Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bown posted:

It was an awesome episode but it did literally have a sexual assault in it (which I know will open up a new can of worms, but it totally did)

Adventure Time's target demo reacting to the latest rape-filled episode:

Things are getting so bad, I can't keep track of all the rapists on tv anymore. A few weeks ago it was Jaime Lannister, then Louie got in the game and now its Finn. Someone should start a rape megathread or maybe put notes in the index thread listing shows with rapists.

edit: *known rapists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Finn wasn't the rapist actually

I'm not defending that episode at all, it's pretty indulgent but still

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No, Finn was the victim. It was Lumpy Space Princess who was the rapist.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
We are all the rapist.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

cool kids inc. posted:

As someone with only passing knowledge of the original, why the hell is Sailor Venus holding anal beads?

Don't kink shame.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I really wonder what the writers think they're doing. Because even assuming the people who sperg about SYMBOLISM in the thread are right, not just about this but about other things like BMO being a metaphor for transsexuals, it doesn't actually add anything. It just shows a massive misassumption about who they think the show should be for. Making a children's show with mature themes is fine but not when you bury those themes so deeply in silly jokes and abstractions that I can't imagine children getting anything they're trying to say. They've made a kid's show kids can't even understand.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

MrAristocrates posted:

I really wonder what the writers think they're doing. Because even assuming the people who sperg about SYMBOLISM in the thread are right, not just about this but about other things like BMO being a metaphor for transsexuals, it doesn't actually add anything. It just shows a massive misassumption about who they think the show should be for. Making a children's show with mature themes is fine but not when you bury those themes so deeply in silly jokes and abstractions that I can't imagine children getting anything they're trying to say. They've made a kid's show kids can't even understand.

Children aren't supposed to get those jokes, those jokes are specifically for adults who are watching those shows with their kids(Or Goons)

The Children when they are older will then look back and realize that those jokes went completely over their head.

I've rewatched some of Rocko's Modern Life recently and some of those jokes are great.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

MrAristocrates posted:

BMO being a metaphor for transsexuals

:catstare:

I'm so glad I bailed on that thread about 2 pages in.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Thread turn left noooooooo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dexo posted:

Children aren't supposed to get those jokes, those jokes are specifically for adults who are watching those shows with their kids(Or Goons)

The Children when they are older will then look back and realize that those jokes went completely over their head.

I've rewatched some of Rocko's Modern Life recently and some of those jokes are great.

It's fine to make jokes children can't understand in a kid's show but locking them out of the major themes of your work is really bad.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
gently caress yo' cartoons, anyone excited to watch Power?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Does Power have any self-awareness? The description makes it sounds like some shallow masturbatory fantasy of 50 Cents'.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

I asked if this was likely to happen a month ago and everyone told me I was an idiot.

:smug:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rarity posted:

I asked if this was likely to happen a month ago and everyone told me I was an idiot.

Wasn't it already HBO's most popular show like years ago?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rarity posted:

Uh, that was unrelated.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

I keep forgetting The Sopranos was watched by a shitload of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You are all the worst.

• Locked thread