Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
No matter how much you may personally dislike her storyline, Dany is pretty popular with quite a few people and is an iconic part of the show. Cutting her would've been very silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

thathonkey posted:

killing off its best characters just for a shocking/impactful scene which are becoming increasingly trite.

This too, is wrong.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

bob holness paradox posted:

Yes, if there's one thing that this programme being adapted from 15 year old books has, it's an aversion to killing important or well-liked characters.

If Tyrion doesn't die the popularity of the character will have had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I don't think it will either, because I doubt Tyrion died in the books at this point. There's plenty of reasons to expect his escape.

That said, I think the showrunners wouldn't mind splitting from the book if it meant letting Tyrion live. From all the complaints about missing one-off, made-to-order characters, I'm sure there's a hundred people you could get rid of and just put Dinklage in their place for the sake of more Dinklage. Wouldn't be the first time they simply had one character take over for another instead of killing or disappearing them like what was supposed to happen. So even if someone's come to the conclusion that GRRM is done with Tyrion, I wouldn't be shocked if the show runners kept him in.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 7, 2014

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I don't think it will either, because I doubt Tyrion died in the books at this point. There's plenty of reasons to expect his escape.

That said, I think the showrunners wouldn't mind splitting from the book if it meant letting Tyrion live. From all the complaints about missing one-off, made-to-order characters, I'm sure there's a hundred people you could get rid of and just put Dinklage in their place for the sake of more Dinklage. Wouldn't be the first time they simply had one character take over for another instead of killing or disappearing them like what was supposed to happen. So even if someone's come to the conclusion that GRRM is done with Tyrion, I wouldn't be shocked if the show runners kept him in.

Yeah they'll just have dinklage play the mountain in season five

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

niethan posted:

Yeah they'll just have dinklage play the mountain in season five

Tyrion axes him in the head during his escape. You keep what you kill.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing

Industrial posted:

She will still randomly mourn Ned to this day.

I've been thinking about Oberyn all week. When Robb died that really got me down for a while. I watched him tell off Edmure for being an idiot earlier and it made me feel better :unsmith:

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

If I was your size, I'd be king of the loving world.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Kasonic posted:

I've been thinking about Oberyn all week. When Robb died that really got me down for a while. I watched him tell off Edmure for being an idiot earlier and it made me feel better :unsmith:

It took me a good day and a half to stop hearing him screaming and seeing the mountains fingers in his eye sockets. gently caress.

On Terra Firma fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 7, 2014

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

On Terra Firma posted:

It took me a good day and a half to stop hearing him screaming and seeing the mountains fingers in his eye sockets. gently caress.

It's rolled around the old noggin enough that I'm getting, "Wow, it's only been a week?" vibes about next episode.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Accretionist posted:

It's rolled around the old noggin enough that I'm getting, "Wow, it's only been a week?" vibes about next episode.

My wife once asked me why they split book 3 into two seasons. After watching Oberyn, she understood. Try to imagine the emotional impact of Dracarys and Mormont and Red Wedding and Joffrey and Oberyn and tyrion trial all in one season.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Accretionist posted:

And that's why I'll continue to defend the extreme gore as legitimately used for dramatic impact. It had to be awful and horrifying. If the Mountain merely cleaved his head off with a sword or something, it wouldn't have really resonated the same way.

ED: In retrospect the really long tracking shot of the aftermath was more than a cool shot too. After watching reaction videos I bet they figured (rightly) people would, quite often, turn away and close their eyes during the kill it got so horrible.. they wanted to make sure when you opened them, you still got a good look.

Now I am laughing about the idea of Tyrion riding The Mountain around, Master Blaster style.

ED: Anyone complaining about the scenes in the east, I think they've done wonders at making the show feel like it exists in a fleshed out world. I think if we had only seen Westeros, viewers would get the impression - right or wrong - the world consists entirely of a medieval Europe stand-in.

It's nice to know there are other nations and finally getting to see them. I hope Dorne gets revisted and we spend some more time in Bravos before the show is done.

rypakal posted:

My wife once asked me why they split book 3 into two seasons. After watching Oberyn, she understood. Try to imagine the emotional impact of Dracarys and Mormont and Red Wedding and Joffrey and Oberyn and tyrion trial all in one season.

I'm still laughing at the sheer number of assholes at the end of season 3 that kept saying how the books "slowed down horribly" after the Red Wedding and that nothing all that big/interesting would happen. I heard that a LOT here. So full of poo poo.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 7, 2014

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Him designing that saddle for Bran was a precursor to his mech-suit

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: In retrospect the really long tracking shot of the aftermath was more than a cool shot too. After watching reaction videos I bet they figured (rightly) people would, quite often, turn away and close their eyes during the kill it got so horrible.. they wanted to make sure when you opened them, you still got a good look.
This is exactly what happened when I was watching the episode with a friend. I was on point to tell her the next screen would probably be a viking without skin, but missed the long take of Oberyn's brains.
I too could have done without that, actually. Oberyn's head looked awfully like rubber, but it still made the point quite well.

My girlfriend won't watch the show with me ever since season 1 Mountain (whatever happened to season 2 Mountain by the way?) killed that horse.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'm still laughing at the sheer number of assholes at the end of season 3 that kept saying how the books "slowed down horribly" after the Red Wedding and that nothing all that big/interesting would happen. I heard that a LOT here. So full of poo poo.

Literally no one says book 3 slows down after the red wedding (which is roughly halfway through that book). People say the books slow down after book 3, i.e. this season.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

So It Goes posted:

Literally no one says book 3 slows down after the red wedding (which is roughly halfway through that book). People say the books slow down after book 3, i.e. this season.

Which won't be true for the show either since they're probably gonna go through books 4, 5 and some unreleased material in a single season.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

All I can see when I look at the bottom-right victim (which I'm guessing is Joffrey) is Naruto. Also who's propped up against GRRM's leg? A crowned Viserys?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Elman posted:

Which won't be true for the show either since they're probably gonna go through books 4, 5 and some unreleased material in a single season.

Well, yes and no. Next season will contain 2+ books worth of content, but its best to think of that content along the lines of the first book/season as opposed to this one. GRRM overturned the chessboard when he wrote Storm of Swords and the next few books are him picking up the pieces (before he overturns it again in aDoS).

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

"Remember me, Oberyn? When I killed Elia, I bashed her head...IN LIKE THIS!"

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Shatneresque diction is ex. El-ENT!

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

HauntedRobot posted:

Shatneresque diction is ex. El-ENT!

He is referencing Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

C-Euro posted:

All I can see when I look at the bottom-right victim (which I'm guessing is Joffrey) is Naruto. Also who's propped up against GRRM's leg? A crowned Viserys?

I think so. It seems to be Khal Drogo, White Walker, Ned Stark, Robb Stark & Grey Wind, Oberyn, Joffrey/Naruto (totally made the same connection too) and Viserys.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

"I suppose no one is going to notice that Prince Oberyn just disappeared?"
"Who's got time to wonder what happened to some ridiculous showboating Dornish fool when you're galloping by at 10 miles an hour?"
"What are you talking about, there's no King's Road past Dorne"

etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Hey everyone, great job taking this thread 57 pages and only allowing it to sort of go to poo poo. Seriously, thanks, I really appreciate that. Let's try and carry that over into the episode 9 thread. :)

• Locked thread