Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So this... actually works:

It was a little dark, so that's a burner miner feeding itself with 3 burner inserters feeding itself. There was a patch of 3 iron on a large coal deposit, and I just wanted to clean that little spot...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
autofeed the burner inserters with even more burner inserters :getin:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Samopsa posted:

autofeed the burner inserters with even more burner inserters :getin:

Unnecessary, one of the patch notes said that burner inserters will grab their own coal if available.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Much easier to run a burner miner to a conveyor, then have the burner-inserter take off the conveyor to feed directly into the miner. Two entity self-sufficiency, plenty of surplus.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Pre-electricity I always make a loop of 3-4* burner miners->wood box->burner inserter->burner miner as a (near)-perpetual coal-mining operation, and as the inserters only load coal into the miners when they run low and otherwise let the boxes fill, and insterters use so little power that a few lumps of coal will run them for hours, it will happily mine away forever. It actually saved my bacon in one game where my electric power briefly outstripped my electric mining ability and caused a blackout that I otherwise wouldn't have been able to get myself out of, because I had 4 full boxes of coal that I could reroute to the main coal conveyer.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Something I've noticed is that biters really loving hate radars. I had a relatively well-fortified base with some gaps in the walls and biters would zip right past my turret pillboxes and dirty polluting boilers/furnaces in order to eat my radars before doing anything else.

Could be worth abusing.

e: I'm guessing because they're classified as military buildings

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
SEAD Biters.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I made a 20MW power station:

The area with the wood is for the 'use accumulators before steam power' trick, and there are actually two separate electrical networks there. The top right/left are connected to the main power network, and the center/bottom is its own always on network (so the inserters will work even if the main network loses all power). Right/left halves of the main network are joined one tile above and 5 tiles right of wood box. The inserter below the wood box is on the main network, the inserter to the right is on the always-on network.

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

E: Better picture.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 9, 2014

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

President Ark posted:

Something I've noticed is that biters really loving hate radars. I had a relatively well-fortified base with some gaps in the walls and biters would zip right past my turret pillboxes and dirty polluting boilers/furnaces in order to eat my radars before doing anything else.

Could be worth abusing.

e: I'm guessing because they're classified as military buildings

The missions specifically point out that Biters Hate Radars

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Mom discovers one weird trick to make all your attacks come to the same spot!

Biters hate it!

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bitcoin bastard posted:

I made a 20MW power station:

The area with the wood is for the 'use accumulators before steam power' trick, and there are actually two separate electrical networks there. The top right/left are connected to the main power network, and the center/bottom is its own always on network (so the inserters will work even if the main network loses all power). Right/left halves of the main network are joined one tile above and 5 tiles right of wood box. The inserter below the wood box is on the main network, the inserter to the right is on the always-on network.

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

E: Better picture.

I just finished something similar.

first wing has 60 steam engines, expandable to 160.

So far I have been running 14 boilers into a tank, then tank into a straight line of 10 engines.

Is that any better or worse than other configs?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

I just finished something similar.

first wing has 60 steam engines, expandable to 160.

So far I have been running 14 boilers into a tank, then tank into a straight line of 10 engines.

Is that any better or worse than other configs?

As long as you have one pump dedicated to each 14/10 group, you don't need the tank.

Unibrow
May 12, 2001

Phobophilia posted:

Mom discovers one weird trick to make all your attacks come to the same spot!

Biters hate it!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Is that the right size for a bottom of the page forum banner?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Boogalo posted:

Is that the right size for a bottom of the page forum banner?

Exactly the same size.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
looks like it's perfect!

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I'll get the ad up tomorrow or the day after.

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

I bought Factorio a few days before Watch_dogs came out. Have been playing nothing but this since.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

The missions specifically point out that Biters Hate Radars

I was skimming the text and missed it explicitly stating it. :negative:

At least we got a funny gif out of my incompetence.

e: In other news, I'm nearing the end of my first playthrough and already thinking about what I'd do differently. This game I bussed pretty much every material; next time I think I'll only bus iron/copper/steel plates plus maybe gears and copper wires. Then have a wider bus with each of the primary materials (iron/copper/steel) on both sides of a belt or even two belts and have some gaps between sections to make it easier to split things off.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 9, 2014

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

President Ark posted:

I was skimming the text and missed it explicitly stating it. :negative:

At least we got a funny gif out of my incompetence.

e: In other news, I'm nearing the end of my first playthrough and already thinking about what I'd do differently. This game I bussed pretty much every material; next time I think I'll only bus iron/copper/steel plates plus maybe gears and copper wires. Then have a wider bus with each of the primary materials (iron/copper/steel) on both sides of a belt or even two belts and have some gaps between sections to make it easier to split things off.

That sounds good in theory, but in praxis you need massive amounts of spaces to logistic all the stuff everywhere you need it.

So yeah. Build your factories wider spaces. I mean, as soon as you get energy distribution you can start plonking down Energy - Factory - Factory - Energy instead of Energy - Factory - Energy.

e:
The new version runs horrible on my linux. The last worked like a charme...but now I run it at 10 fps. :negative:

Why..

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 9, 2014

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Question (which I can't test for myself right now): If a splitter has two inputs and two outputs, will it act as an equalizer that tries to divide the inputs across both output belts?

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

President Ark posted:

Question (which I can't test for myself right now): If a splitter has two inputs and two outputs, will it act as an equalizer that tries to divide the inputs across both output belts?

yup

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
So I started a new game and holy poo poo I started on an almost island. There's just a thin,as be eight wall wide, strip of land connecting me to the mainland. The space I have to expand in is enormous too. I share the island with a biter nest, though, so I'm not totally safe. But I'm drat close!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Deadmeat5150 posted:

So I started a new game and holy poo poo I started on an almost island. There's just a thin,as be eight wall wide, strip of land connecting me to the mainland. The space I have to expand in is enormous too. I share the island with a biter nest, though, so I'm not totally safe. But I'm drat close!

If it's still in the early stages (only nests and small biters, no worms) then I'd rush it early with a couple gun turrets and grenades so you can have the island to yourself.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So my area is safe, I have plenty of resources and power.

but getting artifacts is slow.

painfully slow. the biters spawn so fast that walking a laser-tower forward is barely a reward. I get maybe 30 artifacts from wiping an enemy base out. It takes probably 20-30 minutes to do it properly what with them being in the middle of the drat forest.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Make some poison capsules. Not only do they kill worms, they also destroy trees in a fairly large area. :ssh:

e: And again, grenades are surprisingly useful against lower-tier biter spawners - they instakill all small biters in a fairly large radius. Two of them will kill 90% of the small biters in the initial rush you get from approaching a nest.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 9, 2014

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Distraction capsules are great, they're just mini turrets that you can drop in a base. If I'm going on a serious hunting trip I carry hundreds with me. But now that I can have 44 companion bots and have all the lasers fully upgraded, I just have the maximum number of Destroyer bots following me and I can pretty much just walk through even the largest biter nests and destroy them without a second thought.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Haha oh wow my red science production was choking for the stupidest reason. I'd just upgraded my iron line to be express belts, and it turns out they move poo poo so fast that basic inserters can't grab them fast enough. That meant I wasn't making any gears.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think if you reach a point where you're pulling directly from or inserting directly onto express belts, you may be doing it wrong. I only use Express belts for moving goods across distances, once I need to actually use them, I usually split them off into multiple Fast belts.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
^^^ End game, I typically run 100% express belts except for a few old things that both (1) don't need it (2) I didn't have exp belts at the time I made it ^^^

My brother and I, too impatient to wait for multiplayer, started running a legacy game via play-by-email: I get an hour, he gets an hour, etc. It's pretty great :psyduck:ing over what the gently caress the other guy was thinking. I'm thinking about maybe setting up a PGS thread for a goon-game if anyone's interested? Would probably make a good replay if nothing else.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 9, 2014

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
The “express belts too fast for inserters” thing kind of takes care of itself: either the materials back up and solve the pick‐up issue or they don’t and it turns out you needed the speed of the fast belt anyway.

If your belts don’t dead‐end, you’re doing it wrong.

Evilreaver posted:

My brother and I, too impatient to wait for multiplayer, started running a legacy game via play-by-email: I get an hour, he gets an hour, etc. It's pretty great :psyduck:ing over what the gently caress the other guy was thinking. I'm thinking about maybe setting up a PGS thread for a goon-game if anyone's interested? Would probably make a good replay if nothing else.

That’s a great idea.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 9, 2014

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My belts dead-end unless I have a large number of things that can use it, then I loop the belt with a buffer-chest on each inserter. So its inserter-steelchest-inserter-assembler.

100% expressbelts and fast inserters. Everything has buffer chests. I think I probably have 48x4.16 landmines at any given time plus the resources to make another 2 chests worth backed up.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It would be super rad if roboports could deploy combat robots.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Renaissance Robot posted:

It would be super rad if roboports could deploy combat robots.

I would be so happy if that were the case.

Airframe + laser tower = destroyer bot. Have a shitload of those on auto-fab and being inserted into the robo port. I would fill the loving skies with them.

Oh god!

Bots that are just full of land mines! They beeline to a target and go BOOM and throw a bunch of landmines around when they explode! Oh jesus, the fun that could be had with automated destruction.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Building solar and accumulator arrays with construction bots and blueprints is the greatest thing, I can't believe I built my existing 400 panel array by hand.

I love not having to worry about walling myself in, I just sit back while all my little hover-dudes go plop things down :3:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
What's a good design and ratio of solar panels and accumulators, that is also compatible with the steam engine-smart inserter trick?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Deadmeat5150 posted:

You should share the map/save if you have a save near the start!

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Foehammer posted:

Building solar and accumulator arrays with construction bots and blueprints is the greatest thing, I can't believe I built my existing 400 panel array by hand.

I love not having to worry about walling myself in, I just sit back while all my little hover-dudes go plop things down :3:

I have put down 988 panels by hand...

I...have not experimented with blueprints for that...

I am apparently entirely retarded.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

UberJumper posted:

You should share the map/save if you have a save near the start!

I could just make an island for ya'all based on my map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlliterateAnimal
Apr 1, 2010

Find me a drum that
I might live again!

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

I could just make an island for ya'all based on my map?

Yes please!