Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Concerning the retronauts speedrun episode

A2600 speedruns are really taking off recently. There's been a whole bunch of new TASes. A couple examples:
http://tasvideos.org/4291S.html
http://tasvideos.org/4114S.html

Werster was being facetious when he said that the character name affected RNG in pokemon. He named the character YSG because it was an in-joke. If a runner ever tells you that they're doing something to manipulate luck, they're usually joking.

The label actually does change for different versions of a game:
http://www.zeldaspeedruns.com/oot/generalknowledge/version-differences

About emulator usage, it's not that emulators aren't used because they're considered to be imperfect (well, not the good ones). Many people run Ocarina of Time on emulator. The reason that iQue runs have to be done on real hardware is that there is not an iQue emulator. And the reason that SDA disallows them is mostly because of issues with verifying that the run wasn't cheated.

C-Euro posted:

I'm listening to this now and wanted to ask, do you have any specific speedruns that you enjoy? I love speedruns both tool'd and tool-less, and was really excited when I saw the topic, but about 30 seconds into the episode I realized you really, really do need visual examples to talk about speedrunning (which you can't do with a podcast). There's a Mega Man 1 TAS that is absolutely insane to me, the guy somehow makes an enemy spawn those end-the-level tokens that the bosses drop :psyduck: Here it is, and I was wrong because he makes the level just spontaneously end at one point :psypop:

I see that you haven't seen this:

http://tasvideos.org/4308S.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ThaShaneTrain posted:

My friend and I recently started a podcast about Kerbal Space program: http://kerbalpodcast.libsyn.com/

We're three episodes in and it's been pretty fun. We started it on the premise that one of us had played close to 500 hours of the game and the other guy didn't have it until a week before recording.
This sounds fun as hell, I'll be sure to check it out soon! :)

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Really wishing I'd downloaded and played Alpha Protocol in time for WOFF now. I totally forgot Taipei was in it as a location, and since that's where I've lived for a few years now....

I only just got to the Taipei safehouse, but so far I'm pretty impressed. The stores out the ground-level windows are all actually in Traditional Chinese (not Simplified, which is what they use in China), and are correct, sensible names for the stores. They also made the shower one of those "handheld" things, which is basically the default kind of shower here. The odds of getting a ground-level apartment anywhere in Taipei are laughable though, but not nearly as laughable as the idea of a shithole apartment with a wooden floor.

Also if I'm reading that satellite map correctly, I think the safehouse is about here, which isn't actually in Taipei City, although I guess it is in Taipei County (or now New Taipei City), so close enough. They also picked a place that's such a crowded, rundown shithole no-one would ever think to look for a rogue superspy there. When it was still classified as its own city, that area was the second most densely populated city in the world, and it's right up the road from one of Taipei's industrial armpits.

I'll be interested to see how it goes from here. I fully expected "Taipei" to just be Stereotype Hong Kong with a different name, but even just with that start they're actually doing pretty good.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
That's really great information to know. Attention to detail like that is a wonderful thing. I might work that into the Followup section of an upcoming extrasode, time permitting.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Okay, I just listened to the start of the newest WOFF and all I want to say is; KOLE, THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS! :qq:

Though seriously, this is probably the best sketch you guys have done, awesome job! Can't wait to finish the episode

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Well, one mission in and... today's lesson is "there is such a thing as giving someone too much credit." All the signage - all the signage - in the Grand Hotel is simultaneously in the wrong written script and horribly translated, most likely by Google Translate or a relative. The latter's pretty self-explanatory, but on the former, you know how people make fun of the voice actors in some Ubisoft games for playing non-Canadian characters with obviously Canadian accents? That's about the closest I can think, except in this case it's writing and not speaking, obviously. Except it's a little grosser when you remember Simplified Chinese is the writing system of a country that literally has thousands of missiles pointed right at Taiwan.

Oh and this? The view out of the Grand Hotel?

That's loving Hong Kong.

This is the Grand Hotel:

And this is the view (out the front, at least):

Touch wood things get better - all the names of people work and make sense so far, which would've been way easier to screw up - but my expectations have definitely been lowered.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

TetsuoTW posted:

Well, one mission in and... today's lesson is "there is such a thing as giving someone too much credit." All the signage - all the signage - in the Grand Hotel is simultaneously in the wrong written script and horribly translated, most likely by Google Translate or a relative. The latter's pretty self-explanatory, but on the former, you know how people make fun of the voice actors in some Ubisoft games for playing non-Canadian characters with obviously Canadian accents? That's about the closest I can think, except in this case it's writing and not speaking, obviously. Except it's a little grosser when you remember Simplified Chinese is the writing system of a country that literally has thousands of missiles pointed right at Taiwan.

Oh and this? The view out of the Grand Hotel?

That's loving Hong Kong.

This is the Grand Hotel:

And this is the view (out the front, at least):

Touch wood things get better - all the names of people work and make sense so far, which would've been way easier to screw up - but my expectations have definitely been lowered.

They got the railings right.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Reminds me of this. It's definitely a problem. I think Rockstar was smart to set GTA in fictional-but-obviously-X cities.

The unevenness might be related to time-issues. IIRC Alpha Protocol had development and publisher problems (obsidian.txt.)

I really like AP, but I still have problems with some of the characters and dialogue. I feel like the aggressive and suave-type characters and actions get the dickishness of James Bond/Jack Bauer, but not the humor or fun. With the exception of Stephen Heck, who is a treasure.

Edit: And the boss fights are really out-of-place. There's a lot of rough spots, but I still played it three times.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TetsuoTW posted:

Well, one mission in and... today's lesson is "there is such a thing as giving someone too much credit." All the signage - all the signage - in the Grand Hotel is simultaneously in the wrong written script and horribly translated, most likely by Google Translate or a relative.

Speaking Arabic you can imagine how angry most modern shooters make me with this stuff :v:

Some games literally don't bother installing the Arabic Script support so instead of the letters being read right to left and being connected, they are read left to right and standalone which makes no sense.

In Spec Ops they spell Dubai as the equivalent of I A B U D. With the spaces in there. On the main page you see when you launch the game.

The best arabic translation I have ever seen in a game is the background of Metal Slug 2's first level, where the signs say things like "I have diarrhea" in a dialect people would actually speak

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Championchik, dammit.

Also Championchik is responsible for the best Brayko line https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ICwJHlehBU&t=39s

Seriously though, excellent choice of topic and I am super hyped for the MCA interview. Now do GOD HAND.

moller fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 1, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Randallteal posted:

Reminds me of this. It's definitely a problem. I think Rockstar was smart to set GTA in fictional-but-obviously-X cities.

The unevenness might be related to time-issues. IIRC Alpha Protocol had development and publisher problems (obsidian.txt.)

Considering Homeland specifically, I'd expect that to be more of a theming issue than a time and budget one. They don't want to humanize those dirty foreign terrorist cities more than they have to.

And yeah Rockstar definitely had it right with "Welcome to *wink wink nudge nudge* Vice City!" Because otherwise you get people making a big deal that a some building's balcony facing the wrong cityscape rather than the beach, etc. That still happened in GTA 5 anyway.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

moller posted:

Championchik, dammit.

Also Championchik is responsible for the best Brayko line https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ICwJHlehBU&t=39s

Seriously though, excellent choice of topic and I am super hyped for the MCA interview. Now do GOD HAND.

I have never seen that scene before. This game, man. This game.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Man, 2006 Chris Remo kinda cared a lot about review scores.

Also wow 2006 was a long loving time ago.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

moller posted:

Championchik, dammit.

I'll own that one. In a stroke of Punch Out-esque cultural insensitivity, I assumed all Russian boxers had names that end in "-ski" when I was making the notes for that episode.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Crowbear posted:

Haha, I saw this earlier today, and it's such a good example of what Jake was talking about when he dug up some of his old forum posts. Most of us probably said some really horrible things online at one point.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Crowbear posted:

Welcome to the a steady march to the grave!

Also:

quote:

I haven't played Getting Up either, but I don't really think I need to.

The more things change the more they stay the same. (Just busting your balls Chris don't worry)

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Speaking of not needing to play a game, the most recent thumbs about W_D and Wolfenstein was just silly. I'd rather someone just not talk about something if they had no interest in said thing and did not experience said thing.

The 20 minutes or so of navel gazing about AAA games appealing to the lowest common denominator being disappointing would have been interesting if it had examples.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Their protracted disapproval of something that Watch_Dogs doesn't actually do was pretty stupid.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

Captain Internet posted:

Speaking of not needing to play a game, the most recent thumbs about W_D and Wolfenstein was just silly. I'd rather someone just not talk about something if they had no interest in said thing and did not experience said thing.

The 20 minutes or so of navel gazing about AAA games appealing to the lowest common denominator being disappointing would have been interesting if it had examples.

I'm not a big fan of long discussions about games they haven't played, but Chris, at least, said he actually wanted to play the new Wolfenstein. I hope he does because I'm interested in what his reaction will be to the game. If I had to bet on it, I would say it will be negative overall, but I hope to be surprised since I thought it was a very good (if problematic :v:) game.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I haven't played Watch_Dogs yet, but it sounded like their disapproval was not with what it did, but the lost potential of it, based on the original teaser trailers.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Bobulus posted:

I haven't played Watch_Dogs yet, but it sounded like their disapproval was not with what it did, but the lost potential of it, based on the original teaser trailers.

Yeah, I actually enjoyed the discussion because it so mirrored my own feelings.

But on the other hand, I can see how people who haven't actually played a game poo poo talking it could get up the nose of people who have played it and liked it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Crowbear posted:

2006 Chris Remo: Really upset about Tony Hawk

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Pasco posted:

Yeah, I actually enjoyed the discussion because it so mirrored my own feelings.

But on the other hand, I can see how people who haven't actually played a game poo poo talking it could get up the nose of people who have played it and liked it.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I look at games like Watch Dogs and there's this sense that there's nothing there for me.

I regularly watch Hulu for the Simpsons and other stuff, and so that's the only place I practically ever see ads for just about anything. Movies, TV shows, drugs, cars, games, these tend to flare up and fade with me hardly knowing. I exist in a wonderful cultural black hole where I just rarely glimpse into the awful world of advertising.

The only advertising I've seen at all for Watch Dogs is for this dumb exclusive launch DLC which has your player character getting extra money from an ATM. He then goes shopping for outfits. He holds up a coffee shop. He drives an expensive speedboat. It makes the game look exactly like GTA IV or Saints Row: a sheen of violence, boring humor, and money-objects, all no doubt masking the tedium of getting to all that content.

I'm not a game reviewer or a podcaster, so I don't have to be as informed or correct in my views about things, but I really can't blame three busy guys for not wanting to look further into a game that looks so drat samey.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I have not played Watch Dogs and not interested in doing so, but my understanding of its mechanics is that killing people by any means negatively impacts your reputation, and no amount of positive reputation will stop civilians from calling the police on you if you fire your gun.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

Captain Internet posted:

It was one of my favorites in a long time. It had an energy Idle Thumbs hasn't had since... pre-kickstarter return? I'll gladly take them pooping on some boring AAA open world titles over those weeks and weeks where no one had played anything but time-waster phone games and all sounded like they wanted to lie down.

Edit : I was conflating eps 160 and 158. They're both great, but 158 is my favorite in a long time. 160 is great too! I hope they keep playing games and having stuff to talk about.

Trexy fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 3, 2014

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I did not at all expect to hear Idle Thumbs read an newspaper article from the city I live in.

Happy to hear that others in my city support the always downtrodden Waluigi.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

doctorfrog posted:

Yeah, I feel the same way. I look at games like Watch Dogs and there's this sense that there's nothing there for me.

I regularly watch Hulu for the Simpsons and other stuff, and so that's the only place I practically ever see ads for just about anything. Movies, TV shows, drugs, cars, games, these tend to flare up and fade with me hardly knowing. I exist in a wonderful cultural black hole where I just rarely glimpse into the awful world of advertising.

The only advertising I've seen at all for Watch Dogs is for this dumb exclusive launch DLC which has your player character getting extra money from an ATM. He then goes shopping for outfits. He holds up a coffee shop. He drives an expensive speedboat. It makes the game look exactly like GTA IV or Saints Row: a sheen of violence, boring humor, and money-objects, all no doubt masking the tedium of getting to all that content.

I'm not a game reviewer or a podcaster, so I don't have to be as informed or correct in my views about things, but I really can't blame three busy guys for not wanting to look further into a game that looks so drat samey.
Yeah I missed the marketing as well, I have just been jonesing for a new GTA-like experience. Watch Dogs has hit that itch pretty well on the mark, despite its kinda-janky driving and shooting. Once you get a decent feel for the "Hacking" stuff in-game, it's pretty fun to just roll away from the cops and then stop them all with a well-timed road blocker and then hiding under a bridge for a few seconds to stop 'choppers from seeing you.

And getting money is LAUGHABLY easy in this game - as in I'll often hit an ATM after 20-45 minutes and gain 100k-150k - so the ATM boost is unnecessary, and the idea that ANYTHING is gated early on is, well, laughable because there are no areas of the map you can't reach, no weapons you can't buy immediately, and the hacking skills are only gated off by like 4 or 5 campaign missions (once you pwn the girl with the dragon tattoo, the game's entirely open basically,) and the accrual of skill points - which you gain through both EXP and every time you do certain mission types as well. You can apparently hit the level cap and have more skill points than you can spend, from accounts in the game thread that I've seen.

I've never bothered to hold up a store in WD - I literally cannot see the point of doing so until/unless I see an achievement for it or some poo poo. The protagonist is a laughably barren and violent vigilante however, it's not entirely difficult to stealth through the vast majority of missions and content (I can only think of one or two missions where I was forced to use violence to get away, and TBH if I was better about using the slo-mo mode I probably could've just run for it instead of sniping the half-dozen guys pissing me off.)

Watch Dogs does a lot poorly, and a lot correctly. It's interesting to me that the guys connected to Assassin's Creed seem to have slipped backward on some mechanics however, I suspect a lot of the stuff I'm missing such as the AC mutliplayer "Blend" button, were taken out for balance reasons more than anything else. It can be HARD to find the person invading you, and the dark souls-esque multiplayer invasions are pretty well done and add a nice layer of paranoia to the normal campaign play - you never know which pedestrian might be someone farming points off you unless you abuse some tricks or stick to only doing multiplayer via Blume Employees, Racers, and ctOS challenges.

I really am looking forward to a sequel, the AC-crossed-with-Dark-Souls style multi is a ton of fun, and I enjoy being able to finish objectives via several means a lot of the time. In fact this is the first game where I've ever really, REALLY wanted a throwable remote camera a la Thief 2 or Perfect Dark.

pseudorandom name posted:

I have not played Watch Dogs and not interested in doing so, but my understanding of its mechanics is that killing people by any means negatively impacts your reputation, and no amount of positive reputation will stop civilians from calling the police on you if you fire your gun.
Reputation goes down FAST if you're sloppy in campaign or multiplayer. One pedestrian killed by being run over while chasing an opponent, will take a pretty significant chunk off. It isn't terribly terribly hard to raise it again but you have to run around being a Nice Guy and doing crime-stopper missions.

If your reputation is really low, then news flashes will constantly pop up while you're just doing random poo poo, and then civilians will spot you and recognize you and dial 911 (if you don't go stomp their phone into the concrete ASAP - there's a similar mechanic for multiplayer "bounties" which are probably my favorite and most-predictable way to get into a multiplayer match and know wtf is about to happen).

Firing a silenced weapons makes civilian 911 often inconsequential, on top of many Crime missions and other missions (and online play) immediately removing your wanted level. If you run around with a gun showing and fire off unsuppressed rounds though you'll get annoyed at the cops PDQ though.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 3, 2014

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
I pretty much am only interested in Wash_Dogs for the invasion multiplayer. Could I pretty much hop into it immediately, or do I have to do a whole bunch of campaign content first?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Beard Yawn posted:

I pretty much am only interested in Wash_Dogs for the invasion multiplayer. Could I pretty much hop into it immediately, or do I have to do a whole bunch of campaign content first?
30-60 minutes if you can deal with some cops and a chase quickly.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
We posted Ep4 of Kerbalcast last night: http://kerbalpodcast.libsyn.com/

We talk about rendezvous and talk about the movie The Right Stuff.

During edits our editing program stopped responding and we reverted back to our last save which was 1 hour of work ago. :ssj:

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

ThaShaneTrain posted:

We posted Ep4 of Kerbalcast last night: http://kerbalpodcast.libsyn.com/

We talk about rendezvous and talk about the movie The Right Stuff.

During edits our editing program stopped responding and we reverted back to our last save which was 1 hour of work ago. :ssj:

I finally listened to your first one last night, and have to say that for a new podcast you did a pretty good job on the levels and the back and forth between you and the other caster. Thanks for the 'cast. I'll catch up... eventually :D

Also, did you post your podcast in this thread?

SpannerX fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 3, 2014

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I am so going to listen to these kerbal casts. Maybe they'll motivate me to start playing again! :jeb:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Crowbear posted:

Chris thps3 is a perfect 10/10 game and I will fight you. (If you still think that way that is)

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Chris thps3 is a perfect 10/10 game and I will fight you. (If you still think that way that is)

It's the Citizen Kane of THPS games.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:

SpannerX posted:

I finally listened to your first one last night, and have to say that for a new podcast you did a pretty good job on the levels and the back and forth between you and the other caster. Thanks for the 'cast. I'll catch up... eventually :D

Also, did you post your podcast in this thread?

Thanks! :) It's our first time to do this but we both work in media so we have some decent equipment at our disposal.

I was afraid that posting it may be advertising or something and I'd get banned. I'll go ahead and make the post.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Put together a new episode of Retronauts about Policenauts -- figured it'd be a good topic since I've yet to meet anyone who actually played through the whole thing: http://www.retronauts.com/?p=783

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Can't wait to listen to this one, good thing I have a 2 hour drive coming up on Friday. :D

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
I waited on finishing my playthrough of Alpha Protocol before listening to WOFF and it's a testament to the game that the playthrough you guys described varied so wildly from mine. Mechanically I agree, and it was a gem of a game that hides behind it's pretty terrible first act.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The Alpha Protocol extrasode of Watch Out for Fireballs! is out, featuring a lengthy interview with Chris Avellone.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/74e

We're still taking responses on X-Men Legends II (up through Saturday at 12pm EST). Our upcoming episodes will cover Crackdown and Gabriel Knight II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

The Skeleton Lords segment of last week's Bonfireside Chat was hilarious. Glad someone finds fantasy skeletons as amusing as I do. :allears:

This Dark Souls 2 "season" is my first time listening to the show (or any duckfeed show for that matter) and I've really enjoyed it. I'll have to go and listen to the episodes about the earlier games at some point.

• Locked thread