Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

MY ABACUS! posted:

Can anyone recommend an image viewer/browser that does tagging well? I have a huge library of inspiration and reference images for art stuff and I'd love to be able to make my own tags for stuff like medium, subject, color, interior/exterior, stuff like that. I have everything in individual folders now, but it's pretty clumsy. I think someone told me that OSX does this natively, but I need something for Windows.

I use Windows Live Photo Gallery for tagging my photos, heh. Works for my needs, anyway. (Although I vastly prefer and use the older 2009 version).

There are other ones out there for managing photos that I haven't used, such as Picasa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I need a video converter program. I would like it to use my GPU to encode as it should encode much faster than my CPU. GTX 680 vs i7 920. Badaboom was what I used when I had GTX 460s, but they stopped support for the GTX 6 series and have closed up shop.

Posted this in the freeware thread as well. I would like a free option, but paid is fine as long as it isn't like over say $40.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

I've tried Googling, but I'm not sure where to look exactly.

I have to setup a program that is exactly the same on 8-10 computers.

Is there a good program that will let one mouse control the cursor on multiple networked computers? I've seen stuff like multiboxing, but it looks mostly aimed at gaming.

I am I guess looking for a recommendation on a product to use.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

Is there a good program that will let one mouse control the cursor on multiple networked computers? I've seen stuff like multiboxing, but it looks mostly aimed at gaming.

Is it a rare one? Otherwise you could check if its on Ninite.com.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I use Synergy. I'm not sure if you want to control the computers from one keyboard/mouse or duplicate mouse/keyboard input to all of the computers.

Also there are things like AutoIt/Windows Automation API/etc that provide varying degrees of programmability/ease of use/portability.

If this is windows and you are using something that provides a msi then you can install it silently

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

I think TeamViewer has support for that, I can't remember

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

I used to play EVE with a guy who ran six identical setups. After trying some insane thing involving six mice connected by dowels I think he went to that Synergy software.

edit: Do you need to click on everything at the same time or do you just need to install the same thing on a bunch of computers? If its the second thing and they are on a domain you can use group policy or PDQ Deploy or any number of other programs to push that out.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

I want to duplicate input across all computers. It's older POS software, so the base install is exactly the same on all the computers.

I'm not sure if I can push it through the domain - I don't have any real experience with that.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there any way to get the login password field in Windows 8.1 to respond faster? I often get an "incorrect password" because I type the first letter or two before the field becomes active.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Anyone know what percentage of windows(and even osx) users who never upgrade beyond the os version that shipped with their PC? I know with the newer OS X versions, the software updater nags pretty hard for you to upgrade.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I actually find it's pretty rare even with Windows machines. If they somehow manage to avoid Windows Update's nagging or disable it, they end up with so much malware the machine ends up in a shop sooner rather than later, where it gets updated.

The only XP machines I can remember seeing the last year that were on SP0, 1 or 2 were ones that were running without an internet connection.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Entropic posted:

I actually find it's pretty rare even with Windows machines. If they somehow manage to avoid Windows Update's nagging or disable it, they end up with so much malware the machine ends up in a shop sooner rather than later, where it gets updated.

The only XP machines I can remember seeing the last year that were on SP0, 1 or 2 were ones that were running without an internet connection.

Haha. That's a pretty funny way to look at it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Is there a decent application I can use in Windows 7 to automate mouse clicks and keyboard presses? I googled and found a ton, but I'm not sure if there's a recommended free or shareware one. I need it to allow me to enter X/Y coordinates, set a timing delay for mouse clicks but also let me macro keyboard combinations.

EDIT:
http://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit/downloads/
this looks pretty decent.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It is.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What can I use to stream stuff from my computer to my PS3? I used to use PS3 Media Server, but it shows blank windows on Windows 8.1, and the same is true of Universal Media Server. I've asked about it a couple times on the UMS forums, but nothing's come of it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I remember someone saying they did it through plex and the web browser on PS4. Might be worth a shot on the PS3

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Plex will also do UPNP streaming like PMS or UMS.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

hooah posted:

What can I use to stream stuff from my computer to my PS3? I used to use PS3 Media Server, but it shows blank windows on Windows 8.1, and the same is true of Universal Media Server. I've asked about it a couple times on the UMS forums, but nothing's come of it.

For what it's worth, PS3 Media Server is running fine on my Window 8.1.
It's based on Java if I remember correctly, so maybe you need to update your Java Runtime?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Is there a decent application I can use in Windows 7 to automate mouse clicks and keyboard presses? I googled and found a ton, but I'm not sure if there's a recommended free or shareware one. I need it to allow me to enter X/Y coordinates, set a timing delay for mouse clicks but also let me macro keyboard combinations.

EDIT:
http://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit/downloads/
this looks pretty decent.

AutoIt is fantastic, and has many uses.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Any idea as to why Skype is longer detecting my laptop's webcam? Admittedly I hadn't tried to make a video call for a week or two, but when I tried one last night it said I had no webcam installed. Other software on my computer can detect it and is outputting video like normal so I assume it's a problem with Skype, not the camera. Was there some sort of update put out recently?

E: Uninstalled Skype, cleaned out the registry with CCleaner, rebooted and reinstalled. First video call starts dialing then crashes Skype, then subsequent attempts to call don't recognize the camera. It doesn't even recognize that I have one in any of the menus :smith:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 10, 2014

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Hi guys, I need some advice regarding Windows Movie Maker. I like to use the old XP version because the newer ones are well...even shittier, but the XP version of Movie Maker (known as Windows Movie Maker 2.1 I believe) is a lot easier for me to use in making basic videos.

So I downloaded it, I'm using Windows 7 but it worked on my last PC, and the screen is just kept constantly blank for some reason when playing video. It told me to download Media Player Classic but that still didn't work and all I got was a bunch of junkware along with it that I quickly got rid of before anything else.

Any advice you guys can give me? Or at least recommendations for a free movie maker program that's just as easy to use as Windows Movie Maker 2.1?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

FinalGamer posted:

Hi guys, I need some advice regarding Windows Movie Maker. I like to use the old XP version because the newer ones are well...even shittier, but the XP version of Movie Maker (known as Windows Movie Maker 2.1 I believe) is a lot easier for me to use in making basic videos.

So I downloaded it, I'm using Windows 7 but it worked on my last PC, and the screen is just kept constantly blank for some reason when playing video. It told me to download Media Player Classic but that still didn't work and all I got was a bunch of junkware along with it that I quickly got rid of before anything else.

Any advice you guys can give me? Or at least recommendations for a free movie maker program that's just as easy to use as Windows Movie Maker 2.1?

If it helps, here's Windows Movie Maker 6 (the one that came with Vista)
http://movies.blainesville.com/2010/05/installing-windows-movie-maker-60-on.html
Which is more fully featured than any other Windows Movie Maker, but was put to bed for Windows 7.

If you want to go baaaack in tiiime even further, Windows Movie Maker 2.6: http://www.microsoft.com/en-pk/download/details.aspx?id=34

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.
I recently went to download the latest version of TrueCrypt and was confronted with the following message on the sourceforge site:

:siren: "WARNING: Using TrueCrypt is not secure as it may contain unfixed security issues." :siren:

It seems that TC is no longer being updated for some bullshit reason that no one cares about.

My question: Is there an SA consensus on the best free encryption tool available? I poked around here and couldn't find a relevant thread.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Crescendo posted:

I recently went to download the latest version of TrueCrypt and was confronted with the following message on the sourceforge site:

:siren: "WARNING: Using TrueCrypt is not secure as it may contain unfixed security issues." :siren:

It seems that TC is no longer being updated for some bullshit reason that no one cares about.

My question: Is there an SA consensus on the best free encryption tool available? I poked around here and couldn't find a relevant thread.

Truecrypt 7.1a - as it has not been to shown to have any holes and prelim reports from an independant auditor shows no major problems with it.

http://truecrypt.ch/ - legit download site
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06/04/truecrypt_ch/

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.

spog posted:

Truecrypt 7.1a - as it has not been to shown to have any holes and prelim reports from an independant auditor shows no major problems with it.

http://truecrypt.ch/ - legit download site
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06/04/truecrypt_ch/

Ah, cool. I'll just keep using 7.1a then.

Thanks. :)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The TrueCrypt thing came up a couple pages ago. They're a secret dev team so it's all :iiam: and this weird reversal came out of nowhere, but the client is open-source and there was a big audit going on that found nothing wrong with it.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

HalloKitty posted:

If it helps, here's Windows Movie Maker 6 (the one that came with Vista)
http://movies.blainesville.com/2010/05/installing-windows-movie-maker-60-on.html
Which is more fully featured than any other Windows Movie Maker, but was put to bed for Windows 7.

If you want to go baaaack in tiiime even further, Windows Movie Maker 2.6: http://www.microsoft.com/en-pk/download/details.aspx?id=34
PERFECT, thank you man! :D that's just what I was looking for, you're a big help.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

Any guesses who these steam users are running XP, Vista and XP-64? Curious if they're running on hardware thats from the same era as their OS.

One thing that looks good is that 32bit versions of Windows7/8 seems to be on a decent down trend.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Stupidest question. I've got a copy of Win8 Pro sitting around, I made sure to pick it up before the price increase and never bothered installing it.

If I were to go ahead and run the upgrade on my Win7 box, I can get 8.1 for free through Windows Update, right?

EDIT: So with 30 seconds of googling, I found the answer, and the answer is "yes".

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/update-from-windows-8-tutorial

Now for a less obvious question: would it be better for me to grab an 8.1 disk and upgrade directly to that? I imagine I could find an image somewhere and use my 8.0 upgrade key...

JohnnyCanuck fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 10, 2014

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I can't say for sure but I would try the 8.1 media with your 8 key. Slipstream is always best.

It bugs me when people clean install an older OS just to upgrade to a newer one. I know thats not your case but related none the less.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Now for a less obvious question: would it be better for me to grab an 8.1 disk and upgrade directly to that? I imagine I could find an image somewhere and use my 8.0 upgrade key...

8.0 keys don't (directly) activate 8.1 installs. You can either install 8.0 then upgrade to 8.1, or use a dummy key to do an 8.1 install, then clear it and activate with your 8.0 key.

We really need a :microsoft: smilie.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Factor Mystic posted:

8.0 keys don't (directly) activate 8.1 installs. You can either install 8.0 then upgrade to 8.1, or use a dummy key to do an 8.1 install, then clear it and activate with your 8.0 key.

Does anyone know what the sanctioned dummy keys are now? The one I used last install doesn't work now.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Factor Mystic posted:

Can't you just install without a key like 7 and then do the registry trick?

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

You can install without a key if you create an ei.cfg file: http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-skip-product-key-when-installing-windows-8/

It's effectively the same as using a dummy key but you don't have to type it in. You can then activate 8.1 using an 8 key.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

WorkingStiff posted:

Does anyone know what the sanctioned dummy keys are now? The one I used last install doesn't work now.

I want to say I used a KMS key matching the same edition, but now I can't remember. Google, etc.

Shaocaholica posted:

The installer always asks for a key (unless the installation media has been prepared, which a retail iso won't be). But even if the key won't activate you still have to punch in a valid one for your version and edition (eg, 8.1 Pro). Dummy keys work because even though they won't activate they'll let you install, then you can use your authentic 8.0 key to activate later.

PPills
Oct 5, 2004
I'll ask again, does anyone know how to get rid of evercookies, a program, or otherwise? Thanks.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

PPills posted:

I'll ask again, does anyone know how to get rid of evercookies, a program, or otherwise? Thanks.

CCleaner claims to do so, which I think is the answer someone gave you last time you asked?

PPills
Oct 5, 2004

Read posted:

CCleaner claims to do so, which I think is the answer someone gave you last time you asked?

I don't see where anyone responded? Either way, so I ran CCleaner and it decided to clear out my Portable Chrome's bookmarks and extensions (all my extensions' icons are now all blank puzzle pieces), but it kept other stuff like browsing history, cookies, and form/password data. (I had to go into the CCleaner settings to include the Portable Chrome folder.)

Was it supposed to screw my poo poo up, or did I not un-check an option somewhere? I only clicked Analyze, and saw it removed some files, including something about Flash storage. I never clicked Run Cleaner. At this point it was simply too late to make a backup copy of my Chrome folder, then I went ahead and pressed Run Cleaner to finish it off.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

PPills posted:

I don't see where anyone responded? Either way, so I ran CCleaner and it decided to clear out my Portable Chrome's bookmarks and extensions (all my extensions' icons are now all blank puzzle pieces), but it kept other stuff like browsing history, cookies, and form/password data. (I had to go into the CCleaner settings to include the Portable Chrome folder.)

Was it supposed to screw my poo poo up, or did I not un-check an option somewhere? I only clicked Analyze, and saw it removed some files, including something about Flash storage. I never clicked Run Cleaner. At this point it was simply too late to make a backup copy of my Chrome folder, then I went ahead and pressed Run Cleaner to finish it off.

Not to be obtuse but a piece of software cannot "decide" to do anything. YOU checked the wrong boxes and clicked the wrong buttons. Chrome Portable does not install to the default path where Ccleaner looks to delete information. You have to manually point Ccleaner to the path. Next time press Ctrl+Shift+Del in Chrome to bring up the interface to do it manually.

Chrome syncs your data if you are logged in. Log out and log back in. Unless you turned that off.

CCleaner can delete persistent LSO /Isolated Storage cookies, but if you need to do it manually go to the Flash site and delete them through their interface. Silverlight has it's own interface. You can also just not use these plugins or use NoScript.

What exactly is the issue you are trying to resolve?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
On Windows 7, what is the best way to completely transfer the contents between two hard drives? My old one is about four years old and seems to be on its way out, so I'm replacing it. I managed to install a new one (It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be) but at this point I don't actually know what the proper procedure is. Is there a specific Windows command or program or something to just shove everything in there and make it the new C: drive?