Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Israeli prisoner swaps (the ones with terrorists, not actual postwar POW trades) are a sore point with a lot of Jews, including how much American arm-twisting is involved to push them through. Shalit's kidnapping itself shows the consequences of these devils' deals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax
oh right nothing is ever the fault of the jews

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

maffew buildings posted:

One of the officers was Dick Meadows who is probably in the running for toughest s.o.b. of the 20th century. http://www.amazon.com/The-Quiet-Professional-American-Warriors/dp/0813133998. Great book, the man was quite remarkable.

Yeah he was, and I agree that is a great book, I bought it for my dad when it first came out. My Grandpa's brother was in SF from 1952 through 1977 and knew him pretty well, they were NCO's together before he got commissioned. My Great Uncle Bob tried to become an officer himself and went to OCS 3 times but got kicked out each time for being a smart rear end. I ended up knowing my Uncle Bob better than my Grandpa because my Grandpa died when I was 5. He knew most of the SF legends from the early years and Vietnam era, Bull Simons was his CO a few years previous to the Son Tay Raid. I was just a kid when my dad was in 7th Group and him and my Uncle Bob took me to the SF museum that was on FT. Bragg (I think it's offpost now as the Special Ops and Airborne Museum) and my Uncle Bob was basically like a tour guide and had tons and tons of background information about every exhibit. Robert Howard, Bull Simons and Dick Meadows have been longtime heroes of mine because of that trip with my Uncle Bob.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

Mustang posted:

Yeah he was, and I agree that is a great book, I bought it for my dad when it first came out. My Grandpa's brother was in SF from 1952 through 1977 and knew him pretty well, they were NCO's together before he got commissioned. My Great Uncle Bob tried to become an officer himself and went to OCS 3 times but got kicked out each time for being a smart rear end. I ended up knowing my Uncle Bob better than my Grandpa because my Grandpa died when I was 5. He knew most of the SF legends from the early years and Vietnam era, Bull Simons was his CO a few years previous to the Son Tay Raid. I was just a kid when my dad was in 7th Group and him and my Uncle Bob took me to the SF museum that was on FT. Bragg (I think it's offpost now as the Special Ops and Airborne Museum) and my Uncle Bob was basically like a tour guide and had tons and tons of background information about every exhibit. Robert Howard, Bull Simons and Dick Meadows have been longtime heroes of mine because of that trip with my Uncle Bob.

you must be such a disappointment to your family

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Also I remain baffled why you can't see the large-picture difference between a commando raid to free POWs, even if it costs additional lives, and releasing important prisoners who likely cost American lives to capture.

Any utility those guys had as a source of intelligence 12 years ago has long expired. So what was the purpose of holding on to them if not as a negotiation tool? I don't buy the argument that they're "highly dangerous," because in addition to being mercilessly tracked by our intelligence apparatus, they'll probably get droned the moment they return to Talibaning. Should we have asked for more? Probably, but Republicans' attempts to make this another Benghazi are laughable.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Haha, no kidding, I do have some really, really big boots to fill

I'm still young though!....:(

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

psydude posted:

Any utility those guys had as a source of intelligence 12 years ago has long expired. So what was the purpose of holding on to them if not as a negotiation tool? I don't buy the argument that they're "highly dangerous," because in addition to being mercilessly tracked by our intelligence apparatus, they'll probably get droned the moment they return to Talibaning. Should we have asked for more? Probably, but Republicans' attempts to make this another Benghazi are laughable.

The utility is as a deterrent against anyone who wants to step up as a replacement. If you are 'highly dangerous' and we get you, you never see the light of day as a free man again. The exact same reason we keep domestic criminals in jail so drat long.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Snowdens Secret posted:

The utility is as a deterrent against anyone who wants to step up as a replacement. If you are 'highly dangerous' and we get you, you never see the light of day as a free man again. The exact same reason we keep domestic criminals in jail so drat long.

No, the actual stated purpose of prisons in the United States is to rehabilitate the prisoners. In practice, this almost never happens because many Americans like their prisons to be torture facilities for inmates, but it's the core goal of other modern nations' prison systems.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

No, the actual stated purpose of prisons in the United States is to rehabilitate the prisoners. In practice, this almost never happens because many Americans like their prisons to be torture facilities for inmates, but it's the core goal of other modern nations' prison systems.

The purpose of Gitmo is not rehabilitation. It's a place that we wring people for information and then throw them in a cell and forget about them.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

It's also a perfectly valid question why we didn't at least demand a package deal
I imagine the main reason is that all those different prisoners are held by different militant groups who aren't a part of a single entity to be negotiated with.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Shalit's kidnapping itself shows the consequences of these devils' deals.
On the other hand, one could say that being willing to make a deal encourages militant groups to treat American prisoners well in hopes of seeing their bros again rather than going the YouTube beheading video route.

The possibility of released detainees returning to the fight has been a consideration for the whole history of warfare, but in this case I think the immediate, real good of bringing one of our own home outweighs the potential harm of releasing enemy prisoners.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

These guys have been out of the loop for ~10 years, they're not going to be a clear and present danger to US interests. The Qataris are holding onto them for another year and I believe it was also stated they'd be living in Qatar with their families. Even though I think Bergdahl is a piece of poo poo, I think we did the right thing by securing his release even if it means giving up a few taliban.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I'm not for or against the prisoner exchange at this point but I do love the codification that five skilled commanders are worth one shitbag American junior enlisted.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Mustang posted:

My grandpa took some Nazi memorabilia when he was in 3rd ID and my dad went to Nam to kill Charlie and came back and became a hippy. Can we trade relatives? If you like Italian stuff and alcoholism you'll be getting a sweet deal

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Maybe we gave one of them the Theon Greyjoy treatment and he's going to do stuff for us now.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Also very unlikely any of their buddies will trust them now. Like a reverse Manchurian candidate.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Best Friends posted:

I'm not for or against the prisoner exchange at this point but I do love the codification that five skilled commanders are worth one shitbag American junior enlisted.

I don't think there's any question the administration just pulled off a huge political coup by tricking the republicans into complaining about getting an American retrieved from captivity.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Dantu posted:

Maybe we gave one of them the Theon Greyjoy treatment and he's going to do stuff for us now.

Looking at the stuff leaking from that paragon of unbiased truth Fox, it looks more like Berghdal is the one with a pretty hefty dose of stockholm syndrome.

quote:

I don't think there's any question the administration just pulled off a huge political coup by tricking the republicans into complaining about getting an American retrieved from captivity.

I'm sure Team Hillary is frenetically taping potential repub candidates for the inevitable 'X wanted to leave a man behind. X weak on defence.' attack adds.

Courthouse fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 6, 2014

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Godholio posted:

True. Barack Obama walks on water. He definitely didn't gently caress up.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

True. Barack Obama walks on water. He definitely didn't gently caress up.

Compared to Bergdahl getting to make his own Danny Pearl video? Five dried-up Taliban cunts for one idiot in uniform is a steal.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Zeroisanumber posted:

Compared to Bergdahl getting to make his own Danny Pearl video? Five dried-up Taliban cunts for one idiot in uniform is a steal.

I don't agree or disagree. Its just funny that people try and spin this like Obama is puppetmastering everyone.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

Mustang posted:

Haha, no kidding, I do have some really, really big boots to fill

I'm still young though!....:(

If you need some advice you should hit up N4I, he knows a lot about filling up boots. :cumpolice:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

RichieHimself posted:

If you need some advice you should hit up N4I, he knows a lot about filling up boots. :cumpolice:

:vince:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I thought he had more experience getting mud out of boots.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

I thought he had more experience getting mud out of boots.

ew :barf:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I think its kind of cool how all these republicans are mad we got a pow back, regardless of how it was done or what his faults may have been.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

ded posted:

I think its kind of cool how all these republicans are mad we got a pow back, regardless of how it was done or what his faults may have been.

What's more amusing is all the videos and tweets from a few months ago of them all screaming over how Obama was doing nothing to get war hero Berghdal home.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

The Guardian posted:

An 89-year-old second world war veteran reported missing from a nursing home has been found in France, marking the anniversary of the D-day landings.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/06/veteran-brendan-jordan-escape-care-home-d-day-france

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Dude fuckin owns

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

Dude fuckin owns

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

Dude fuckin owns

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

Dude-fuckin owns

:gay:

you and n4i should hook up, you could wear your roller skates

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

Dude fuckin owns

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

Dude fuckin owns

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
Kinda hosed up you'd keep him out of a D-Day reunion.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

Dude fuckin owns

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

Dude fuckin owns

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Pakistan's largest airport was attacked by militant forces, at least 18 are dead.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/08/karachi-airport-under-attack-by-militants-live-updates

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2014/06/02/chinese-general-says-u-s-foreign-policy-has-erectile-dysfunction-problems/

quote:

A Chinese general used a regional security conference this weekend to tell a global audience that U.S. rhetoric about the South China Sea risks provoking Beijing. For the Chinese language audience, the general used language saltier — and perhaps more provocative — words to describe how he feels about U.S. power.

Maj. Gen Zhu Chenghu, a professor at the National Defense University, made the remarks in an interview with Chinese-language Phoenix TV at the Shangri-La Dialogue in Singapore Saturday.

He suggested that if China came to blows with any of its neighbors, the U.S. might not be a reliable ally. “As U.S. power declines, Washington needs to rely on its allies in order to reach its goal of containing China’s development,” he told the TV station. “But whether it will get involved or use military intervention once there is a territorial dispute involving China and its neighbors, that is another issue,” he added.

He said that this depended on the U.S. ability to project power, citing Ukraine as an example.

He said, “we can see from the situation in Ukraine this kind of ED” –which he explained in Chinese was a military abbreviation for something that may have meant “extended deployment” – “has become the male type of ED problem – erectile dysfunction.”

Also from Lieutenant General Wang Guanzhong, PLA deputy chief of general staff: (this one's a bit drier)
http://www.iiss.org/en/events/shangri%20la%20dialogue/archive/2014-c20c/plenary-4-a239/wang-guanzhong-2e5e

quote:

I feel that the speeches of Mr. Abe and Mr. Hagel have been pre-coordinated. They supported and encouraged each other in provoking and challenging China, taking advantage of being the first to speak at the Dialogue. The focus of Mr. Abe’s speech was on China, although he did not name China openly. No matter whether he named China or not and how he tried to whitewash his speech, I believe the entire audience understood that he was targeting China. Mr. Hagel also focused his remarks on China and the entire audience could feel it. Mr. Abe, overtly or covertly, explicitly or implicitly and directly or indirectly condemned China. Mr. Hagel was more frank and straightforward when he made unwanted accusations against China.

As for their different approaches and attitude, I would say I prefer those of Mr. Hagel. If you have something to say, say it directly. As an invited government leader, Mr. Abe is supposed to promote peace and security of the Asia-Pacific region with his constructive ideas in line with the principles of the Shangri-la Dialogue. Instead, in violation of those principles, he was trying to stir up disputes and trouble. I do not think this is acceptable or in agreement with the spirit of the Dialogue. Mr. Hagel was more outspoken than I expected. And I personally believe that his speech is a speech with tastes of hegemony, a speech with expressions of coercion and intimidation, a speech with flaring rhetoric that usher destabilizing factors into the Asia-Pacific to stir up trouble, and a speech with unconstructive attitude.

Therefore, one can judge from the two speeches, as well as Mr. Abe and Mr. Hagel’s deeds: who is really stirring up trouble and tension in the region and who is initiating disputes and spat? China has never initiated disputes over territorial sovereignty and the delimitation of maritime boundary. China only takes countermeasures against others’ provocation. Moreover, China has never initiated provocations on any bilateral or multilateral occasions or at the Shangri-La Dialogue. Who has initiated the ongoing debate? This is well-known to all. Second, from the speeches of Mr. Abe and Mr. Hagel, we know who is really assertive. Assertiveness has come from the joint actions of the United States and Japan, not China.

Such additional comments are simply my passive, reactive and minimum response. Now I will come back to my prepared speech.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

In case anyone is curious, this Pakistan-protected terrorist has figured out who's REALLY behind the attacks at the airport:

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Whip Slagcheek posted:

In case anyone is curious, this Pakistan-protected terrorist has figured out who's REALLY behind the attacks at the airport:

:allears:

Pakistan is such a worthless country.

Like if India wanted to glass it all and I was President, I'd tell them not only should they do it but I'd toss in a couple of B83s to help out just for funsies.

• Locked thread