Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I wish I had a dash cam now. Drove 20 miles yesterday and saw so many bad things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Someone accidentally hit my car while backing out of a driveway, it did minimal damage to my car. On the way to body shop for an estimate, some bitch in a BMW SUV pulled out of the body shop's lot directly in front of me. It wasn't a busy street and there was nothing to block her view. . . I guess I know why she was at the body shop.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I was sitting in the left turn lane at a red light, and a guy on a Harley was making a left into the lane to my left. So he was coming across from my right, and took the turn way to sharp and was headed straight into my car. He just about stopped and adjusted his course back into the correct lane.

This happens a lot, so I really make sure if I'm the first car in a left turn lane that I can see that white line out in front of me. No one respects the paint on the roads.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

FogHelmut posted:

I was sitting in the left turn lane at a red light, and a guy on a Harley was making a left into the lane to my left. So he was coming across from my right, and took the turn way to sharp and was headed straight into my car. He just about stopped and adjusted his course back into the correct lane.

This happens a lot, so I really make sure if I'm the first car in a left turn lane that I can see that white line out in front of me. No one respects the paint on the roads.

The thing that sucks about Colorado is after winter, pretty much all paint is scraped from the road, so this happens a lot in turn lanes. I've had to swerve away from people who thought it safe to turn from the far right right turn lane into the far left lane, even though there are 2 right turn lanes at this intersection.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Tha Chodesweller posted:

The thing that sucks about Colorado is after winter, pretty much all paint is scraped from the road, so this happens a lot in turn lanes. I've had to swerve away from people who thought it safe to turn from the far right right turn lane into the far left lane, even though there are 2 right turn lanes at this intersection.

I have to do this regularly even with freshly painted lines. People are just loving idiots.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Today an old guy rolled through a right turn on red at about 5 mph directly in front of me as I was making a left turn with the arrow. I saw him doing about 20 in a 45 with a long line of cars stuck behind him after I passed him and got out of there.

For some reason I was reminded of an unrelated incident years ago. I was riding my motorcycle and stopped at a red light. A work van stopped to my right carrying gutters or siding or something on the roof rack. When they stopped, half their load kept going into the intersection. The two guys hopped out and picked up all the crap in a couple of seconds, making me wonder if it's a common occurrence. I was just glad they didn't stop behind me and I didn't get smacked in the back of the helmet with a length of gutter.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 4, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Uthor posted:

Today an old guy rolled through a right turn on red at about 5 mph directly in front of me as I was making a left turn with the arrow. I saw him doing about 20 in a 45 with a long line of cars stuck behind him after I passed him and got out of there.

For some reason I was reminded of an unrelated incident years ago. I was riding my motorcycle and stopped at a red light. A work van stopped to my right carrying gutters or siding or something on the roof rack. When they stopped, half their load kept going into the intersection. The two guys hopped out and picked up all the crap in a couple of seconds, making me wonder if it's a common occurrence. I was just glad they didn't stop behind me and I didn't get smacked in the back of the helmet with a length of gutter.

My dad saw this happen with a contractors pickup with no tailgate in traffic once... a shovel and a stepladder bounced off the windshield of the state police cruiser behind it.

Guess who got the book thrown at them 5 seconds later :v:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Uthor posted:

I did that once when I first started doing deliveries/warehouse work for a commercial flooring company after highschool. I was driving a beat to poo poo early 80's f350 manual flatbed with a pallet of 2 gallon buckets that was stacked higher than the headache rack, realized at the last minute there was a red left turn arrow(no cars around so I was just gonna go left), slammed on my brakes and watched buckets fly over the roof. Had to jump out in the middle of a 9 lane road(giant industrial area, 50mph limit) and grab all the buckets that were thankfully intact. Thats when I learned to put a pallet on top and ratchet strap it down.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Gonna try and get this thread back to its roots...

"customer reports had one tire plugged, makes odd noise while driving"

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

kastein posted:

Gonna try and get this thread back to its roots...

"customer reports had one tire plugged, makes odd noise while driving"

I don't even understand how that happens...

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
A modular Ford engine tossed a plug?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think autozone gave the guy the wrong part when he asked for a big rear end tire plug.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Had a guy today make an illegal U-turn on a red turn light, and then had the audacity to honk at me when I swerved out of the way. They were also on their phone. I don't know how they still have a license.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I spent the last few days in northern wisconsin, drivers up that way are generally pretty laid back except for their u-turns. Two lane roads were totally legit places to just jam on the brakes, swing to the shoulder, then whip the car around. If they didn't quite make it, it became a three point turn with 55 mph traffic barreling down on them.

Never seen that before, and then I saw it at least four times which leads me to believe it's common practice up that way.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 24, 2019

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Today on my lunch break, I saw someone speed through a stop sign so that they didn't have to wait for me to cross in-front of them as a pedestrian (I was on the sidewalk approaching the intersection).

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Are we allowed to post about positive things in this thread?

I was on the highway in the left lane in slow traffic the other day. I hear this guy lane splitting (legal in this state) on a sports bike coming up behind me so I move left to give him room, and as he passes he gives me the upside down hand/wave. That made me feel pretty good.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I saw a minivan doing 5 under on the highway today on my way to work. They had California plates (an entire country away from here) and a surround that said "GO AROUND ME - I'm Retired"

... and were in the middle lane, not parked in the left lane. I was actually surprised.

Of course, there were a billion idiots blocking the left lane as usual, including one that took my quick flick of the high beams to mean "I should now intentionally pace the car next to me instead of passing it at a glacial pace because HOW DARE THAT MAN FLICK HIS LIGHTS AT ME" and then tried to keep me from passing on the right even when that meant doing 85 (they'd been pacing someone at 65 for five miles and I was tired of their poo poo by this point) so I guess it all evens out to "gently caress the driving public" again.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Hikaki posted:

Are we allowed to post about positive things in this thread?

I was on the highway in the left lane in slow traffic the other day. I hear this guy lane splitting (legal in this state) on a sports bike coming up behind me so I move left to give him room, and as he passes he gives me the upside down hand/wave. That made me feel pretty good.

Many years ago I changed my riding philosophy from 'Get angry at dumbasses (and they're mostly dumbasses)' to 'thank the non-dumbasses' and it's nice to hear that people appreciate the little wave.

I did flip off a person who turned left in front of me at a light last week tho, screw them.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
What is it with the people who decide, as they are passing an onramp full of people trying to get on the highway, that now is the moment they need to get into the right lane? And it's not because they are exiting the highway. Sometimes there is not even an option to exit for another couple of miles. And it's worse when there is heavy traffic and the only reason there is a space to get over is because another driver backed off from the car in front of him and somebody does that. "I want to be in the right lane. gently caress those people trying to get on the highway."

The worst was the time I was in a line of cars getting onto the highway. I checked my driver side mirror and my blind spots and the lane was clear. As I started to merge some rear end in a top hat in the left lane who didn't feel like waiting for the slower driver in front of him veers into the right lane, leans on his horn and flips us the bird because I almost "cut him off" before whipping back into the left lane to pass the car that had just finished merging.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

gently caress people who overtake you on an onramp to a freeway. I'm doing freeway speeds to merge with traffic and you pulling out from behind me, crossing the double line and merging first only to pull up next to me and prevent me from merging is such a dick move.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Someone posted this in the Schadenfruede thread and it is beautiful, just beautiful....
http://youtu.be/z9L67iMEr0g

I'll give that officer credit, he was muuuuch more calm than I would've been dealing with that woman

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Bitch is just crazy, I've been on Cymbalta before and you don't just start being a crazy poo poo from missing a single pill (unless you're an irresponsible lying poo poo that misses lots of days so your body is always adjusting).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I get the impression the cop would have been more than happy to have her try to hit the guy if he could go "Hey, look, a donut!" and face the other way while talking loudly about how this parking lot has so many drat things for people to trip over.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
I don't want to listen to a crazy lady rant for 6 and a half minutes.

Can someone summarize?

In road news. Stop signs in Rhode Island mean "floor it" unless you reach the stop sign before cross traffic does. Then it is required that you wave through the traffic that just arrived at the intersection, regardless of your right of way.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

The right-most left turn lane is closed, so this guy stopped in the left-most straight lane. On an expressway signed for 45mph. :downs:

e: You better believe he tried to jump ahead of me on the green, too. :hurr:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Saw someone turn left across traffic, decide they didn't want to pull into that side street after all and drive the wrong way down my lane for a block or so so they could make their turn down another side street. Luckily the street was fairly deserted except for me :stare:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

SocketSeven posted:

Can someone summarize?
It's worth watching.

She insists it's the fault of the guy she hit, even though the cop (having listened carefully to what she said and made sure he got it exactly right) agrees she's at fault. Then she starts getting agitated with him filming, demands the cop make him stop (to which the cop points out he can't do that), and spirals into an ever-more-hilarious caterwauling about how she's goign to beat the guy up, doesn't like being filmed, doesn't want it on Youtube because she "doesn't believe in the internet", and annoys the cop to the point where he takes her out of shot to sit in her car and gives her a wonderful "sit your old rear end the gently caress down and shut the hell up, or so help me God I will see you in a cell" type of roadside chat.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
And the best way to make sure you don't end up on the internet, is to make a huge loving tantrum in public.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Saw another one of those people that crawls at a snail's pace to the intersection and you just know they're going to make you miss the left turn light and when the light turns red, they haven't even made it to the painted line, yet continue to slowly drive through the red light and make their left turn. :psyduck:

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

SocketSeven posted:

Can someone summarize?

Picks up a couple minutes in.

Entitled lady starts to freak once she learns the dude she hit is filming her, she "doesn't believe in the internet", and starts screaming in the cops face. After hearing the cop chews her a new rear end in a top hat in the background the video ends with the officer saying "She might have to go to jail if she don't shut her mouth."

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I had a few cars pass me in a construction zone. I was going the posted speed of 35 in the right lane. Apparently not fast enough.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I was just witness to a low speed pursuit on I93 in New Hampshire. I was heading southbound around exit 3, and came up to a large slowdown in traffic. About 20 cars in front of me a cop was going along with his lights on in the right lane, following maybe 50 feet behind a 90s Cadillac at around 40-45 mph. A couple cars started to pass the cop but then slowed down and dropped back behind him.

This continued for several miles until we got to exit 1, where 3 more cops got on the highway and boxed in the Cadillac, forcing them to stop. At this point they weren't letting anyone by, so I sat there for about 10 minutes, during which time I spoke to someone in the car next to me, who said they saw the whole thing start, it was definitely a pursuit, and they had tried to pass the cop but he'd yelled at them over the bullhorn to stay behind him.

Eventually the cops opened up one lane and let us pass, and I saw them talking to a young woman in cuffs, but that's about it. There was also a black late model CTS stopped with the older Cadillac (which I couldn't see well through all the cop cars) but I couldn't make out why it was there, it could have been an undercover unit, but it didn't have lights going.

Low speed pursuits are a pain in the rear end.

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...
http://ask.metafilter.com/263242/Accidentally-drove-20000-miles-without-changing-the-oil-Now-what

I laughed, I cried, I realized that most people these days need a loving oil gauge on their dash to make sure they don't burn their engines down to the bottom of the crank case.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Check her other activity. She's a goldmine of stupid.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Is it a troll account? Some of those are loving brilliant trolls if so.

"How close can I be to a smart meter when pregnant?"

"Is applied kinesiology ALWAYS a scam?"

Holy loving poo poo.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

http://ask.metafilter.com/263242/Accidentally-drove-20000-miles-without-changing-the-oil-Now-what

I laughed, I cried, I realized that most people these days need a loving oil gauge on their dash to make sure they don't burn their engines down to the bottom of the crank case.

Not that I am rushing to her defense or anything, but cars are a bit of an anachronism in that regards.

I can't think of anything else, owned by an individual, that requires preventative maintenance by a third party.

Gas-fired boilers?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

I didn't read all the replies but did anybody point out it doesn't have a low oil indicator light, just an oil pressure light?
20,000 miles probably isn't a death sentence especially if full synthetic but running it so low is what killed it I'd say.

spog posted:

Not that I am rushing to her defense or anything, but cars are a bit of an anachronism in that regards.

I can't think of anything else, owned by an individual, that requires preventative maintenance by a third party.

Gas-fired boilers?
Many things in home ownership unless you're kastein.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I fix all of my own poo poo, with the exception of mains wiring. You can change your own oil, you know, and it won't void your warranty if you keep receipts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crane
Jun 10, 2004

:chord:

InterceptorV8 posted:

I hate DRLs.

Because there are people so loving stupid that they never turn on their headlights now. You don't know how many people I see driving in the darkest parts of Nevada in the middle of the night with just their DRL on.

The worst is that DRLs don't turn on your tail lights. So if you're on a bad road with blowing snow, dust, fog, darkness then you can't see if someone is in front of you. (It can get so poor here you can't even see their headlights, but the taillights facing you let you know there is a vehicle in front, if it's moving or parked, and which way the road is going to be curving)
That being said, if you are driving in snow that likes to stick to your rear, clear off those taillights and brake lights every so often if they're completely covered. I don't mind that weather too much because it usually coats my licence plate for traffic cameras for awhile after the weather clears up enough to drive normal speeds.

Geirskogul posted:

Is it a troll account? Some of those are loving brilliant trolls if so.

"How close can I be to a smart meter when pregnant?"

"Is applied kinesiology ALWAYS a scam?"

Holy loving poo poo.
YES it is always a scam.
I was ordering Kinesiology textbooks (prereq for prostetics and orthotics) and ended up with "Applied Kinesiology". Who thinks "Algebra" and "Applied Algebra" would be similar if not the same drat thing? No, AK is baloney, and Kinesiology is a Science.

Crane fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 9, 2014