Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Byzantine posted:

Arkham Origins has Gordon call Batman out repeatedly on that.

I was 98% done with collecting everything due to OCD and boredom and the loving game locked up during a load. I had to reboot my 360. Yay, my save file is corrupted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

biosterous posted:

Being unable to skip radio songs in Sleeping Dogs, especially since the radio setlist is buggy and sometimes keeps playing the same three songs over and over again. I'm tired of Parlour Mob, play the Machine Head songs already! :argh:

This reminds me of the playlist feature in the Saint's Row series. You can customize your radio station, but you have to manually adjust the order that the songs play in, which is annoying. I just want to listen to my music on shuffle, Saint's Row! (maybe they fixed this in IV. I haven't played it.)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Henchman of Santa posted:

This reminds me of the playlist feature in the Saint's Row series. You can customize your radio station, but you have to manually adjust the order that the songs play in, which is annoying. I just want to listen to my music on shuffle, Saint's Row! (maybe they fixed this in IV. I haven't played it.)

They haven't.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Henchman of Santa posted:

The radio in SR4 feels very repetitive anyway because it's no longer limited to vehicles, since vehicles are much less important when you have super powers. I generally play with the radio off, just because I've heard it all so many times.

eddoghetto
Mar 27, 2007
612 Wharf Avenue
Just recently replayed God of War, and I got through like 90% of the game on Spartan difficulty. Then I kept dying on one of the platforming parts with spinning logs, and the game kept repeatedly asking me if I wanted to lower the difficulty because I was dying so much, and I accidentally said 'yes' without realizing it, and ended up saving right at the end of the game on the lower difficulty.

The only thing the difficulty affects is the combat, which I wasn't having any trouble with, and once you lower it you can't change it back without restoring a previous save or starting a new game. So after hours of playing on the hardest difficulty, I ended up spending literally less than a minute on the final boss of the game.

Why not let me change the difficulty to a harder mode during play? Or at least stop asking me if I want to switch to an easier one after I've already said 'no' like ten times.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

eddoghetto posted:

Just recently replayed God of War, and I got through like 90% of the game on Spartan difficulty. Then I kept dying on one of the platforming parts with spinning logs, and the game kept repeatedly asking me if I wanted to lower the difficulty because I was dying so much, and I accidentally said 'yes' without realizing it, and ended up saving right at the end of the game on the lower difficulty.

The only thing the difficulty affects is the combat, which I wasn't having any trouble with, and once you lower it you can't change it back without restoring a previous save or starting a new game. So after hours of playing on the hardest difficulty, I ended up spending literally less than a minute on the final boss of the game.

Why not let me change the difficulty to a harder mode during play? Or at least stop asking me if I want to switch to an easier one after I've already said 'no' like ten times.

B-b-b-b-b-but you might CHEAT on the game's PRECIOUS ACHIEVEMENT for beating the game on 1992 hardcore normandy beach volleyball mode, you can't expect the programmers to account for such a thing!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tiggum posted:

The radio in SR4 feels very repetitive anyway because it's no longer limited to vehicles, since vehicles are much less important when you have super powers. I generally play with the radio off, just because I've heard it all so many times.

That probably is why it feels more repetitive. You're hearing it for 95% of the game now, instead of just when you're in vehicles.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

eddoghetto posted:

You're not missing anything. Trust me. The final boss on Spartan has an unavoidable supermove which is unavoidable and hits for 100% of the tug-of-war. You can be one hit from winning and if he RNGs that move you lose, try again.

And again. And again. And again.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Re: God of War

The final Gozilla fight with Ares locked up on my PS2. Pissed me off since it's such a slog to get through.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

biosterous posted:

Being unable to skip radio songs in Sleeping Dogs, especially since the radio setlist is buggy and sometimes keeps playing the same three songs over and over again. I'm tired of Parlour Mob, play the Machine Head songs already! :argh:

My hypothesis on this is that the radio replays the same song on campaign missions. These songs are the theme songs for that mission, so the radio keeps trying to play it. For this reason, on replays I've tried to stay in the car as much as possible through the story missions, so as to not interrupt and repeat the music.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

eddoghetto posted:

The most obnoxious thing about this feature is that the only parts of the game I have to redo enough times to prompt this (save the fight with Ares) are the ridiculous platforming sections that are unaffected by what difficulty setting you're on :negative:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The final boss of Drakengard 3, ending D is the dumbest loving thing ever.

Its a rhythm game, except you can't miss at all and the perspective shifts in the most retarded ways, its pure fake difficulty bullshit.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Alteisen posted:

The final boss of Drakengard 3, ending D is the dumbest loving thing ever.

Its a rhythm game, except you can't miss at all and the perspective shifts in the most retarded ways, its pure fake difficulty bullshit.

It's literally Drakengard 1 Final Boss Part 2 and it's amazing

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alouicious posted:

It's literally Drakengard 1 Final Boss Part 2 and it's amazing

At least you can miss a few in Drak 1. :colbert:

Least the song's catchy, even though its fused into my brain at this point.

Alteisen has a new favorite as of 06:33 on Jun 5, 2014

Oliver Madly
Aug 17, 2008
Has anyone ever liked mining in Harvest Moon games? It's always the same repetitive, time consuming bullshit over and over again. It's even worse in Sunshine Islands because there aren't better items that negate stamina usage, just the Wonderful Stone system that's impossible to predict unless you reload your save dozens of time. Also 255 floors? Are you loving kidding me?

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

I really want to like Dark Souls II, but there are so many annoying little things dragging it down. I think the worst one of all might be Agility. In the original Dark Souls, you could roll at three different speeds based on your equip weight, with the faster rolls having more generous invincibility frames. In DS2, there are two speeds, and the limit for the faster one is pretty generous (which I like), but the number of iframes you get is now based on your Agility, which is increased by putting points into Adaptability and Attunement. Which basically means your roll will be completely useless for dodging attacks until you sink 20 points into a stat that does basically nothing else (or 40 points into a stat that increases your spell slots).

That wouldn't be so bad in and of itself if 90% of the bosses in the game weren't of the "attacks do absurd damage, have insanely long reach, and are incredibly difficult if not outright impossible to block, but really slow, so you can dodge* them!!" formula. The caveat being that you have to dodge it absolutely perfectly, or else you'll roll through the attack, then get hit by hit a quarter of a second later when you're three feet away. And it really doesn't help that a lot of bosses have really wonky or outright glitchy hitboxes. (Thanks for flattening me with the invisible force field projecting from your sword, Smelter Demon. And then teleporting me halfway across the arena for no reason.)

And if you can't increase your Agility at all? Ahahahahahaha. :unsmigghh: gently caress this gay soul level 1 run. Why must the Deprived be so lovely? Why are my only one-handed weapon options a dagger, a broken sword, and a ladle???

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

I really want to like Dark Souls II, but there are so many annoying little things dragging it down. I think the worst one of all might be Agility. In the original Dark Souls, you could roll at three different speeds based on your equip weight, with the faster rolls having more generous invincibility frames. In DS2, there are two speeds, and the limit for the faster one is pretty generous (which I like), but the number of iframes you get is now based on your Agility, which is increased by putting points into Adaptability and Attunement. Which basically means your roll will be completely useless for dodging attacks until you sink 20 points into a stat that does basically nothing else (or 40 points into a stat that increases your spell slots).

Oh, so that's why the roll is completely useless. That's just excellent. I stopped playing because of a combination of the roll being utter poo poo, and getting oneshot by everything because my max HP is now half of what it's supposed to be. I can't get anywhere and it's bullshit.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

That wouldn't be so bad in and of itself if 90% of the bosses in the game weren't of the "attacks do absurd damage, have insanely long reach, and are incredibly difficult if not outright impossible to block, but really slow, so you can dodge* them!!" formula. The caveat being that you have to dodge it absolutely perfectly, or else you'll roll through the attack, then get hit by hit a quarter of a second later when you're three feet away. And it really doesn't help that a lot of bosses have really wonky or outright glitchy hitboxes. (Thanks for flattening me with the invisible force field projecting from your sword, Smelter Demon. And then teleporting me halfway across the arena for no reason.)

And if you can't increase your Agility at all? Ahahahahahaha. :unsmigghh: gently caress this gay soul level 1 run. Why must the Deprived be so lovely? Why are my only one-handed weapon options a dagger, a broken sword, and a ladle???

Isn't the adaptability stat dump specifically to gently caress over low level runs like SL1?

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

So Watch Dogs has a pretty bland radio song selection. Thankfully the original music for the game is kickin' rad - but the thing is, you only hear parts of it during specific story missions. I really wish for an option to switch from the radio into the actual game soundtrack.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Any kind of low roofs in SSX
I just want to jump high, dammit :argh:

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Oliver Madly posted:

Has anyone ever liked mining in Harvest Moon games? It's always the same repetitive, time consuming bullshit over and over again. It's even worse in Sunshine Islands because there aren't better items that negate stamina usage, just the Wonderful Stone system that's impossible to predict unless you reload your save dozens of time. Also 255 floors? Are you loving kidding me?

Pfft, 255 floors is nothing compared to the torments that were the third and fourth mines of Harvest Moon: DS.
999 and 65,535 respectively, and the only way to complete both the item list and the enemy list in the fourth mine was to go down until you managed to encounter the Evil MC, who was only on floors that ended with 000. Plus, there was a chance you'd have to reset to get the Wonderful Stones, which were only on set floors, with only one stone per floor and with no guarantee you'd even get one.
Plus they were useless until you gathered every single one at which point you got a lousy wish from the Goddess. But if you wanted to marry her, this was a loving requirement.

At least the cursed tools and accessories were slightly less of a chore, but if you equipped them they became stuck in the slot and had to be blessed to be removed.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Inco posted:

Oh, so that's why the roll is completely useless. That's just excellent. I stopped playing because of a combination of the roll being utter poo poo, and getting oneshot by everything because my max HP is now half of what it's supposed to be. I can't get anywhere and it's bullshit.

Have you tried using a Human Effigy to refill your health?
Or if you go to Heide's Tower of Flame instead of Forest of Fallen Giants, and head towards the cathedral, literally right before the boss door is a metal chest containing a ring that puts your max HP when fully hollowed at 75% instead of 50%. The enemies along the way are strong but slow and mostly come at you one at a time. Some of them will even drop aggro if you run far enough. You do need to kill the last one to drop the drawbridge to the ring, though.

Edit:
Or in the Forest, at the merchant's bonfire (Cardinal Tower?) go upstairs, you can break that door down just by hitting it, pick up the Small White Soapstone, use that to help a dude and restore your health that way.

bewilderment has a new favorite as of 00:53 on Jun 6, 2014

Oliver Madly
Aug 17, 2008

Roro posted:

Pfft, 255 floors is nothing compared to the torments that were the third and fourth mines of Harvest Moon: DS.
999 and 65,535 respectively, and the only way to complete both the item list and the enemy list in the fourth mine was to go down until you managed to encounter the Evil MC, who was only on floors that ended with 000. Plus, there was a chance you'd have to reset to get the Wonderful Stones, which were only on set floors, with only one stone per floor and with no guarantee you'd even get one.
Plus they were useless until you gathered every single one at which point you got a lousy wish from the Goddess. But if you wanted to marry her, this was a loving requirement.

At least the cursed tools and accessories were slightly less of a chore, but if you equipped them they became stuck in the slot and had to be blessed to be removed.

That sounds horrific. I thought about picking up a used copy after I "finished" SI but never mind.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Oliver Madly posted:

That sounds horrific. I thought about picking up a used copy after I "finished" SI but never mind.

65,535 floors. Yeah gently caress no.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PJOmega posted:

65,535 floors. Yeah gently caress no.

You don't go down all 65k of them, there's stairs that let you skip over hundreds of floors at a time.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Alteisen posted:

At least you can miss a few in Drak 1. :colbert:

Least the song's catchy, even though its fused into my brain at this point.

Here's the video, Drakengard 3 spoilers obviously: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6w0Q_vh2BI

Is there a word for watching something and thinking, "Hah, that's total bullshit and I'm glad I'm not the one who had to play it over and over again," then watching the video over and over again just because the music is so cool? I mean, besides "Cavia."

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Inco posted:

Using a small white soapstone lets you co-op for 5 minutes or so and come back as a human. No need to do a boss

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Oliver Madly posted:

It sucks slightly less in Tale of Two Towns, and A New Beginning. It's still repetitive, but the mines are just one 'floor' with nodes that are pretty much "Push button, get prizes." The really tedious thing is savescumming for specific materials in ANB (which you will be doing, if you want to finish things in a timely fashion).

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Jose posted:

Using a small white soapstone lets you co-op for 5 minutes or so and come back as a human. No need to do a boss

Is the online better this time around? Last time I tried to do anything online in DaS1, everyone just teleported around constantly and then I fell over dead. My ping also likes to randomly shoot up to 500ms and hover there for minutes at a time.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Thinky Whale posted:

Here's the video, Drakengard 3 spoilers obviously: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6w0Q_vh2BI

Is there a word for watching something and thinking, "Hah, that's total bullshit and I'm glad I'm not the one who had to play it over and over again," then watching the video over and over again just because the music is so cool? I mean, besides "Cavia."

Please tell me that the Plat Trophy is "Thank You For Playing!" :j:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Inco posted:

Is the online better this time around? Last time I tried to do anything online in DaS1, everyone just teleported around constantly and then I fell over dead. My ping also likes to randomly shoot up to 500ms and hover there for minutes at a time.
No Games for Windows Live makes Dark Souls II players happy boys. You might still happen onto someone lagging, but it's rather rare in my experience.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Action Tortoise posted:

Re: God of War

The final Gozilla fight with Ares locked up on my PS2. Pissed me off since it's such a slog to get through.

This did it for me a lot too. Only with my friends PS2. It worked fine when I got home and tried it in mine. I assume his PS2 was just being janky and overheated because I hadn't turned it off since I started GoW from a new game.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Inco posted:

I sometimes had lag during co-op but it was never too bad. I don't do the PVP so its less of an issue when it does lag

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Hard Mode in Terraria really doesn't gently caress around, the very first night in hard mode I have a Blood Moon event and my house gets attacked by dozens of Wraiths, Unicorns and Werewolves, two ingame days later, a Pirate Invasion happens, and on the same day another Blood Moon happens!

I'm enjoying the new enemies and things to craft but, holy hell is it tough.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

The first Bioshock is still lots of fun to play. but it takes way too long to get to actual gameplay when you start a new game.

I mean yeah that happens in a lot of games, but this is what I'm playing now so

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Oliver Madly posted:

It's not compulsory to "finish" the game, inasmuch as the game can be finished. It's only really required to woo the Harvest Goddess or finish the shipping list, since the wishes are poo poo anyway and since the Goddess is a terrible wife herself only sadists attempt it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

biosterous posted:

The first Bioshock is still lots of fun to play. but it takes way too long to get to actual gameplay when you start a new game.

I mean yeah that happens in a lot of games, but this is what I'm playing now so

Ironically the exact opposite is true of Bioshock: Infinite, where the intro is the best part of the game by far. The moment you actually start shooting things is a real letdown.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Really are any of the Harvest Moon/Rune Factory games any good at all?

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard
Mario Kart 8, Great game, really fun. But here's my sticking point. I have two daughters and they love playing the game. They are quite young. The two of them play together on 50cc with Easy Com and they both come in 1-5th place. Pretty good. So I pick up a controller to join them, and we keep it at 50cc with easy coms. But I jump into first place because Easy coms and 50cc is way to easy for me and the game just decides on the fly to ramp up the difficulty. If I play with my daughters they will always come in 11th and 12th place because the WiiU decides because I am good enough for harder racers then screw the kids. It's pretty lame, My daughters still love racing with me, but for Christ's sake why can't they just let me race way up front and let them have fun instead of slingshotting every com player 1 lap ahead of them? Or take 2-5th place and have them on my rear end and leave the rest in 50cc Easy land? If they absolutely must punish a guy for playing below his ability level. It gets to the point where I want my girls to hit a dude with a shell, so I have to stop playing. Boo, Nintento, Booooo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Really are any of the Harvest Moon/Rune Factory games any good at all?

Depends on what kind of games you like, really. I actually really liked HM: DS, because if you ignore the mining bullshit it's a relaxing game. A New Beginning is also quite relaxing, but has a lot of things you can do. It's like a more focused Animal Crossing, with the option of romance.