Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
:siren: Most Recent Update: Update 04: Some Grinding, Then Some Fisting :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXpE3JdprWs

Still doing the file-name joke thing. Maybe one of these days I'll actually finish an LP with it.

Hi, I'm Poison Mushroom, formerly Colon V, and I'm going to be doing a Let's Play of a game that I love. And as is LP Subforum tradition, since someone else has already done this game much better than I ever could, I'm going to be using a dumb gimmick in an attempt to make it more interesting!

What?
I'm very partial to informative screenshot LPs, but I have absolutely no chance in hell of doing that for this game better than Orange Fluffy Sheep did almost four years ago. There is nothing that I can say that hasn't been said already. If that's what you're looking for, check out that LP, because it is A) phenomenal and B) not at all what you're going to get here. In fact, I'll be summarizing cutscenes rather than fully presenting them, as even if I did, it'd basically just be a copy-and-paste of OFS' LP.

So, what's the gimmick?
Let's be honest. Aside from the Deep Dungeon, FFTactics is not a difficult game once you know its quirks. In the years since its release, all kinds of bizarre challenges have been come up with, and stomped flat. I... have neither the time nor the inclination to run one of them. Nor do I care to chronicle my suffering through one of the several 'make this game ball-bustingly hard' versions that are floating around. (FFTactics 1.3 being the most famous one.) Instead, I'll be doing something that should add some challenge to the game, while keeping things relatively interesting both to play and to read. The rules I'll be imposing upon myself for your amusement are as follows.

1. Goon Party: My party will, whenever possible, consist entirely of Ramza and generics. Monsters will be usable, and in fact may make up a significant portion of the meat shields by the end, if I get a Mediator. More importantly, I will hold to each goon's preference for his class as closely as possible. You want to be a Time Mage, you will be a Chemist for long enough to be a Black Mage, and a Black Mage for long enough to be a Time Mage. I fully expect to be given a party full of garbage to try and hack my way through with. No Calculators or Mimes, though.

2. Character Permadeath: If a character keels over, that's it. They may not be raised or revived. If they're an undead monster, and they revive on their own, great. Otherwise, they're just done. Other than that, if someone goes down, they're down for good. Guests are the exception, because there is no accounting for them and their nonsense (and they won't die anyways). I've been going back and forth on whether or not winning the map with someone KOed means they're saved or not, so I'll probably leave that up to thread decision. Per thread decision, a character is dead the moment they hit the ground. If Ramza dies, I will restart from my last save rather than restart the game, because I don't hate myself quite that much.

3. Job Loyalty: Characters can only use abilities of their active job. No more Black Mages with Draw Out or Ninjas double-punching people in the face. This will render some classes significantly more useful than others. Keep that in mind when picking your class, please. Ramza will be holding to this rule as well, but I'll be choosing his class, in a vain attempt to balance the party (and not get wrecked by Gafgarion or Wiegraf). Exception: To lower the amount of grinding I'll have to do, JP Up can be used by any job.

4. No Bug-Exploitation, No Party-Poaching: The former for obvious reasons, the latter because no one wants to ask to be a monster, and just be around long enough to get stabbed in the head so I can get a fancy gun. Also, because Poaching-grinding is boring as hell.

5. One Save Only: Well, one save, plus a 'literally impossible to continue' back-up. Only in the event of technical difficulties, or a string of losses so profound that it is literally impossible for me to continue I'll also be holding to the spirit of this rule in regards to restarting or intentionally losing battles because a character I liked died, or not saving so that I can 'accidentally' have to redo a previous battle over. That's dumb, and really not the point of this.

How do I get in on this bullshit?
Submissions are currently closed, but the link is here. If you want to see what else is coming up, or know when it's your turn to die in your first battle, you can find the list of corpses and soon-to-be corpses here. This list will contain unmarked spoilers for future updates, as it's also one of my personal resources for keeping track of everything.

Spoilers?
Code Green. Even the remake of this game has been out for a long time, so I'm not going to get bent out of shape if you mention that, say, Gafgarion is a duel boss that utterly wrecks a lot of unprepared players. If you're worried about spoilers, I'd really recommend scrolling up, clicking the link to OFS' LP, and reading that. You'll get a hell of a lot more out of the experience than you will with this.

Anything else?
I need Goon judgment on what to do with the un-renameable starting six generics, and whether or not KOed characters are saved by winning the map. You'll find there's questions for that in the form, but they'll be removed once I have the first real update up, so if you have an opinion, make it known now. And decided!

Updates may or may or may not be sporadic, depending on how things go, but I'll be trying to get one full update in every two weeks, or every month at the latest.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Main Updates
Update 00: Start-To-Save Time, 20 Minutes
Update 01: This Update Ends With Me Trying To Sing A Jock Jams Song Via Text
-Micro-Update 01
Update 02: I Strongly Dislike Argath
Update 03: I Break My Own Rules And Someone Dies
Update 04: Some Grinding, Then Some Fisting

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 16, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Links
Orange Fluffy Sheep's much better FFTactics LP
J. Alfred Prufrock's ongoing FFTactics 1.3 LP

Betting Pool
Chapter 2
  • Trollhawke bets that 20+ will be dead by the start of Chapter 2.
  • Ice_Mallet gives a more optimistic bet of 5+ by the start of Chapter 2.
  • Senerio says there will be 12+ gone by Chapter 2.
  • Prism gives a "good, optimistic number" of 7+ by Chapter 2.

Chapter 3
  • McGwee plays the long game with 17+ by Chapter 3.
  • Hankosha is also playing the long game, and says 13+ by Chapter 3.

Character or Location Specific
  • Regalingualius has his money on Orcs+Ostriches dying in Dorter Trade City!

Fanart
Hahaha. Maybe.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 28, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

:siren: This post may contain spoilers for in-progress updates! :siren:

Current as of: Update 04

Roster of the Living
A list of the in-game names, genders, and classes of the current roster.
  • PoisonMushroom, Ramza, Ramza-Squire 4, Capricorn
  • Orcs+Ostriches, Male, Summoner 2, Scorpio
  • Fister Roboto, Male, Monk 3, Cancer
  • Ice Mallet, Female, White Mage 3, Libra
  • EvilUrchin, Male, Thief 2, Cancer

Tribute to the Fallen
A memorial for those who have died because of PoisonMushroom's incompetence.
  • kalonZombie, Male, Squire 1, Sagittarius - Died to ignorance of Counter mechanics

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 16, 2014

EvilUrchin
Jun 13, 2007

Sigmar's Fist: 5 Star Crash Rating
Fine, I will be the kindest goon in all of goon town. Make Evil Urchin a White Mage.

I hope you're happy, this is a sacrifice I do not make lightly.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You'll need to put in through the form, so I can get it all in one place, but... :worship:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Kill the generics when you get a goon party. KOd units should count as dead, like old school games worked. Anyways, it's in the form.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I have submitted my form, and am currently turgid with anticipation.

EvilUrchin
Jun 13, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

You'll need to put in through the form, so I can get it all in one place, but... :worship:

Whoops, somehow missed the link for the form. My mistake, rectifying that error now.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
I signed myself as a White Mage. Yes, I know somebody else said they are a White Mage. I am aware, as I am apathetic.

I prefer to fire generics as soon as we have any and all goon replacement(s).

Hankosha
Apr 1, 2008

SISTAS ARE DOIN' IT FOR THEMSELVES
Signed up. Roll a dice or something to figure out my class.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I signed up as a glass cannon.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

BangBangBang! Commando of the Galaxy
Signed up even though I have no idea what this game is. I'm some sort of Chornomancer or something?

Looking forward to this.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

EvilUrchin posted:

Fine, I will be the kindest goon in all of goon town. Make Evil Urchin a White Mage.

I hope you're happy, this is a sacrifice I do not make lightly.

Ban D'ade will be competing for the position of White Mage, albeit half-heartedly.

As a follow-up to my submission, how much RPing are you planning on doing for Goon Squad? I put a concept on the form, but you also said you were planning on summarizing cut-scenes so...

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Signed up. I always wanted to get into FFTactics, but the PSP version runs super slow (I remember Cure's animation taking forever) and the PS version has a terrible translation. Is there any fan version that combines the best of both worlds?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Just got enough input to confirm my decision to Call falling down death and Replace the generics ASAP. Applications are still open, but that section of them is being removed.

Now to work on an update instead of my actual job.

Gyre posted:

Signed up. I always wanted to get into FFTactics, but the PSP version runs super slow (I remember Cure's animation taking forever) and the PS version has a terrible translation. Is there any fan version that combines the best of both worlds?
I'm using Final Fantasy Tactics Complete v0.5. I'll leave it at that and your googling, as any further discussion runs the risk of drifting into :filez:.

EvilUrchin
Jun 13, 2007

Hmm, since everyone and their brother is apparently jumping on the White Mage train, would switching be an option Poisonous Mushroom? If not that's cool, I'm fine with what I initially went with. Might wanna change my preferred job to Lancer though if I may.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Good to see Colon V didn't die a horrible death. I'm aboard the murder train, may I live up to my name.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm using Final Fantasy Tactics Complete v0.5. I'll leave it at that and your googling, as any further discussion runs the risk of drifting into :filez:.

Googling that indirectly led me to a patch that fixes the slowdown in WOTL, so thanks a bunch!

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Aishlinn the Thief Signing in. I have a keen interest in this game, for reasons that may be obvious. Good luck, you crazy bastard.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
My name is alcharagia and I am a Hydra.

Ygmir
Jan 27, 2012

Ygmir the Bard reporting in.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Super Jay Mann the Lancer

I will rule the skies.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!
Signed up as LordNad the motherfucking ninja who prefers to throw poo poo to attacking. The more rare/expensive the item the better. Get excalibur? Better be able to equip that poo poo before LordNad throws it at someone.

LordNad fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 8, 2014

Sushipants
Sep 8, 2010
Registered for some man-punching as Sushipants the Monk. Pretty hyped for this playthrough, since I never actually finished the game before I broke my PSP.

For reals though, I really want my dude to punch no fewer than 50 chocobos to death. Lets make it happen!

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!
Signed up as Geomancer. I loved this game as a kid but just really don't have the time to get back into it anymore, so I'll be reliving my childhood through this.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Put in for Ciaphas the ChemistMediator because gently caress me if I can remember what other jobs are dedicated to guns, if any. :commissar:

(if there's some other job that's more gun dedicated change my application to that, thanks)

bonus points for any "inspirational" friendly fire said character can get away with

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 8, 2014

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Orator/Mediator is a gun-oriented job too, but I think that's about it.

Signed up for a Mage, because spells are cool. Always spellslinging, even when its not really that efficient.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Dragonatrix posted:

Orator/Mediator is a gun-oriented job too, but I think that's about it.

Signed up for a Mage, because spells are cool. Always spellslinging, even when its not really that efficient.

gently caress, I knew there was one. That's even more thematically appropriate given the job of a Commissar, too. Should I redo the application to say Mediator, Poison Mushroom, or does it matter?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

gently caress, I knew there was one. That's even more thematically appropriate given the job of a Commissar, too. Should I redo the application to say Mediator, Poison Mushroom, or does it matter?
I'll edit it for you.

EvilUrchin posted:

Hmm, since everyone and their brother is apparently jumping on the White Mage train, would switching be an option Poisonous Mushroom? If not that's cool, I'm fine with what I initially went with. Might wanna change my preferred job to Lancer though if I may.
Same here.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Signed up. Are you going for the optional dungeons and crap as well? I want to see how many fall to the Deep Dungeon and its horrors therein.

Dry Hump
Sep 14, 2013
Signed up as Dry Hump the Ahriman (or any floating eye type monster that you can get.)

Dry Hump fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 8, 2014

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Phenomenal. TravelLog the Samurai reporting for duty.

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013
Livewire42; bard, let's rock the house.

McGwee
May 1, 2012

I also signed up as a Geomancer because I actually like that job a lot.

That Irish Gal
Jul 8, 2012

Your existence amounts to nothing more than a goldfish swimming upriver.

PS: We are all actually cats
That Irish Guy the Knight, cause let's tank this poo poo up.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Signed up. Are you going for the optional dungeons and crap as well? I want to see how many fall to the Deep Dungeon and its horrors therein.
Probably as a kind of 'there, I beat the final boss, let's go back to the point-of-no-return save and see if we can actually beat the Dark Dungeon with our end-game party' thing.

Edit I'll probably be closing applications pretty soon here, at least for a while. This is filling up remarkably quickly, and I have no idea how long it will take me to burn through.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 8, 2014

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Man, I hope I squeeze in in time as an Oracle. Oracles are a drat good job, especially if they have to make due with their own skillset. Hard-hitting two-panel attack with sticks, Defense UP, and Life Drain makes them a really sturdy mage class. Life Drain will wreck bosses, and a million ways to incapacitate means almost any irritating enemy can be shut down. I didn't appreciate these guys until I did an Oracle SCC, and it was a ton of fun.

Edit: Oh, and they get Absorb Used MP as a reaction and Move-MP Up as movement, so they never run out of MP. Plus they can drain it from enemies. Oracles are great.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 8, 2014

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
Signed up as a bard, if your even willing to do that. Just go ahead and use Pud as the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Signed up as as Golden Goat the Monster. Though no specifics on what type of monster.

• Locked thread