Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

raditts posted:

I dunno, I haven't seen it in years now but what sticks with me the most is that it didn't seem to have a very engaging plot and the people yelling "YAAAAAAAAH" at each other in the exaggerated midwestern accents was really grating.

If you thought the accents were grating then yeah, you're gonna find the show grating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

raditts posted:

I think I'm the only person on the planet that didn't like the movie Fargo although I love pretty much every other Coen Bros. movie, will that have any bearing on how much I like the TV series?

You're not alone. I don't like any Cohen Brother's film except Raising Arizona...

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

You're not alone. I don't like any Cohen Brother's film except Raising Arizona...

Which ones have you seen? Fargo, True Grit, Lady Killers, Intolerable Cruelty and The Hudsucker Proxy are all great. So are O Brother Where Art Thou and The Big Lebowski, even if they're a tad overrated. In fact, all their movies are good-to-great with the sole exceptions of A Serious Man and No Country for Old Men, which are merely average.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would say that the plot of the TV Fargo is a lot more engaging than the plot of the film Fargo, though I think much of that is due to the show having a lot longer to let things develop (and get craaaaaaaaazy). Also, the plots are very different, despite starting out seemingly very similar. The TV show goes in a completely different direction for the most part.

e: ^^^^ The Man From Nowhere is also a terrific, usually underrated Coen Bros. flick. Black noir? Is that a genre?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Burn After Reading is pretty excellent as well.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Irish Joe posted:

Which ones have you seen? Fargo, True Grit, Lady Killers, Intolerable Cruelty and The Hudsucker Proxy are all great. So are O Brother Where Art Thou and The Big Lebowski, even if they're a tad overrated. In fact, all their movies are good-to-great with the sole exceptions of A Serious Man and No Country for Old Men, which are merely average.

All of them. I date a woman that loves them.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

PantsBandit posted:

Burn After Reading is pretty excellent as well.

I keep mistaking that one for The Men Who Love Goats, which is a much MUCH worse movie starring George Clooney.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Irish Joe posted:

You seriously do make this an art.

Okay actually I've never seen Intolerable Cruelty and it does look pretty fun. The Coens are the best.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
^^^Really? No go on Hudsucker? drat, don't tell me I'm out on a limb here. I mean, aside from Irish Joe. As for Intolerable Cruelty, there's a couple of inspired gags in it (Wheezy Joe), but on the whole it's definitely one of their lesser efforts.

The Hudsucker Proxy is my go-to favorite. There's an intoxicating, beautiful energy to that film, and it makes me want to track down the movies it paid homage to.

It helps that Carter Burwell went all in with his score; seriously, LISTEN TO THAT, especially his arrangements of Spartacus and Phrygia and Gayane. That crescendo is epic and grossly overlooked.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Irish Joe posted:

I keep mistaking that one for The Men Who Love Goats, which is a much MUCH worse movie starring George Clooney.

I'm not going to judge you for whatever kinks you're into, but the movie George Clooney is in is called "The Men Who Stare At Goats."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ahahahahahahaha:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0cqV3h-aDA

Also, yeah, The Hudsucker Proxy is loving amazing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
edit: ^^^^ if you skipped that video go back and watch it, it's great

DivisionPost posted:

^^^Really? No go on Hudsucker? drat, don't tell me I'm out on a limb here. I mean, aside from Irish Joe. As for Intolerable Cruelty, there's a couple of inspired gags in it (Wheezy Joe), but on the whole it's definitely one of their lesser efforts.

The Hudsucker Proxy is my go-to favorite. There's an intoxicating, beautiful energy to that film, and it makes me want to track down the movies it paid homage to.

Okay, yeah, I'm being unfair there. I don't think it sucks; in fact, I completely adored the first half or so, and Jennifer Jason Leigh's character and performance are a perfect screwball homage. But I felt like it ran out of steam quite a lot in the second half.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I liked Intolerable Cruelty a bunch, George Clooney's great in it.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Burn After Reading is great for JK Simmons' two scenes.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Fargo is also pretty great.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Slamhound posted:

Burn After Reading is great for JK Simmons' two scenes.

Yeah his final scene is truly wonderful and perfectly summarizes the absurdity of the film.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

http://www.deadline.com/2014/06/emmys-matthew-mcconaughey-qa-on-following-oscar-with-the-game-changing-hbo-series-true-detective/

quote:

MCCONAUGHEY: I liked True Detective, the whole series and the experience of making it, so much that I’d be open to doing another one now.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

That's cool and he was great in TD but I wouldn't want him in another season as any more than a cameo. I really like the idea of using different actors every season and wouldn't want them to change that.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

PantsBandit posted:

That's cool and he was great in TD but I wouldn't want him in another season as any more than a cameo. I really like the idea of using different actors every season and wouldn't want them to change that.

I guess it just means that down the line he's open to coming back. Keep it like American Horror Story where you have this group of actors playing different roles. I remember when True Detective started Alan Sepinwall was saying how he'd almost like to see a version of the show where Harrelson and McCoughnay reverse their roles, which I think would be really interesting to see. I'd like to see that pairing again because they work so well together.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Burn After Reading is hands down their funniest film, and is pretty fuckin' amazing. Malkovich, Pitt, Frances, and Clooney all just killed it. William H. Macy and JK Simmons' cameos are brilliant.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gave TVLand's "Jennifer Falls" a shot. Not too bad, definitely laughed in a few place. If you're finding your comedy schedule is a bit light going into the summer, I'd give it a shot. Fun cameo in the opening scene too.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Junkenstein posted:

Yeah, Fargo's amazing. I can't believe True Detective set the movie-quality-one-season-long-story bar so high and then got beaten so soon after.

Now that the show's over and I have some distance from it my opinion on True Detective has cooled down a bit. It's still a great show but even with its short runtime the quality seems to drop off between the two halves of the show and it becomes more straightforward and loses a lot of the little touches and character quirks that made the first few episodes so awesome.

Meanwhile Fargo hit the ground running with its pilot being one :tviv: after another and has managed to keep that up for the entire season. Also the way it factors in the Old Testament both overtly and allegorically is way more satisfying than True Detective lifting stuff wholesale from The Conspiracy Against The Human Race and dropping references to The Yellow King.

Pretty much any time voice actors do this it's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p9Ayu-5zYY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H3xQzQauyY

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
That's an interesting comment. I'd be interested to see if that changes plans for who is staring in S2 or if that means McConaughey is more conducive to doing TV now. I remember reading before when TD was still filming (or at least airing), it was pretty much his first TV act and he was overwhelmed by the shooting schedule and all.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

I'm not going to judge you for whatever kinks you're into, but the movie George Clooney is in is called "The Men Who Stare At Goats."

The Men Who Love Goats starring George Clooney sounds pretty hilarious though.

Or just awkward and weird like that play where Harry Potter fucks a horse.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

IRQ posted:

The Men Who Love Goats starring George Clooney sounds pretty hilarious though.

Or just awkward and weird like that play where Harry Potter fucks a horse.

Please tell me that was performed at a legit theater somewhere.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
True Detective is still amazing and comparing it to Fargo is probably unfair. Comparing anything to Fargo is unfair. Like, I might even like it more than Rectify. Then again, season 2 of Rectify is coming up and...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Equus? Yeah all the time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
e: ^^^^ :argh:

He's talking about Equus, which is a legitimately great play. Read it sometime.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Well that's hardly how it was advertised just now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Well that's hardly how it was advertised just now.

If it makes you feel better, Radcliffe did do full frontal in it. It's also almost as hosed up a play as you're imagining.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Miley did the twerking to break out of her image as a sexless adolescent teen star and Daniel Radcliffe did Equus.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

For what it's worth though Equus is an extremely famous play and is actually worth far more than its value as a vehicle to see Harry Potter gently caress a horse.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Are you guys talking about War Horse

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

Miley did the twerking to break out of her image as a sexless adolescent teen star and Daniel Radcliffe did Equus.

Daniel Radcliffe is pretty awesome, honestly. A Young Doctor's Notebook was also pretty great, in which he plays the young version of Jon Hamm and shoots a bunch of heroin in Russia.

e: Also it's on Netflix and only 3 episodes long so everyone go watch it

e2: Also, his episode of Extras https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrSH_UOaO9w

precision fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 5, 2014

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

. Then again, season 2 of Rectify is coming up and...

When is that going to be?

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Speaking of Harry Potter alumni, Draco Malfoy is going to be in this "event" series on TNT, and it...doesn't look horrible? It's got a solid cop background anyway, since Steven Bochco of NYPD Blue pedigree cowrote most of, if not all of, the episodes.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Assuming Rectify keeps up its quality then gently caress man, this is gonna be one HELL of a year for TV.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

Daniel Radcliffe is pretty awesome, honestly. A Young Doctor's Notebook was also pretty great, in which he plays the young version of Jon Hamm and shoots a bunch of heroin in Russia.

e: Also it's on Netflix and only 3 episodes long so everyone go watch it

e2: Also, his episode of Extras https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrSH_UOaO9w

Yeah, Daniel Radcliffe realized somewhere around the fourth or fifth Harry Potter movie that he needed to step up his acting game. He was much better in the last few Harry Potter movies and has been hitting it out of the park since (crappy horror movies aside, though I've heard he does as well as he can with the material).

Actually, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint have also been great in what I've seen them in besides Harry Potter. I'm still annoyed that the Greg Garcia series with Grint as a wannabe superhero (and also starred Stephen Fry) didn't get picked up.

Honestly, I can't think of anyone in the Harry Potter movies that wasn't already a respectable actor or became known as one afterward. Still strange as hell seeing David Tennant in the fourth movie.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

lelandjs posted:

Honestly, I can't think of anyone in the Harry Potter movies that wasn't already a respectable actor or became known as one afterward. Still strange as hell seeing David Tennant in the fourth movie.

David Tennant and pre-Twilight Robert Pattinson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just over two hours until Orange is the New Black season 2! Thread is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3640450

• Locked thread