Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011
NDA enforced by dark horrors from beyond the sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
It's a neat game, and you can see where it's headed paying the alpha, but I don't think some folks here understand what's meant by "alpha." The lucky goons with golden tickets are really doing GLG a big service by playing, giving feedback, and filling bugs. It's fun in that when things are working it's enjoyable, but things aren't ever always working, and you do have a responsibility to report them at a minimum, and try to reproduce it if possible.

I think that you won't go wrong looking at the official blog posts :unsmith:

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
I know you guys would have announced the release date if you were ready to. So I'm not asking about that. What I will ask is if you guys have a release date FOR the release date. Do you? Pretty please? The shadows behind my eyes want to know. :stare:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
When the stars are right.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Dareon posted:

When the stars are right.

Or the right version of wrong.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Dareon posted:

When the stars are right and screaming .

Fixed that for you.

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

Chunjee posted:

Why do I keep finding out about Gaslamp betas right after the door closes. Still gonna camp irc again to have my heart broken.

Oh hey, I remember you from the last time we did this stuff. I think the plan is to keep streaming people into the alpha in small groups up to early access, so we get a valuable stream of "new impressions" at a rate at which we can manage.

Volmarias posted:

It's a neat game, and you can see where it's headed paying the alpha, but I don't think some folks here understand what's meant by "alpha." The lucky goons with golden tickets are really doing GLG a big service by playing, giving feedback, and filling bugs. It's fun in that when things are working it's enjoyable, but things aren't ever always working, and you do have a responsibility to report them at a minimum, and try to reproduce it if possible.

Yes, basically this (never mind the fact that we still have a handful of testers for whom the game either doesn't, or barely, runs on their video cards.) I'm super happy with the direction we're going in, though - for those of you old-timey farts who remember the Dredmor beta like me, you know that these things typically pick up steam as we progress; I don't think anybody in the beta so far would argue with me when I say that the progress over the last couple of months has been excellent. That said: yes, people are - oddly - having fun, but we have work to do on our end... to put it mildly.

Which is why I am in the office on a Sunday.

Admiral Funk posted:

I know you guys would have announced the release date if you were ready to. So I'm not asking about that. What I will ask is if you guys have a release date FOR the release date. Do you? Pretty please? The shadows behind my eyes want to know. :stare:

The last public statement we made was "summer".

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
So June 21st. Got it.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Lprsti99 posted:

So June 21st. Got it.

2015 :v:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The digits DO add up to the holy number of Chaos.

EDIT: \/ I was referring to the 8-pointed star, but fair enough.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 9, 2014

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Mokinokaro posted:

The digits DO add up to the holy number of Khorne.

Fixed.

Now I want the Chaos Gods in this.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Lprsti99 posted:

Fixed.

Now I want the Chaos Gods in this.

Fool, you have summoned the most power force in the universe, Game Workshops Legal Department!

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Oh man, this looks really neat. If it had been just a liiiittle longer until I found out about this game it would have been a pleasant surprise instead of something new to look forward to :(

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Agean90 posted:

Fool, you have summoned the most power force in the universe, Game Workshops Legal Department!

No, the other chaos gods. Nvining is buff as hell, he can take Michael Moorcock, probably. :v:

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No, the other chaos gods. Nvining is buff as hell, he can take Michael Moorcock, probably. :v:

You're forgetting Moorcock's incredibly manly beard.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
I completely forgot this was being developed and read the last 6 months of thread and assorted blogs/interviews- I cannot wait for this to come out.

Time to fire up Dredmor, I had forgotten about that game too and hadn't played the latest xpac.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

My froth for this game continues at a steady simmer. Hey, are there any plans for DLC yet? If I may so humbly suggest: The Hat Pack, containing over 100 new hats for your citizens to envy, hate, and get in fist-fights over. (And secretly, a few new hat-related events and artifacts. Like the Mask of Off-Brand Nyharlotep.) I'd buy that for $1.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Let's talk about grisly violence:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/06/11/building-a-better-world-through-video-game-violence/

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

To be honest I think I'm more a fan of grizzly violence. This is good though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I actually had sort of a question about the combat, though not necessarily the violence aspect of it.

From what I've seen in the pictures and in the couple of videos available, combat looks kind of unstructured, are you still planning on having that construction, organization, and planning based combat system that was discussed in a previous blog post?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Unless the blood, innards, depravity and gore is extreme enough to cause the most psychotic snuff film to curl up and cry in the corner in comparison to when a citizen shoots a dodo I'm not buying. Dealbreaker. :colbert:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

To be fair I don't think E3 jokes could touch on last year's material without giving PR a heart attack.

nvining
May 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I actually had sort of a question about the combat, though not necessarily the violence aspect of it.

From what I've seen in the pictures and in the couple of videos available, combat looks kind of unstructured, are you still planning on having that construction, organization, and planning based combat system that was discussed in a previous blog post?

To the best of my knowledge, yes, but let's get it so that the military doesn't stand around ****ing about, eating cabbages and installing small pieces of workbench equipment while fishpeople kill everyone. (People in the pre-alpha will know of what I speak)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

nvining posted:

To the best of my knowledge, yes, but let's get it so that the military doesn't stand around ****ing about, eating cabbages and installing small pieces of workbench equipment while fishpeople kill everyone. (People in the pre-alpha will know of what I speak)

Cool, I wasn't sure if the military was just something that hadn't really been looked at much yet, or whether the running around like a headless chicken was working as intended. It's hard to tell with this game sometimes, you know?

nvining
May 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Cool, I wasn't sure if the military was just something that hadn't really been looked at much yet, or whether the running around like a headless chicken was working as intended. It's hard to tell with this game sometimes, you know?

How would you know? You're not even *in* the alpha.

Who broke the NDA? Own up!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

nvining posted:

Consider it a compliment to the communicativeness of your blog posts if I can get such an accurate impression from them.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

nvining posted:

*munch munch*
"Naw, son. You got this. Give that fishman a left hook and follow it up with a right jab to the midsection."

*Distant scream and a spray of blood falls upon the guard*

"Oh, drat it man! You got blood on my cabbage, now I gotta go get another one, you know how I get if I don't get my afternoon snack. Just sit tight, I'm sure that nice fish gentleman will let you put your guts back in you while I'm gone, it's not very sporting if he doesn't."

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

nvining posted:

Well you did repost my first impression of the military here.

But if you want to plug any potential leaks just reward anyone who silences a leaker with their testing slot. (It wasn't me. Turning me into a hat wouldn't qualify.)

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Daniel's been drinking deeply from the wells of Adrian Carmack's Flesh Temple, eh? Well, I definitely see his points. Doom and Quake were unsettlingly visceral, and I always felt that the vagueness implied by the meat-chunk gore added to the effect far more effectively than smoking limb-stumps or flying eyeballs would have done. Event Horizon did a good job translating that into the cathedral of gore that they used as a med-bay, too. So I'm all for Romeroesque meat-chunk goodness.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Notorious QIG posted:

To be honest I think I'm more a fan of grizzly violence. This is good though.

This game needs grisly grizzly violence. Anything less would be unbearable.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Fish people eggs are a delicacy and can only be obtained by extracting the caviar from their corpses. Okay that's probably a little too dark.

Definitely needs horrible factory mangling though, what is a sawmill without a few lost fingers?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

nvining posted:

No, but I can see how this would be a useful button. I'll make a JIRA ticket.

:stare: dang, that's cool of you

The dodo's unattended corpse makes me wonder: Is there going to be a corpse cleanup behavior and a related consequence for not doing it? I guess DF has this in the form of miasma. Animal corpses would rot, stink up the place and the attendant pests would spread disease*. Unburied humans would not only rot, stink and whatnot but also cause mental anguish and increase Madness in those who must continue living, presumably.

*is there even disease of the non-mental variety in the game?

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Munkeymon posted:

*is there even disease of the non-mental variety in the game?

Any respectable physician knows ill humours are the root of colonists being trapped in unknowable geometries.

So make sure you drink your sulfur tonic and have your blood let before you venture into the gaslamp labyrinth to retrieve the alpha code.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

LtSmash posted:

Any respectable physician knows ill humours are the root of colonists being trapped in unknowable geometries.

So make sure you drink your sulfur tonic and have your blood let before you venture into the gaslamp labyrinth to retrieve the alpha code.

Note: Alpha Code retrieval is only possible after the proper amounts of laudenum have been applied behind the ears.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

nvining posted:

My useless militia! :negative:

Morning
Aug 10, 2008

Volmarias posted:

My useless militia! :negative:

I don't see the problem with this, they're food for the servants of the Many Angled Ones (May Their return be forever hastened by such noble sacrifice) :colbert:

Possibly A Ghost
Jul 27, 2013
Somebody mentioned this in the comments on the blog post, but I gotta say I'm a really big supporter of some kind of blood trail system being implemented. I think it could add a lot of atmosphere -- especially since you guys are emphasizing the unknown and an inability to fully trust your colonists to give you all the information you need. Say you send poor Benjamin Cogsworth out to chop some wood in the dead of night while you go watch a cockfight or something offscreen, and when you come back in the morning, all that's left is a red smear leading into the woods. I'd rather have that than any kind of cue that he was under attack at all, or even leaving his body laying around (though I know it would be tough to balance a completely notification-free system). To me it's that kind of "that really happened, he's dead now :stonk: " horror you're going for. Practically, it'd also be useful for a more dynamic hunting system, or for rooting out stray fishpeople after a battle.

Bridgeburner_
Oct 23, 2013
Really looking forward to this game. It feels like a game that draws heavily on "The Settlers 2/3" series of games which I enjoyed immensely. Both the game art and concepts are exuding a lot of Settler vibes. One thing that those games really suffered from was a "challenge" or a real end-game apart from being a shoddy RTS. It looks like CE won't have that problem with the Lovecraftian mythos styled "events".

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Will there be fog of war? If so Benjamin could be incapacitated and dragged into it, still alive (or not) but not generating vision and trailing blood. Lets you have notifications and still want to round up a squad of militia to follow the trail into the Unknown Interior. Kind of like plasma shots from the dark in the original x-com.

E: more specifically a plasma shot from the dark that leaves a valuable soldier unconscious and wounded. That feeling of urgency to get to him and yet wary apprehension of what might be waiting when you do was awesome.

Caconym fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Possibly A Ghost
Jul 27, 2013

Caconym posted:

Will there be fog of war? If so Benjamin could be incapacitated and dragged into it, still alive (or not) but not generating vision and trailing blood. Lets you have notifications and still want to round up a squad of militia to follow the trail into the Unknown Interior. Kind of like plasma shots from the dark in the original x-com.

E: more specifically a plasma shot from the dark that leaves a valuable soldier unconscious and wounded. That feeling of urgency to get to him and yet wary apprehension of what might be waiting when you do was awesome.

Yeah this is the kind of thing I'd love to see -- is retrieving Benjamin worth endangering your militiamen? Is it even likely he's still alive? Is whatever got him all full of blood for the next moon cycle and won't be back for another month at minimum?
I'm assuming there will be fog of war, given the themes we're working with here, but I guess I could be wrong.

• Locked thread