Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

thathonkey posted:

Hate to break it to y'all but my donation created the Oberyn character and GRRM even let me pick his exact grisly death for an extra 5k.

I think GRRM's giving more than just broad strokes to the screen writers. Else the show and books would diverge way too heavily down the line.

Vehementi fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Vehementi posted:

I think GRRM's giving more than just broad strokes to the screen writers. Else the show and books would diverge way too heavily down the line.

They already have in a lot of plotlines.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
We should donate the money to get our own fizfashizzle on the show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pablo got cast as one of the leads in Neflix's new drug war series so that's good :unsmith:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

Pablo got cast as one of the leads in Neflix's new drug war series so that's good :unsmith:
I want to see him in space, or swashbucklin' it up elsewhere. He could do an awesome Han Solo-like character.

Preferably in something PG-13 so we're absolutely sure he won't have a death like that again :(

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Vehementi posted:

He gave them broad strokes, and then apparently before this season started shooting they sat him down in a room and started asking specifically "and where is this going?" for each and every plotline, so they'd know what was important, what could be cut, and what they should start working on adapting.

I can't find the interview where they say that any more, but I totally did read it okay

e: Found it!

quote:

“The lucky part is that George works with us and he’s a producer on the show,” Benioff says. “Last year we went out to Santa Fe for a week to sit down with him and just talk through where things are going, because we don’t know if we are going to catch up and where exactly that would be. If you know the ending, then you can lay the groundwork for it. And so we want to know how everything ends. We want to be able to set things up. So we just sat down with him and literally went through every character.”

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 6, 2014

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Doltos posted:

Really if you go on the internet at all chances are you're going to be spoiled, usually in some place that has nothing to do with what you're getting spoiled with too.

Like I found out Snape kills Dumbledore from a random signature on the WoW forum. I found out Ned loses his head from a random troll on Reddit who was replying to a topic about a cat fighting a turtle. I found out the ending of Breaking Bad from a random image on imgur.

Nobody watched season 1 live who also didn't read the books, so you're incorrect that you got spoiled. Why would you lie about being spoiled?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

anne frank fanfic posted:

Nobody watched season 1 live who also didn't read the books

Huh? I have been watching the show live since e01 and never read more than 20 pages of the books.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Nobody watched season 1 live who also didn't read the books, so you're incorrect that you got spoiled. Why would you lie about being spoiled?

Yeah this is pretty wrong I know many people who started reading the books after watching season 1. In fact personally I don't think I knew anyone who had read them before season 1.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Nearly all my friends had no idea what this was or read the books and all started on episode 1. It's a new HBO show, don't ignore what that means.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

thathonkey posted:

Hate to break it to y'all but my donation created the Oberyn character and GRRM even let me pick his exact grisly death for an extra 5k.

Joffrey? Is that you?

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Myself and the people I know who started watching day one started because it's an immense marquee HBO show. I wonder how few people would legit even know GRRMs name had HBO not done this.

thecolorpurple
Feb 6, 2013
Yeah until the show the only people who ever mentioned ASOIAF before the show to me were on forums, and much worse forums than SA for that matter.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

I will do this and tell GRRM my name is Barack Obama

A foreign usurper from Kinaya in the Summer Isles, Baricko B'a ma.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Frostwerks posted:

Whose true name is Baron So'thero, a secret worshipper and disciple of the darkness

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Frostwerks posted:

He tries to give the peasants access to meisters, but is strung up by an angry mob that were convinced he was the source of all their problems instead.

Cingulate posted:

I want to see him in space, or swashbucklin' it up elsewhere. He could do an awesome Han Solo-like character.

Preferably in something PG-13 so we're absolutely sure he won't have a death like that again :(

I'm telling you, Dr. Strange. They haven't cast it yet, and you could not do better.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 7, 2014

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I haven't been able to watch this episode until now as my cable's been out all week. I know I'm way late but RIP Oberyn, you were just too drat handsome for this world. Also probably RIP Tyrion. I'm pretty sad to be losing the only two characters I still really like :(

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

Frostwerks posted:

GRRM doesn't end up killing him, just has all other characters constantly ask for proof of his birthright.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Where's your house's ancestral Valyrian sword, B'ama?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

sforzacio posted:

GRRM doesn't end up killing him, just has all other characters constantly ask for proof of his birthright.

It's a miracle Baricko B'a ma wasn't already killed yet, come to think of it.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I talk poo poo about the guy all the time but to his credit it does seem that he doesn't have a shitload of characters with apostrophes and dashes in their names so that counts for something.

E: Gurm I mean.

Frostwerks fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 7, 2014

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Launches dragon attacks against the Brotherhood without banners. Surprisingly, people are perfectly fine with this.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

I will do this and tell GRRM my name is Barack Obama

Ser Berrect of Vemma.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Frostwerks posted:

Launches dragon attacks against the Brotherhood without banners. Surprisingly, people are perfectly fine with this.

The westerosi sheeple are too occupied with waterdancing with the stars or 16 and pregnant (with a shadowbaby) to care about B'amas pervasive spy network

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'm telling you, Dr. Strange. They haven't cast it yet, and you could not do better.

He's already got his next role on lock. It's not Dr. Strange (I agree, that'd kick rear end), but I'm interested.

C-Euro posted:

Also probably RIP Tyrion. I'm pretty sad to be losing the only two characters I still really like :(

They aren't killing the guy who's had top billing for this long.

bob holness paradox
Aug 22, 2009

ceci n'est pas un presentateur

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Yes, if there's one thing that this programme being adapted from 15 year old books has, it's an aversion to killing important or well-liked characters.

If Tyrion doesn't die the popularity of the character will have had absolutely nothing to do with it.

thecolorpurple
Feb 6, 2013
Reminder to all you showwatchers who think the Dink has plot armour this book was written in 2000 and book Tyrion was a much more unpleasant character.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Yeah I almost think Tyrion is too delightful. The way they had Sansa and Shae speak of him at their respective recent trials (and how the general public reacts to him) was as if he was significantly more repugnant than he is. You're supposed to accept that even the nobles think of "the Imp" with revulsion, but it feels really disjointed, because Tyrion loving rules.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

thecolorpurple posted:

Reminder to all you showwatchers who think the Dink has plot armour this book was written in 2000 and book Tyrion was a much more unpleasant character.

Yeah, but this is Game of Thrones. Being unpleasant only strengthens plot armor. The more unpleasant you are, the more powerful you become.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bobo the Red posted:

Yeah I almost think Tyrion is too delightful. The way they had Sansa and Shae speak of him at their respective recent trials (and how the general public reacts to him) was as if he was significantly more repugnant than he is. You're supposed to accept that even the nobles think of "the Imp" with revulsion, but it feels really disjointed, because Tyrion loving rules.

I think the general ignorance and dislike people in that universe have towards dwarves/anyone different, as well as the fact that Tyrion often refuses to play by everyone else's rules and etiquette, gives people enough excuse to assume the worst of him.

The rich hate him for not reflecting and conforming to their oval office lifestyles, and the poor hate him because they're uneducated enough to believe that he's monstrous based on rumour and reputation alone. His actual personality doesn't come into it.

It's not like he's that different in the books. He's basically a lot more deformed and sometimes swaps charm for bitterness. A lot of his dialogue is word for word though (moreso than most characters anyway).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Sean Bean had top billing all of season 1 and was a name people recognized, and he didn't even last an entire season. I would love for Tyrion to stay in the show because he's consistently been one of the best characters, but I don't think Dinklage having top billing will save him. Especially considering we're still in book territory that was set up before the show took off, like others have said.

VV He lived in Percy Jackson & The Olympians! The first one, at least.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 7, 2014

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yes, but Sean Bean. He is typecast as the guy who dies.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Bobo the Red posted:

Their revulsion has nothing to do with his personality and everything to do with his deformity.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

My wife watched them and hadn't read the books. She will still randomly mourn Ned to this day.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, but this is Game of Thrones. Being unpleasant only strengthens plot armor. The more unpleasant you are, the more powerful you become.

Yeah, that Joffrey douchebag ain't gonna die anytime soon.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

rydiafan posted:

Their revulsion has nothing to do with his personality and everything to do with his deformity.

I was about to say this... I think people really underestimate how such a condition was viewed in most of humanity's history. There is a reason why children were usually killed if they were deformed and those that weren't were viewed as punishment by the god('s) or believed to be daemons (literally).
Without his family name he wouldn't even be considered a full human being (and in some way it is interesting that Tywin didn't just kill him directly after his birth, by middle age standards that's extremly humane).

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Yeah, that Joffrey douchebag ain't gonna die anytime soon.

Well it certainly took long enough.

Unrelated but I wish they'd just have cut Daenyrys entire story from the show. It is boring as poo poo and completely separate from the rest of the action (with no end in sight). At least the White Walkers non-role in the story thus far has been limited to like 3 teaser scenes where we are reminded that they exist and are ostensibly a threat to everyone else in the world.

The HBO adaptation should have just been focused on the events of Westeros power struggle. Could have much better pacing, be less muddled, and have more time to explore that part of the world and build up those characters. Instead we just get half-assed versions of all the many, many, many, MANY story lines. They might be just as half-assed in the books for all I know (some of the more critical readers have suggested as much).

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 7, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Boy will your face be red when Dany arrives in Westeros in season 5 6 7.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

thathonkey posted:

Well it certainly took long enough.

Unrelated but I wish they'd just have cut Daenyrys entire story from the show. It is boring as poo poo and completely separate from the rest of the action (with no end in sight). At least the White Walkers non-role in the story thus far has been limited to like 3 teaser scenes where we are reminded that they exist and are ostensibly a threat to everyone else in the world.

The HBO adaptation should have just been focused on the events of Westeros power struggle. Could have much better pacing, be less muddled, and have more time to explore that part of the world and build up those characters. Instead we just get half-assed versions of all the many, many, many, MANY story lines. They might be just as half-assed in the books for all I know (some of the more critical readers have suggested as much).

So you'd be in favour of cutting Dany, Jon, Bran, Arya and pretty much everyone other than the dead Starks, the Lannisters, the Baratheons and the Greyjoys? That would have been shite, sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

So you'd be in favour of cutting Dany, Jon, Bran, Arya and pretty much everyone other than the dead Starks, the Lannisters, the Baratheons and the Greyjoys? That would have been shite, sir.

No sorry just meant Dany and the Wildlings, really. Actually Jon's parts are all pretty boring too. So are Bran's. But if they cut out the whole Dany part maybe they could have spent more time on Jon/Bran and made their scenes more interesting (I think the characters are fine as is, but the way they're used on the show is quite tedious). White Walkers can stay I guess as the overall background threat against Westeros that presumably will become a factor at some point maybe if GRRM doesn't die.

Irish Joe posted:

Boy will your face be red when Dany arrives in Westeros in season 5 6 7.

Yeah I keep hoping that it will all be worth it at some point in the next like 3 years. It would be loving hilarious if she dies at sea somehow on the way to Westeros. That would be entirely fitting with how the story is completely cool with killing off its best characters just for a shocking/impactful scene which are becoming increasingly trite.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 7, 2014

• Locked thread