Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

GenericGirlName posted:

Hello thread! I just want to get a second opinion since the OP doesn't look to be up to date and I don't want to mess anything up with my phone.

I have an iPhone 5c that I bought from verizon, and it turns out that I'm not actually under a contract so I'm removing myself from my family's family plan because it is disgustingly expensive. I was looking to use some prepaid plan with minimal minutes (I call very infrequently and the majority of those people also have iPhones) and some where around 2gb of data because I have a gross compulsion to look at google maps when I walk around which has only been increased by me moving to a new place.

My issue is I would like to keep my number AND possibly have not terrible data (preferably 4g since LTE seems impossible. But really I can settle for 3G). Is this possible with AIO? Cricket? I'm not able to do any real research just yet as I am looking at all this from my phone (internet people haven't come by yet today...) so any help would be much appreciated!

Knowing Verizon they probably rigged a bomb to go off if the phone is unlocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

GenericGirlName posted:

Hello thread! I just want to get a second opinion since the OP doesn't look to be up to date and I don't want to mess anything up with my phone.

I have an iPhone 5c that I bought from verizon, and it turns out that I'm not actually under a contract so I'm removing myself from my family's family plan because it is disgustingly expensive. I was looking to use some prepaid plan with minimal minutes (I call very infrequently and the majority of those people also have iPhones) and some where around 2gb of data because I have a gross compulsion to look at google maps when I walk around which has only been increased by me moving to a new place.

My issue is I would like to keep my number AND possibly have not terrible data (preferably 4g since LTE seems impossible. But really I can settle for 3G). Is this possible with AIO? Cricket? I'm not able to do any real research just yet as I am looking at all this from my phone (internet people haven't come by yet today...) so any help would be much appreciated!

You're in a very good place right now. Your 5C is already unlocked and will work great on Cricket (formerly AIO) and you'll get LTE too. You can go with the Smart Plan ($45 tax incl on autopay) that'll get you Unl/Unl/2.5GB of LTE/HSPA data and then throttled after that. The only caveat is that your speeds are throttled to 8mb/4mb respectively. However, as a current Cricket customer the speeds are plenty sufficient for everything I do on my phone (awful app, gmail, web browsing, whatsapp, snapchat, etc). If you decide to go with it, PM me and get a $25 referral credit if you want.

MisterFreshman posted:

My wife has Straight Talk and is really unhappy with her Galaxy Centura. I was looking at getting her an S3 or S4 as a suprise, but can't seem to find while shopping online if either use Verizon network or not. She is really concerned about having good service in our rural area and the only carrier with it is Verizon. So simply, does either the S3 or S4 on Straight Talk use Verizon?

You're really really limiting yourself if you can only do CDMA Straight Talk phones. Apparently there is an S3 and S4 ($500 and $300 respectively), but it's really hard to tell if it's the CDMA model or not. This might help you. The problem is, Straight Talk won't let you activate any other Verizon 4G LTE phones on ST so you're stuck on EVDO (slow) and whatever phones ST sells.

If you want a better phone, have you considered getting her a used Verizon phone from swappa.com and then activating it on Page Plus Cellular? They're a Verizon reseller, have reasonable plans, and will allow you to activate a number of Verizon phones (still not 4G apparently). If you're brave, you can flash a Boost Mobile Moto G for use on Page Plus.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 4, 2014

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

SB35 posted:

You're in a very good place right now. Your 5C is already unlocked and will work great on Cricket (formerly AIO) and you'll get LTE too. You can go with the Smart Plan ($45 tax incl on autopay) that'll get you Unl/Unl/2.5GB of LTE/HSPA data and then throttled after that. The only caveat is that your speeds are throttled to 8mb/4mb respectively. However, as a current Cricket customer the speeds are plenty sufficient for everything I do on my phone (awful app, gmail, web browsing, whatsapp, snapchat, etc). If you decide to go with it, PM me and get a $25 referral credit if you want.
My issue with doing a cricket smart plan (which I keep thinking about doing, for hotspot if nothing else) is that while I know it bumps my minutes to unlimited, it cuts my data allotment before throttling in half (5GB->2.5GB) and increases the bill by 50% ($30->$45). T-Mo nerd plan really spoils us way too much.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

ilkhan posted:

My issue with doing a cricket smart plan (which I keep thinking about doing, for hotspot if nothing else) is that while I know it bumps my minutes to unlimited, it cuts my data allotment before throttling in half (5GB->2.5GB) and increases the bill by 50% ($30->$45). T-Mo nerd plan really spoils us way too much.

If you can get by with 100 minutes, actually use that much data, AND have good Tmo service in your area then by all means it's a better deal. But I could easily blow through 100min in a week so it doesn't work for me, not to mention Tmo is spotty in my area.

My options are only AT&T VZW or Sprint and obviously AT&T has the most open network so for me the best AT&T MVNO at the moment is the best choice.

VVVV the normal unlocked Moto X 32GB is also on sale for $100 off at $349

SB35 fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 4, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Do people still use Republic Wireless? They are selling the 32 GB Moto X for $300 ($100 off) today and tomorrow.

Edit: This is for the one you can customize through Motorola, too. Not just a black or white one. They normally sell the 16 GB one for $300.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 4, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Where would I be able to find locations of legit cricket stores? I mean legit as in corporate, it looks like the locations on the site are just some shady cheeseball kiosk.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Where would I be able to find locations of legit cricket stores? I mean legit as in corporate, it looks like the locations on the site are just some shady cheeseball kiosk.

The Cricket near 72nd and Dodge is a legit corporate store. It's actually the HQ unless AT&T changed it.

It's near the egg place, I think.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

The Cricket near 72nd and Dodge is a legit corporate store. It's actually the HQ unless AT&T changed it.

It's near the egg place, I think.

I'll have a look, thanks. Girlfriend is getting a N5 (currently has a GNex - she's in for a surprise) and I'm wondering if there's a way she can get a SIM from the store rather than wait for it to ship.

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR
You can get pretty much any sprint phone flashed to page plus. CL or swappa a phone and then get someone to flash it for you. I just buy a flagship phone from last year for ~$200 and have this guy do it over the internet and then sell my old one to cover most of the cost. I've been paying about $50 per year to own a phone.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

I'll have a look, thanks. Girlfriend is getting a N5 (currently has a GNex - she's in for a surprise) and I'm wondering if there's a way she can get a SIM from the store rather than wait for it to ship.

They do two day shipping so unless you need it right now.... Also I think it cost $25 to activate in store.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SB35 posted:

They do two day shipping so unless you need it right now.... Also I think it cost $25 to activate in store.

Ah well. She's more patient than I am. They want the phone's IMEI in order to buy a SIM. I put mine in (I have Cricket) and it said it was on the stolen blacklist.

Which it certainly isn't, since I bought it direct from Google in November. However, it's funny that it's saying the phone is stolen despite being active on Cricket. It's like proof of everything I've been worried about, even though its probably just a poor website design issue and it's just spitting that message out for active phones too. It's hilarious to think any phone registered on Cricket is just automatically considered stolen :v:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

Ah well. She's more patient than I am. They want the phone's IMEI in order to buy a SIM. I put mine in (I have Cricket) and it said it was on the stolen blacklist.

Which it certainly isn't, since I bought it direct from Google in November. However, it's funny that it's saying the phone is stolen despite being active on Cricket. It's like proof of everything I've been worried about, even though its probably just a poor website design issue and it's just spitting that message out for active phones too. It's hilarious to think any phone registered on Cricket is just automatically considered stolen :v:
More likely they just figure if its already on an active cricket account you don't need to activate it again, thus somebody grabbed it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ilkhan posted:

More likely they just figure if its already on an active cricket account you don't need to activate it again, thus somebody grabbed it.

Yeah, I assume that is how it was thought of but it specifically referred to the blacklist registry :v: instead of just implying strongly that your phone was hot.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I have an unlocked old galaxy s fascinate. I am Canadian but spend a bit on time in the NW US namely Montana and Idaho. I believe the phone is gsm.

Can I go into Walmart or some other store in Montana and just buy a ppd sim card that will give me a us# for the odd voice call? Data isn't a big deal. Or does prepaid not work that way? I have never bought one before.
E: can I buy a straighttalk sim at a place like Walmart?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 7, 2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I did some research and it looks like indeed a Straight Talk AT&T sim works with my phone. I am a little confused from their website though. Have any of you on straight talk called Canada without their international package? It's unclear if you can or not. I know with the package you can for sure, but not so sure without it.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

slidebite posted:

I did some research and it looks like indeed a Straight Talk AT&T sim works with my phone. I am a little confused from their website though. Have any of you on straight talk called Canada without their international package? It's unclear if you can or not. I know with the package you can for sure, but not so sure without it.

I don't think you can call internationally without it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks, I did some more research after I posted and that looks like the case.

So, if I wanted a US phone, it looks like I'm going to need to buy a minimal prepaid plan AND a $10 intl card, which expires at 30 days. Kind of sucks, because while I go to the US quite often usually it's only a couple days at a time and weeks in between.

Don't think there is a "cheap" way to do this :(

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

slidebite posted:

Thanks, I did some more research after I posted and that looks like the case.

So, if I wanted a US phone, it looks like I'm going to need to buy a minimal prepaid plan AND a $10 intl card, which expires at 30 days. Kind of sucks, because while I go to the US quite often usually it's only a couple days at a time and weeks in between.

A T-Mobile pay as you go where you pay by the day only if you use it.

That or a Tracfone with a like 1000 minutes that don't expire for a year. Of course that requires the purchase of a rather cheap but lovely phone too.

And maybe give up on calling to Canada if you want to do it cheaply.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I am actually OK with buy an lovely phone. It's mostly for emergencies or making a hotel reservation on the road. I would give up calling Canada but both my and Mrs. Slidebites folks are starting to get old and it's to be able to talk to them without getting hit with a $1.50/min (yes) roaming charge with our Canadian phones.

T-Mobile map looks like it has talk/text coverage for the areas we generally go to, so that should be adequate :)

Which pay-by-the-day plan are you thinking of? I don't see it here..?

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

slidebite posted:

My folks use Rebtel for international calling. You give them the number of the person you want to call, they give you a local US number, you dial the US number, they do all the VOIP stuff, the person's phone rings like a normal call. Canada is 1.5 cents/minute.

Looks like they have an app now that you can use. Don't know how that works, probably similar to Skype and bypasses using your cell phone minutes. The folks just have their landline and flip phone on the account and it's like regular calling.

So, find a cheap US SIM card to use in your phone and you can talk to Canada for and hour and a half for $1.35.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

slidebite posted:

I am actually OK with buy an lovely phone. It's mostly for emergencies or making a hotel reservation on the road. I would give up calling Canada but both my and Mrs. Slidebites folks are starting to get old and it's to be able to talk to them without getting hit with a $1.50/min (yes) roaming charge with our Canadian phones.

T-Mobile map looks like it has talk/text coverage for the areas we generally go to, so that should be adequate :)

Which pay-by-the-day plan are you thinking of? I don't see it here..?

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

Scroll down to where it says "More Plan Options". There's a plan where you pay $2 for a day of service (with unlimited talk, text, and 2G data) if you use your phone that day.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I actually ended up buying a lovely little tracfone at walmart. I can call Canada as a US call just by calling their 800# first and then the Canadian number. Seems to work fine if a little clunky, but not a biggie. The phone gives me bonus minutes and days, so for $35 including the $9.98 phone, I have 150 days and 150 minutes or something like that. The time also carries over.

It's just a piece of junk samsung s150g but it'll work fine for our purposes.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I'm considering a switch to cricket/Aio from T-Mo and my current plan renews on the 12th; where (retail) can I get a SIM at?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ilkhan posted:

I'm considering a switch to cricket/Aio from T-Mo and my current plan renews on the 12th; where (retail) can I get a SIM at?

1: On Cricket's website. $10.

2: In store. $10 (SIM) + $25 (Activation :jerkbag:) + $$ First Month.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Cricket does 2 day shipping for free. Just order online.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

SB35 posted:

Cricket does 2 day shipping for free. Just order online.
Thanks. Guess I'll do that.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Apologies if this has been answered 1,000 times already, as this thread is massive now.

I'm considering the $30 100 minute T-Mobile plan, but I can't find any information on if it can hook into Good (enterprise email, etc). I can't put the Good plan on my main phone as it's a grandfathered unlimited Verizon plan and making that switch would totally gently caress me over to a staggering degree.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

AlexDeGruven posted:

Apologies if this has been answered 1,000 times already, as this thread is massive now.

I'm considering the $30 100 minute T-Mobile plan, but I can't find any information on if it can hook into Good (enterprise email, etc). I can't put the Good plan on my main phone as it's a grandfathered unlimited Verizon plan and making that switch would totally gently caress me over to a staggering degree.

Pretty sure is the only one that gouges corporate email users.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
is there any plan anywhere that i can just buy a handful of minutes without them expiring or needing to be used in a certain time period?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Nondescript Van posted:

is there any plan anywhere that i can just buy a handful of minutes without them expiring or needing to be used in a certain time period?

Pretty much no. Tracfone might get you minutes that don't expire for like a year though.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Nondescript Van posted:

PTel offers paygo, but they do expire after a year.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Rastor posted:

PTel offers paygo, but they do expire after a year.

Yep, something like this is what you can get on Tracfone too. I dont' know of any that will last more than 1 year.

PTEL is actually probably a better deal because $100 gets you 2000min ideally and you can put the SIM in any phone.
Top Up Denominations and days of service
$10 Top-Up: 60 days
$20 Top-Up: 90 days
$30 Top-Up: 120 days
$40 Top-Up: 150 days
$50 Top-Up: 180 days
$100 Top-Up: 1 year

Tracfone top up info is here and is a bit more expensive, not to mention you need to buy a Tracfone phone (the lovely ones are nearly free though so...)

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
Cricket/Aio users, what is the best way to go about getting a new SIM for an already existing account? I'm switching phones and need a nano-SIM instead of a micro that I currently have. I'd rather not use a SIM cutter and risk loving it up.

Edit: nevermind, my friend Google helped out

Venkmanologist fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 16, 2014

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Venkmanologist posted:

Cricket/Aio users, what is the best way to go about getting a new SIM for an already existing account? I'm switching phones and need a nano-SIM instead of a micro that I currently have. I'd rather not use a SIM cutter and risk loving it up.

Edit: nevermind, my friend Google helped out

For future reference, you can request a new sim from your Cricket online account. I don't know if it costs anything though. Were you charged?

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

SB35 posted:

For future reference, you can request a new sim from your Cricket online account. I don't know if it costs anything though. Were you charged?

Yeah I found the request page under 'My Account'. It's $9.99 for a new one.

It requires you to input an IMEI though so I'll have to wait until I actually have the phone in my possession. I was hoping to get them both on the same day.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Venkmanologist posted:

Yeah I found the request page under 'My Account'. It's $9.99 for a new one.

It requires you to input an IMEI though so I'll have to wait until I actually have the phone in my possession. I was hoping to get them both on the same day.

You need a nano SIM right? Just google iPhone 5 IMEI and look at the images. It's pretty likely you'll find one and you can just order based on that IMEI number.

I don't know that it'll have any negative consequences as I think they just use it to make sure you don't mistake mini/micro/nano as many do and then order the wrong one.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

SB35 posted:

You need a nano SIM right? Just google iPhone 5 IMEI and look at the images. It's pretty likely you'll find one and you can just order based on that IMEI number.

I don't know that it'll have any negative consequences as I think they just use it to make sure you don't mistake mini/micro/nano as many do and then order the wrong one.

Couldn't find a complete IMEI from GIS so I had 'assemble' one from pieces that weren't blurred. Worked on the first try.

And I think you're right, it won't matter what I put in now. When I first signed up for Aio and entered my Nexus 5 as a device, the site more less told me that phone doesn't exist.

Mr. Blastaway
Jun 23, 2004

I'm likely to soon switch from T-mobile to Cricket, but I have a few questions. First, can an AT&T locked phone work on Cricket without needing to be unlocked? I have a Nexus anyways, but I'm just curious. Secondly, how bad is the throttling on the $40 ($35) plan after you go through 500mb? I basically only use my phone data for streaming Pandora in my car and occasionally web browsing and I generally don't go over 500mb on t-mobile, but sometimes I do. Would the speed be sufficient for Pandora without waiting forever between songs if I began being throttled?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Mr. Blastaway posted:

I'm likely to soon switch from T-mobile to Cricket, but I have a few questions. First, can an AT&T locked phone work on Cricket without needing to be unlocked? I have a Nexus anyways, but I'm just curious. Secondly, how bad is the throttling on the $40 ($35) plan after you go through 500mb? I basically only use my phone data for streaming Pandora in my car and occasionally web browsing and I generally don't go over 500mb on t-mobile, but sometimes I do. Would the speed be sufficient for Pandora without waiting forever between songs if I began being throttled?

1. Locked to AT&T will still work. But why not ask for an unlock? It can only be beneficial to you.
2. After your "high speed allotment" the speeds drop to 128~256kbps so not really enough to stream Pandora without significant buffering times.

If you haven't already gotten one, PM me or another Cricket subscriber (I know there are a few in here) for a referral. It'll get you and the referrer a $25 credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

SB35 posted:

1. Locked to AT&T will still work. But why not ask for an unlock? It can only be beneficial to you.
2. After your "high speed allotment" the speeds drop to 128~256kbps so not really enough to stream Pandora without significant buffering times.

If you haven't already gotten one, PM me or another Cricket subscriber (I know there are a few in here) for a referral. It'll get you and the referrer a $25 credit.

I'm also a Cricket user too, I want in on this referral train.

Speaking of, do we have a thread somewhere with a referral chain set up?

• Locked thread