Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
If you like movies like Easy Rider or American Graffiti then Two-Lane Blacktop is definitely worth a watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Also tedious and plodding. I'm not a fan.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Is Warren Oates the bad guy or what? I was never really sure.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
I hope Criterion (or, you know, anyone more legitimate than Alpha Video) releases Cockfighter.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Cacator posted:

Is Warren Oates the bad guy or what? I was never really sure.

I didn't think anyone was the bad guy. v:shobon:v

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

friendo55 posted:

Why must I go and do that? I've always heard how great the film is but it always stops there.

Because Richard Linklater says so:

http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/622-ten-sixteen-actually-reasons-i-lovetwo-lane-blacktop

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The only Criterions I've seen at Walmart are Armageddon, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and The Life Aquatic. Although, I saw Brazil and The Last Emperor turn up at a Target.

The local Walmart did carry all the new MST3K sets, plus a single-disc release of Zombie Nightmare. Which is kind of weird since I don't even see most Shout! Factory releases at Best Buy, let alone Walmart.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Two-Lane Blacktop is one of the few movies that can accurately be described as "hypnotic". It's tedium and nothingness eventually becomes enrapturing.

Love that movie.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!
Is there any chance of these failtards actually releasing the Eraserhead bluray before i commit suicide this year?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Two Worlds posted:

Is there any chance of these failtards actually releasing the Eraserhead bluray before i commit suicide this year?

If the only thing keeping you tied to this Earth is a Criterion bluray of Eraserhead then you may want to reexamine things.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blu-Ray.com on A Hard Day's Night

Alliance Atlantis:

Criterion:

Also, Janus Films has a page up on the theatrical screenings next month

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 2, 2014

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Uhhg, that grain kills it for me.

I had the same problem with Night of the Hunter on BluRay. I got a headache and felt a little sick after watching that.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

DevCore posted:

Uhhg, that grain kills it for me.

I had the same problem with Night of the Hunter on BluRay. I got a headache and felt a little sick after watching that.
You can change your TV setting to be less sharp, that should help somewhat.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Yeah, that's a sign the sharpness and contrast are probably out of whack. This is a pretty healthy level of film grain. The Night of the Hunter was also scanned from the original negative.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
Finally finished the whole Zatoichi boxed set.

Great series. There are some peaks and valleys but overall good. Nothing ground breaking but always enjoyable. Like I said before, each film will have a few moments or shots where you are like "whoa!".

I think it waned a little towards the end. Partly because the formula was completely spent by then and any change or alteration felt shoe-horned in. The series is basically a "who's who" of great Japanese actors and each one gets spotted in at least one of the films.

The packaging is great. The essays are "meh". The gold extras are on the last disc. One involves a documentary where they follow Katsu around and you can see him get really tanked and make an rear end of himself for like 10 minutes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Do the bluray releases get the same essays that previously released DVDs do? I found the leaflet in The Life Aquatic's bluray pretty anemic to the books in most of the others I have.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Detective No. 27 posted:

Do the bluray releases get the same essays that previously released DVDs do? I found the leaflet in The Life Aquatic's bluray pretty anemic to the books in most of the others I have.

They usually do. That's unfortunate. Maybe they just used the one from the DVD a while back, and that one was bare too?

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

How likely is it that Criterion or someone else will ever release any (older) Jacques Rivette films for North America?

edit: mainly wish I could get my hands on Celine and Julie or Duelle... :(

Mercaptopropyl fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 4, 2014

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Another Costco had it's a mad... world and a few of the criterion noir films like 39 steps so it seems that selection varies.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Does anyone have any remote speculation on Chungking Express on bluray? I am super super broke and it's one of my favorite movies but it is out of print so I could probably flip it for a lot.

One would think this could definitely get repressed or is the license dead and gone with no chance of coming back.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

soggybagel posted:

Does anyone have any remote speculation on Chungking Express on bluray? I am super super broke and it's one of my favorite movies but it is out of print so I could probably flip it for a lot.

One would think this could definitely get repressed or is the license dead and gone with no chance of coming back.

It was licensed from Miramax before they signed the distribution deal with Lionsgate.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Anyone hear any word yet about when the BN sale might be starting?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

robix smash posted:

If it's like the last 4+ years, the second week of July should be a good bet.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006

robix smash posted:

Oh god, time to start saving.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

In this case, it is the same as the DVD. However, totally worth getting for the new master.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Woooo. Cross post from the BR mega-deal thread. Thought I would share, I've been watching this release for a while and this is the cheapest I have seen it.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 8, 2014

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
From charts it's also apparently one of their top sellers. That may be partly recent due to the new movie, but it would be neat if they went after some other kaiju movies.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
That would be sweet. Here is one you might not be familiar with that is cheap on Amazon.

Daimajin

It comes with 3 movies. The first two are great...3rd one not so much. It basically combines Kaiju with feudal Japan. I doubt Criterion would go to far into the Kaiju genre though. The original Godzilla was a few milestones and a strong message about the atomic bomb.

Edit: Its stands up to the test of time better because of when it takes place. So no random dance club scenes with surf rock and horrible dancing.

Favorabilis Solitud fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 8, 2014

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

Edit: Its stands up to the test of time better because of when it takes place. So no random dance club scenes with surf rock and horrible dancing.

You talking poo poo about Godzilla Vs. Hedorah, m8?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Actually, Criterion has one other daikaiju film in its catalogue, the reasonably obscure The X from Outer Space. It's easily the worst film on the "When Horror Came to Shochiku" Boxset, which otherwise has the totally amazing, beyond bizarre The Living Skeleton, Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell, and Genocide.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Back in their laserdisc days, they announced releases for nearly all of the Ishiro Honda Godzilla films but they were cancelled.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Slate Action posted:

If it's like the last 4+ years, the second week of July should be a good bet.

Barnes and Noble is doing 40 percent off on all blurays right now, so this is a good couple months to pick some up.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Apparently a Barnes & Noble employee (?) recently posted this online. I cannot confirm its accuracy.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 11, 2014

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice
Looks like Criterion are giving up on the Dual-Format releases starting with the September titles.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did anybody really have to "make room" for a case that was the same size as the other cases?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

In my experience, the dual-format was forcing me to make room for wider digipak cases(Tokyo Story, Nashville, Tess, Foreign Correspondent, Fantastic Mr. Fox) that would have been the thinner plastic cases if they weren't dual format.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 14, 2014

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The dual format boxes look the same size as the two disc digipacks they used for DVD like The Third Man and Breathless.

Kind of a pity, but it was odd for them to still put out DVD only editions.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I liked it since I use my Blu Ray player in my living room, but sometimes I watch stuff on my laptop which only plays DVD.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Pappyland posted:

Looks like Criterion are giving up on the Dual-Format releases starting with the September titles.

That's disappointing. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I must admit it came in handy when my mom wanted to see Liv & Ingmar but otherwise I loving hated the dual-format releases. Hallelujah, I say.