Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

Fryhtaning posted:

Dope episode, lazy as hell writing.

Lazy writing: pretty sure more than 100 crows were killed if you counted (lulz Counting Crows), meh dialogue, and pretty much everything with Ygritte. I dunno if that was GRRM or HBO, but Jesus the ending with Ygritte was so uninspired and cliche.

But yeah, that was even more dope than Blackwater in the sheer epic factor.

Have to agree here. I think what made Blackwater fun to watch was the writing. There was some really good banter between Bronn and Tyrion, Tyrion and Joffrey...Tyrion's big speech. The scenes with Sansa and Cersei was fun to watch too. This battle's writing wasn't nearly as good, but the fighting was much crazier and better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
That was a thrill ride and I loved every second of it.

Question about the preview:
I can't make out what Mance says; it sounds something like "you're telling me mass manning Castle Black," but that doesn't make any sense.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Episode was cool. Count me as one of the few who cared about the Watch, I knew most of their names and thought they were all fun guys. Fight scenes throughout, with good pacing and actually showed the sense of threat on the wall.

Lighting was kind of muddy tho, and distinguishing one man from another was tricky, but I had a decent idea of who was being sliced open. The numbers game going on here didn't make sense though. That past four episodes have really been reinforcing that there "ARE ONLY 100 ON THE WALL" so now I guess there are only 10? Because even though they won, they got loving stomped. Incidentally, why were there so many men on the gate? There weren't many earlier in the ep, and then as the fight went on guys kept dying but there was somehow a constant battle going on down there. They only sent about 10 guys down there. Dialogue left a bit to be desired, but I liked the tunnel vow scene. That one worked. Death of Ygritte felt sloppy. Maybe if it took place somewhere more secluded. It doesn't make sense to drop into each others arms in the middle of a full on battle.

Oversights aside, solid ep. I liked how the wall was being given some real time, but am saddened to know it will go back to about 2 minutes per season again after this.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I love that smug little nod the kid gave at the end. Good job kid!

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
I couldn't tell who was killing who during the fight at the bottom of the wall, but ... what does it matter who was dying?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The episode wasn't really that dark on my TV.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Lol, several people said the same thing at our viewing party.

"Is that a bad guy?"

"I dunno, is he bald?"

"Well not all of the bad guys are bald.."

"Yea look at that wussy guy from the Crows, he's bald"

*everyone laughs*

"So I guess we're back up to the top for a minute again?"

"Nope, back down. Strike a manly pose and slash a few dudes."

And then it erupted into a spontaneous riff-fest.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Fancy Hat! posted:

Now I know why they killed Oberyn last episode because I was certain anyone of these characters was going to die and that it's all hopeless. I was on the edge of my seat all episode.

Seriously, last episode was a good of keeping me on the edge of my seat on this episode cause I expected the entire loving night's watch to die and for Gilly and Slynt to be sitting alone down there wondering what the gently caress.

Also the giants riding mammoths was awesome and I laughed pretty hard when even Jon Snow yelled "THOSE ARE GIANTS RIDING MAMMOTHS DOWN THERE"

Also the scythe anchor thing that brought a bunch of the wall down ontop of the wildlings was loving cool as poo poo

edit: OH yeah the long shot where the camera didn't pull away and you got to see the entire battle going on in the courtyard was awesome as hell. I love when shows or movies do that kind of thing

JakeLiebenow
Apr 21, 2013
Renaming my dick to The Scythe.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

EccoRaven posted:

That was a thrill ride and I loved every second of it.

Question about the preview:
I can't make out what Mance says; it sounds something like "you're telling me mass manning Castle Black," but that doesn't make any sense.

"We'll kill every last man in Castle Black."

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

The tracking shot along the courtyard (not Ghost-vision but the really smooth one) was amazingly well done. I thought that was just a gorgeously direct/edited/executed episode that had a real lack of good dialogue. It had some alright sequences, such as the opening one between Sam and Aemon and the one between Alliser and Jon at the top of the wall. But that said, an episode like this isn't really about the dialogue.

I enjoyed it a lot, but I also want to add that I am glad they generally contain big war/fighting sequences to an episode a season at most, because I find them a bit boring. Repetitive war/fighting sequences at the expense of competent dialogue and world-building is what ruins, like, the vast majority of what gets labeled as "fantasy" for me. For some reason, I don't mind when GoT does it. I guess it's just so rare and they set it up properly and make it fun.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Cheston posted:

"We'll kill every last man in Castle Black."

Thanks!

Time for the crows to take flight.

e: hearing it again I dunno how I struggled.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

King Bahamut posted:

The battle was great but it hit my same pet peeve as Helm's Deep where the good guys only have X dudes (and they say the number) but for action purposes get killed left and right. That was a 20 man garrison down there and I think Ygritte, Styr and Tormund killed, what, 75 dudes? I think there were more onscreen deaths than people in the night's watch

The nights watch are like the dothraki: as numerous as the plot dictates.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Did the wildlings start a giant forest fire and then retreat right into the forest fire at the end of the episode? Problem solved I guess.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Awesome moments in episode:
6) Gough's arrow
5) Ser Allister Thorne's inspirational speech in the courtyard before getting impaled
4) Motherfucking giants on motherfucking mammoths
3) WE ARE THE WATCHERS arrrghhhh
2) Let loose the hound!
1) Anchors away!

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Did the wildlings start a giant forest fire and then retreat right into the forest fire at the end of the episode? Problem solved I guess.

I was slightly confused about that myself. Then I thought about it for 5 seconds and realized they probably did that to ward off White Walkers. Also to have a place to quickly throw their dead? I mean I'm sure they have lots of experience in how to properly set up for WW attacks.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The Watch and the wildlings being indistinguishable from one another in the chaos needn't just be a failure of lighting/direction/costuming, it's also probably an intentional stylistic choice.

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.

Fryhtaning posted:

Dope episode, lazy as hell writing.

Lazy writing: pretty sure more than 100 crows were killed if you counted (lulz Counting Crows), meh dialogue, and pretty much everything with Ygritte. I dunno if that was GRRM or HBO, but Jesus the ending with Ygritte was so uninspired and cliche.

But yeah, that was even more dope than Blackwater in the sheer epic factor.

In the book she died off screen by who-know's arrow. Jon finds her corpse in the aftermath.

Tuco22
Jul 11, 2013

Ouzo On Ice posted:

Potato Dad sends his regards.

:golfclap:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I dont actually know, but I am guessing part of it is probably white walker worries yeah, but another party might be that a raging fire at their backs will give his men a lot more incentive to fight?

Like, they can retreat now, but not for long - ultimately its going to be do or die.

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

The fire was to signal the wildlings south of the wall. Remember a bunch of episodes ago Mance said the signal would be "the biggest fire the north has ever seen."

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
The "meh" factor that I've got with the episode is that it really seems like it should have been two 30 minute epic fights instead of one 60 minute fight that didn't make much sense.

The frontal and rear attacks didn't seem coordinated at all. Launching a scouting attack from the north and an all out do or die commitment of all their forces that could attack from the rear? It makes zero sense in a show that is usually pretty careful about making sense. Unless that was just some something a really crap hack writer threw in for some "we didn't really win" dialog without understanding that the line was a revelation that made everything in the episode make zero sense.

My guess is they were separate events in the books and that is what has the book reader panties in a knot. A surprise attack from the rear that got spoiled by archer girl not killing her boy toy, and then a frontal attack on the walls absurd fortifications when plan A failed.

It seems like they should have shot the episode where the rear force launched a sneak attack, and spent a good 20-30 minutes focused on a really pitched and bloody close quarters fight with a clear narrative, and capped it with archer girl getting killed. Then done a 5-10 minute lull where they did the character advancement stuff. Then Mance launches a "well gently caress, that didn't work" frontal assault that is mostly about the Night Watch using their hilarious murder devices, and when the smoke clears and the viewers think the Watch are invulnerable basses that easily and conclusively has driven them off, Snow drops the "that was just the scouting attack to see what defenses we've got and they outnumber us 1000 to 1 and we are basically hosed eventually" bomb.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

limeincoke posted:

I was slightly confused about that myself. Then I thought about it for 5 seconds and realized they probably did that to ward off White Walkers. Also to have a place to quickly throw their dead? I mean I'm sure they have lots of experience in how to properly set up for WW attacks.

It was a prearranged signal to the group n the south side of the wall to begin their attack if I remember correctly

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012

Brick Card posted:

In the book she died off screen by who-know's arrow. Jon finds her corpse in the aftermath.

Correction, he finds her dying. And he tries to reassure her that's everything will be okay, that maester Aemon will fix her up, and that's when she says "You know nothing, Jon Snow.". Basically they split the Jon/Ygritte scene with the Sam/Pyp scene, and the Jon/Ygritte came off worse for it.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

AKA Pseudonym posted:

It was a prearranged signal to the group n the south side of the wall to begin their attack if I remember correctly

The warg guy was their warning. No one saw the fire till after he told them it was time.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Brick Card posted:

No one loving cares.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Yeah but did she still get in a "you know nothin'"??

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

XyrlocShammypants posted:

The guys down below won, but I wouldn't say by the skin of their teeth since in the end they still had a few dozen (?) men left. I'm sure this is just a foreshadowing of the future, and I haven't read the books, so I am hopeful the real battle is on the way.

There's no chance in hell HBO would dedicate an entire episode to this battle if there was a bigger one just around the corner.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir
I wonder how Ghost knew who to kill?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Let's all take a minute in remembrance of the best Nights Watch storyline character and watch the best speech in the show again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XAk2hpuAQI

bob holness paradox
Aug 22, 2009

ceci n'est pas un presentateur

limeincoke posted:

The warg guy was their warning. No one saw the fire till after he told them it was time.

Gareth Keenan: How will we see your signal?
Mance: Send your eagle above the Wall every night. When it's time, I'm going to light the biggest fire the North has ever seen.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

IMB posted:

No one loving cares.

Whoa there cowboy. He was answering someone else's question about if the way Ygriette was handled was GRRM or HBO. Maybe you should read before getting so angry.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
this is the first epsidoes where the divergence from the book was absolutely without question a worse decision.

that said the execution of said bad decision was very good, i really loved that long cicle shot like 2/3rds through the episode, that was insanely impressive looking.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

this is the first epsidoes where the divergence from the book was absolutely without question a worse decision.

someone says this every week. nobody cares how the show deviated from the version you had in your mind when you read a terrible 1000 page fantasy door stop, ok?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

UndyingShadow posted:

I wonder how Ghost knew who to kill?
Ghost is a magical wolf.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

You guys are nuts that episode owned. Even loving Thorne owned.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Regy Rusty posted:

Seriously, there's no need to complain about how this episode was bad due to deviation from the books here. We're doing plenty of that in the Spoiler Thread. :v:

That said, it is appropriate to complain about the poor lighting because drat that poo poo was dark.

The only criticism that really strikes me as legitimate, not book-reading-aspie whining, is that there's not much in the way of plot advancement or character development. The Blackwater had some moderately important story bits as well as a more interesting cast of characters, this was more or less pure fight scene. It was nice to see Thorne get a moderately sympathetic portrayal even if Slynt gets reduced to a total caricature.

Krackleburt
Aug 24, 2008
I don't care what some of you guys say--that episode was fun as hell, and much needed after that traumatizing poo poo last week. :colbert:

Jon Snow's sword fight with that Thenn was fantastic. My only big problem with the episode is that the battle sort of wrapped up a little too quickly, but I guess that's what happens when the episode is only like 50 minutes long.

I can't believe we only have one episode left. This season just flew by for me.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
That episode was hardcore as gently caress and was awesome to watch, but I kinda get where the people who didn't like it are coming from when they say it didn't advance the plot much.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

The Insect Court posted:

The only criticism that really strikes me as legitimate, not book-reading-aspie whining, is that there's not much in the way of plot advancement or character development. The Blackwater had some moderately important story bits as well as a more interesting cast of characters, this was more or less pure fight scene. It was nice to see Thorne get a moderately sympathetic portrayal even if Slynt gets reduced to a total caricature.

Slynt's arguably even more of a total caricature in the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Slynt being one-dimensional is w/e. There's like a thousand characters, if all of them were as nuanced as Jaime or Theon the show would need to be fifty seasons long.

• Locked thread