Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

This thread is for the small things in games that you feel are pretty nice, the things that make good games great and bad games memorable and interesting despite the quality. These things aren't supposed to be the main thing in the game, so praising Gran Turismo for having nice driving physics is mission the point

Previous Thread : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3468148&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Opposite Thread : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3634950&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Mafia : The City of Lost Heaven
It's one of the few open world crime games where getting caught by the police doesn't always lead to a game over, if you crime is a minor one like speeding or running a read light, you can stop and pay the ticket at the spot, you can of course also try to run but then they will start shooting and actually try to arrest you.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.
Getting a coin in Mario.

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory
I love how gung-ho about space the eponymous Kerbals are in Kerbal Space Program. Jeb, the main one, is always gleeful whenever he gets to space and seeing his grinning little portrait in the corner always makes me smile. :jeb:

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
In Injustice: Gods Among Us Superman has a dash punch special that looks like an actual MMA superman punch.

MrJacobs has a new favorite as of 04:08 on Jun 8, 2014

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
In Lightning Returns, the audience will sing out the "da-da-da-daaaah" fanfare after certain matches.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I haven't played MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries in probably fifteen years but to this day every single morning I open hand slap a mixtape into my boombox and listen to a 45 minute long remix of Dead Eye telling me I'm a piece of poo poo newbie while a robotic voice monotonously informs me of the local time and ambient temperature.

Reactor online. Sensors online. Weapons online.

All systems nominal.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
I like to play Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 online occasionally, and one of the best little things is the final kill replay at the end of a match. CoD:BO2 online can get pretty fast-paced and hectic, so watching the game go from regular speed to ultra slo-mo lends to some great and hilarious moments.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
In Trine 2, there's a little puzzle involving a giant frog where you need to pull down a piece of fruit as bait and use the frog's tongue as a ramp. The frog is too fukken lazy to move, so if you pull the fruit out of range, it'll lean forward slightly but nothing else. If you drop it in the nearby pool of water, the frog will bend over, smiling, and then look crestfallen as it sinks.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
The jukebox in Starcraft II. I spend far too much time listening to that thing between missions.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing that's neat about Watch Dogs is how seamless the online can be. I was just cruising around trying to do some side stuff when all of a sudden I noticed a car driving like crazy. I blow up a steam pipe as he drives across it and it turns out it was another player who was about to try and hack me.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In the game Mount and Blade you can subvert the title and play as an archer or a spearman or a mounted dude without a blade. It's cool that they didn't force you to play as the game originally intended.

Likewise, you can play with a nation outside of Europe in Europa Universalis. It's those little details that makes Paradox such a great company.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mans posted:

In the game Mount and Blade you can subvert the title and play as an archer or a spearman or a mounted dude without a blade. It's cool that they didn't force you to play as the game originally intended.

Likewise, you can play with a nation outside of Europe in Europa Universalis. It's those little details that makes Paradox such a great company.

Mount and Blade is one of the funnest sword fighting games because it lets you basically play as a medieval ubermensch supreme. I also love that the weapons aren't just reskinned versions of each other, a sword deals consistent damage no matter where you hit a dude with it (generally), as long as you have the velocity. Axes are good against shields and break them really really fast, and 2 handed mauls generally don't make you recoil with overhead hits.

Along the same lines, Space Marine was one of the best multiplayer experiences (even though it was unbalanced and had awful connectivity) because of the melee fighting. If you packed a chainsword, it was a way different play style than using a power axe or a lightning hammer. Like, vastly different. Most dudes played it like Gears of War or something but a few of us owned up to the "live fast die really really fast" play style of melee in that game, mostly because the jump pack was so loving fun to use.

I wish they'd make another one but make it have servers so that it would be playable.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
In Saints Row IV they had a whole mission that was basically Metal Gear Solid Saints Row style. You got to hide in a cardboard box, crawl through a vent, avoid the guard to prevent an exclamation mark appearing above his head.. All with hilarious commentary. "Why waste two bullets on shooting out those lights when I could use just one on the guard?" It was awesome.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 03:35 on Jun 8, 2014

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

In Saints Row IV they had a whole mission that was basically Metal Gear Solid Saints Row style. You got to hide in a cardboard box, crawl through a vent, avoid the guard to prevent an exclamation mark appearing above his head.. All with hilarious commentary. "Why waste two bullets on shooting out those lights when I could use just one on the guard?" It was awesome.

"Asha, that light bulb had a family."

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

My favorite little thing about Mount and Blade is that playing as a nobleman is the "default" experience but you can also play as a noblewoman or a commoner of either gender, depending on how you answer the character creation questions. Besides the obvious difference between the genders and the fact that nobles can carry a banner and shield with their coat of arms while commoners just get a default banner, it also affects how NPCs interact with you. It's a world where all the gender and bloodline biases of the medieval times still exist, but different nobles react to you acting "above your station" differently. Some just figure "whatever, we can use all the help we can get" and your gender/birth doesn't affect your relations with them. Some hate you for trying to lead troops when they view you as being beneath them and you start at lowered relations with them. And others think it's cool as hell that you're kicking rear end and advancing beyond what society deemed to be your place and start with a higher opinion of you. It's a pretty cool little feature that makes your character creation more than just a model change or a difference in banners.

And of course the dialog tree gives you sassy comebacks to the ones that call you out for being a woman or peasant. :nyd:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

I love how gung-ho about space the eponymous Kerbals are in Kerbal Space Program. Jeb, the main one, is always gleeful whenever he gets to space and seeing his grinning little portrait in the corner always makes me smile. :jeb:

The music is also fantastic, it's always seems to be so fitting. The best is when you finally cut the noisy rumble of your engines, slowly floating through space and the music starts up with his optimistic din that really makes you feel like your accomplished something.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I recently bought Transistor on PS4 and one of the neat things is with the controller. The LED light flashes whenever Transistor talks (because he does so in the game too). It's just a shame that like all PS4 games that use the LED creatively, you cant see it unless you hold the controller all weird.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

RagnarokAngel posted:

I recently bought Transistor on PS4 and one of the neat things is with the controller. The LED light flashes whenever Transistor talks (because he does so in the game too). It's just a shame that like all PS4 games that use the LED creatively, you cant see it unless you hold the controller all weird.

From what I watched on YouTube in a video with the designer of the controller, the lights are supposed to immerse players who are playing in dark rooms. Talk about catering to nerds...

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
The random info assigned in Watch_Dogs can be spookily precisient sometimes:

Look at the name too.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

jojoinnit posted:

The random info assigned in Watch_Dogs can be spookily precisient sometimes:

Look at the name too.

It can also be hilarious with such interesting info on peoples profiles such as: Huffs Paint. and Sexually Attracted to Musical Instruments.

I failed a mission from laughing at those two.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I saw one that I'm assuming is a Breaking Bad reference as it said the person "collects minerals."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

muscles like this? posted:

I saw one that I'm assuming is a Breaking Bad reference as it said the person "collects minerals."

I found someone else who collects spores, molds, and fungus.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

I don't know, my dad does that because he's a giant nerd who double majored in mineral and petroleum engineering and minored in geology. It's not all that rare. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_collecting

^^^^^ok, that one is definitely a Ghostbusters reference.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sneaksie Taffer posted:

I don't know, my dad does that because he's a giant nerd who double majored in mineral and petroleum engineering and minored in geology. It's not all that rare. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_collecting

^^^^^ok, that one is definitely a Ghostbusters reference.

Its just the wording. Normally someone doing that would just be collecting rocks but it was a specific thing on Breaking Bad that Hank didn't collect rocks, he collected minerals.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Devyl posted:

I like to play Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 online occasionally, and one of the best little things is the final kill replay at the end of a match. CoD:BO2 online can get pretty fast-paced and hectic, so watching the game go from regular speed to ultra slo-mo lends to some great and hilarious moments.

I like that the action continues about 1 second after the times expires/point count is reached. So, you watch a buy perform the final killing shot, only to get ragdolled by C4 immediately afterwards.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

spog posted:

I like that the action continues about 1 second after the times expires/point count is reached. So, you watch a buy perform the final killing shot, only to get ragdolled by C4 immediately afterwards.

That might just be a thing in that Kill Confirmed mode, the one where you steal dog tags from dead guys. It still has the final kill cam, but since killing isn't strictly what ends the match, you get the slow-motion final shots on a guy who drops dead and then it speeds back up as the killer runs over to grab his tags.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've picked up Just Cause 2 again recently, and realied something: Just Cause 2 is the only open-world game with vehicles that actually has useful planes.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

There are a bunch of little things in Watch_Dogs to love (and some things that drag it down as well) but the final criminal convoy side-mission has a fun tie-in with another Ubisoft game: Assassin's Creed IV. The target is Olivier Garneau, the Chief Creative Officer of Abstergo Entertainment, a subsidiary of templar-owned Abstergo Industries. In one of the "real-life" portions of AC4, Olivier is sent to Chicago for a shareholder's meeting, but you find out that he never arrived. In Watch_Dogs you are tasked (by the assassins presumably) with taking him down as he makes his way across the city.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.
Getting a ring in Sonic the Hedgehog.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I played The Fall yesterday and it is really drat good, but the bits I enjoyed most:

Hitting start to open the menu will put a message on screen saying run menu.exe. If you keep mashing it without letting the menu open, it gets all distorted into RMeuexn neMue.neux.eexe and things like that.

Being a military droid, you can't really complete the tests designed for a domestic droid, so some of the solutions you have to make are pretty good, like helping an old lady cross the street when the automatic tracks the lady uses are broken. You have to get her hit by a car so she's trapped, pick her up and wave her in front of the camera on the other side like ARE YOU HAPPY NOW.

The story itself is loving awesome in general too.

anuj
Oct 14, 2005

~anime crew~
~R.I.P. Soap-san~

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

This made me look up the current price point on SR4, and I wanted to mention that for the next 24 hours it's $9.99 on the Humble Store. Looking forward to starting this tonight.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Watch_dogs the little think I like is the characters. Ok, not autistic Batman, but the other characters. Clara, T-Bone, Jordi, all are awesome in their own way. gently caress man, t-bone Taking a selfie of his exploding, booby-trapped junkyard was beautiful.

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012
Steven Heck in Alpha Protocol. His emails, his exuberant violence , the cheerful way he threatens to make his partner drink drain cleaner...it's just beautiful.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Was playing Sniper Elite V2 with a friend of mine and I did a slow motion shot where the bullet entered a guy's neck, tumbled through the air and went through the eye of the dude standing behind him :monocle:

I also like how the game keeps track of your character's heart rate; get shot at a lot or sprint a long distance and it will increase your heart rate where it adversely affects your aim.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

anuj posted:

This made me look up the current price point on SR4, and I wanted to mention that for the next 24 hours it's $9.99 on the Humble Store. Looking forward to starting this tonight.

In the last thread there was some discussion of Syndicate which made me want to pick it up. Good news is it's currently on sale for $5.99 on Origin: https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/buy/syndicate-eap

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

So is Bulletstorm, so have at em.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

SodomyGoat101 posted:

Steven Heck in Alpha Protocol. His emails, his exuberant violence , the cheerful way he threatens to make his partner drink drain cleaner...it's just beautiful.

"So what I say is, we find this 'Deng' character, and we give him the bees!"
"The...bees?"
"The goddamn bees."

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

SodomyGoat101 posted:

Isn't there a mission in Hong Kong where you're trying to stealth through a subway without alerting anyone and one of the pre-mission perks you can buy is "assistance" from Heck? That assistance being a driveby with a mounted machine gun from a hi-jacked subway car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Canemacar posted:

Isn't there a mission in Hong Kong where you're trying to stealth through a subway without alerting anyone and one of the pre-mission perks you can buy is "assistance" from Heck? That assistance being a driveby with a mounted machine gun from a hi-jacked subway car?

No. It's Taipei and a minigun.