Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just a quick weigh in - I use the STX with a pair of HD 800s and I've found it to be fantastic. I am looking around for a dac/amp stack for portability (once I recover from buying a big rear end TV) but I've used the STX for years without a hitch and zero noise interference while right next to a graphics card. My motherboard and power supply are pretty solid, though. I don't know if you might run into trouble with cheaper boards, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Just a quick weigh in - I use the STX with a pair of HD 800s and I've found it to be fantastic. I am looking around for a dac/amp stack for portability (once I recover from buying a big rear end TV) but I've used the STX for years without a hitch and zero noise interference while right next to a graphics card. My motherboard and power supply are pretty solid, though. I don't know if you might run into trouble with cheaper boards, etc.
Cheers. I'll be running brand new Z97 Asus Gene VII motherboard & an 80+Platinum Antec Earthwatts so they should be solid.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Welmu posted:

Thinking of buying a Xonar Essence STX headphone amplifier sound card & Sennheiser HD 650 headphones as well as a ModMic for gaming, music, and eventually the Oculus Rift.

I can purchase all these for 500€. Thoughts?

Incredulous Dylan posted:

stuff

Great setup. The Dolby Headphone is truly amazing for gaming. As in getting accused of cheating good for the positional audio.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Raikyn posted:

Is that rhetorical?
One of the main functions of a headphone stand seems to be to take pressure off the earpads so that can re-expand after beind smooshed against the sides of your head, and I couldn't tell if your bear was applying any pressure against the earpads.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Making for a funny picture is also a perfectly legitimate reason to use a plushie:

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I just got a set of Audio Technica M50x to try them out. I really like the sound, but my god are these things ugly and bulky. Is there a headphone out there that's got a sound similar to the M50 while being a little more portable (while still being circumaural sealed). I've got a set of Sony MDR-10r that are super slick looking and extremely portable but they definitely don't stack up to the M50x in terms of sound.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Just ordered a pair of Beyer dt990 pro 250s. I'm trying to figure out what to get in terms of amp/dac or potentially just a new sound card for my computer with a built in amp/dac. The xonar essence stx looks great but is a bit pricey, and I've seen some kinda mixed reviews about creative sound blaster z/zx/zxr.

I'm leaning towards a sound card over an amp/dac since the main purpose of the dt990's will be for use at my PC (gaming, music, movies etc), but not sure about spending $200.

Are there any other options soundcard-wise to consider, or should I just pony up and get the STX? I am not a huge audiophile, which is why I am wondering if the difference between the STX and something like the sound blaster z will even be noticeable. Might not be the place to ask, but figured I would throw it out there.

thehacker0 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 3, 2014

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I own the DT990 250 ohms (non-pro) and the sound is significantly improved by a good amp. Even the difference between my old AT-25 DAC/amp combo and my current Asgard was easy to hear. I would never hesitate to go with a USB DAC instead of a sound card.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I own the DT990 250 ohms (non-pro) and the sound is significantly improved by a good amp. Even the difference between my old AT-25 DAC/amp combo and my current Asgard was easy to hear. I would never hesitate to go with a USB DAC instead of a sound card.

Well the reason I am leaning towards a sound card, specifically the xonar essence stx or the sound blaster z/zx/zxr is that they have a DAC and amp supporting well over 250 ohms (have read reviews/tests). I may get an amp/DAC later on, but since I would only be using them with my desktop, it seems pointless to spend money on a USB DAC alone for basically the same price as a sound card with it's own DAC/amp.

Do you have any experience with the DT990 and sound quality on a PC with motherboard vs a discrete sound card?

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
There's an article over at Tom's Hardware that basically states there is little difference between DACs ranging from $2 to $2000. That's a bit of a simplification but read there for their methodology and conclusions. The DAC included on your motherboard should basically be fine if it is a board made in the last few years (I believe anything with built in Realtek HD audio etc), but they provide information on the chip you can use to check. You buy an STX for the amp (swappable chips!), sound processing (dolby, etc) and output functionality if that is your thing. It drives my HD 800s perfectly well and I rarely raise volume above 40% on the highest gain setting. I do have to say that until I got these, I used a pair of 598s and loved the virtual 7.1. It really is a fantastic solution for headphones that don't prominently feature a great soundstage. When I got these cans, I moved it all over to stock since the processing was painfully obvious on them.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 3, 2014

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Please help me find a pair of headphones to pull double duty for mixing (durable & swivel cups) and extended listening (light & comfortable). If those two sets of features are mutually exclusive I guess I'll have to buy two different headphones.

Budget - $300-$400.
Source - iPhone / iPad / turntables & mixer.
Isolation Requirements - None.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Supra-aural or circumaural.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced.
Past Headphones - Sony MDR-700DJs. I loved the sound and build quality, but they weren't comfortable for extended listening.
Preferred Music - Electronic music & hip hop.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

thehacker0 posted:

Well the reason I am leaning towards a sound card, specifically the xonar essence stx or the sound blaster z/zx/zxr is that they have a DAC and amp supporting well over 250 ohms (have read reviews/tests). I may get an amp/DAC later on, but since I would only be using them with my desktop, it seems pointless to spend money on a USB DAC alone for basically the same price as a sound card with it's own DAC/amp.

Do you have any experience with the DT990 and sound quality on a PC with motherboard vs a discrete sound card?

No, I moved all my audio gear external years ago, sorry. Clearly I haven't kept up on audio cards.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
Are there are any sealed bluetooth headphones worth mentioning? I ride a packed subway to work everyday and my cord has been getting snagged quite a bit. I need something that leaks zero sound so I don't annoy people and would prefer noise canceling to remove the hum of the subway

NicelyNice fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 5, 2014

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

NicelyNice posted:

Are there are any sealed bluetooth headphones worth mentioning? I ride a packed subway to work everyday and my cord has been getting snagged quite a bit. I need something that leaks zero sound so I don't annoy people and would prefer noise canceling to remove the hum of the subway

If they still make the UE9000 they may fit the bill.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Does anyone know whether you can run high impedance headphones on a Xonar DX soundcard? I'm wondering because I've just gotten me some cheap MDR-V55 from Sony and the output volume's set to 9% only and it's already slightly more than loud enough. So I'm wondering if you can drive headphones that'd need an amplifier.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I'm looking for something fairly portable to replace my lost set of Apple Earbuds (yuck) to use when I'm on the move.

One really dumb consideration is that I need the housing on the jack to be pretty slim as it needs to fit into the space on my iPhone case which is only a couple of mm wider diameter than the socket. Although I guess I could use an adapter...

Budget - Ł80-140

Source - iPhone 5 / iPad and MacBook Pro

Isolation Requirements - Yes

Preferred Type of Headphone - I haven't yet tried IEMs that I find comfortable, but I'm ideally looking for something that's at least semi-portable.

Preferred Tonal Balance - I have a really broad taste in music so I'd prefer balanced.

Past Headphones - I have some some Sennheiser 558s (? That's from memory so may not be quite right) which I love but they're definitely 'at home' headphones. Also some Senn 201s which I use when travelling and in the office - decent budget cans for when they might take a beating.
To be honest I've been quite happy with the Apple Earbuds but I lost my pair and I want to get something better, with more isolation ideally.

Preferred Music - Rock, Metal, Electronic, Folk, Jazz, Classical, World music ... basically anything really.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Budget: <$50

Source: Various android devices

Isolation Requirements: Yes (though it doesn't have to be incredibly isolating)

Preferred Type of Headphone: IEM

Preferred Tonal Balance: balanced mostly

I really am looking for the decent and cheap and available locally in Target or Best Buy. These are going to be used while exercising, cutting the grass, washing the car. So, I want something that I'm not going to be too heartbroken about if I destroy. I previously had a set of JVC Marshmallows that served me well for 6 years but I got their cord caught when I was cleaning the car last weekend and broke the cable internally.

I already have a set of TDK BA200 that I really like for more serious listening.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Does anyone know whether you can run high impedance headphones on a Xonar DX soundcard? I'm wondering because I've just gotten me some cheap MDR-V55 from Sony and the output volume's set to 9% only and it's already slightly more than loud enough. So I'm wondering if you can drive headphones that'd need an amplifier.

The V55s are only a 40 ohm impedance headset, just about anything on the market should be able to drive them comfortably.

That said, I wouldn't go too crazy with the DX as it doesn't have a built-in amp

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Oh okay. I thought, given the fuzz made on release of the Xonar series in regards to those big rear end opamps, that the card had an amplifier.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

ineptmule posted:

I'm looking for something fairly portable to replace my lost set of Apple Earbuds (yuck) to use when I'm on the move.

One really dumb consideration is that I need the housing on the jack to be pretty slim as it needs to fit into the space on my iPhone case which is only a couple of mm wider diameter than the socket. Although I guess I could use an adapter...

Budget - £80-140

Source - iPhone 5 / iPad and MacBook Pro

Isolation Requirements - Yes

Preferred Type of Headphone - I haven't yet tried IEMs that I find comfortable, but I'm ideally looking for something that's at least semi-portable.

Preferred Tonal Balance - I have a really broad taste in music so I'd prefer balanced.

Past Headphones - I have some some Sennheiser 558s (? That's from memory so may not be quite right) which I love but they're definitely 'at home' headphones. Also some Senn 201s which I use when travelling and in the office - decent budget cans for when they might take a beating.
To be honest I've been quite happy with the Apple Earbuds but I lost my pair and I want to get something better, with more isolation ideally.

Preferred Music - Rock, Metal, Electronic, Folk, Jazz, Classical, World music ... basically anything really.

Klipsch s4? Mine are pretty comfortable and you can usually score a deal if you look around

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh okay. I thought, given the fuzz made on release of the Xonar series in regards to those big rear end opamps, that the card had an amplifier.

The DG, DGX and Phoebus are the models that have headphone amps. The DX doesn't

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Budget: <$50

Source: Various android devices

Isolation Requirements: Yes (though it doesn't have to be incredibly isolating)

Preferred Type of Headphone: IEM

Preferred Tonal Balance: balanced mostly

I really am looking for the decent and cheap and available locally in Target or Best Buy. These are going to be used while exercising, cutting the grass, washing the car. So, I want something that I'm not going to be too heartbroken about if I destroy. I previously had a set of JVC Marshmallows that served me well for 6 years but I got their cord caught when I was cleaning the car last weekend and broke the cable internally.

I already have a set of TDK BA200 that I really like for more serious listening.

Maybe these.
http://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-Noise-Isolation-Earphones-Earbuds-Headphone/dp/B00ISL3PPU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

NicelyNice posted:

http://r.ebay.com/VDeJic

Best Bluetooth noise canceling headphones I've found. Logitech doesn't sell them any more they were over $400 when they sold them. They work very well on flights and have a little button on the left can that allows you to hear when the noise cancellation is active (to talk to the flight attendant, etc). You never have to take them off.

$209 shipped for these is a great deal. I love mine. Yes they are authentic. We have two sets and both were brand new.

The sound is really incredible as well.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Fire Safety Doug posted:

AEG K-702 – Good reviews, good looks, but maybe these need a separate amp?

Sennheiser Momentum – These were pretty high on my list previously but the price seems steep, plus I don't know if they are ideal for home use.

Thanks in advance for any help!
I have the AKG K701 and they have a wide soundstage (compared to my, in comparison, more closer & upfront Sennheiser HD600). They do benefit from amping, but they are superb cans, as is the HD600. I also have a pair of the 'on ears' Sennheiser Momentums (there is also the 'over ears' model) and they are my use-all-the-time phones (do a lot of travelling through work). The Momentums have the top end rolled off so they are easier on the hearing, but you might not care for the lack of sparkle (we use Senn HD25-1 ii at work and they don't have the rolled off treble and my ears can't take listening with them for any length of time). Momentums also sound good when amped as well, plus they're closed 'phones so you don't annoy anyone else around you.

Either headphone is comfortable. The K701s also don't clamp my head like the Senn HD600 does.

Home headphone amp: Darkvoice THA332
Portable music player: iBasso DX50

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

I want to buy a pair of headphones for my sister for her birthday. I was going to get her a turntable and some records but I think she'd get just as much of a kick of out these. This will be for listening to music at the library or at home - not for out and about.

Budget: $100

Source: iPhone, iPad, Macbook

Isolation Requirements: Preferably

Preferred Type of Headphone: Circumaural

Preferred Tonal Balance: balanced (her favorite bands are The Beatles and Cake)

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Do the retro looks of the Grado SR60 suit her personality? I can imagine Cake would sound good through them.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Call of Cholula posted:

I want to buy a pair of headphones for my sister for her birthday. I was going to get her a turntable and some records but I think she'd get just as much of a kick of out these. This will be for listening to music at the library or at home - not for out and about.

I'd say Eddiewalker's suggestion or the old standby Sennheiser HD555 (circumaural, relatively balanced, no isolation)

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

Do the retro looks of the Grado SR60 suit her personality? I can imagine Cake would sound good through them.

They're a bit too open for library use, everyone will hear them.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Call of Cholula posted:

Sony MDR-7506

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
How would K701s be for someone coming off of lower-end open Audio Technicas? I like the soundstage and how "mellow" the ATs are, but their fit is super loose and they're starting to fall apart a bit, so its upgrade time.

Budget: $350-400 with amp (recommend me some amps)

Source: PC, phone when traveling

Isolation: None

Preferred Type: full-sized

Tone: I like the soundstage of my ATH-AD300s, but they are lacking on bass and could be better overall.
I listen to a lot of acoustic folk, bluegrass, blues, classic rock, some classical and jazz. I will also be playing PC games at a competitive level using these.

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 9, 2014

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Horizontal Tree posted:

How would K701s be for someone coming off of lower-end open Audio Technicas? I like the soundstage and how "mellow" the ATs are, but their fit is super loose and they're starting to fall apart a bit, so its upgrade time.

Budget: $350-400 with amp (recommend me some amps)

Source: PC, phone when traveling

Isolation: None

Preferred Type: full-sized

Tone: I like the soundstage of my ATH-AD300s, but they are lacking on bass and could be better overall.
I listen to a lot of acoustic folk, bluegrass, blues, classic rock, some classical and jazz. I will also be playing PC games at a competitive level using these.

Ad900 was where I moved to after the Ad700. It adds bass while maintaining the soundstage.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I should have just outright said, I don't want another pair of Audio-Technica's. I love the sound, but I hate the fit and their stupid headband system.

Obviously leaning towards the K701's at the moment, unless anyone has alternatives. I mostly need a suggestion for a decently priced amp and/or dac, since I've heard the K701's really like one.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Have you tried the rubber band mod? If you still hate them, what are you doing with the AD300 when you upgrade?

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I've tried the rubber band mod. I'm probably just going to shelve these, and/or rarely use them with my laptop. They're starting to fall apart (cable taped where it enters the earcup, plastic broken on one of the earcups, so it rotates too much, etc) and I have a pair of closed Shures for travel. It's definitely upgrade time, and I like the aesthetics of the K701 and have been told they should suit my style, but I need an amp with them. I considered HD600s but they'd be stretching budget with an amp.

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 9, 2014

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Shame they are falling apart, I would have purchased them! I love the AT wing technology!

As for the K701, they seem to be rather polarizing. They aren't said to have the best comfort or bass that you might want either.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

:duckie:Caprisun Major:duckie:
I'd go for Sennheiser 598. If you don't like the looks then AKG K612 Pro or K702. The headband for the K701 and Q701 are torture devices. The 70x series have a ridiculous soundstage, but it was probably too wide for my uses. Certain songs would seem unbalanced or off in some way and it would be distracting.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I'm not looking for a ton of bass, but a little bit "more" than what I'm getting from these AT's.
I do also really like the AKG's aesthetically.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Following up on my earlier post, I ended up getting the Philips Fidelio X1s over Q701s mainly because they were described as a more "fun", bassy and easier to drive. I'm happy with them so far but to be honest with you, with the extent of my headphone experience I would be happy with just about anything decent.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
The Philips Fidelio X1 look nice too. Anyone have input on them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Leaf Lock posted:

I'd go for Sennheiser 598. If you don't like the looks then AKG K612 Pro or K702. The headband for the K701 and Q701 are torture devices. The 70x series have a ridiculous soundstage, but it was probably too wide for my uses. Certain songs would seem unbalanced or off in some way and it would be distracting.

I actually think my Q701's are some of the most comfortable headphones I have—pretty on par with the K550's. Maybe it's because I have a huge head?

That said, I don't think anyone goes to the 700 series AKG's for bass (even if it's just a little bit more that you want.) I think the X1's would probably be a better choice in that regard. And they still looks very nice.