Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Treuan
Jun 30, 2011

Go have some COFFEE with CREAM or something! Because I'll tell you something! This is a happy place!
I myself would suggest Lupine. Or Ludmilla, I'm sure Necromantic is an equal opportunity employer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Minister Robathan posted:

This is a great name, but with your username I would've expected something a tad different.

I don't get it.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Pavlov posted:

I don't get it.

I believe it was expected that you would make a reference to Ivan Pavlov's dog experiments.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Yeah, I dunno, I might troll around the internet as a Russian psychologist, but it just doesn't seem "bloodbowl funny" enough.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

Pavlov posted:

Yeah, I dunno, I might troll around the internet as a Russian psychologist, but it just doesn't seem "bloodbowl funny" enough.

People are salivating for it!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Look at all of you, assuming we'll have enough of a team left to be able to afford to replace Hungrylike.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Even if both FGs and both Wights die, getting at least 1 wolf is more important than any other player.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
In the name of Great Russian experiments.
Why not Laika for the new WW. First dog to die in space.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Night10194 posted:

I'd be way more okay with the Dwarf player if he was just gleeful about being history's greatest monster instead of defending his choice of teams.

I agree, quite frankly he made the match boring as hell to watch, which is the worst part.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Yvonmukluk posted:

I agree, quite frankly he made the match boring as hell to watch, which is the worst part.

Which is the OTHER problem with dwarves. They never switch sides or run catchers through. It's always the exact same game.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Veloxyll posted:

Which is the OTHER problem with dwarves. They never switch sides or run catchers through. It's always the exact same game.

But CongoJack literally ran receivers through! Dwarves are boring as all hell, but these attacks on CJ are really unfair.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

But CongoJack literally ran receivers through! Dwarves are boring as all hell, but these attacks on CJ are really unfair.

He plays Dwarves. He deserves everything he gets.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

It was still a boring match, which is his own drat fault. :colbert:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Well, my quest to maybe get a more interesting team together for a fun match just got set back again, as my latest team (High Elves) just got retired after playing against Goblins. Two deaths, one casualty with long-term implications, and still a third of the match to go. I abandoned and deleted the team after that. Some day I might manage to get a team together that doesn't fall apart after their third match. Four teams and counting so far.

EDIT: Matches: 7. Casualties Sustained: 19. Killed: 5. CAS/Dead ratio: 26.32%. Average CAS/Dead ratio: 11.76%. Blood Bowl!

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 7, 2014

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
Try Dwarves :v:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TheMcD posted:

Well, my quest to maybe get a more interesting team together for a fun match just got set back again, as my latest team (High Elves) just got retired after playing against Goblins. Two deaths, one casualty with long-term implications, and still a third of the match to go. I abandoned and deleted the team after that. Some day I might manage to get a team together that doesn't fall apart after their third match. Four teams and counting so far.
Do you feel you're learning, though?

Also, let's take bets for how many players are on the pitch by the end of this match. I'm going 6 for GNU.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

jBrereton posted:

Do you feel you're learning, though?

Yeah, I'm starting to figure some things out, the big problem I had was that for some loving reason, the last two games I got into had a 40 second turn time as opposed to the regular 2 minutes, which seriously threw me off. Less time to think on my first Elf team caused me to make some stupid mistakes I wouldn't have made if I had more time to think.

I'll go back to Undead again, this time try to actually protect my Ghouls and see where that leads me.

I'm also feeling that the dice have been screwing me - which of course has to happen to some people just by the way statistics work. I had some good games, but casualties, even on rather strong teams, have been nailing me pretty hard. If I just keep at it, I should be able to get something together.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

TheMcD posted:

Yeah, I'm starting to figure some things out, the big problem I had was that for some loving reason, the last two games I got into had a 40 second turn time as opposed to the regular 2 minutes, which seriously threw me off. Less time to think on my first Elf team caused me to make some stupid mistakes I wouldn't have made if I had more time to think.

When you go into matchmaching and select the team/s you want to play with, there are 2 selections for minimum and maximum turn durations. You can go 40 seconds, 2 and 4 minutes, I think.

Send me a challenge and we can be horrible against each other. Coach name same as forums name (without space). I don't guarantee you'll learn anything, but at least I wont quit until I'm down to 3 players.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Fat Samurai posted:

When you go into matchmaching and select the team/s you want to play with, there are 2 selections for minimum and maximum turn durations. You can go 40 seconds, 2 and 4 minutes, I think.

Send me a challenge and we can be horrible against each other. Coach name same as forums name (without space). I don't guarantee you'll learn anything, but at least I wont quit until I'm down to 3 players.

Which league? The goon one?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

TheMcD posted:

Which league? The goon one?

Auld and Goon. I have't tried the challenge system, so no idea how does it work.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
If you're both online you just click the team you want to challenge and punch the button. Most people play with 4 minute turns because sometimes you need to think about what you're gonna do for a bit.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

TheMcD posted:

40 second turn time

On this matchmaking screen before you go to play, set your minimum and maximum turn times to 4 minutes for all your teams.

This being Cyanide, the fact that this option exists is not hinted at in the UI at all, and it only pops up after you click on a team.

e- Second half will go up today, sorry about the longer wait

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Fat Samurai posted:

Correct! One thing to keep in mind with how cyanide is set up is that this particular setting is set per team, so you have to set it every time you make a team.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I prefer 2 minutes to 4. 4 minutes means you get tons of really achingly slow players in your matches. They're not even any tactically sharper, just more torpid.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
4 min is better. No rush and just press turn when you are done. Something like setting up tricky crowds and chain pushes demands a little bit more time.
I just remembered that there are worse things out there then Dwarf coaches by the way. Amazon coaches and claw, mb, piling on chaos coaches. Both hose teams make dwarfs look like slightly bigger halflings.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Amazons at least have the dignity of dying a lot.
4 minute turns main risk is to find that rare person that enjoys spending the first 2 minutes planning out his turns and then the last 2 maybe actually doing them.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

2 minutes is plenty of time to finish your turn unless you're a horrible slow player.

Unfortunately cyanide (and the IRC :argh:) is full of these so 4 minutes is standard among goons.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I like 4 minutes because I'm usually doing something else while playing, so I don't mind waiting, but I can deal with 2 minutes easily. 40 seconds is "oh god what the gently caress" level, though.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

MRLOLAST posted:

4 min is better. No rush and just press turn when you are done. Something like setting up tricky crowds and chain pushes demands a little bit more time.
I just remembered that there are worse things out there then Dwarf coaches by the way. Amazon coaches and claw, mb, piling on chaos coaches. Both hose teams make dwarfs look like slightly bigger halflings.

I mean I get the claw pomb Chaos but Amazons? I mean I guess it's frustrating when it's hard to punch the other team and certainly amazons are hard to punch, especially at low-mid TVs, but when you do punch them they're pretty easy to hurt.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

MRLOLAST posted:

You just don't have a proper appreciation for rowdy dogs whirling their shirts around their heads before murdering half/all of your team.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

MRLOLAST posted:

Get good at geometry.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Agent355 posted:

2 minutes is plenty of time to finish your turn unless you're a horrible slow player.

Unfortunately cyanide (and the IRC :argh:) is full of these so 4 minutes is standard among goons.

Some turns just take longer. I like 4 minutes 99% oif the time since most turns don't take more than a minute or two but it's nice to have that extra time when you need it.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

jBrereton posted:

Get good at geometry.

I am pretty good at this game :) Just don't like the interface so much for cyanide so I take my time because the pathing is LOL.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

uPen posted:

Some turns just take longer. I like 4 minutes 99% oif the time since most turns don't take more than a minute or two but it's nice to have that extra time when you need it.

Personally I would rather give up that 1% of turns that would take longer than 2 minutes if it means I never had to wait more than 2 minutes for the other guy decide how he's going to throw his one block.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Eh there's only a handful of goons that I would call slow players so 4 minutes is fine there. If you're playing in a public league sure it's nice to have the insurance.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

As somebody who has done an LP of this game, more than 50% of the people I played were ridiculously slow.

Though more than one of them told me that was only because they wanted to do well for the LP, so take it as you will.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Two minute turns are my favorite. I can usually hammer out a turn in about a minute and a half if I know my team well enough.

I also prefer that my games take 45 minutes instead of like two hours.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, so after playing two games with Fat Samurai (one being one where he immediately conceded because he accidentally picked his Dwarfs, which I was quite grateful for, and one being a competitive draw against Dark Elves where I had some terrible bad luck to start with) and playing one more game online against a new Chaos team, I've now got an Undead team with 1250 TV ready to play for the LP, so if Fairly Elected's TV is in that area, I could go. I'll make sure to keep that one around so I always have one.

Also, here's a shot from the game against Chaos:

It went quite well. Surprisingly so, considering the run of luck I've been having.

I've already got four Ghouls and will be playing them all, so I hope I can have some fun with faster paced plays.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

MRLOLAST posted:

I am pretty good at this game :) Just don't like the interface so much for cyanide so I take my time because the pathing is LOL.

It just amazes me that in all of the new versions of the game cyanide sold, not one of the devs ever decided that spaces needing die rolls to reach should be visually flagged just like gfi's are when moving. It's not exactly the worlds most intensive game, so it's not like a less efficient path finding algorithm(probably necessary to decide which squares to color red or what have you) would kill them anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

FoolyCharged posted:

It just amazes me that in all of the new versions of the game cyanide sold, not one of the devs ever decided that spaces needing die rolls to reach should be visually flagged just like gfi's are when moving. It's not exactly the worlds most intensive game, so it's not like a less efficient path finding algorithm(probably necessary to decide which squares to color red or what have you) would kill them anyways.

well Cyanide is literally like three people so I can understand them not changing a whole lot from version to version.

• Locked thread