Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I think that last night's episode of Adventure Time may be the one that finally breaks the fanbase. It certainly can't with any honesty be called a children's show anymore.

That said, I liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

lelandjs posted:

So I think that last night's episode of Adventure Time may be the one that finally breaks the fanbase. It certainly can't with any honesty be called a children's show anymore.

That said, I liked it.

goons hoot and holler at death dismemberment masturbation and absentee dads, and declare Adventure Time savior of cartoons. flyboy finn cooly couches a lumpy lady in front of Americas children, broadcast by cartoon network; goons declare it not for children.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
im starting to think some of the posters here are afraid of sexual contact!!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

scary ghost dog posted:

there are Doctor Who fans who believe that, despite having a granddaughter, the Doctor has never had sex and that, in fact, he was not even born via sex, but through a complex system of genetic looms.

yeah.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

there are Doctor Who fans who believe that, despite having a granddaughter, the Doctor has never had sex and that, in fact, he was not even born via sex, but through a complex system of genetic looms.

yeah.

hosed up if true

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

scary ghost dog posted:

hosed up if true

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Loom

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Wow.... This Scifi Jargon has enlightened me to the virginal nature of Dr Who fans.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

DoctorWhat posted:

yeah.

You're crazy. Doctor Who's My Daddy sounds like a wonderful show.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

scary ghost dog posted:

It's less being afraid of sexual contact and more being :rolleyes: at how the Adventure Time people think that cramming as many awkward hamfisted puberty metaphors as possible into their show makes them clever and sophisticated even when it alienates the shows intended audience.

Of course I stopped watching the show when they decided to break out time travel and alternate dimensions just for that next level of unwarranted self-importance so :shrug:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Frankly I can't believe that Dr Who fans believe anything so heretical about The Doctor like him being the product of some kind of crazy immaculate conception , when everyone should know that the man looking alien who always travels through time and space to London circa 2000 is the product of some sexy rear end, butt-touch style body rub whole loving.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

scary ghost dog posted:

goons hoot and holler at death dismemberment masturbation and absentee dads, and declare Adventure Time savior of cartoons. flyboy finn cooly couches a lumpy lady in front of Americas children, broadcast by cartoon network; goons declare it not for children.

It's not just the LSP that makes it not a children's show anymore (though it doesn't help). The plot was Finn being consumed with ennui and trying to break out of it with meaningless flings with multiple women.

That's not something any child would be interested in watching.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

lelandjs posted:

It's not just the LSP that makes it not a children's show anymore (though it doesn't help). The plot was Finn being consumed with ennui and trying to break out of it with meaningless flings with multiple women.

That's not something any child would be interested in watching.

Lol so you're a child? And that's how you know what children are interested in watching? Because when I was a kid I often found myself grasping for a clue of the state of the tv content zeitgeist and where I would draw the line vis a vis my own sexual contact, and all my friends would pull out cartoon vhs and pause to show me the sexy jokes put by the animators, and well guess who are super cool skateboard sexhavers and who posts on message boards.

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 6, 2014

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

scary ghost dog posted:

Lol so you're a child? And that's how you know what children are interested in watching? Because when I was a kid I often found myself grasping for a clue of the state of the tv content zeitgeist and where I would draw the line vis a vis my own sexual contact, and all my friends would pull out cartoon vhs and pause to show me the sexy jokes put by the animators, and well guess who are super cool skateboard sexhavers and who posts on message boards.

Good night, everybody!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUaZ89rWWPI

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

scary ghost dog posted:

The thing about most "sexy jokes" in children's shows is still that they're still visibly jokes. The video above is a great example of that. The musical cues and animation still engage even a very young child, regardless if they understand the double entendre of fingering Prince.

Nothing about Breezy offers engagement on that level for the average 6-12yo child, ostensibly the show's target audience.

THAT SAID I do not find fault with the show as a result. I think that Adventure Time has done a fantastic job morphing from the bizzare, off kilter children's adventure show that it started off as to the teenage boy's guide to maturity that it now is.

But to think that the show is still intended for the audienceDEMOGRAPHIC (thanks, pedantic ghost dog!) it started off with is naive.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jun 6, 2014

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

lelandjs posted:

The thing about most "sexy jokes" in children's shows is still that they're still visibly jokes. The video above is a great example of that. The musical cues and animation still engage even a very young child, regardless if they understand the double entendre of fingering Prince.

Nothing about Breezy offers engagement on that level for the average 6-12yo child, ostensibly the show's target audience.

THAT SAID I do not find fault with the show as a result. I think that Adventure Time has done a fantastic job morphing from the bizzare, off kilter children's adventure show that it started off as to the teenage boy's guide to maturity that it now is.

But to think that the show is still intended for the audience it started off with is naive.

Adventure Time premiered four years ago, and its demo was 9 year olds, on average. Now, its demo is 13 year olds, averaged. Seems to me it is intended literally for the audience it started out with

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

scary ghost dog posted:

Adventure Time premiered four years ago, and its demo was 9 year olds, on average. Now, its demo is 13 year olds, averaged. Seems to me it is intended literally for the audience it started out with

Oh you know what I meant. The same demographic, not the same exact loving children.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

lelandjs posted:

Oh you know what I meant. The same demographic, not the same exact loving children.

Ok man you just keep knowing for sure whether or not children age 3-12 are gonna give up their favorite show because its main character got laid. Im just gonna go text my thirteen year old cousin, who has adventure time merch, and ask him the degree to which finn got boned last night. then, i will facetime my seven year old cousin, and ask him if lumpy space princess is still his favorite. then, i will watch the episode and judge for myself whether or not it is so mature and adult that it isnt even a cartoon anymore. then i will kill myself

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jun 6, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

scary ghost dog posted:

Ok man you just keep knowing for sure whether or not children age 3-12 are gonna give up their favorite show because its main character got laid. Im just gonna go text my thirteen year old cousin, who has adventure time merch, and ask him the degree to which finn got boned last night. then, i will facetime my seven year old cousin, and ask him if lumpy space princess is still his favorite. then, i will watch the episode and judge for myself whether or not it is so mature and adult that it isnt even a cartoon anymore. then i will kill myself

This argument has never been about whether Finn got laid or not. My point was that the themes and plot of the episode were far more mature than what the show started off with, and is an example of how the show's audience has changed. Existential angst and finding self-worth through meaningless flings just isn't something that interests a child, especially not when they've got Angry Birds on a tablet sitting next to them. The previous episode, which was about being forced to sacrifice artistic integrity, is also not something that interests children.

I'll be even more clear about my point. Adventure Time has aged with its audience. This is a good thing, since the morals it teaches are things that teenagers SHOULD be learning.

And it's a loving GREAT thing that it's a cartoon. God knows that we need more animation that blatantly disregards the animation age ghetto. The only other animated show that's still airing that demonstrates maturity is Venture Brothers, for gently caress's sake.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 6, 2014

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

lelandjs posted:

This argument has never been about whether Finn got laid or not. My point was that the themes and plot of the episode were far more mature than what the show started off with, and is an example of how the show's audience has changed. Existential angst and finding self-worth through meaningless flings just isn't something that interests a child, especially not when they've got Angry Birds on a tablet sitting next to them. The previous episode, which was about being forced to sacrifice artistic integrity, is also not something that interests children.

I'll be even more clear about my point. Adventure Time has aged with its audience. This is a good thing, since the morals it teaches are things that teenagers SHOULD be learning.

i'll be even more clear about my point: are you a loving child?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

scary ghost dog posted:

i'll be even more clear about my point: are you a loving child?

I'm not vegetarian, but I know that if I were to plunk a steak down in front of one he wouldn't be able to appreciate it the same way I would. Sure, he might say that it looks well cooked and that the plating is nice, but he's still not gonna eat it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

lelandjs posted:

I'm not vegetarian, but I know that if I were to plunk a steak down in front of one he wouldn't be able to appreciate it the same way I would. Sure, he might say that it looks well cooked and that the plating is nice, but he's still not gonna eat it.

here's a better analogy: lets say your a fat rear end in a top hat idiot. if i slap a big fat steak in front of you, you arent going to say "whats the cut? hows it cooked? wheres the cow from?" you're just gonna see that fat, juicy steak and chow the gently caress down. cartoons are like that for children.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Adventure Time fans are the worst. Nobody is saying a cartoon can't appeal to both children and "adults." The issue is whether Adventure Time still appeals to children despite abandoning all the child-friendly elements. Its not a coincidence that this conversation comes up every time AT has a stretch of episodes where the characters spend more time moping around and being sad than going on fun adventures.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Adventure Time fans are the worst. Nobody is saying a cartoon can't appeal to both children and "adults." The issue is whether Adventure Time still appeals to children despite abandoning everything that makes it entertaining to children. Its not a coincidence that this conversation comes up every time AT has a stretch of episodes where the characters spend more time moping around and being sad than going on fun adventures.

children go loving bazonkers about adventure time. there is no chance it is losing children fans. the only people who give a gently caress about the mature themes are the adults who watch it and then post all over the internet about how its becoming too mature and will be losing its audience because of its dark brooding maturity that they imagined because its still a fuckin cartoon called adventure time that takes place in a big magical world with a funny dog and a bubblegum princess.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I don't know, too much maturity is what ultimately killed Invader Zim.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's also why beautiesover30.cz fell apart.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

I wouldn't call Invader Zim "mature" at any point

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

I wouldn't call Invader Zim "mature" at any point
I cried for like three days when they had to euthanize Gir due to his arthritic hips.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've always been a fan of the more mature Adventure Time and defended it against accusations that it was becoming too weird and adult and not really for kids anymore, but I just watched the latest episode and...they might have gone a bit far this time.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
adventure time has GONE TOO FAR!!!!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

scary ghost dog posted:

the only people who give a gently caress about the mature themes are the adults who watch it

I honestly don't give a gently caress about mature themes, either. Its just that AT's "mature" episodes are dull as dishwater. As for kids still liking it, we don't know if they like it because of what it was or what it is. When I was a kid I watched Ren and Stimpy after John K left not because it was good (it wasn't), but because I still liked Ren and Stimpy from when it was good. I can imagine today's kids doing the same thing and only watching the show out of habit.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
EDIT: On second thought I'd rather not get involved.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e0ieIpBhsg

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Irish Joe posted:

Adventure Time fans are the worst.

Finally, something we can agree on. Why can't you guys keep the lovely Adventure Time arguments in the lovely Adventure Time thread, it's like it's Community for manchildren who are too manchildy for the Community thread.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

raditts posted:

Finally, something we can agree on. Why can't you guys keep the lovely Adventure Time arguments in the lovely Adventure Time thread, it's like it's Community for manchildren who are too manchildy for the Community thread.

Reminder that there are a significant number of grown rear end men who are super excited to watch this reboot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Ft3viBgtQ

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

zoux posted:

Reminder that there are a significant number of grown rear end men who are super excited to watch this reboot:

Of course they are. Of course.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

scary ghost dog posted:

adventure time has GONE TOO FAR!!!!

It was an awesome episode but it did literally have a sexual assault in it (which I know will open up a new can of worms, but it totally did)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GoT is now HBO's most popular show ever.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

I like the show and yes please keep these arguments, and especially the ridiculous overanalysis, quarantined in the Adventure Time thread. tia

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

zoux posted:

As someone with only passing knowledge of the original, why the hell is Sailor Venus holding anal beads?

• Locked thread