Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Was your innocence taken by Maleficent?
Yes
No
I don't really remember, but my cornhole sure hurts.
View Results

• Locked thread
IllCamino
Oct 9, 2010

You poke 'em on!
If you haven't seen this article carelessly thrown around social networking feeds already, I've included a link to it below.

re·tard·ed
riˈtärdid
adjective
less advanced in mental, physical, or social development than is usual for one's age.

Am I nothing more than a callous and unfeeling rape enthusiast for thinking this article is retarded? For those of you who haven't seen this magical rapey Disney adventure, nobody gets raped. If anyone was raped it was the audience who was charged $12/ticket. I really just want some sort of validation that I'm not completely insane for thinking that the author of this article is reading way too far into a kid's movie. I've seen arguments in favor of this article suggesting that Disney is notorious for embedding "Wicked" undertones but honestly, what the gently caress? I saw the movie yesterday and I certainly didn't walk out of the theater only to have a PTSD induced seizure.

I skimmed through this author's list of "published" articles and she seems to have a strong desire to tell people what they need as the titles of her articles will show.

LINK TO ORIGINAL ARTICLE
http://lnk.nu/huffingtonpost.com/aca5.html

LINK TO CRAZY ARCHIVE
http://lnk.nu/huffingtonpost.com/aci8/

IllCamino fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

quote:

This originally appeared on Femamom.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010
lol women writer

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Tangled is about blonde privilege...

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

not another GoT thread,.......

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

The<i> Maleficent</i> Rape Scene That We Need to Talk About
you can't italics headers huffpost

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I liked Frozen,Wreck it Ralph, Tangled, but did not care for Princess and the Frog or Meet the Robinsons.

I'm on the fence about Bolt.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
I like how the actual concept of rape continues to be devalued. Some day someone will force themselves on women and it will be viewed morally in the same way stealing someone's lunch from the work fridge is. Then we will say that true female/sandwich equality has been obtained.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

Hayley Krischer is an award-winning writer and editor whose work has appeared in The New York Times, Parenting, Babble, iVillage, Organic Authority and more.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
cultural commentaryvis loving useless and anybody who dies it professionally are dead weight to society hth

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
respect my organic authority

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ilikedirt posted:

respect my organic authority

I am a respected writer for iVillage

rjsnyde
Nov 20, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The Taint Reaper posted:

I liked Frozen,Wreck it Ralph, Tangled, but did not care for Princess and the Frog or Meet the Robinsons.

I'm on the fence about Bolt.

Ralph was raped of his ability to get a medal by Felix. Frozen was two women, so I guess no rape there maybe the snowman did something.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
there is a lot of rape stuff on gbs lately and it makes me uncomfortable

rjsnyde
Nov 20, 2009

baw posted:

GBS is raping you of your comfort. We NEED to talk about this.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

baw posted:

nigga go outside if a forum makes u feel ANYTHING

Kirk Johnson
May 25, 2014

by Ralp

rjsnyde
Nov 20, 2009

^^^ The front teeth have fused together in the hopes of eventually escaping the mouth. Good progress so far.

I love how the comments on the article from actual rape survivors are shouted down by sjws

rjsnyde fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 8, 2014

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
You set everyone on fire around you. You wish hatred on newborn babies. You want to hide in an evil shell of darknesss where everything is black and no one can touch you. Or ever hurt you. They talk about walls on reality TV shows. Oh, you build walls -- they're walls of thorns with armed towering guards that will crush any man who tries to approach it.

And though it sounds like a rape victim's story -- it's not.

if this is what people who are raped do, sign me up :twisted:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
symbolism? not in movies!!

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
Man SA should hire this chick for the front page

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Are all those huffington post writers who do articles about poo poo like their kid's stupid loving camp letter or being called fat on the subway actually paid by the huffington post? Or is it like being an SA mod, where they are just suckered into doing it for free?

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Ilikedirt posted:

nigga go outside if a forum makes u feel ANYTHING

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Cyber Bullying Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Walk Away From The Screen Like Nigga Close Your Eyes Haha

naem
May 29, 2011

Would

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
imagine if huffington post conned someone into writing an article about how casablanca is a metaphor for american involvement in world war 2. imagine how people would laugh and laugh at such an absurdity

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
i was rock hard through that scene so yeah i guess it was about rape

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Effectronica posted:

imagine if huffington post conned someone into writing an article about how casablanca is a metaphor for american involvement in world war 2. imagine how people would laugh and laugh at such an absurdity

Casablanca was specifically written to encourage American involvement in WWII. That's the opposite of a metaphor.

IllCamino
Oct 9, 2010

You poke 'em on!
Marvin gon' make everythang okay baby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spi9N4aSFdY

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
there is nothing at all sexual implied by a man and woman falling asleep while holding each other, while the intruding narrator explains that they're infatuated with one another, and there's nothing at all symbolic about cutting off wings. symbolism can only be done by writers people don't read!!!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Wasn't Maleficent the villain in sleeping beauty?

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
"Why my vagina is voting for Barack Obama" is a great title tbh.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Hobohemian posted:

Casablanca was specifically written to encourage American involvement in WWII. That's the opposite of a metaphor.

what? the point is that the film is not just an hour and a half of BUY WAR BONDS NOW, it has a plot and a story that use rick as a stand-in for america in general and the whole thing as a metaphor for americans abandoning isolation in favor of internationalism.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

Wasn't Maleficent the villain in sleeping beauty?

Nice it's almost like you watched the trailer for the new Summer Blockbuster, "Maleficent"

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
effectronica has the writer of this movie said anything about that scene being a rape allegory just curious

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Funnypost Collabo posted:

Nice it's almost like you watched the trailer for the new Summer Blockbuster, "Maleficent"

or, you know, I watched Sleeping Beauty as a kid. The distinction is hard to see, but it is there.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Effectronica posted:

what? the point is that the film is not just an hour and a half of BUY WAR BONDS NOW, it has a plot and a story that use rick as a stand-in for america in general and the whole thing as a metaphor for americans abandoning isolation in favor of internationalism.

It literally could not be more direct if Humphrey Bogart looked into the camera and said "Fight the loving Nazis America! gently caress yeah!". That's not what a metaphor is. Homer's "Rosy fingertips of dawn" is a metaphor for a sunrise. A man abandoning isolationism in favor of joining the fight, is not a metaphor for a man abandoning isolationism in favor of joining the fight.

Hobohemian fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 8, 2014

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
imo without some kind of expression of intent by the artist all these kinds of discussions are just people projecting their weird psychological issues or political beliefs onto poo poo especially when its something as low on nuance and artistry as a childrens movie

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ilikedirt posted:

effectronica has the writer of this movie said anything about that scene being a rape allegory just curious

that doesn't really matter, because scenes in movies like this are usually a collaboration between writer, director, editors, and actors. it's entirely possible that script, direction and editing, and performances collaborated to sexualize the violence and betrayal in a way that, say, woolverton (the writer) didn't intend. what does matter is that we have two people we are told outright desire each other, falling asleep in each other's arms, and then one betrays the other by mutilating them in their sleep. there's hardly a vast gulf between that and it being a symbolic rape.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ilikedirt posted:

imo without some kind of expression of intent by the artist all these kinds of discussions are just people projecting their weird psychological issues or political beliefs onto poo poo especially when its something as low on nuance and artistry as a childrens movie

Let me tell you about a little something called "death of the author" :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Hobohemian posted:

It literally could not be more direct if Humphrey Bogart looked into the camera and said "Fight the loving Nazis America! gently caress yeah!". That's not what a metaphor is. Homer's "Rosy fingertips of dawn" is a metaphor for a sunrise. A man abandoning isolationism in favor of joining the fight, is not a metaphor for a man abandoning isolationism in favor of joining the fight.

america is a single person? christ you're retarded. maybe you should go write for arianna huffington.

Ilikedirt posted:

movies only rarely have a single artist, nor are the creators of a movie intended for children to be able to watch going to come out and say yes or no to an interpretation like this.

• Locked thread