Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

The original Guardians (in publishing terms) were created in 1969 (I hadn't realized they were that old), and looked like this:

I like the Valentino Guardians a lot, even if one of their worst (in every sense of the term) enemies was this guy:

Now, in fairness, Valentino's son named the character and he was later renamed "Overkill", but still... Taserface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why does Groot go from talkative to only saying "I am Groot" starting in Annihilation Conquest?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Because somebody in editorial thought it was loving hilarious and I guess everybody who's written it since agrees. Just one phrase! LOL that's so random!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Why does Groot go from talkative to only saying "I am Groot" starting in Annihilation Conquest?

He gets burned up and when he grew back that's all he could say.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
But at one point it was explained that because he is a tree his vocal cords are only able to produce those sounds. I think it was an issue with the Inhumans.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Soonmot posted:

But at one point it was explained that because he is a tree his vocal cords are only able to produce those sounds. I think it was an issue with the Inhumans.

Yeah, Maximus said that Groot's race gradually lost flexibility in their vocal cords as they aged, but considering that was Maximus who's main character trait is being cuckoo bananas crazy it was probably bullshit.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The story on Groot's planet in the recent anniversary issue was pretty ridiculous. Not good ridiculous.

Bully tree boy: "I AM GROOT! HAHAHA!"
Kid Groot: "I am *sob* Groot"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm reading the new Nightcrawler series and am learning new things. Who decided it was a good idea for him to be "lovers" with his adoptive sister??? (!)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uthor posted:

I'm reading the new Nightcrawler series and am learning new things. Who decided it was a good idea for him to be "lovers" with his adoptive sister??? (!)

You get one guess.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It's not a new development, let's put it that way.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Is it the guy writing the current series, explaining why it's not being aggressively ignored?

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

When exactly did SHIELD go from being a behind-the-scenes spy agency to public knowledge? Have people in the Marvel universe always been at least slightly aware that SHIELD existed even if they had no idea what they actually did?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Uthor posted:

Is it the guy writing the current series, explaining why it's not being aggressively ignored?

It was Chris Claremont the guy who defined Nightcrawler and made him a popular character.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

There was definitely a soft reboot and a series of deliberate long-term stories told from 2004 onwards in a way that had not previously been done.

As for Dreadstar, that was a creator-owned book by Jim Starlin that didn't take place in the Marvel Universe and (to my knowledge) never featured Thanos. There was a big square jawed beetle-browed bad guy named Lord Papal(who vaguely resembled Thanos and Mongul, who is also Starlin-designed) maybe you're thinking of him?

That might be it, I admit it's been a long time since I sat down and re-read it. I read a lot of Starlin stuff in fairly random order back in the mid-80s.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Dr. Hurt posted:

When exactly did SHIELD go from being a behind-the-scenes spy agency to public knowledge? Have people in the Marvel universe always been at least slightly aware that SHIELD existed even if they had no idea what they actually did?

I'm pretty sure SHIELD is known of at least as far back as Steranko's run.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

bobkatt013 posted:

It was Chris Claremont the guy who defined Nightcrawler and made him a popular character.

To be fair, Nightcrawler didn't know she was his sister at first.

To be less fair, Jimaine Szardos knew perfectly well he was her brother.

And to be entirely unfair, there's Nightcrawler's reaction to finding out he's been dating his sister:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alien Rope Burn posted:

And to be entirely unfair, there's Nightcrawler's reaction to finding out he's been dating his sister:

Colossus's reaction seems fairly appropriate, but in succeeding issues his dodgy relationship with Kitty starts to kick off.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I love her startling metamorphosis from Amanda Sefton in a hat to Amanda Sefton.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Ah so now I know what happened when Dr. Sam Beckett leaps into the Marvel Universe. I've waited so long for this! :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S4jLGR8c-0

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Karma Tornado posted:

I love her startling metamorphosis from Amanda Sefton in a hat to Amanda Sefton.
To be fair, that's a pretty impressive hat.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I dunno if this is the right thread for this but Comixology has become an incredibly lovely app since the last big update. Does anyone know of another comic store/reader for the iPad, preferably free or cheap?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

AXE COP posted:

I dunno if this is the right thread for this but Comixology has become an incredibly lovely app since the last big update. Does anyone know of another comic store/reader for the iPad, preferably free or cheap?

Ask here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611527

Short answer: depends on what you are looking for.

(Even shorter answer: don't ask about :filez: )

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Thanks.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I've been trying to remember a comic (it's possible it was a webcomic), maybe this will ring a bell with someone.

It was a series about some sort of imagination-y land. It may or may not have switched back and forth between that and the real world. I have a vague impression of a coach being robbed in the first issues, but that may not be true.

What I do remember was that the creator, who was, I think, a woman, was lauded as having neat ideas and a lot of talent, and then the second the comic was optioned for a movie (I think)she abandoned the series completely right in the middle.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Beachcomber posted:

I've been trying to remember a comic (it's possible it was a webcomic), maybe this will ring a bell with someone.

It was a series about some sort of imagination-y land. It may or may not have switched back and forth between that and the real world. I have a vague impression of a coach being robbed in the first issues, but that may not be true.

What I do remember was that the creator, who was, I think, a woman, was lauded as having neat ideas and a lot of talent, and then the second the comic was optioned for a movie (I think)she abandoned the series completely right in the middle.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Deavin Grayson's User?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Devin Grayson's User?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I recently read Magneto Testament (a book that left me somewhat disappointed and underwhelmed)and it got me wondering. I know Magneto's Jewishness has been mentioned and approached a few times in comics but has it ever come up in regards to Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well I don't think their mother was Jewish so they wouldn't be either.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

Well I don't think their mother was Jewish so they wouldn't be either.

True. But have they acknowledged that their father survived the Holocaust, or that they were raised by a Romany and Jewish Holocaust survivor.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Rhyno posted:

Deavin Grayson's User?

This might be it, but I don't think so. If I could find anything about it other than the most cursory information I could be sure.

For one, from what I could find it seems like this was a limited series from the start, rather than a project abandoned in the middle.

Secondly, I think the thing I'm trying to remember...the creator did both the art and the pictures.

Third, I don't remember a large blue guy like on the covers.

I'll try to find a copy. Maybe I'm misremembering and this is it after all.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Has there been any news on Nonplayer? Has the creator healed up from his accident?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is there a comprehensive Authority omnibus or just trades?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

zoux posted:

Is there a comprehensive Authority omnibus or just trades?
There is a Warren Ellis Authority hardcover with his full run, #1-12, and a Mark Millar hardcover with his full run, #13-29 (which I guess also includes the Tom Peyer fill-in arc in the middle).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

There is a Warren Ellis Authority hardcover with his full run, #1-12, and a Mark Millar hardcover with his full run, #13-29 (which I guess also includes the Tom Peyer fill-in arc in the middle).

There's a Morrison run after that right? They all good?

I got/read the Planetary omnibus this week so it's got me wanting more Wildstorm.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The Mark Millar run is peak Millar and should be avoided at all costs.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Morrison dropped out after only one or two issues. He was doing it concurrently with Batman and I think Final Crisis (edit: it was 52). They got Keith Giffen to finish the planned 12 issue run, and even had the gumption to call it The Lost Year.

That said I don't really remember it. Maybe I never read it? I know I read the Midnighter solo stuff and that was a little uneven in my eyes.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 7, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

zoux posted:

There's a Morrison run after that right? They all good?

I got/read the Planetary omnibus this week so it's got me wanting more Wildstorm.

Ellis' run is great, I give Millar a pass because of Frank Quietly art, nothing else is especially memorable. Read Ellis' stuff on Stormwatch beforehand if you want more Wildstorm, but it's not necessary to get Authority.

HitTheTargets posted:

That said I don't really remember it. Maybe I never read it? I know I read the Midnighter solo stuff and that was a little uneven in my eyes.

There's an arc built around him punching Hitler, then a bunch of one-shots by various creative teams (BKV's story told backwards in time is totally worth checking out), then a long and boring couple of arcs that I stopped reading where he tries to learn about his past.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I should say that Brubaker's Authority was straight up what got me back into comics, and I still really like it, but it somehow seems like such a generic superhero story. Yes, that's the run where they literally overthrow the American government, but it just lacks that cinematic quality that made Ellis' run so iconic and Quitely's run such a joy to look at when Millar wasn't writing dead baby jokes.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I forgot: read Sleeper!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Oh God yes, Brubaker's Sleeper was awesome, and my favorite of all his collaborations with Sean Phillips. I have the four older TPBs, but it has been reprinted in two thicker, nicer volumes: Sleeper Season One and Season Two. Make sure you also read Brubaker's prequel story, Point Blank, first.

On that note, you'll appreciate Point Blank and Sleeper even more if you read Alan Moore's mid-'90s WildC.A.T.s run first. Skip the older Homecoming and Gang War TPBs and get the more recent Alan Moore's Complete WildC.A.T.s TPB if you're truly interested, since that one includes his final story that was left out of the earlier Gang War TPB. It's very uneven, but the good stuff is surprisingly great, and it features some gorgeous Travis Charest art and a few fill-ins by Kevin Maguire and Jim Lee.

After that, Joe Casey worked wonders and miracles with his late '90s and early 2000s Wildcats run: Wildcats Volume 2 #8-28 (collected in the Vicious Circle, Serial Boxes, and Battery Park TPBs) and Wildcats 3.0 #1-24 (collected in Wildcats 3.0 Year One and Year Two TPBs; skip the earlier Brand Building and Full Disclosure TPBs that reprinted #1-6 and 7-12, which make up the later Year One edition). That was also one of my all-time favorite runs, and it includes great art by Sean Phillips and Dustin Nguyen. Also, Wildcats 3.0 always had gorgeous, eye-catching covers designed by Rian Hughes.