Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

whatshesaid posted:

This.

I wasn't one bit disturbed by the "rape" scene. It's Louie and Pamela. They know each other well enough that this shouldn't destroy their relationship. She's a vacillating and conniving bitch, and he's a clumsy genius. I won't go so far as to say that she "deserved" it, but I understand it. He was frustrated and full of all kinds of emotions, and she was being purposefully ambiguous (read: bitch). He took a chance. Her joking around made it like yellow caution lights, instead of red stop lights. Or maybe I'm just so infatuated with Louis CK I can't find any fault in his artistic expressions. I dunno. But I'm surprised at all the backlash here. I didn't find a thing wrong with it, all things considering.

I did tear up at his commitment to save his family, even in the worst of the storm. It was completely irrational for him to even be outside, let alone rent a car and drive across town. The crazy dog guy was one example of evidence of the absurdity of him doing that. But he wouldn't have even imagined not going after them. He loves them much more than he cares for his own safety. "I thought we were going to die, but we didn't!" God I love this show.

:goonsay:

Jesus loving Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
That post is way more disturbing than the actual scene.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Did ZombiePlague buy a new account or something? Jesus gently caress.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
It was a hosed up but incredibly well-done scene. Comedy is often about errors characters make when they assume that they know what another character is talking about or what that character feels. The scene had all the hallmarks of a "classic misunderstanding" but framed in a completely different and frankly scary light.

Watching the scene, the viewer goes in assuming that they have a reasonably good handle on Louie as a character and Pamela as a character. He's an idiot, she avoids actual intimacy by skirting around it with insults. Her texting Louie a picture of her flipping the bird rather than a "Hey, I'm back in town" is a pretty good indication of the way her character treats the friendship.

However, the point at which he starts moving her towards the bedroom (towards his kids room too, but in the tension of the scene it's easy to forget) you forget everything you "know" about the characters and it gets genuinely scary. You don't know what's going through their heads and while the scene ends on a positive note (Louie was right that she still had some interest in him but that he had completely misread the situation), it leaves the viewer deeply unsettled.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

dantheman650 posted:

There was nothing ambiguous about Pamela's signs to Louie inside his apartment. If those are "yellow lights" to you, I don't even know what to say. You are part of the problem. Those were loud, clear, red light, stop immediately signs.

I agree that it wasn't ambiguous, but I feel like Pamela would be a lot more violent and angry if she felt Louie was a real threat. My interpretation was that she knows how much of a pathetic, desperate blob Louie is and that he was just obviously suffering from "whatever happened with that lady he was dating". She knew he wasn't his regular self. That's not to say what Louie was trying to do was anything less than pure assholish behaviour. Just yeah, I think the "yellow lights" comment was fair enough and not as dismissive as you think.

I'm interested in seeing the next interaction Louie has with Pamela. I'm sure that'll help clear up some of this.

bubblelubble fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 5, 2014

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

dantheman650 posted:

There was nothing ambiguous about Pamela's signs to Louie inside his apartment. If those are "yellow lights" to you, I don't even know what to say. You are part of the problem. Those were loud, clear, red light, stop immediately signs.

But no one is trying to justify or rationalise what Louie did and anyone who disagrees or points out when it happens is just a whiny SJW.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I think it's fairly obvious that the season finale in two weeks will have an argument that radically redefines Louie and Pamela's relationship and it could go either way. She finally gets worn down by Louie constantly telling her "I really, really want to have sex with you" for four seasons or she makes it clear to him that he hosed up and as a result torpedoed their friendship. Or something inbetween.

I just wish people wouldn't treat that scene in the first part of a three-episode arc as if it was meant to stand on its own. His fist pump isn't the moral of the loving story. That comes later.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 5, 2014

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like Louis C.K. for the most part, but this show just gets more pretentious and weird with every season and I'm not sure I'm on board with it anymore. It seems to be slowly turning into some barely watchable Lars Von Trier movie.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The fact that Louie actually had a positive "yessss" takeaway from that scene was the whole point, I feel. It was so messed up, it's deeply, deeply black comedy, and not at all out of character for the show or his stand up. To me it felt like he was actually tring to visualize one of those jokes where the whole punchline is just so absurdly out there and deliberately offensive.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 5, 2014

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

PostNouveau posted:

This sounds amazing.

Good news! While initially disappointed I couldn't find it on YT, turns out the show is on Hulu. It's probably dated a bit as it's a British multi cam that's essentially a remake of Friends, but it's far far far better than the US version that was a further remake of it, and it had some genuinely funny ideas. I'm pretty sure this episode will work as standalone as it was from the first series...

http://www.hulu.com/watch/177553

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Good news! While initially disappointed I couldn't find it on YT, turns out the show is on Hulu. It's probably dated a bit as it's a British multi cam that's essentially a remake of Friends, but it's far far far better than the US version that was a further remake of it, and it had some genuinely funny ideas. I'm pretty sure this episode will work as standalone as it was from the first series...

http://www.hulu.com/watch/177553

Ha, yeah that's pretty solid for a Friends remake.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it feels a bit weird to post something like that in the Louie thread because they're worlds apart, but it's an oft forgotten little show that had at least one fantastic writer. It also has a special place in my heart because the guy who plays Jeff (the main guy in that episode) isn't Welsh despite his character having a strong accent, and I never considered it was put on.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

whatshesaid posted:

I wasn't one bit disturbed by the "rape" scene. It's Louie and Pamela. They know each other well enough that this shouldn't destroy their relationship. She's a vacillating and conniving bitch, and he's a clumsy genius. I won't go so far as to say that she "deserved" it, but I understand it. He was frustrated and full of all kinds of emotions, and she was being purposefully ambiguous (read: bitch). He took a chance. Her joking around made it like yellow caution lights, instead of red stop lights. Or maybe I'm just so infatuated with Louis CK I can't find any fault in his artistic expressions. I dunno. But I'm surprised at all the backlash here. I didn't find a thing wrong with it, all things considering.

I feel like you're the kind of person Louie was trying to teach with that scene. Sucks that it backfired.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Kevyn posted:

That post is way more disturbing than the actual scene.
It's exactly what I was afraid of when the scene aired. To anybody who got the scene, Louie would just be preaching to the choir. To the other side, it seems to validate their "she was asking for it" rhetoric.

I hoped I was just being pessimistic, but we literally just heard an argument that Pamela deserved to be raped because she's a bitch.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh poo poo, it's happening isn't it?

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
And here I thought I had to crawl Reddit to find posts like that. Silly me.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

No Wave posted:

The stand-up was incredibly self-serving, which I guess was sort of the point. Who in America doesn't take domestic violence against women seriously? I can't think of anyone I know who isn't viscerally shocked at the sight of a man hitting a woman. People gasped in horror at Wolf of Wall Street, a movie in which a plane blows up for laughs.

If you want to talk about feminism on the show, talk about how useless his ex-wife was when push came to shove during the hurricane.
I really, deeply, envy that you can ask this in earnest.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

whatshesaid posted:

This.

I did tear up at his commitment to save his family, even in the worst of the storm. It was completely irrational for him to even be outside, let alone rent a car and drive across town. The crazy dog guy was one example of evidence of the absurdity of him doing that. But he wouldn't have even imagined not going after them. He loves them much more than he cares for his own safety. "I thought we were going to die, but we didn't!" God I love this show.

No means no you loving rape apologist creep.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Louie didn't save his family, they could have simply stayed where they were. That whole contrived situation seemed to exist only as a sort of counterbalance to his attempted rape, as if to show us that he isn't or can't be really evil since he cares for his children.

Man, Louis CK is turning into tv's Kevin Smith, with apologists finding ways to justify his awful unfunny choice of material. The show would probably be better with someone else as director. And the fake ad-libbiness of the dialog is really starting to grate on me.
Come on, I have never heard a human being person talk speak in the manner he says things his lines and words like. Come on now, really.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Binary Logic posted:

Man, Louis CK is turning into tv's Kevin Smith, with apologists finding ways to justify his awful unfunny choice of material. The show would probably be better with someone else as director. And the fake ad-libbiness of the dialog is really starting to grate on me.
Come on, I have never heard a human being person talk speak in the manner he says things his lines and words like. Come on now, really.

I agree with all of this 100%

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
That hurricane bit is way more in service of Amia's story arc than anything else. It highlights how important your children are, and how much weight they have on your life. In their most dramatic moment together, Louie leaves a distraught Amia for his daughters. And so it goes without saying that Amia's own son is just as important to her, and she needs to return to him as well.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 6, 2014

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
Garbage men don't actually break into houses!! also still wondering where Louie parked his helicopter in S1. it doesn't make any sense that he would have a private helicopter, but is must have been teased for some reason.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:
Wow. I apologize for creating a poo poo storm. It was a serious post, and I never meant to insinuate that he should have raped her. He didn't. He kissed her and let her go. If he had raped her, that would have been truly, truly hosed up. He was highly emotional and did something stupid and slightly out of character, but he did not and would not have raped her. She had been loving with his head, and I feel like with that scene, he called her on her bullshit. It was wrong, but he did not rape her. I don't think they should ever see each other again. He ruined everything, as usual.

That's all I'm saying about that. My apologies. Carry on.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

whatshesaid posted:

Wow. I apologize for creating a poo poo storm. It was a serious post, and I never meant to insinuate that he should have raped her. He didn't. He kissed her and let her go. If he had raped her, that would have been truly, truly hosed up. He was highly emotional and did something stupid and slightly out of character, but he did not and would not have raped her. She had been loving with his head, and I feel like with that scene, he called her on her bullshit. It was wrong, but he did not rape her. I don't think they should ever see each other again. He ruined everything, as usual.

It was still sexual assault.

Anyway, I'm nervous about where the last two episodes are going to take this story arc. For as much as I want some resolution to that scene, the fallout I feel is going to be pretty drat uncomfortable to sit through, too.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

whatshesaid posted:

Ohhhh, is that what that was? Because it looked like he trapped her in his apartment and attempted to drag her to bed and pull her clothes off. But I guess I just don't understand how calling someone on their bullshit works.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

whatshesaid posted:

Disregarding the rest of the scene, and how wrong you are, kissing someone without their consent is still sexual assault. You really should know and accept this for yours and other people's good.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

This whole season has been an effort to watch. There have been a few bits that I've liked, mostly the more surreal and offbeat stuff like the news reports, but everything else feels really flat and slightly masturbatory.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Probably the one thing I'll never understand in TVIV is the person who posts "I hate this show and everything it stands for, and I'll keep telling you so after every episode I keep watching"

There are literally other things to do than watch a tv show you despise. Even beyond just watching another channel! There's like an entire world right outside your door, chock full of things that won't leave you in a bitter rage.

Why anyone would subject themselves to something they hate ... I guess I don't have enough of the masochist streak in me to ever truly comprehend it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It feels cruel to call CK the Kevin Smith of TV the year he seemingly finally learnt how to be a visual director.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bown posted:

It feels cruel to call CK the Kevin Smith of TV the year he seemingly finally learnt how to be a visual director.

A bunch of the arty shots remind me of something that would be in a comedy that was making fun of art house films.

I do think he is far more talented than Kevin Smith in general though, even if I sort of agree with the comparison. I think he's getting up his own rear end a little too much at this point.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jun 6, 2014

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

Emerson Cod posted:

It was a hosed up but incredibly well-done scene. Comedy is often about errors characters make when they assume that they know what another character is talking about or what that character feels. The scene had all the hallmarks of a "classic misunderstanding" but framed in a completely different and frankly scary light.

Louie is the Mr Furley of our generation.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

whatshesaid posted:

He 'called her on her bullshit' by committing sexual assault. You're still trying to find ways to shift the blame on to Pamela by saying she asked for it by acting like a bitch, can you not see why people might have a problem with that? Why do you think he would have stopped trying to rape her of his own accord if she hadn't been fighting him of?

Clark Kent
Feb 22, 2013

Binary Logic posted:

Louie didn't save his family, they could have simply stayed where they were. That whole contrived situation seemed to exist only as a sort of counterbalance to his attempted rape, as if to show us that he isn't or can't be really evil since he cares for his children.

I think the point wasn't show he cant be evil, but rather to show his distorted sense of what it is to be a man, his delusional mindset, and how that ultimately leads him to do what he did to pamela. Louis is trying to act macho like and is using hollywood as his model. All these things that are positioned to show him as a good guy are not meant to excuse the rape scene. They are showing that the rapist is often the guy we know and like, who seems to me a nice guy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
One reason the scene is so problematic is Louie went out of the way to make Pamela really unlikable the past few episodes by making her be so horrible to Louie, so then people like that poster sympathize with Louie instead of the assault victim. It doesn't matter how much she insults him or flicks his balls(to paraphrase his stand up act), its still sexual assault and he's still an attempted rapist and its still 100% his fault. However he conditioned people like that poster to never think about taken her side.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man, she wasn't that horrible. She wanted to date him, and he said no, then came crawling back to her and got rejected. She may have been bitchy, but that's always been her persona, he knows her like that. It was pretty fair really.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

regulargonzalez posted:

Probably the one thing I'll never understand in TVIV is the person who posts "I hate this show and everything it stands for, and I'll keep telling you so after every episode I keep watching"

There are literally other things to do than watch a tv show you despise. Even beyond just watching another channel! There's like an entire world right outside your door, chock full of things that won't leave you in a bitter rage.

Why anyone would subject themselves to something they hate ... I guess I don't have enough of the masochist streak in me to ever truly comprehend it.

A raging storm going on. Soaking wet, Louie enters the brightly lit car rental shop and hears pleasant canned music. Young clerk at the counter smiles and says, "Welcome to Hertz, how may I help you?"
That was pretty funny.

Attempted rape? Not so funny. The other disturbing factor in that scene is the size differential as Louie towers over Pamela, pinning her up against the door and not letting her leave.

edit: since you don't understand, let me try to explain: I'm a media junkie. I'll watch anything and everything. This week I went to a theatre to see Jodorowsky's Dune because he's a fascinating guy. And near the end of the doc he says he went to see the De Laurentiis produced movie. He didn't want to, he didn't want to...finally he was dragged to the movie and watched it and...it was poo poo! He was so happy!
So then I had to watch it, the David Lynch directed Dune movie which I hadn't seen in decades and...yeah, it is poo poo. Over 2 hours of tedious, overly expository and dull scifi dreck. Such a shame but worth viewing to remember what was, and what might have been.

Clark Kent posted:

I think the point wasn't show he cant be evil, but rather to show his distorted sense of what it is to be a man, his delusional mindset, and how that ultimately leads him to do what he did to pamela. Louis is trying to act macho like and is using hollywood as his model. All these things that are positioned to show him as a good guy are not meant to excuse the rape scene. They are showing that the rapist is often the guy we know and like, who seems to me a nice guy.
Okay, good observation. After being his usual passive self and losing Amia he's decided to change and be a take-charge guy, a doer not a thinker. That's also seen on the bus when he decides to speak up about the spitter.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 6, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
She seemed a lot meaner than in previous seasons. Especially the whole "No one would ever want to be with you" stuff. Kind of like Todd Barry's "Your kids suck" except it seemed more of a serious statement. With Todd Barry it only comes off as funny because he's somehow twice as pathetic as Louie.

I do feel like Pamela is almost a completely different character than she was in season 2, probably set up that way in service to this story arc.

I really liked her in season 2 too. I'm afraid Louis C.K. tried to make her unsympathetic so we wouldn't hate him too much for that scene. And my fears are somewhat exacerbated when I see people like that poster basically confirming that's how they interpreted it. I guess I have to watch the fallout to see exactly where Louis is going with Louie. The absolute worst indictment on him would be if it just isn't addressed further.

greatn fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 6, 2014

Clark Kent
Feb 22, 2013

greatn posted:

One reason the scene is so problematic is Louie went out of the way to make Pamela really unlikable the past few episodes by making her be so horrible to Louie, so then people like that poster sympathize with Louie instead of the assault victim. It doesn't matter how much she insults him or flicks his balls(to paraphrase his stand up act), its still sexual assault and he's still an attempted rapist and its still 100% his fault. However he conditioned people like that poster to never think about taken her side.

I had the opposite reaction. At first, yes i shared Louie's frustration that she made the offer and rescinded it (though that was her right and he was being selfish changing his mind after the Amia thing ended---really who wants to be the rebound). But that look of fear on Pamela's face right as the roe scene was starting made me sympathize 100% with her. It reminded me of the look of dread on that reporter who was assaulted by the crowd in Egypt (think it was Egypt at least). I think he had to do it the way he did to make his point, which was really that Louie is absolutely self centered and oblivious to anything but his own desires, that he is using woman like means to an end, and a little delusional in how he sees things.mhe wanted the make viewer to struggle with their own biases. I suppose there is the risk that some viewers will not struggle and accept Louie's behavior because the identify with him and like him. I found myself having a serious questioning of my own attitudes on the issue.

Clark Kent
Feb 22, 2013

Binary Logic posted:

Okay, good observation. After being his usual passive self and losing Amia he's decided to change and be a take-charge guy, a doer not a thinker. That's also seen on the bus when he decides to speak up about the spitter.

And the scene on the bus really highlighted what a hypocrite he is (at least in the past episode). I mean he just tried to rape a woman and now he is getting all self righteous about some guy spittiing on the bus. He also have to wonder, would he have done that if the spitter was white?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

Bown posted:

Man, she wasn't that horrible. She wanted to date him, and he said no, then came crawling back to her and got rejected. She may have been bitchy, but that's always been her persona, he knows her like that. It was pretty fair really.

Yes! She's always been this blunt (although perhaps she's been a little bitchier this season cos of Louie's rejection) - the point is that Louie's the one who changed without her. I mean, he's reverted a little back to his jerkish self since Amia left, but he's still essentially changed since Pamela left for overseas. The juxtaposition just makes her seem a lot meaner since returning.

• Locked thread