Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Will their next horse be named California Steel? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

I seriously hope their next horse is named "gently caress you" Maybe make it look like some japanese word like "fukiu"

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

California Loooove

da-da-da da, da, da

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What the hell were they just doing?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Peanut President posted:

Imagine if you can sit your starters the whole season then just show up at the World Series/Stanley Cup/Super Bowl with your main guys who have been rested all season.
Imagine if a more tortured and impossible analogy could be wrenched from the divine spark

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

Well that was certainly a wild emotional ride! I don't think I've ever seen a Triple Crown cycle this all over the place before.

It just went from :dance: to :neckbeard: to :ohdear: to :smith: to :stonk: in the span of like 10 minutes. My heart can't take this!

To the glue factory with you!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hey Costas, remember right before the race when you said a NY/LA sports championship portended a Triple Crown?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is it just me or does it seem like there are a lot of Hispanic jockeys?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 8, 2014

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

California Firefox

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Hispanics always take american jobs.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Chokes McGee posted:

I was there when Eight Bells died. :smith:

And don't even get me started about Barbaro.

quote:

"ANIMALS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN. MY SUNDAY SCHOOL TEACHER TOLD US. DON'T BLASPHEME YOU PEOPLE. PS get well soon." — age 8, Westchester, WA.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

Imagine if a more tortured and impossible analogy could be wrenched from the divine spark

Imagine a thread sperging about rating e3 presentations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Josh Lyman posted:

Hey Costas, remember right before the race when you said a NY/LA sports championship portended a Triple Crown?

Does that mean we get a new pair of teams? I'd be ok with that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Peanut President posted:

Imagine a thread sperging about rating e3 presentations.
E3 is fuckin fun as poo poo, now explain why an NFL team would not be entitled to do whatever they wanted if their entire bench started and got to the playoffs and then the super bowl

that's some Keanu Reeves in The Replacements poo poo

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

LA electrified by hockey? Sure...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

E3 is fuckin fun as poo poo, now explain why an NFL team would not be entitled to do whatever they wanted if their entire bench started and got to the playoffs and then the super bowl

Phew, you freaked me out and I thought I missed E3 opening night.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Colonel handling this with proper Southern grace.

He's 100% right though.

Yeah it's totally unfair that Chrome had to deal with fresh horses...you know, like every other Triple Crown contender ever. Dude's going out like a bitch.

I do think they should spread out the races a bit more, but I think that's more of an issue with Derby->Preakness. At least I can say I've seen the TC trophy up close at the Kentucky Horse Park, because I may never see it handed out again. :sigh:

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Peanut President posted:

It is bullshit. Imagine if you can sit your starters the whole season then just show up at the World Series/Stanley Cup/Super Bowl with your main guys who have been rested all season. It's loving garbage and it's no surprise that no one watches horse racing anymore.

But the Triple Crown winners had all beaten new horses in the Belmont, with the same intervals between the three races, those horses were just that much better than the rest of the horses their age. Also if you only allowed horses that competed in all three to race, you'd have like 5 horses left in the Belmont, as every year the owners of a decent portion of the Kentucky Derby field decide afterwards "Nah, my horse really isn't up to this level of competition right now, I think I'll go somewhere softer."

And keep in mind the Triple Crown isn't really "fair" in the first place, it's only open to 3-year-olds, for one, and most horses are more developed and faster at 4. Really, if you want to see the fastest horses on dirt, you've got to wait till the Breeder's Cup Classic in the fall, it doesn't have any stupid age restrictions.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 8, 2014

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

The horses that ran the Belmont didn't race the other two races. They sat out. It's dumb they're allowed to do that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Like if a baseball team of 4th and 5th outfielders, pitchers and infielders made it to the world series that would be awesome and Jeffersonlives would have a stroke from posting endless rants about them not belonging

Peanut President posted:

The horses that ran the Belmont didn't race the other two races. They sat out. It's dumb they're allowed to do that.
I know, I was just making fun of your bad analogy and then you doubled down

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

Like if a baseball team of 4th and 5th outfielders, pitchers and infielders made it to the world series that would be awesome and Jeffersonlives would have a stroke from posting endless rants about them not belonging

I know, I was just making fun of your bad analogy and then you doubled down

I'm aggravated and I took it out on you, I apologize. I actually like your e3 thread, to be perfectly honest.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Honestly dont worry about it because we'll forget that horse racing even exists after today

The next important sporting event is on July 4th in Coney Island anyway

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Honestly dont worry about it because we'll forget that horse racing even exists after today

You know what?

You're right.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Sucrose posted:

But the Triple Crown winners had all beaten new horses in the Belmont, with the same intervals between the three races, those horses were just that much better than the rest of the horses their age. Also if you only allowed horses that competed in all three to race, you'd have like 5 horses left in the Belmont, as every year the owners of a decent portion of the Kentucky Derby field decide afterwards "Nah, my horse really isn't up to this level of competition right now, I think I'll go somewhere softer."

I would think that there'd be more carryover into the Preakness & Belmont, under the notion that the field can only get smaller and everyone's equally tired.

It would also prevent a horse that gets hurt in the Derby from running the Preakness or Belmont, which is a lovely precedent to set. If you changed the rules so the Triple Crown could be handed out to a horse that wins the Derby & beats all of the Derby competitors that run the Preakness & Belmont even if they don't win those races, that's an option that'd appease the angry multi-millionaire redneck.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ahem, Djokovic has a proper chance to defeat Nadal at Roland Garros tomorrow at 9am ET. :colbert:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

oldskool posted:

If you changed the rules so the Triple Crown could be handed out to a horse that wins the Derby & beats all of the Derby competitors that run the Preakness & Belmont even if they don't win those races, that's an option that'd appease the angry multi-millionaire redneck.

This would be very silly and I hope it's not the point you're actually trying to make. I can't even tell anymore, I'm still reeling from that epic meltdown.

The main causes as to why we haven't had a triple crown winner are three-fold:

• You've got what's basically child horses that are bred/trained almost exclusively for speed and not distance
  • The races are much closer together
  • The fields are absolutely gigantic

At this point, I don't think anyone's gonna get it until they change the format. Big Brown was roided out of his skull and still couldn't get across the line. (Though to be fair, it was because New York took one look at Dutrow and went "lol no.")

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

This would be very silly and I hope it's not the point you're actually trying to make. I can't even tell anymore, I'm still reeling from that epic meltdown.

The main causes as to why we haven't had a triple crown winner are three-fold:

• You've got what's basically child horses that are bred/trained almost exclusively for speed and not distance
  • The races are much closer together
  • The fields are absolutely gigantic

At this point, I don't think anyone's gonna get it until they change the format. Big Brown was roided out of his skull and still couldn't get across the line. (Though to be fair, it was because New York took one look at Dutrow and went "lol no.")

In my opinion the real problem is there's so many horses, and the horses are bred so very, very similarly to each other, and the speed of race horses has been dead flat for 70 years, that no horse is ever a true standout among the others. The number of foals for the racing industry had been rising and rising every year until the recession, so there's just no shortage of them, ever. They all come from practically the same bloodlines. They're (almost) all descended from Secretariat or Seattle Slew or both, multiple times over due to inbreeding. Most of them are bred specifically to run a mile to a mile-and-a-quarter on dirt, specifically.

In my opinion that's the reason for it. You churn out thousands of nearly identically-bred horses, all geared towards a handful of the same races, and the best of the best of those are going to have very similar results. Horses won triple crowns in the 70s because there weren't as many of them to compete with.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Peanut President posted:

It is bullshit. Imagine if you can sit your starters the whole season then just show up at the World Series/Stanley Cup/Super Bowl with your main guys who have been rested all season. It's loving garbage and it's no surprise that no one watches horse racing anymore.

Comparing this to team sports is wrong. Instead think about if John McEnroe was whining about tennis players making it to Wimbledon without playing in every tour event.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Josh Lyman posted:

Fair number of smaller guys, some of them cut their teeth in podunk races before coming to the US to make real money (and not all of them illegally even).

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

oldskool posted:

I would think that there'd be more carryover into the Preakness & Belmont, under the notion that the field can only get smaller and everyone's equally tired.

It would also prevent a horse that gets hurt in the Derby from running the Preakness or Belmont, which is a lovely precedent to set. If you changed the rules so the Triple Crown could be handed out to a horse that wins the Derby & beats all of the Derby competitors that run the Preakness & Belmont even if they don't win those races, that's an option that'd appease the angry multi-millionaire redneck.

They actually did something like this for a while, though it was just a money bonus based on placings in each race. Granted I don't think running them all was required, but it was definately skewed towards getting at least 2 placings.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Moktaro posted:

Comparing this to team sports is wrong. Instead think about if John McEnroe was whining about tennis players making it to Wimbledon without playing in every tour event.
Or Lance Armstrong only riding in the Tour de France (which he pretty much did).

s0j
May 17, 2003

get fucked, round-eye
Just got back from Belmont. Kind of conflicted. Went to place $5 on California Chrome as a novelty to say I bet on the triple crown winner, but either I was kind of drunk or it was kind of loud so the lady punching in the ticket must have heard "11 in the 11th race" instead of 2. I didn't even notice until 30 seconds before the start.

4 hours later I think I would have preferred to see the triple crown win.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

haha the owner is continuing to make a complete rear end of himself, calling the other horse's owner a "goddamned cheater"

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

NBC sells the Triple Crown as a final stage and until the last few years I thought it was the same field in each race. Not as three separate tournaments like the Aussie Open, French Open, Wimbledon, etc. Over the last two years Costas has failed to explain clearly how the Triple Crown works.

I guess it makes the Triple Crown a more rare feat and that much more impressive, but it's like letting Usain Bolt or Michael Phelps sit out of the prelims because they were sick and got better for the finals.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I wouldn't say it's like that because the Kentucky Derby is probably the one race everyone would choose to win if they could only win one.

For someone who knows more about horses than I do (anything really): really how much of a factor is fatigue in these things? Everyone keeps talking about it but like...I thought the entire point of thoroughbreds was that they were bred to run. Do they really need a month off to be in top shape after running a race?

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

haha the owner is continuing to make a complete rear end of himself, calling the other horse's owner a "goddamned cheater"

Truly this is the sport of kings; the king in this case, is Joffrey

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

Do they really need a month off to be in top shape after running a race?

Stress and fatigue of travel can take its toll even with time off (former swimmer here, you're not always at top of your game). California Chrome's jockey implied that he just felt off but good. I can't imagine what it is like for an animal who is not fully understanding what is going on to suddenly be surrounded by 100,000 people screaming. Even if properly tapered for the big events sometimes you're still fatigued.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Looks like Team Dumbass (Stables) is blasting off again! :v:

Also yeah, it's not like anyone intentionally skips the Derby because they'd rather win the Belmont, more that they just need the extra time to hit their peak. And double lol to the notion that anyone would run just to beat his horse, he certainly didn't waste any time going from 'working class hero' to entitled jerk.

Moktaro fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 8, 2014

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Moktaro posted:

Also yeah, it's not like anyone intentionally skips the Derby because they'd rather win the Belmont, more that they just need the extra time to hit their peak. And double lol to the notion that anyone would run just to beat his horse, he certainly didn't waste any time going from 'working class hero' to entitled jerk.

Yeah, the horse that won the Belmont (Tonalist) didn't qualify for the Kentucky Derby, he won a fairly major race a couple weeks after the Derby and then got into the Belmont based on that. At the time the Triple Crown races are run, the horses are still really young and maturing, so it wouldn't really be fair to bar horses peaking later from running in the Preakness or Belmont just because they didn't win races months before that would qualify them for the Derby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

Moktaro posted:

Trainers picking spoilers is a well known """"fact"""" in horse racing.

• Locked thread