Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Fooz posted:

^I'm not going to try to rationalize it but it seems to me like serialized is better entertainment than whatever is non-serialized, save for comedies, but even then it can be better.

I think this is kind of silly, almost as silly as the idea that multi-camera shows are inherently worse or less deserving of respect than single-cam. There are strengths and weaknesses to both formats. Homicide: Life on the Street got pretty serialized beginning with its third season, and it's my favorite show of all time, but Law & Order is right behind it.

raditts posted:

It's pretty stupid to just lump like 90% of the shows on television under one term like that, though. I've seen Law & Order and Person of Interest both referred to as procedurals and aside from being hour-long dramas, they have almost nothing in common.

Just think about the meaning of the word: "Procedure." As in, the episodes, with rare or infrequent exceptions, follow a standard formula. For example, Law & Order: First half-hour is catching the criminal, second half-hour is prosecuting him. Flipping over to comedies, episodes of Frasier involve Frasier chasing a woman or getting a hare-brained idea in his mind, everything going south and at the end he's commiserating with his family. Seinfeld: Everyone is an rear end in a top hat and everything goes south in some way or another by the end.

If the episodes of a show follow a formula, it's a procedural. That's not a criticism, just the way it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Timby posted:

If the episodes of a show follow a formula, it's a procedural. That's not a criticism, just the way it is.

Yes, I understand that, but much like single-cam vs. multi-cam, those aspects are only ever brought up to paint the show in question in a negative light. It's a term that applies to so many different kinds of shows that it's pretty meaningless to even bring it up for any other reason.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Deadpool posted:

Except a procedural doesn't say anything about specific content of the show. Just the formula. Kind of like single camera and multi camera sitcom describe the kind of show you're watching not the specific content of it. Procedural is fine to use to describe both Law & Order and Person of Interest.

Yeah, for example, L&O is a crime procedural, the procedural label only refers to the structure. eg we are introduced to the crime, the detectives investigate, wrong suspect 1-3 are brought in, real suspect is caught, court room segment, if it's SVU throw in some gross police misconduct just world bullshit, and doink doink.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just started a True Detective marathon. Watching it for the first time!

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

raditts posted:

Yes, I understand that, but much like single-cam vs. multi-cam, those aspects are only ever brought up to paint the show in question in a negative light. It's a term that applies to so many different kinds of shows that it's pretty meaningless to even bring it up for any other reason.
TV Fans are the worst (when I'm not talking about gamers). Even nearly all heavily serialized dramas are typically "formulaic" if we want to be exact. If we want to be precise, all television is episodic, which means a story has to be told in every episode and naturally concludes by the end of it (even if you hit a cliffhanger/to be continued).

I mean, every drat story is basically inciting incident -> conflict/complication -> resolution. (i.e. 3-act structure)

It's just that "procedurals" mean that the weekly story rarely ties into the whole larger thing (or very rarely). It's a dumb term to throw around pejoratively these days but it is. Especially with the rise of DVD sets/Netflix/Cable TV means that viewers won't miss a thing and that the people crafting these stories can weave other elements together, and with the rise of cable channels being the "home of prestige dramas" somehow makes serial storytelling "better."

I mean if we look at Person of Interest as a recent example, the show is formulaic: number (case)-of the week comes up, heroes go to investigate what's up, trip up a few times along the way but make sense of it all, and they get the bad guy. But if you look at the latest season, nearly all the cases-of-the-week basically tie into the central mythology and main season arc of the show. Does this make POI procedural or serial then? This is probably one of the reasons why it's even hard to get "hardcore serial TV watching nerds" to watch POI; they'll ask why you recommend them "typical CBS procedural schlock" and then judge your moral character. But if you recommend them something on Showtime/HBO/AMC they will probably gobble that poo poo up really quick without asking.

I mean if we go to some of the heavy hitters as well:

LOST: who's the character of the week and what do they want to accomplish? -> they try to get it done, but people along the way try to tell them otherwise -> it gets done (or doesn't) and we see the aftermath.

The Americans: Philip and Elizabeth get told they have to do something this week -> they go about trying to figure out the best way to steal intel/kidnap someone/use their assets as the other side responds in kind -> it gets done (or doesn't) and either the FBI or KGB shake their fists in anger.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Except that procedural is a term almost exclusively used to describe a formula that deals with some kind of case solving on a week by week basis. Lost would not be a procedural under the most common use. A show like Supernatural on the other hand would though. Having a set formula doesn't automatically make it a procedural. I wouldn't consider a show like Big Bang Theory or Modern Family a procedural even though almost every episode follows the same formula.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Oh, procedural is really just more predictable than anything else. Especially when compounded with "it's a cop/doctor/lawyer solving things every week" show.

I'm just more ticked off by people who assume "serial drama" means that "omg they break the conventions of storytelling" when in fact they really don't and despite being ":tviv: SERIAL BALLS TO THE WALL CLIFFHANGER OMG CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT JUST HAPPENED :tviv:" most serial shows' episodes are still essentially self-contained stories; they just involve other things (character development, mythology, etc.) that means they are slightly tougher to just pick up from that spot but aren't exactly dropping you into the middle of poo poo you don't entirely understand.

Except maybe occasionally Game of Thrones does that poo poo, and an episode becomes a literal series of vignettes (like last week's was for the most part). Which I guess people conflate into "all serial dramas are this".

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Deadpool posted:

Except that procedural is a term almost exclusively used to describe a formula that deals with some kind of case solving on a week by week basis. Lost would not be a procedural under the most common use. A show like Supernatural on the other hand would though. Having a set formula doesn't automatically make it a procedural. I wouldn't consider a show like Big Bang Theory or Modern Family a procedural even though almost every episode follows the same formula.

Supernatural used to be a procedural, when they were hunting a different monster every week. But now it's just garbled mess of things that won't be solved for seasons on end.

Procedurals, when used in a negative light, refer to crime and police procedurals which the television market is saturated with. That doesn't correlate with the quality of the show, merely the genericness of the genre. Networks love procedurals because they're risk free. You can cancel them at any time, there's always an audience, and they're cost-effective.

They're very predictable and are usually full of B and C level storylines.

And people say that A La Carte television will destroy the industry. No, it's risk free shows and Nielsen ratings that have already destroyed the market.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

great photoshop or greatest photoshop?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Ravane posted:

Supernatural used to be a procedural, when they were hunting a different monster every week. But now it's just garbled mess of things that won't be solved for seasons on end.

The same thing happened to Warehouse 13. They replaced charming artifact-of-the-week stories with a convoluted and repetitive metaplot, turning once fun character into weeping sacks of tiresome angst ("a bloo bloo, I just killed gay Steve" "a bloo bloo, my comatose sister is evil!" "a bloo bloo, Myka's cancer is making me question my mortality"). The shame of it is this is exactly what goons were clamoring for back in season 2 because they're too dumb to know they shouldn't gently caress with a good thing.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Sober posted:

great photoshop or greatest photoshop?

Someone needs to somehow make a gif of Luigi punting the Ghost Dog from that game.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Rectify:

Huh, didn't see that coming.

Count me in as one of the 8 people who watch this.

Fooz fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 8, 2014

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Rectify is good and the first season is on Netflix! it's only 6 episodes! Watch it!

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Hey guys, I'm glad this thread is back. After doing the week to week thing for the first five episodes of Orphan Black this season, I've decided to wait until they're all released and binge at the end of the season. This weekly wait thing is killing me. Netflix (and all the streaming services) has completely ruined the way I watch TV.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

cool kids inc. posted:

Hey guys, I'm glad this thread is back. After doing the week to week thing for the first five episodes of Orphan Black this season, I've decided to wait until they're all released and binge at the end of the season. This weekly wait thing is killing me. Netflix (and all the streaming services) has completely ruined the way I watch TV.
The only way to feel better is to start watching more TV on a week-to-week basis :getin:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
If you're watching the Tony Awards, or even if you're not watching them, do yourself a favor and follow Bobby Cannavale (@bobbycanavale) on Twitter right now. He's watching the Tonys like a hardcore football fan watches the Sunday games.

quote:

@bobbycannavale: ANYBODY left who DOESNT know what the gently caress Le Miz is about?

@bobbycannavale: jesus

@bobbycannavale: Song should be called "LOOK HOW LOUD I CAN SING"

@bobbycannavale: Tell ya what? They can't do ANY of that poo poo without Local 1. #unions #TonyAwards

Motherfucker needs to hurry up and get back on my TV screen. I know he's got that music industry show with Scorsese and Terry Winter, how much longer on that?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Another great season of VEEP! That scene in the bathroom was perfection.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
If I was the type of person who made photo blogs I would love to make one dedicated to instances of TV shows trying to make old characters look young in a flashback by slapping a wig on them and shooting it in soft-focus, because it's always hilarious.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zaggitz posted:

Rectify is good and the first season is on Netflix! it's only 6 episodes! Watch it!

Everyone should do this!

Also I forgot we have two Veeps this week. That's excellent news.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
John Oliver really knows how to use that HBO money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lKYPp2Kp6s

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Brandon Nowalk over at AV Club calling that kid in last night's Game of Thrones "the Kenard of Westeros" gave me a big laugh.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

John Oliver really knows how to use that HBO money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lKYPp2Kp6s

The thing is, while John was talking about Assad's iTunes purchases I thought that if I was one of the musicians, I'd do exactly that. And then they did.

Also, that piece John did about FIFA should be required watching for anyone who's interested in the World Cup. Everyone I know, including me, is going to watch it, and yet FIFA as an organization is so despicable that it makes me question my own sanity.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DominoDancing posted:

Everyone I know, including me, is going to watch it, and yet FIFA as an organization is so despicable that it makes me question my own sanity.

By this point, is there any network/organization that this sentence doesn’t describe?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Rik Mayall has died
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-27770266
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKfbSHW9uGA

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I have only just now started paying attention to Veep. I'm gonna have to watch it from the start, aren't I?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just binged it over the last couple of days. It's really pretty hilarious.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Veep's great especially because seasons are so short. 8 half-hour episodes means only the strongest material stays in.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

FactsAreUseless posted:

Veep's great especially because seasons are so short. 8 half-hour episodes means only the strongest material stays in.

"What were you bobble heads doing while I was just getting ear hosed by father time?"

Oh Selina. :allears:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"It's like trying to explain Supertramp to a Komodo dragon."
"I don't know what any of those words mean!"

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Crossposting from the CC Megathread: Comedy Central gives the second season of Review five stars.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kumail Nanjiani is doing a podcast where he recaps every X-Files episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think one of my favorite Review moments was in the first episode. Its the scene where he's going to rehab and he's talking about how great cocaine is and how you shouldn't trust him later on. He writes "Liar" on a piece of paper, draws an arrow and then holds it up. Then when they cut back to the studio Forest is talking about how horrible cocaine is with a screencap of him in the car and the arrow is pointing right at him.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Holy poo poo thank you. It's hosed up but awesome.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Review is great all the way thru, but Pancakes, Divorce, Pancakes is Emmy-quality television and makes all the other episodes pale in comparison. As glad as I am to have a 2nd season, I can't imagine anything topping that.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Kumail Nanjiani is doing a podcast where he recaps every X-Files episode.

Kumail's great on Harmontown because he counterbalances Harmon's windbaggery, but I can't imagine he'd be that good hosting a show by himself. And, really, in the time it would take to listen to that podcast, couldn't I just watch the episodes he's talking about? What's the point?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hey, did you hear that clink? Sounds like somebody dropped a penny on a railroad track, which can only mean that :siren:The 2014 TV IV Awards are around the corner!:siren:

We've got a few new categories -- most of them refurbished favorites -- and the potential for many more! But before we do any of that, we need a pool of candidates to vote from! So if you'll please direct your attention to The "For Your Consideration" Survey, kindly hosted by Annakie... I'm not gonna lie, it's a little more intimidating than I'd like, but don't worry about filling out the whole thing or trying to remember every single piece of good TV you saw this year in the span of twenty minutes. You can submit this form as many times as you want, so just bookmark the ballot, pop in whenever you think of something, submit, and then when you think of something else, come on back. You've got plenty of time; I'm not forging ahead with the nomination vote until the last week of June at the earliest.

I'll make one more post in here when the proper TV IV Awards thread goes up. Beyond that, I'm sure a lot of people would rather let Couch Chat be Couch Chat, so I'll respect that.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Whoa, that's unexpected. Powers TV series officially greenlit on the Playstation network. Thought FX was developing a second pilot, guess they sat on it for too long. Exclusive to Playstation Network in the US, it sounds like - most pirated show of 2015?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 10, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Probably. And it won't be too hard

quote:

internationally, Sony Pictures TV will be selling the rights to broadcasters.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Yeah it sounds like a bad idea to stick it behind a paywall for not really being "premium" (I mean, it's a comic book quality).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Every company with TV/movie studios has this vision of their monthly subscription service becoming a competitor with Netflix. Think of how much Amazon Prime had evolved since its original purpose. Sony and Microsoft attempting the same model isn't surprising.

• Locked thread