Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008
I'm going to try to change the subject. Did anyone else realise that the man talking to himself on the subway was the lawyer Maurice Levy from The Wire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Hoopy Frood posted:

I'm going to try to change the subject. Did anyone else realise that the man talking to himself on the subway was the lawyer Maurice Levy from The Wire?

I knew I recognized that guy!

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Clark Kent posted:

And the scene on the bus really highlighted what a hypocrite he is (at least in the past episode). I mean he just tried to rape a woman and now he is getting all self righteous about some guy spittiing on the bus. He also have to wonder, would he have done that if the spitter was white?

You think Louis CK is trying to tackle rape, and race in one episode? With 10 minutes of television? It had nothing to do with the color of the man.

Clark Kent
Feb 22, 2013

Super Deuce posted:

You think Louis CK is trying to tackle rape, and race in one episode? With 10 minutes of television? It had nothing to do with the color of the man.

I think it is possible he is taking on privalige.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think it's more the general him trying to be more assertive and failing idea than anything to do with the status of the other guy.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Bown posted:

I think it's more the general him trying to be more assertive and failing idea than anything to do with the status of the other guy.

This.

He also wants to look like an authority figure in front of his kids. His daughter looks shocked that another person told her dad to shut up.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Clark Kent posted:

I think it is possible he is taking on privalige.

He's not, and hahahaha.

Clark Kent
Feb 22, 2013

Breadallelogram posted:

He's not, and hahahaha.

i am not convinced. I think Louie does seem to be acting like the entitled white guy in that scene. To me there seemed to be some importance to the man's race there.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Clark Kent posted:

i am not convinced. I think Louie does seem to be acting like the entitled white guy in that scene. To me there seemed to be some importance to the man's race there.

Louie yelled at a (black) guy for spitting on the bus. Spitting on the bus is bad and Louie was right. If it was supposed to be about white privilege, why would he have written a scene where he (the white guy) was correct?

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
I agree that the scene was about Louie's self-righteousness in the wake of his recent bogus epiphanies, but that doesn't mean it wasn't also intentional that the guy was black. It's easier to be a prick at someone when they have less privilege than you do, which made the scene a touch more believable, and also a touch more of an indictment of Louie.

Why not just treat the text as text? Louie didn't bitch at an aracial humanoid mannequin, he bitched at a black guy. It plays into the scene whether or not it was the core of what the scene's about.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Louie the director has never exactly avoid portraying Louie the character as much less than perfect.

Clark Kent
Feb 22, 2013

Breadallelogram posted:

Louie yelled at a (black) guy for spitting on the bus. Spitting on the bus is bad and Louie was right. If it was supposed to be about white privilege, why would he have written a scene where he (the white guy) was correct?

Because in that instance he was not correct. It was a minor social transgression, something I think he would have given a white passenger a pass on. And Louie wouldn't let it drop, and kept riding the guy like he was a child. To me it felt like Louie was bolstered by his own position as a white male. I think I could be wrong, and i do acknowledge I don't know how to spell the word. However I feel like he made it a black guy for a reason.

Clark Kent
Feb 22, 2013

Space Hamlet posted:

I agree that the scene was about Louie's self-righteousness in the wake of his recent bogus epiphanies, but that doesn't mean it wasn't also intentional that the guy was black. It's easier to be a prick at someone when they have less privilege than you do, which made the scene a touch more believable, and also a touch more of an indictment of Louie.

Why not just treat the text as text? Louie didn't bitch at an aracial humanoid mannequin, he bitched at a black guy. It plays into the scene whether or not it was the core of what the scene's about.

That is all I am trying to say. I am not suggetsing it takes away from the other elements. Just that it is there and I have trouble ignoring it.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Maybe the black actor nailed the audition. :rolleyes:

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Kevyn posted:

Even if that's the case, and they'd just as soon have cast a white woman, it's still valid to read the character's race as a factor in the scene as it stands, and if the casting people and the producers of the episode weren't aware of that then they weren't doing their job.

Clark Kent
Feb 22, 2013

Kevyn posted:

That is possible, and whether or not they were specifically casting for a black actor, the guy who got the role clearly nailed his audition. But I still think the most likely explanation, given the overall theme of the episode, the obvious power dynamic in play where Louie seems to be kicking down the social ladder, only to get served, lead me to believe race was a factor in the scene.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

This thread is really funny.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
Yes, a fat old white ginger feels more at ease scolding a black man for spitting as opposed to a white guy. On the bus. In New York City. With his kids. Because of "privilege".

Could this thread get any dumber.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Spitting in general is gross, and spitting on a crowded piece of public property that a lot of people use is really gross!!!

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
The guy's race does matter and you're literally a moron if you can't understand why, but that guy gave a terrible explanation of it and it isn't about "privilege"

this really is the worst thread though

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Janet is black despite having white kids and being white in a flashback and the world just shrugs and moves on. Random dude on the bus is black and WHAT DOES THIS MEAN, IS LOUIE A RACIST AS WELL AS A RAPIST?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Louie is also the same person who directed/wrote Pootie Tang, and invented the jive language used in the movie.

Sometimes, stuff he does is just silly and has no deeper, ulterior motives.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
I feel like if you're going to put attempted rape in your show and, like, expect people to find a rationale for why that is acceptable on TV, to the character, etc, then you're gonna have to put up with people going ahead and just seriously over analysing a scene where a black man spits because that drawn line of what is and isn't okay to scrutinise into regional tonal syllabylic variance is really shaky and made of chalk and it rained.

I enjoy the show and I'd like to see how the rapey louie story-line will go down and the black man spitting thing was pretty funny, is how I feel about the situation.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Space Hamlet has a good point, I think. Obviously his race was a factor at least a little because everything about everything in a shot is planned to death, but I think it was more to add that undercurrent than any kind of more overt interpretation.

And trust me this is not the worst thread. The Adventure Time thread just spent ages fretting over whether the 15 year old boy and the lump monster actually had sex or not.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Bown posted:

The Adventure Time thread just spent ages fretting over whether the 15 year old boy and the lump monster actually had sex or not.

wat

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Space Hamlet posted:

First, the prick is the guy spitting on the bus. Second, privilege isn't going to protect you from getting your rear end kicked by the type of guy who spits on the bus.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Animal-Mother posted:

First, the prick is the guy spitting on the bus. Second, privilege isn't going to protect you from getting your rear end kicked by the type of guy who spits on the bus.

They can both be pricks of a different feather

No one is getting their rear end kicked on a crowded-rear end bus

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Hoopy Frood posted:

You know I thought I'd mentioned it. But I must have only thought I did. But I did indeed recognize them.

e: holy poo poo I did but it was pretty vague

Frostwerks posted:

Levy on vacay.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
In other news...

http://www.avclub.com/article/philip-seymour-hoffman-was-supposed-guest-star-lou-205509

He would've been really great on Louie. Such a shame.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Space Hamlet posted:

Counterpoint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKwwB9P_0PQ

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Space Hamlet posted:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bus+fight

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Bown posted:

And trust me this is not the worst thread. The Adventure Time thread just spent ages fretting over whether the 15 year old boy and the lump monster actually had sex or not.

Wait lets talk about this now

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."

bubblelubble posted:

In other news...

http://www.avclub.com/article/philip-seymour-hoffman-was-supposed-guest-star-lou-205509

Oh man, that would have been so freaking incredible

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Alright, okay. I guess I just don't feel like "um, Louie wouldn't feel safe yelling at a scary black man" is a very good counterpoint to "race is somewhat of a factor in the scene"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

Oh man, that would have been so freaking incredible

yeah. Renner is cool, but PSH was my favourite living actor. drat shame.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

bubblelubble posted:

In other news...

I desperately want to know what kind of performance PSH had lined up for this. He was so stoic and pensive (and amazing) in most of last roles- it would've been so fun to see him let loose like he used to in Twister/Punch Drunk Love/Boogie Nights.

Getting over his death was helped by trying *not* to think of all of the wonderful performances of his we'd never see. Knowing this was in the works is painful.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Space Hamlet posted:

Alright, okay. I guess I just don't feel like "um, Louie wouldn't feel safe yelling at a scary black man" is a very good counterpoint to "race is somewhat of a factor in the scene"

People who spit on the bus are either drunk, insane, on drugs, or have stopped giving a gently caress. You're the one making race the issue, not Louis.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Kevyn posted:

Janet is black despite having white kids and being white in a flashback and the world just shrugs and moves on. Random dude on the bus is black and WHAT DOES THIS MEAN, IS LOUIE A RACIST AS WELL AS A RAPIST?

He is a straight, white male, so probably yeah.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

am0kgonzo posted:

He is a straight, white male, so probably yeah.

When will they ever get a break?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I remember the episode in season one where Louie explains to the black woman on the subway how they should totally have sex because it would be like a win for civil rights and society can't stop them, and he like follows her home while explaining this to her, then she finally has to tell him off because it's a lot simpler, she's just not at all attracted to him

Then he has sex with a much fatter black woman

I thought that was funny.

I totally agree about CK getting up his own rear end, though. He's making stuff that seems to have a message and that demands to be interpreted and turned into a lesson rather than the wonderful S2 stuff that defies obvious interpretation and just is (like Eddie). It's like the difference between "Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy" and his best stand-up - he's trying to use his reach as a hammer rather than a mirror.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 7, 2014

• Locked thread