Gigas.

Normally when they do combiners that have physical combination sequences that actually make sense people hate the way they look because they're often rather gaudy(as befits two or more giant robots ramming into each other). Fortegigas and the Solvrias Rex/Regina from K are two examples of relatively logical combiners that are unpopular.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
There's nothing about having two robots combining together that necessitates an explosion of colors and edges.

Forte Gigas in particular is hilarious because it has an attack where it splits apart, and you can actually watch the two halves become steadily more comprehensible. Apparently Ganador and Strega are completely different colors from the back.

EDIT: And I dunno what's logical about Solvrias Regina. I'll use these perfectly functional legs as skirt armor and stand on pegs!

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 5, 2014

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Kanos posted:

Normally when they do combiners that have physical combination sequences that actually make sense people hate the way they look because they're often rather gaudy(as befits two or more giant robots ramming into each other). Fortegigas and the Solvrias Rex/Regina from K are two examples of relatively logical combiners that are unpopular.

Forte Gigas is an unpopular design for other reasons, at least among the people I've spoken to about it, not because it's a relatively logical combiner. The most common reason is its bizarre colour scheme, which isn't so much a scheme as 'all of them', or its complex design with a lot of fiddly bits that did not show up well on the GBA. It's just a riot of bits.

It's semi-logical I guess, though Strega and especially Ganador are much better designs solo. I'm not sure why Strega suddenly gets pop-out knife toes, either.

Prism fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 5, 2014

KoB
May 1, 2009

Prism posted:

I'm not sure why Strega suddenly gets pop-out knife toes, either.

You can see them behind the feet, they flip forward during combination.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

KoB posted:

You can see them behind the feet, they flip forward during combination.

Well yes, they put them there. I can see that.

The question is why? I'm not sure why this was a design decision. They're not used for anything. Forte Gigas doesn't have any kicking attacks. (Neither does Strega.) They're not laser knives. They do nothing but clog up an already extremely busy design some more.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Prism posted:

The question is why? I'm not sure why this was a design decision. They're not used for anything. Forte Gigas doesn't have any kicking attacks. (Neither does Strega.) They're not laser knives. They do nothing but clog up an already extremely busy design some more.

Forte Gigas also doesnt use the Strega's hand guns (now on the hips) at all either :v:

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Prism posted:

Loads of OG designs have the toe spike thing, dunno if there is a supposed reason for it other than someone somewhere thinks it's cool.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Just look at the SRX and Banpreios, it's really big on the knife appendages! And just big in general...

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah but Ryusei is a proper robot pilot and knows that giant robots kicking stuff are super cool.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
If I have learned one thing from Super Robot Wars...

...it is that "THE NU GUNDAM ISN'T JUST FOR SHOW!"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Lostconfused posted:

Yeah but Ryusei is a proper robot pilot and knows that giant robots kicking stuff are super cool.

He didn't build the thing. Robert and the rest of the SRX scientists made a conscious decision that this giant fragile combining robot needs blades all over itself so it can punch and kick things better.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Kanos posted:

He didn't build the thing. Robert and the rest of the SRX scientists made a conscious decision that this giant fragile combining robot needs blades all over itself so it can punch and kick things better.

The SRX is many things, but fragile is most certainly not one of them.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Wasn't the combination originally restricted to a certain amount of turns, or something? If you've seen the full combination sequence, the R-bots might as well just be holding hands.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Materant posted:

The SRX is many things, but fragile is most certainly not one of them.

The original SRX was such a fragile piece of poo poo that it physically could not handle the combination process. In the first couple of games to feature it, it had a hard number of total combinations you were allowed to activate in the *entire game*, after which point you weren't allowed to combine it anymore because the R series were under such strain that they would destroy themselves if they tried to combine again. Keep in mind that significant segments of the SRX are actually being held together by the TK powers of Aya, Ryusei, and later Mai, which is why the drat thing falls apart if either of them get disabled or stunned in some way. It's hardly a sturdy machine.

They eventually upgrade it to the point where it can maintain the combination without literally destroying itself from within, but the fragility concern never really goes away; the ART series was created with the idea of "Let's make an SRX that isn't a fragile patchwork mess" in mind. In the Alpha series the destruction of the SRX and the full scale invasion of the Balmar/Buff Clan/STMC forces the team's hand and they just scrap the combination sequence altogether in favor of a much more stable fixed platform in the Banpreios to get it functional in time. We haven't gotten to see the true Advanced SRX or whatever it will be called, since the Banpreios was basically a panicked hackjob.

Mechanically, you're right of course. The SRX is a top tier OG super robot so of course it's built like a wall of iron.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 6, 2014

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

EthanSteele posted:

Loads of OG designs have the toe spike thing, dunno if there is a supposed reason for it other than someone somewhere thinks it's cool.

This is my least favorite thing about OG mech design. It looks ridiculous, and most of my favorites tend not to have them.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Kanos posted:

The original SRX was such a fragile piece of poo poo that it physically could not handle the combination process. In the first couple of games to feature it, it had a hard number of total combinations you were allowed to activate in the *entire game*, after which point you weren't allowed to combine it anymore because the R series were under such strain that they would destroy themselves if they tried to combine again.

I thought the combination limit was because Ingram stole, destroyed, or otherwise made unavailable the Tronium it ran on, except for a very limited amount - not a fragility concern but a fuel one. That's why it didn't have the limit in OG - he didn't do that.

And then with Banpreios, I thought they just wanted it on the field ASAP instead of fussing with it. Locking it in place was to make it faster to build because they didn't have to care about the transformation gear, especially since SRX was just gone and they didn't have it to work from, along with the possibility of not having three pilots for it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Prism posted:

I thought the combination limit was because Ingram stole, destroyed, or otherwise made unavailable the Tronium it ran on, except for a very limited amount - not a fragility concern but a fuel one. That's why it didn't have the limit in OG - he didn't do that.

And then with Banpreios, I thought they just wanted it on the field ASAP instead of fussing with it. Locking it in place was to make it faster to build because they didn't have to care about the transformation gear, especially since SRX was just gone and they didn't have it to work from, along with the possibility of not having three pilots for it.

If you take the Kyosuke route in OG1, they combine once and then it's done because the thing can't handle doing it again, fuel or no fuel. The Ryusei route lets you keep it because man it would suck to not get the SRX after suffering through Ryusei's stupid route.

You basically repeated what I said on the Banpreios. Making a stable combination sequence that works in combat and isn't super fragile or vulnerable to breakup is apparently really hard and time consuming, so they just said "gently caress it" and fixed the Banpreios together to get it out there and working since it was an emergency. Presumably the real Advanced SRX with combination would be substantially stronger, because otherwise why would they bother with a combination sequence in the first place?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Man, that is not a question you want to apply real-world logic too. That combination that adds more moving parts and less structural integrity? Yes, it makes the robot stronger. This is what we choose to believe.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

HitTheTargets posted:

Man, that is not a question you want to apply real-world logic too. That combination that adds more moving parts and less structural integrity? Yes, it makes the robot stronger. This is what we choose to believe.

Something something Uranus System something something Power of Teamwork something something Psychodrivers.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Kanos posted:

Something something Uranus System something something Power of Teamwork something something Psychodrivers.

I can tell you got a doctorate in Super Robotology.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Kanos posted:

If you take the Kyosuke route in OG1, they combine once and then it's done because the thing can't handle doing it again, fuel or no fuel. The Ryusei route lets you keep it because man it would suck to not get the SRX after suffering through Ryusei's stupid route.

You basically repeated what I said on the Banpreios. Making a stable combination sequence that works in combat and isn't super fragile or vulnerable to breakup is apparently really hard and time consuming, so they just said "gently caress it" and fixed the Banpreios together to get it out there and working since it was an emergency. Presumably the real Advanced SRX with combination would be substantially stronger, because otherwise why would they bother with a combination sequence in the first place?

First: phone posting so sorry for any typos that slip in.

I only did Ryusei's route and assumed it would be the canon one regarding SRX so I'll agree with that first part.

As for the other, I didn't repeat what you said because that's not what I meant. It's a timesaver because they only had to finish making Banpreios mobile as opposed to Banpreios and its three bits. No need to even put engines or whatever in the individual pieces. Plus, with Aya being taken by the Balmar and believed dead, this let them think about trying to use it without having someone trained to fly R-3 solo (even though they ended up getting her back anyway).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Prism posted:

As for the other, I didn't repeat what you said because that's not what I meant. It's a timesaver because they only had to finish making Banpreios mobile as opposed to Banpreios and its three bits. No need to even put engines or whatever in the individual pieces. Plus, with Aya being taken by the Balmar and believed dead, this let them think about trying to use it without having someone trained to fly R-3 solo (even though they ended up getting her back anyway).

I said: "In the Alpha series the destruction of the SRX and the full scale invasion of the Balmar/Buff Clan/STMC forces the team's hand and they just scrap the combination sequence altogether in favor of a much more stable fixed platform in the Banpreios to get it functional in time. We haven't gotten to see the true Advanced SRX or whatever it will be called, since the Banpreios was basically a panicked hackjob."

You said: "And then with Banpreios, I thought they just wanted it on the field ASAP instead of fussing with it. Locking it in place was to make it faster to build because they didn't have to care about the transformation gear, especially since SRX was just gone and they didn't have it to work from, along with the possibility of not having three pilots for it."

Both statements amount to "In order to get the Banpreios ready on the quick, they scrapped the separate units/combination functionality and fixed the thing together to rush it out in time to actually fight the Balmar/STMC/Buff Clan".

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

HitTheTargets posted:

1 Robot is strong

3 Robots are stronger.

Obviously a robot made of three other robots is the strongest!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dr Pepper posted:

1 Robot is strong

3 Robots are stronger.

Obviously a robot made of three other robots is the strongest!
I still haven't seen a double combining super robot, where each part of it is made of multiple smaller robots that are already combined.

edit: nested robots like Gurren Lagann are awesome though. I have a robot so big it fits over my other robot.

• Locked thread