Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

TwoPair posted:

On the upside this means that broadcasting rights to things like Justice League will be up for grabs (that's how that works right?) and maybe Cartoon Network can get a decent superhero show on the air again. :v:

Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it would depend on how long of a broadcast deal they signed up for and whether they either give up whatever rights window they have left or just sit on the DC shows and run the clock out. It's all up to the Saban people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Not to mention that Cartoon Network doesn't WANT to air DC shows - the CN leadership seems to hate and resent DC on the whole, if the fate DC Nation suffered is any indication.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I think it's more like they hate and resent DC shows that nobody watches, since Teen Titans Go is still both on the air and in prime time.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Watched by more than girls, you mean?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
TTG owns

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Watched by more than girls, you mean?

Girl or not, if anyone watched Beware the Batman then they made a mistake because that show was a giant ugly pile of poo poo.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

DoctorWhat posted:

Not to mention that Cartoon Network doesn't WANT to air DC shows - the CN leadership seems to hate and resent DC on the whole, if the fate DC Nation suffered is any indication.
They always seemed to hate DC stuff seeing how they screwed with the scheduling of stuff like JL back in the day.

They also decided to hate Gendy with the stuff they did to Samurai Jack :smith:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

achillesforever6 posted:

They always seemed to hate DC stuff seeing how they screwed with the scheduling of stuff like JL back in the day.

They also decided to hate Gendy with the stuff they did to Samurai Jack :smith:

I dunno, giving Genndy four seasons to do his avant-garde sci-fi art project seems pretty generous to me.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Maybe CN's execs just realize how terribly their corporate parents are managing the bulk of DC properties at the box office and know that trying to capitalize on that "success" is a fruitless endeavor.

"Head Office wants us to run a Green Lantern series, but...Ryan Reynolds? With that script?"

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 5, 2014

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

HorseRenoir posted:

I dunno, giving Genndy four seasons to do his avant-garde sci-fi art project seems pretty generous to me.

Looking back on it that show was pretty self-indulgent and I have no idea how it was even given the greenlight to begin with.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I never got into Samurai Jack, what all did CN do to it? Is that why Genndy left?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

ThermoPhysical posted:

I never got into Samurai Jack, what all did CN do to it? Is that why Genndy left?

CN didn't do anything to it; it had a decently long run but was never particularly successful. Genndy left to do more work in the film industry after Sym-Bionic Titan ended.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

HorseRenoir posted:

CN didn't do anything to it; it had a decently long run but was never particularly successful. Genndy left to do more work in the film industry after Sym-Bionic Titan ended.

Like storyboarding the action scenes for Iron Man 2, ie the worst Marvel movie.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

They gave it 4 seasons then cancelled it. It didn't get an ending.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Iron Man 2 was better than Iron Man 3

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gaunab posted:

Iron Man 2 was better than Iron Man 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDNmLPATW0s&t=9s

(I actually like Iron Man 2 but IM3 is way cooler imo)

VVV: Well now you're just being contrarian.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 5, 2014

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Spiderman 3 was better than Ironman 3

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

raditts posted:

They gave it 4 seasons then cancelled it. It didn't get an ending.

I heard that Genndy didn't really have an ending in mind when he was doing the show. If he did, he sure didn't seem interested in getting there.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The usual scuttlebutt is that he wanted it to end with a movie, which he didn't get after the flop of the PPG movie, so SJ didn't get the proper ending it deserved.

That said, if you like Samurai Jack, the current IDW comics series is both a nice read and visually interesting. It's worth checking out.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Are you dead loving serious.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The worst Marvel movie was Toy Story 2.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y9qGngsyA4

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
"Watch kids react to things!" *throws in a handful of teenagers for some reason*

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

What kind of dumbass kids don't know that Huey, Dewey, and Louie are Donald's nephews, not his kids.
Although I have always wondered what happened to their actual parents.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

raditts posted:

What kind of dumbass kids don't know that Huey, Dewey, and Louie are Donald's nephews, not his kids.
Although I have always wondered what happened to their actual parents.

http://goofy313g.free.fr.nyud.net/calisota_online/trees/ducktrees/myducktree.pdf

The Duck family tree is a complicated mess, friend.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

HorseRenoir posted:

I'm probably gonna get beaten for this, but I never really liked Tartakovsky, and honestly couldn't see the appeal of shows like Dexter's Lab and Samurai Jack.

Having said that, Sym-bionic Titan was awesome, and it's tragic that the one show he put out that I liked happened to get cancelled after one season.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Why would any kid born in like the last 18 years know how Donald and his nephews are related (and that's being generous assuming that for some reason they watched Quack Pack)?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

EasyEW posted:

I don't know of any other place to put this: Saban and CW are pulling the plug on the Vortexx block, which is going to be replaced by with what looks like lifestyle shows for teens. I never actually watched it (since I am horribly, horribly old) but unless something dramatic goes down, this marks the end of Saturday morning cartoons as we once knew them on American broadcast television. Inevitable, all things considered, but dammit, the world I grew up in is dead...

1. Saban still owns stuff? I thought he sold off all his properties over a decade ago?
2. There was still a Saturday Morning cartoon block? I thought those were killed...also a decade ago?

What did Vortexx consist of?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

axleblaze posted:

Why would any kid born in like the last 18 years know how Donald and his nephews are related (and that's being generous assuming that for some reason they watched Quack Pack)?

The same way anyone would know before Duck Tales? It's not as though Disney has entirely stopped showing classic shorts, and they at least play those Once / Twice Upon a Christmas specials to death every year. My kids know that and I've never even shown them Duck Tales.

Sockser posted:

http://goofy313g.free.fr/calisota_online/trees/ducktrees/myducktree/ (fixed the link for you)

The Duck family tree is a complicated mess, friend.

:stare: Huh, well.

Mr Interweb posted:

1. Saban still owns stuff? I thought he sold off all his properties over a decade ago?
2. There was still a Saturday Morning cartoon block? I thought those were killed...also a decade ago?

What did Vortexx consist of?

I think Vortexx consisted of reruns of Justice League, Dragonball Kai, Yugioh, and a couple other things you thought stopped showing on TV years ago. I think he bought back Power Rangers, too.

Didn't he go to prison or something at some point for some kind of shady dealings? I can't find anything about it with a quick google search but I could've sworn I remember hearing something like that in the mid-2000s.

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 9, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Eh, Disney hasn't exactly done much with Huey, Dewey and Louie lately. The most recent thing is Ducktales Remastered and people playing that game aren't young kids, they're adults who are getting a major nostalgia kick. In fact I think you'd be hard pressed to find a child today who knows who the Rescue Rangers or Darkwing Duck is, or what Tail Spin is or has ever heard of Bonkers or Gargoyles. Or know that the Gummie Bears were more than just a candy at one point. They rarely if ever show any of that poo poo on the Disney Channel nowadays. I can understand kids not knowing any of these characters beyond Mickey, Donald and Goofy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Eh, Disney hasn't exactly done much with Huey, Dewey and Louie lately. The most recent thing is Ducktales Remastered and people playing that game aren't young kids, they're adults who are getting a major nostalgia kick. In fact I think you'd be hard pressed to find a child today who knows who the Rescue Rangers or Darkwing Duck is, or what Tail Spin is or has ever heard of Bonkers or Gargoyles. Or know that the Gummie Bears were more than just a candy at one point. They rarely if ever show any of that poo poo on the Disney Channel nowadays. I can understand kids not knowing any of these characters beyond Mickey, Donald and Goofy.

Hell until the recent shorts they started putting in front of movies I'd wager a lot of kids would only know their voice/personality/etc from Disney Junior programming.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Macaluso posted:

Oh, I have no doubt that any kid born after the first half of the 90s has no clue about any of the Disney Afternoon shows or their original characters. I don't think it's completely ridiculous for them to recognize some of the older secondary characters though. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that Toon Disney / Disney XD went from being "the place where we show all the cartoons while we dump our lovely teen sitcoms on the flagship" to "the place we show reruns of all the lovely teen sitcoms from the flagship."

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

raditts posted:

I think Vortexx consisted of reruns of Justice League, Dragonball Kai, Yugioh, and a couple other things you thought stopped showing on TV years ago. I think he bought back Power Rangers, too.

Wow, that's actually not a pretty bad line up.

quote:

Didn't he go to prison or something at some point for some kind of shady dealings? I can't find anything about it with a quick google search but I could've sworn I remember hearing something like that in the mid-2000s.

Prison? I don't think so. The last I heard from him was that he sold all his assets in 2003 or something to work on some new broadcast company (or something to that effect) in Europe.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Since Y'all were discussing Scooby Doo a few pages back...

I wasn't ever really too hot on the original series, nor most of the billions of spinoffs, movies* and reboots that came after it. However, the most recent show on CN, Mystery Inc. is absolutely wonderful. It's funny, clever, well written, has a nice overarching plot, it's not only a good Scooby Doo, it's a good show period. I think it's in my top 5 for best shows currently on CN. Though there's a lot of episodes I need to catch up on. More of this please, and less of whatever was on Kids WB then moved to CN.

*Zombie Island and the Boo Brothers were pretty good, actually.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mr Interweb posted:

Since Y'all were discussing Scooby Doo a few pages back...

I wasn't ever really too hot on the original series, nor most of the billions of spinoffs, movies* and reboots that came after it. However, the most recent show on CN, Mystery Inc. is absolutely wonderful. It's funny, clever, well written, has a nice overarching plot, it's not only a good Scooby Doo, it's a good show period. I think it's in my top 5 for best shows currently on CN.

I've got bad news for you, pal.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

raditts posted:

I've got bad news for you, pal.

Well, this weekend just keeps getting better and better.

Fine, it's one of the best shows on CN that's aired in the past 5 years.

Happy?! :mad:

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jun 9, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Mr Interweb posted:

Well, this weekend continues to be massively disappointing.

Fine, it's one of the best shows on CN that's aired in the past 5 years.

Happy?! :mad:

If it makes you feel better, it ended - it wasn't just "cancelled", it ran its story out as planned.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

If it makes you feel better, it ended - it wasn't just "cancelled", it ran its story out as planned.

Well that's good to hear. Cause it definitely deserved to have a proper finale.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Is there a thread for superhero cartoons or do we just discuss that in here every so often? I had a friend introduce me to Young Justice and now I'm kinda looking to vent somewhere. I don't suppose someone can point me to the right thread :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goddamn do I hate Scooby Doo