Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
It's the most wonderful time of the year, when the networks are on summer hiatus and I get to catch up on all the full-season shows piled up on my DVR. We binged through Hannibal Season 2 in a week, holy hell did that give me nightmares! Now we're nearly done with The Good Wife. I am overdosing on awesome TV and I LOVE IT!

Now that I have some room on my DVR, are there any decent shows on this summer to try out? We gave up early in Season 1 of Under the Dome and Extant looks mediocre but we'll probably give it a few episodes. Any word on Tyrant on FX? Anything coming up on HBO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It also inadvertently started the trend of "Big Mystery" shows where crazy things happened that don't get explained right away. Then the show gets canceled and they don't get explained ever.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

VorpalBunny posted:

Now that I have some room on my DVR, are there any decent shows on this summer to try out? We gave up early in Season 1 of Under the Dome and Extant looks mediocre but we'll probably give it a few episodes. Any word on Tyrant on FX? Anything coming up on HBO?

HBO has The Leftovers starting soon. That one is about a world where 2% of the population has vanished and what happens to the people left behind.

Also FX has The Strain starting July 19th. Its based on the book series of the same name and is by Guillermo del Toro and Carlton Cuse. Its about a CDC scientist played by Corey Stoll and a vampire invasion of NYC.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Deadpool posted:

I loved Lost, and it's finale. So if you do or don't like me, I'm sure that's solely the reason why. I think the only bad thing about Lost was that it caused people to overanalyze a lot of shows that followed to the point that for a long time it poisoned discussion about TV. People started to think everything was a mystery to be solved and saw things that weren't there. I think we're just now getting to the point where people are finally learning that's not the case. But that's not really Lost's fault so much as it's the fault of crazy fans.
I don't agree with you on some things but they are so small and insignificant. This though, I agree with you and anyone else who has actual common sense should as well.

It took me a few months after the fact to really sink it in the mysteries meant jack poo poo compared to what the characters did when they took it all in.

muscles like this? posted:

It also inadvertently started the trend of "Big Mystery" shows where crazy things happened that don't get explained right away. Then the show gets canceled and they don't get explained ever.
Maybe because they were poo poo and people realized they didn't want to be stringed along if the characters were just there to make the plot work, explain it to us when it was allowed, and nothing else. Lost was pretty much a character show from the beginning to the end, and while people working on TV these days realized this eventually (Flashforward and The Event being the big offenders that failed to realize it), some fans still don't to this day.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

VorpalBunny posted:

It's the most wonderful time of the year, when the networks are on summer hiatus and I get to catch up on all the full-season shows piled up on my DVR. We binged through Hannibal Season 2 in a week, holy hell did that give me nightmares! Now we're nearly done with The Good Wife. I am overdosing on awesome TV and I LOVE IT!

The Good Wife is fantastic. I only started watching it because of the AV Club article saying it's the successor to The Wire. I wouldn't quite call it that but it's a really fun show that skewers lawyers, bitcoin, or really whatever they feel like that week. It's unfortunate that it has 22 episode seasons because it means a lot of filler, but I don't mind watching them all. Even Kalinda's husband.

Have you seen The Americans or Fargo?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah the "Big Mystery" shows that followed were largely terrible for reasons beyond their failure to solve those mysteries. I'm talking about shows like Surface, Persons Unknown, Threshold, Invasion, Flashforward, The Event, Alcatraz, V, The Nine, and so on and so on. All of those shows failed largely because there was no reason to care about anybody on them.

Were there any of those shows that could be considered a success? Fringe maybe. I don't know if I'd lump it in that pile. And while Jericho is one I would lump in that pile it didn't succeed for other reasons. There were several characters I cared about in that show. More than all those others I named combined.

X-O fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 8, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PERSONS UNKNOWN :argh:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, that should be a future mod challenge right there. gently caress that show. That was really bad TV

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I actually had to google that one. Of the ones DP listed, except for The Nine and Persons Unknown, I had watched at least at some capacity or other. Must've been when I wasn't really paying attention to summer TV.

Hell I would like to say that even Revolution (RIP) was better than any of those "big mystery" shows. Or somehow they course corrected after the first 10 episodes which I thought were kinda poo poo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Deadpool posted:

Yeah, that should be a future mod challenge right there. gently caress that show. That was really bad TV

My "favorite" part of that show was how before it started NBC was saying how it was a complete story and then it ended on a stupid cliffhanger.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I loved Lost at the time and liked the finale just fine.

I also have never really had any desire to talk about it after it was over. "It's done."

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There was one about a group of kids that graduated high school together that I remember too. It kept going back and forth in time and they had a secret that threatened to tear them apart or something. It had a really simple and obvious name that I am blanking on for some reason.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Deadpool posted:

There was one about a group of kids that graduated high school together that I remember too. It kept going back and forth in time and they had a secret that threatened to tear them apart or something. It had a really simple and obvious name that I am blanking on for some reason.
I'm sure you could pitch this again today as long as the characters weren't insufferable like I'm guessing they were. Or were basically walking plot activation devices.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The good thing that came out of all those failures is now genre shows have moved in the other direction, making sure to actually get to the "good stuff" right away and actually answering mysteries early.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Deadpool posted:

Yeah the "Big Mystery" shows that followed were largely terrible for reasons beyond their failure to solve those mysteries.

Were there any of those shows that could be considered a success?

I think Supernatural, up through season 5 at least, fits the bill. A big, overreaching mystery that has a definitive backstory and reaches a satisfying conclusion.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The good thing that came out of all those failures is now genre shows have moved in the other direction, making sure to actually get to the "good stuff" right away and actually answering mysteries early.

I remember when people were saying this about Heroes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The dumb show I was thinking of a few posts ago was called Reunion. Lasted a whole 13 episodes. But it made me think of a show that I had tried to block from my mind. One that may have been worse than Persons Unknown. Does anyone remember the Fox show Vanished? Holy poo poo was that terrible. So bad they killed off the main character like six or seven episodes in because it was so lovely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06yNi3GpNgA

I think that was the worst of the Lost cash ins I ever watched.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't think I've heard of that show ever.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't think I've heard of that show ever.

You're very lucky. It wasn't good in the first place but it had a finale so bad that it retroactively made the entire series about ten times worse after the fact.

X-O fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 8, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Deadpool posted:

The dumb show I was thinking of a few posts ago was called Reunion. Lasted a whole 13 episodes. But it made me think of a show that I had tried to block from my mind. One that may have been worse than Persons Unknown. Does anyone remember the Fox show Vanished? Holy poo poo was that terrible. So bad they killed off the main character like six or seven episodes in because it was so lovely.

Oh poo poo, I think I just barely remember Reunion now. It's all coming back. I can't believe I watched that. Oh right, I'm sure they took like 8 episodes or something to finally get to the point and then it ended. It was pretty dumb.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sober posted:

Oh poo poo, I think I just barely remember Reunion now. It's all coming back. I can't believe I watched that. Oh right, I'm sure they took like 8 episodes or something to finally get to the point and then it ended. It was pretty dumb.

You can relive it now if you want! It's all on Youtube. Why you ask? Because nobody cares about copyright for something that bad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-GjhHRSxao

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yet someone cared enough to upload it?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Yet someone cared enough to upload it?

The principle of saving every loving thing ever will get people to save *anything*, no matter what it is.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Deadpool posted:

You can relive it now if you want! It's all on Youtube. Why you ask? Because nobody cares about copyright for something that bad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-GjhHRSxao
Oh wait, no, I misremembered, but there was another 4-all white male lead "big mystery" show around the same time during Lost that was equally crappy. I think it was supposed to be a thriller or something and completely took place all in the present. I think it was like one of the friends or something was convicted of murder or something huge (?) but for some reason everyone was hunting for the other three friends?

I think?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Boogaleeboo posted:

The principle of saving every loving thing ever will get people to save *anything*, no matter what it is.

There's someone, somewhere out there that has the complete series of Veritas: The Quest on a DVDR in a drawer. Just think about that for a moment.

Sober posted:

Oh wait, no, I misremembered, but there was another 4-all white male lead "big mystery" show around the same time during Lost that was equally crappy. I think it was supposed to be a thriller or something and completely took place all in the present. I think it was like one of the friends or something was convicted of murder or something huge (?) but for some reason everyone was hunting for the other three friends?

I think?

You may be thinking of Traveler, but I really liked that one for some reason.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Right, Traveler!

It took a bit too long to get to the point, also the cliffhanger ending (now that I've reminded myself about it on Wikipedia).

That was 2007. drat that was a long time ago now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just found out Halt and Catch Fire has Kerry Bishe in it and now I think I need to watch it.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Deadpool posted:

You never know who could be reading this thread. Maybe there's a person out there that we're looking at to be the next mod. Maybe that person is you.

:smuggo:

There's a show that aired that's basically Lost for kids. It's made by D.J. McHale, the same guy who made Are You Afraid of the Dark? It's called Flight 29 Down. It's short, but it's pretty good. Definitely worth a watch, I'd say.

Edit:

Season 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BTctdDbJRc

Season 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMcGNstfyZM

Ravane fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 8, 2014

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Mu Zeta posted:

Have you seen The Americans or Fargo?

Fargo is building up on the DVR so we can binge through it in a week. I had to delete the first season of The Americans due to no DVR space, same with season 2, so its on the list to stream once we run out of "live" shows to watch.

Sounds like this summer will be sparse. Which is nice, since I have to catch up on the latest season of Boardwalk Empire and we're only halfway through Breaking Bad.

Finding time to watch TV with 3 little kids in the house is tough!

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I watched the first half of the first episode of Halt and Catch Fire but I couldn't figure out why I was supposed to care about anything that was happening. Also, Lee Pace's character seems like a Don Draper knockoff.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So my cable's been going in and out for the last few days, which has given me the opportunity to re-watch some stuff that I hadn't taken a look at in years ... man, Wonderfalls gets kind of hosed-up at points, y'all. :stare:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah, and it only would've gotten more hosed up in the second and third seasons. There have only been four shows I've ever been legitimately sad to see cancelled--Wonderfalls, The Middleman, Bunheads and Don't Trust the Bitch in Apt.23--but Wonderfalls was the only one I wish I could have seen where it went. Fuller's plans for that show sounded loving amazing.

wikipedia posted:

*A new wax lion, one who was intact, would be introduced, who would advise Jaye against listening to what the original wax lion said.
*In the second season, Aaron would begin to worship his sister as a religious figure.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Deadpool posted:

I loved Lost, and it's finale. So if you do or don't like me, I'm sure that's solely the reason why. I think the only bad thing about Lost was that it caused people to overanalyze a lot of shows that followed to the point that for a long time it poisoned discussion about TV. People started to think everything was a mystery to be solved and saw things that weren't there. I think we're just now getting to the point where people are finally learning that's not the case. But that's not really Lost's fault so much as it's the fault of crazy fans.

That, and for years after Lost, even up to the present time, people seem to think there's some inherent superiority in heavily serialized shows, derisively referring to every other show on television as "procedurals" although I still can't get a straight answer out of anyone as to what the gently caress they define as a "procedural."

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 8, 2014

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

unlimited shrimp posted:

I watched the first half of the first episode of Halt and Catch Fire but I couldn't figure out why I was supposed to care about anything that was happening. Also, Lee Pace's character seems like a Don Draper knockoff.

It's not a very good pilot, every character is bad.

^I'm not going to try to rationalize it but it seems to me like serialized is better entertainment than whatever is non-serialized, save for comedies, but even then it can be better.

Fooz fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 8, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

raditts posted:

That, and for years after Lost, even up to the present time, people seem to think there's some inherent superiority in heavily serialized shows, derisively referring to every other show on television as "procedurals" although I still can't get a straight answer out of anyone as to what the gently caress they define as a "procedural."

A procedural is quite easy to define. It's a show (almost exclusively of the one hour drama variety) that pretty much follows the same formula every episode. They usually tie up the story in one episode so it's easy to jump into at any point. That's a procedural.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Sober posted:

I think?

That sounds familiar but the name escapes me too.

One that hasn't been mentioned is "Windfall" about a bunch of people that hit the same numbers on the lottery jackpot. For all I know it was cancelled before it even began because I don't remember seeing commercials for it after whenever it was supposed to premiere.

Deadpool posted:

A procedural is quite easy to define. It's a show (almost exclusively of the one hour drama variety) that pretty much follows the same formula every episode. They usually tie up the story in one episode so it's easy to jump into at any point. That's a procedural.

It's pretty stupid to just lump like 90% of the shows on television under one term like that, though. I've seen Law & Order and Person of Interest both referred to as procedurals and aside from being hour-long dramas, they have almost nothing in common.

Fooz posted:

^I'm not going to try to rationalize it but it seems to me like serialized is better entertainment than whatever is non-serialized, save for comedies, but even then it can be better.

I can think of at least a few shows whose stand-alone episodes are much better than the serialized ones. X-Files and Burn Notice immediately come to mind.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 8, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

raditts posted:

It's pretty stupid to just lump like 90% of the shows on television under one term like that, though. I've seen Law & Order and Person of Interest both referred to as procedurals and aside from being hour-long dramas, they have almost nothing in common.

Except a procedural doesn't say anything about specific content of the show. Just the formula. Kind of like single camera and multi camera sitcom describe the kind of show you're watching not the specific content of it. Procedural is fine to use to describe both Law & Order and Person of Interest.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I was just thinking about Wonderfalls the other day. Do any streaming services have it or do I have to track down dvds in order to watch it again?

Thinking about one Bryan Fuller show makes me want to watch the other ones as well. I never did finish Dead Like Me but I think I remember hearing that it wasn't as good in the second season. And Pushing Daisies was my favorite show at the time when I was watching it. I suppose I might as well watch one of those while I wait for more Hannibal.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He worked on Heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Jingleheimer posted:

I was just thinking about Wonderfalls the other day. Do any streaming services have it or do I have to track down dvds in order to watch it again?

Thinking about one Bryan Fuller show makes me want to watch the other ones as well. I never did finish Dead Like Me but I think I remember hearing that it wasn't as good in the second season. And Pushing Daisies was my favorite show at the time when I was watching it. I suppose I might as well watch one of those while I wait for more Hannibal.

Go for it, as long as you go in with the understanding that none of them have any kind of satisfying ending and you'll be upset at how they were unceremoniously killed off.

• Locked thread