Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Somebody tweeted that video a few days ago and Norm retweeted it, so I had to watch it. It had been a few years since I last saw it, but god drat, I could not stop laughing. I nearly cried at one point. That segment is timeless.

I BET BOARD IS SPELT B-O-R-E-D!

I love that segment so much :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jerusalem posted:

I BET BOARD IS SPELT B-O-R-E-D!

I love that segment so much :allears:
I love when he interrupts Courtney Thorne-Smith talking with Conan about Melrose Place to say "Are you talking about Melrose Place?" and then proceeds to tell a story about a restaurant called Melrose Place opening up on the real street Melrose Place and tourists taking pictures of it and Conan thinks he has more to say, but nope, that's all he wanted to get out :allears:

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Normy hijacked/trolled that classic segment with the skills of matador.

That's the Conan I loved and reflect fondly upon.

Conan lost complete control of his show that night and refused to reel it in because it was GOLD.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Robnoxious posted:

Normy hijacked/trolled that classic segment with the skills of matador.

That's the Conan I loved and reflect fondly upon.

Conan lost complete control of his show that night and refused to reel it in because it was GOLD.

Tonight's episode was really incredible, too. He absolutely hijacked a segment with Mackenzie Davis 2 or 3 times with weird non-sequiturs.

"Hey, didja ever THROW A PROSTITUTE OFF A BRIDGE?"

*Conan puts face into hands and shakes his head while Andy is wiping away tears*

Gonz fucked around with this message at 08:13 on May 22, 2014

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"HA HA HA HA YOU SHOULD BOTH GET MARRIED AND GO ON A HONEYMOON, TOO! WHEEEE!"

Norm MacDonald is the best and always has been.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah it's a drat shame that he didn't get the Late Late Show :smith: That would have been loving glorious.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Yeah it's a drat shame that he didn't get the Late Late Show :smith: That would have been loving glorious.

Here's his audition for the Late Late Show job I was referring to.

http://teamcoco.com/video/82242/norm-macdonalds-the-late-late-show-audition

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Does anyone else do uncommented movie trailers?

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

At least his video podcast is back. This weeks episode was just Norm and Sandler telling remember when stories for an hour, it was great.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if the promised re-fleshification of Geoff is Ferguson trying to give Josh Robert Thompson more of a public image before it all ends.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 22, 2014

Chand0X
Sep 15, 2003

Nobody has been given it yet.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

MikeJF posted:

I wonder if the promised re-fleshification of Geoff is Ferguson trying to give Josh Robert Thompson more of a public image before it all ends.

He deserves it. He contributes more to the show than all the other late night sidekicks combined, plus Ferguson's extemporaneous style demands a lot more talent and versatility.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Chand0X posted:

Nobody has been given it yet.
Oh, that Joel McHale thing is still just a rumor?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Gonz posted:

Tonight's episode was really incredible, too. He absolutely hijacked a segment with Mackenzie Davis 2 or 3 times with weird non-sequiturs.

Not to diss Norm or anything, but Mackenzie Davis talking about picking up roadkill and owl pellets to make "art" shouldn't have been interrupted. I would have loved to learn how far down the rabbit hole her madness goes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Conan's Clueless Gamer segment for Watch Dogs was pretty great. "Sometimes the only way to prevent a crime is to start a new crime."

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Conan's Clueless Gamer segment for Watch Dogs was pretty great. "Sometimes the only way to prevent a crime is to start a new crime."

That's a Chinese proverb.

I laughed my rear end off when he was trying to make out with the old lady in the boat and wound up blowing ger brains out.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Oh man the Will Ferrell Chad Smith thing is tonigth!

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
TBS has cancelled The Pete Homes Show. I expected as much, but sucks for the guy, there were some great bits that came out of the show.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Space_Butler posted:

TBS has cancelled The Pete Homes Show. I expected as much, but sucks for the guy, there were some great bits that came out of the show.
I saw only one, the one where he and Matt Berninger from The National wrote a song together about having a threesome with a yeti. Every other bit I've seen from his show has been criminally unfunny, so I won't miss that show one bit.

edit: Also, here are the videos of the Will Ferrell/Chad Smith bit from Jimmy Fallon, which was loving hilarious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsWHyBOk2iQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uBOtQOO70Y

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 23, 2014

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Space_Butler posted:

Nothing on his Twitter yet. I suspect he's going to find out through social media, as is custom to the networks.

I really like his podcast, didn't watch his talk show. Oh well.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 23, 2014

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I was expecting a cancellation to come sooner or later, but I'm still pretty bummed out by it. It's really the first talk show in awhile that I've made a habit to view nightly, rather than just when I don't have anything else to watch or do. I'll be the first to admit some of his bits were pretty lame, but his interviews were far more entertaining than any other host's.

It probably only worked due to the fact that Pete is apparently good friends with pretty much every single person working in the comedy world today. Most interviews just involved him reminiscing and goofing around with his guests.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S
I agree. I was looking forward to seeing how the show would evolve with time. Everyone knows it took Conan a while before his show really caught on, I was hoping by virtue of that that TBS would extend Pete Holmes the same consideration.

I have to say, though, that it doesn't really surprise me either. The Pete Holmes show simply was not evolving and quality levels were so up and down you never really felt sure what you were in store for each night. I also found it REALLY annoying the way he would force unecessary vulgarity/references to his ex wife/"hey look I have girlfriends/sex/etc" where it really wasn't warranted. In fact, this was something I kept waiting for the show to mature beyond, but it never appeared like it would. He just always came accross as a 35 year old who, like, just recently moved out of his parent's house or something and was annoyingly insistent upon putting out this "mature" vibe, even though it felt forced and ultimately came accross as the complete opposite of mature (maybe even a little sad). I already liked you, Pete, you didn't have to try to reinvent yourself for tv.

So, yeah, I was routing for the show to do well, but I'm kinda not surprised it was canned. I do think he made an honest attempt to mix up the format of late night, but just failed to really get the ball rolling in terms of quality and consistency.
I'm curious to see if Conan will try to pursue another follow up, now. I hope so, but I could see why he might not.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
RIP Arsenio (again).

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

quote:

CBS had said that the show would return for a second season, but the latenight strip was facing significant downgrades from stations and the Eye determined that the show would not be financially viable. The show was in reruns this week and will not resume production.

God drat, that is harsh. See what happens when Leno makes the announcement that you're getting a second season? They give you a week off and then suddenly all your poo poo has been moved out of your office and onto the curb.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
I would be happy if Lana Kane replaced CraigyFerg

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

It deserved less than it got. Fade back into the ether of 1993, you hack.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
He should be given a chance for a final bow. That's just manners. Cocksucking Backstabbing Sumbitches.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Arsenio was so far removed by the passage of time to jump back into the late night game.

It wasn't a very good show anyways.

I did like when the Whose Line Is It Anyways? guys showed up and they did games with Arsenio. I caught it by complete accident and enjoyed it but otherwise I never made much effort to watch the show.

Syndicated reruns have more earning potential than a first run Arsenio show did... that's broadcasting in tyool 2014 I'm afraid.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

In New York, the writing was probably on the wall when they moved him back a half hour in favor of Seinfeld reruns.

For what it's worth, Yvette Nicole Brown went on a bit of a rant about how his show was one of only a couple of late night shows they booked her for in all her years on Community:

https://twitter.com/YNB

Also I see that Arsenio was already booked for Letterman on Wednesday, so that should be interesting.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Vertical Lime posted:

Also I see that Arsenio was already booked for Letterman on Wednesday, so that should be interesting.

Arsenio has apparently been yanked. That would have been a fun interview.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

This weeks Norm podcast has guest Carl Reiner. It is a rare chance to see Norm interview someone that he has tremendous respect for and allows to tell really interesting stories. I keep mentioning this podcast here but not sure if it belongs but to me it is another late night show, and possibly my favorite, so you all should check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSwE5vuNjCU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I think canceling Pete Holmes is somewhat of a mistake. I mean, I would have liked to have seen it get a second season. I'm biased and know some people who work on the show, but the show costs next to nothing to make. And some people who work on Conan are just pulling doubles working on Pete Holmes as well. I'm kind of confused as to what TBS thinks they're doing with that slot. They've been filling in original programming on the network with pretty boiler plate sitcoms. And Conoco has produced some goofier weird shows but they end up on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim. I am thinking specifically of Eagleheart. George Lopez got killed. Holmes got killed. Not sure what they're really looking for. Either move even further and more weird from the a sitdown interview type show or let a guy like Holmes figure something out. Honestly, something like Comedy Bang Bang would have been perfect to follow Conan.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Kammat posted:

Arsenio has apparently been yanked. That would have been a fun interview.

Boooo. I was looking forward to that.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

soggybagel posted:

Either move even further and more weird from the a sitdown interview type show or let a guy like Holmes figure something out. Honestly, something like Comedy Bang Bang would have been perfect to follow Conan.

Jimmy Pardo shot a pilot that basically sounds like the exact same thing as Deon Cole's show, I bet they try that for a few weeks and then cancel it immediately also.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Which is funny because Pardo is the warm up/crowd work guy for Conan audience.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S

soggybagel posted:

They've been filling in original programming on the network with pretty boiler plate sitcoms.

Agreed. Awful sitcoms and generic game shows. As I was reading about Pete Holmes being cancelled, I couldn't help but think "and yet Sullivan and Son is getting a 3rd season?" It does boggle the mind. Getting Conan on board was a golden opportunity to really recreate their image, and I thought the Pete holmes show was a good next step, setting up a solid and consistent (in the sense of programming line-up) follower. I guess now we can look forward to more reruns of the office after Conan.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 6, 2014

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
TBS has never had a handle on how to build a stable original programming lineup. They sort of lucked into Conan because he happened to be available. Otherwise, it's been "Throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks." And while I'm sure they'd love have hit original programming, they seem to do fine getting by on syndicated shows. King of The Nerds, a show specifically designed to be a companion piece to BBT reruns, was just renewed for Season 3 a few days ago.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 5, 2014

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

hcreight posted:

TBS has never had a handle on how to build a stable original programming lineup. They sort of lucked into Conan because he happened to be available. Otherwise, it's been "Throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks." And while I'm sure they'd love have hit original programming, they seem to do fine getting by on syndicated shows. King of The Nerds, a show specifically designed to be a companion piece to BBT reruns, was just renewed for Season 3 a few days ago.

Which does make sense. Big Bang Theory does crazy numbers even in syndication. Not my cup of tea for a show but I can't hate on them for it. And King of Nerds looks awful, but whatever. They can do their thing.Specifically from a late night programming standpoint it doesn't make any sense to me what TBS is doing. They should be carving out an IFC/Adult Swim niche. Conoco has reach. They could easily pick up and produce for super cheap on the Warner Brothers lot a bunch of cheap shows. They could go to the UCB Theatre and pluck a few shows and turn them into 15 minute shows.

Pete Holmes made sense to me. It filmed in the same studio area as Conan. It cost very little. I'm just kind of confused what direction they're going for this time slot.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
How long has it been since Conan stopped doing episode titles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Dr Tran posted:

How long has it been since Conan stopped doing episode titles?

January, I think.