Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Woden posted:

How big is the north anyway? I looked a the map in the OP and the HBO guide but both cut it off, I guess that so the White Walkers can march for 10 years, not making it to The Wall and not have the map be huge.

It didnt seem to take that one who had Crasters last kid long to get to Icecrown Citadel since it didnt freeze to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
The White Walker army that we saw at the Season 2 Finale is at least reaching Castle Black by now. Slow, starving / fat Nights' Watch dudes made it back from that exact location a season ago and have done lots of stuff since then. Unless the White Walker army had no direction (which didn't seem to be the case since the leader pointed in one), they couldn't have been moving that much more slowly.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

I'm pretty sure the white walker army moves at the speed of winter (aka the speed of plot). They're not actively marching south 24/7.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Windfall posted:

Unless the White Walker army had no direction (which didn't seem to be the case since the leader pointed in one), they couldn't have been moving that much more slowly.
Come on. It's perfectly in character for the White Walkers to be moving at a glacial pace.

...I'll excuse myself, now.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Well, he pointed at the Fist of the First Men, and they attacked the Night's Watch there. We don't know if they've moved on the Wall yet, we haven't seen their army since, just individual White Walkers.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Windfall posted:

The White Walker army that we saw at the Season 2 Finale is at least reaching Castle Black by now.

It'd be hilarious if the Wildling army gets ganked and converted right the hell there

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
I'm hoping that the White Walkers have ice-shaping powers, and when they get to the wall, all they have to do is do a Moses and get it to move out of the way.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Currently Daenerys is 17 years old in the show, right?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Bobo the Red posted:

I'm hoping that the White Walkers have ice-shaping powers, and when they get to the wall, all they have to do is do a Moses and get it to move out of the way.

Be kind of a silly thing to build a wall designed to keep them out with ice then, wouldn't it?

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Pleasant Friend posted:

Currently Daenerys is 17 years old in the show, right?

No, Dany was 18 when the show started. And by Sansa's age progression it has been at least two years.

She got aged up more because of the nudity and rape

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

rypakal posted:

No, Dany was 18 when the show started. And by Sansa's age progression it has been at least two years.

Huh, thankyou for the confirmation. I was talking with my friend who was convinced of the accuracy of this pic.

And I was confused, because there's no way she looks thirteen.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Windfall posted:

The White Walker army that we saw at the Season 2 Finale is at least reaching Castle Black by now. Slow, starving / fat Nights' Watch dudes made it back from that exact location a season ago and have done lots of stuff since then. Unless the White Walker army had no direction (which didn't seem to be the case since the leader pointed in one), they couldn't have been moving that much more slowly.

The Night's Watch already fought that army in season 3, but it was completely off-screened for budget and time.

I realize that kind of reads like a joke but it really isn't.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Woden posted:

How big is the north anyway? I looked a the map in the OP and the HBO guide but both cut it off, I guess that so the White Walkers can march for 10 years, not making it to The Wall and not have the map be huge.

small enough so that a whitewalker can pick up a baby from crastor's and bring it to their HQ without it dying

north of the wall is 1 square mile. everyone is just real bad at directions

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

rypakal posted:

I thought she was 14 in the books and 16 in the show in season 1? I didn't think they aged her up 4 entire years.

e: also I just saw that if you give GRRM $10,000 for charity or something he'll "name a character in a future GOT book after you and kill them off in a grisly way". :eyeroll:

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

precision posted:

e: also I just saw that if you give GRRM $10,000 for charity or something he'll "name a character in a future GOT book after you and kill them off in a grisly way". :eyeroll:

precision posted:

for charity

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

precision posted:

I thought she was 14 in the books and 16 in the show in season 1? I didn't think they aged her up 4 entire years.

That loving peice of poo poo!!!!

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

precision posted:

I will do this and tell GRRM my name is Barack Obama

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

whowhatwhere posted:

Be kind of a silly thing to build a wall designed to keep them out with ice then, wouldn't it?

Well, the Wall was built after the first invasion, wasn't it?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Accretionist posted:

It'd be hilarious if the Wildling army gets ganked and converted right the hell there

They could have ganked the Wildling army anytime, though. The White Walkers are waiting for something. The only question is what?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

They could have ganked the Wildling army anytime, though. The White Walkers are waiting for something. The only question is what?

The show to get around to their plot.

Seriously though, they are the most menacing threat to everyone yet somehow they're just being totally glossed over in the narrative. I mean we had that one shot of the King Iceman turning the baby into a white walker, but beyond that pretty much nothing. I don't get it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

On Terra Firma posted:

The show to get around to their plot.

Seriously though, they are the most menacing threat to everyone yet somehow they're just being totally glossed over in the narrative. I mean we had that one shot of the King Iceman turning the baby into a white walker, but beyond that pretty much nothing. I don't get it.

I think its that everyone is dealing with this petty poo poo, not realizing that the real problem is coming and when it does it will be shocking for everyone.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I think it's possible they're waiting for the battle at the wall to conclude. poo poo's gonna get corpsey, which means they could scoop up Mance's ranks and add them to their own with basically no effort.

I mean, the handful of actual walkers could head down to Westeros at any time and start cracking heads, but they're going to need a proper army if they're going to do more than kick over peasant's mud huts for weeks at a time.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 6, 2014

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

A Theon? We've already got one. It's verry nice!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I think it's possible they're waiting for the battle at the wall to conclude. poo poo's gonna get corpsey, which means they could scoop up Mance's ranks and add them to their own with basically no effort.

I mean, the handful of actual walkers could head down to Westeros at any time and start cracking heads, but they're going to need a proper army if they're going to do more than kick over peasant's mud huts for weeks at a time.

I mean they're basically immortal without dragon glass weapons, right? Which nobody makes anymore. So until the denizens of Westeros can get their collective poo poo together and start churning those things out the White Walkers get to do whatever they want. Although you do still need numbers to take down, say, a castle. Assuming they're even intelligent enough to do so. And wait they would need war machines to do that as well, or at least a battering ram or something....

Come to think of it why are we supposed to be afraid of these guys?

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 6, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

PantsBandit posted:

I mean they're basically immortal without dragon glass weapons, right? Which nobody makes anymore. So until the denizens of Westeros can get their collective poo poo together and start churning those things out the White Walkers get to do whatever they want.

Well yeah, but their only abilities, beyond their invulnerability, seem to be making poo poo cold and raising the dead (also that baby conversion thing). They're total badasses but they seem to move at a pretty slow clip. If they all got a group of wights to command they could divide up and conquer Westeros more efficiently.

Also this is sorta conjecture, since we've only seen a wight get burned, but I'm going to guess the scary ice guys in "A Song of Ice and Fire" have some sort of weakness to fire. Someone's gonna think to try it at least.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Macaluso posted:

That loving peice of poo poo!!!!

Dude I wasn't saying he was an rear end in a top hat for doing it, just that it's a pretty dumb gimmicky thing. Having it be for charity doesn't make it less dumb.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

precision posted:

Dude I wasn't saying he was an rear end in a top hat for doing it, just that it's a pretty dumb gimmicky thing. Having it be for charity doesn't make it less dumb.

Kinda does make it less dumb since... yknow... he's doing it for charity. I mean is it that big of a deal that he's going to write some guy named Johnny in as a random knight from House Beesbury biting it?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah seems like if he was going to have Jon Snow meet a guy named Bob for breakfast and then look over to see him get disemboweled by a White Walker at lunch but now instead of Bob his name is Tom and some charity just got $10,000 that it's a pretty good idea.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I for one look forward to reading the adventures of Ser Weedlord of House Hitlerboner.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

precision posted:

Don't see what the big deal is, not like he's actually going to write anyway.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Irish Joe posted:

I'm thinking the risen are heat intolerant and would begin rotting anywhere south of Darth Maul's Ice Hotel. It makes sense that in low-fantasy you wouldn't have rot-proofed zombies.

The actual White Walkers, though, seem to absorb energy from their environments, so I don't think they'd have that problem.

I wonder if GRRM read about the Heat Death of the Universe and decided to make a monster representing negative entropy or something. Maybe that's the grand concept, the Red god spits out energy into life because it wants to get everything that exists laid whereas Darth Maul's hoovering it all up for one that's like, "gently caress y'all," because it wants to live, literally, forever.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Accretionist posted:

I'm thinking the risen are heat intolerant and would begin rotting anywhere south of Darth Maul's Ice Hotel. It makes sense that in low-fantasy you wouldn't have rot-proofed zombies.

The actual White Walkers, though, seem to absorb energy from their environments, so I don't think they'd have that problem.

I wonder if GRRM read about the Heat Death of the Universe and decided to make a monster representing negative entropy or something. Maybe that's the grand concept, the Red god spits out energy into life because it wants to get everything that exists laid whereas Darth Maul's hoovering it all up for one that's like, "gently caress y'all," because it wants to live, literally, forever.

Oooh you just made me think of something, what if the White Walkers can actually cause areas around them to freeze when in large enough numbers? I can just imagine a final showdown at King's Landing, with the normal tropical climate replaced by freezing weather, Blackwater Bay frozen solid.

But I mean Winter Is Coming anyways so I don't think they'll have to worry about rotting.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 6, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Accretionist posted:

The correlation between darkness, cold, and death/light, heat, and life is hardly something you need to head to wikipedia to learn about. It's used constantly and is readily apparent in reality, no matter what your understanding of entropy is.

What's interesting about the parallel is that GRRM didn't make the factions representing these diametrically opposed elements moral opposites as well. Sure, fair bet The Red God is the lesser of two evils, but Melisandre is still burning people alive, cursing people, etc. While the Walkers are certainly presented as the only group of true antagonists, we don't know why they're doing what they do. They could have as much reason to kill as anyone else in this show.

I'd hardly call it revolutionary writing, but it's refreshing to see a story where even opposites aren't black and white in characterization.

PantsBandit posted:

Oooh you just made me think of something, what if the White Walkers can actually cause areas around them to freeze when in large enough numbers? I can just imagine a final showdown at King's Landing, with the normal tropical climate replaced by freezing weather, Blackwater Bay frozen solid.

But I mean Winter Is Coming anyways so I don't think they'll have to worry about rotting.

Well, we know the environment gets perceptibly colder when just one is around. It's quite likely that the Stark words actually refer to the Walkers themselves.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Don't see what the big deal is, not like he's actually going to write anyway.

That's true. It seems like a safe bet that book 6 won't come out until the show is in season 6, if ever.

I think he's latched onto a really clever way of getting other people to essentially write the plot for him. He tells the showrunners the "broad strokes", they fill in the blanks, he novelizes it and gets another truckload of money. Kind of genius really.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Irish Joe posted:

I think they're more like a force of nature than an army. They're probably going to advance with the seasons, not some sort of military time table.

The maesters declared summer over back in season 2 or 3, and the summer lasted something like 9 years. Winter is on its way but it hasn't arrived yet.

Presumably the great threat of the white walkers isn't from swords or sieges, it's from a winter no one can survive.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

precision posted:

Yeah, that sounds more right. Dany should be almost as old as Jon and Robb, since they would all have been conceived around the same time. My understanding was that Catelyn was pregnant with Robb when Ned went off to fight the Mad King, and that Jon was born during that same campaign.

Since Aerys II was king-slain within this window, Dany had to be within at least 9 months of then. How old was (show) Robb in season one? 17?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

precision posted:

I think he's latched onto a really clever way of getting other people to essentially write the plot for him. He tells the showrunners the "broad strokes", they fill in the blanks, he novelizes it and gets another truckload of money. Kind of genius really.

Yep he only had to write 5200 pages of best seller level content and now he just gets to COAST. What a clever guy :rolleyes:

Mide
Jun 2, 2009
You'd think that GRRM would be rich enough already? He isn't young and skinny anymore; so you think he would have more money than he could spend within the remaining two years he has left before dying from a stroke.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

precision posted:

You know he started writing in TV before Game of Thrones became immesnely popular, which is why GoT is more plot-centric than character-centric right? Not to mention that GoT started nearly two decades ago. This isn't some get rich quick scheme or lovely writing designed to wring as much money from people as possible (looking at you Dan Brown).

Not to mention that it has been stated time and again that he signed over his rights to the show, the producers and show runners can do whatever they want with his material. He mentioned before in an interview that there are no stipulations as to what they can do and he does not have creative control. They can have Space Vampires fly in and save Tyrion if they wanted. They aren't going to wait for him to write anything to continue the show.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

precision posted:

Hate to break it to y'all but my donation created the Oberyn character and GRRM even let me pick his exact grisly death for an extra 5k.

• Locked thread