Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

There's a lot of build diversity with weapon, trait, and utility skill choices even if it's assumed that everyone is all berserker all the time. PvE isn't any worse for not valuing vitality and healing power or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's only a thing if you give a poo poo what pubbies/James Quall think. There are so many amazing builds that can be a ton of fun and super effective too, using different stat combos.

What PvE content do you do that has unavoidable damage which needs T/V/HP?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

^^^^ Uh, what?

Of course it's subjective, I'm just saying there are more options for fun than just zerker. I never said you weren't allowed to have fun as zerker. It's good to encourage other choices. I know I have a ton of fun not using zerker stats.

As for the second part, are you actually saying that there are no effective stat combos outside zerker? Because haha poo poo.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

As for the second part, are you actually saying that there are no effective stat combos outside zerker? Because haha poo poo.

There are no effective stat combos, in PvE, outside zerker. I can complete every fractal with autoattack; that doesn't make it effective.

Just because you can take an extra 30 minutes and still finish the dungeon, having "more fun", doesn't mean you should go around telling every new player at every opportunity that they should can do so if they want.

Nobody cares if you're the equivalent of a roleplaying fire ele who never switches attunements but still runs dungeons. It's a game, do what you want. We're just confused why you have to try to convert other people every 3 pages.

tirinal fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 9, 2014

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

tirinal posted:

Just because you can take an extra 30 minutes and still finish the dungeon, having "more fun", doesn't mean you should go around telling every new player at every loving opportunity that they should can do so if they want.

Holy poo poo, is this a real post? Are you being serious here?

People can and should play whatever they loving want, however they want, and be encouraged at every point to have fun doing so. No one should tell others how to play, ever. Talking down to someone for wanting to play something other than zerker is just mindblowing, I sure hope you're not in SFD.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Does this mean it's ok to say that I created a ranger yesterday? :shobon:

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Telling someone to play however they want and telling someone that it's effective are two different things.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Batham posted:

Telling someone to play however they want and telling someone that it's effective are two different things.

There are effective non-zerker builds.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Basically the only thing that doesn't really work in PVE are conditions because they will be overwritten constantly. Berserker tends to be fastest because of how the game works but it's not the only thing that works. You could beat dungeons in whites if you know how to play.

SFD npc armor dungeon night?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh my loving god I love you Arus but if I have to read this loving argument AGAIN I'm going to scream

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Oh my loving god I love you Arus but if I have to read this loving argument AGAIN I'm going to scream

Agreed, but it shouldn't even be an argument, because it's loving insane that certain people don't think there are any effective builds outside berserker. And it's even more insane that I'm literally being poo poo on for encouraging new players to try different stats to find the most fun one.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

CLAM DOWN posted:

Agreed, but it shouldn't even be an argument, because it's loving insane that certain people don't think there are any effective builds outside berserker. And it's even more insane that I'm literally being poo poo on for encouraging new players to try different stats to find the most fun one.
There are other stats than zerker?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Thread, playing weird specs is fun for some people and we'd all rather have a smart "support ele" than a stupid zerk warrior.

Arus, berserker is the best in PvE.

Now everybody shut up and get back to talking about how GW2 is better than Wildstar.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
Not until everyone acknowledges that Celestial is the superior stat combo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Thread, playing weird specs is fun for some people and we'd all rather have a smart "support ele" than a stupid zerk warrior.

Arus, berserker is the best in PvE.

Now everybody shut up and get back to talking about how GW2 is better than Wildstar.

"Best" is a nebulous and pointless term :colbert: Just because it's not zerker doesn't make it a weird edge case spec that is there for amusement, there is plenty of usefulness. Maybe goon squad only does speedruns though!!!!!

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Holy poo poo, is this a real post? Are you being serious here?

People can and should play whatever they loving want, however they want, and be encouraged at every point to have fun doing so. No one should tell others how to play, ever. Talking down to someone for wanting to play something other than zerker is just mindblowing, I sure hope you're not in SFD.

I agree. Nobody should force their playstyle onto other people.

I was in a fractal 49 yesterday with an ele in clerics and a ranger in pvt before we finally figured it out on fractal 3 and kicked them. I had enough time for 3 timewarps on Mossman and the whole thing took almost 3 hours. I didn't quit because it was still faster than finding a new group and starting over. Kes and I were in a fractal 50 the day before that with an unload thief and some other retardation I forget, which made us wipe to fire shaman about 4 times.

If you exclusively run SFD groups, or if you announce your gear and tell every group how you will force your playstyle onto them and they say "sure", I assure you I don't care in the least how you enjoy your game. But you feeling persecuted because other people have preferences in group-based content is ridiculous.

Your proselytizing is tiring however, since people on a message board don't need your help knowing what's personally fun for them but are presumably here to actually learn about the game.

tirinal fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 10, 2014

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Fractals are fun and I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to spend more time doing them with a higher risk of failure.

Soda Addict
Apr 19, 2003
Insert Something Here

CLAM DOWN posted:

And it's even more insane that I'm literally being poo poo on for encouraging new players to try different stats to find the most fun one.

Honestly, for a game that isn't a massive hardcore min/max mmo, I thought one of the premises that Arenanet was promoting that there was really no wrong way to play GW2? or did that change all of a sudden?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

tirinal posted:

I was in a fractal 49 yesterday with an ele in clerics and a ranger in pvt before we finally figured it out on fractal 3 and kicked them. I had enough time for 3 timewarps on Mossman and the whole thing took almost 3 hours. I didn't quit because it was still faster than finding a new group and starting over. Kes and I were in a fractal 50 the day before that with an unload thief and some other retardation I forget, which made us wipe to fire shaman about 4 times.

If you exclusively run SFD groups, or if you announce your gear and tell every group that you will force your playstyle onto them and they say "sure", I assure you I don't care in the least how you enjoy your game.

Your proselytizing is tiring however, since people on a message board don't need your help knowing what's personally fun for them but are presumably here to actually learn about the game.

Jesus christ, you actually kick people out of your groups due to their gear/stat combo?

If you're going to post zerker supremacy poo poo, it's completely fair of me to post that people should try other combos to find one they like the most. It's not loving "proselytizing", holy poo poo man, it's just encouraging people to have fun however they want and not listen to hive mind berserker raving.

You are so irrationally upset that I'm encouraging people to try something other than zerker, I genuinely do not understand.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Best way to play GW2: condition guardian

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

Best way to play GW2: condition guardian

A party of 5 condition guardians. In a dungeon path that requires damaging structures/clown cars.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

tirinal posted:

If you exclusively run SFD groups, or if you announce your gear and tell every group how you will force your playstyle onto them and they say "sure", I assure you I don't care in the least how you enjoy your game. But you feeling persecuted because other people have preferences in group-based content is ridiculous.

maybe you should go play wow so you can stare at dps meters and pop a blood vessel over 2% less dps causing you to take 60 seconds longer on a trash group

edit: maybe if you had friends you wouldn't have to pug your elite level fractals

AggressivelyStupid fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 10, 2014

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I kick dreggon out of groups but that's because he's dreggon. It's not reflective on his gear.

But yeah dude. If you're a hardcore sperg maybe you should play wildstar. I hear they have attunements.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Oh god what have I done. I just miss being a healer sometimes! That's like one of a few complaints sitting on a pile of praise for the game.

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008

Soda Addict posted:

Honestly, for a game that isn't a massive hardcore min/max mmo, I thought one of the premises that Arenanet was promoting that there was really no wrong way to play GW2? or did that change all of a sudden?

Nope. You can wear anything and still be fine (and so will everyone else). This game isn't all that tough, so while wearing berserker will always be the quickest way to kill things, it honestly really doesn't matter. If someone actually cares that you aren't wearing zerker that person is trying way too hard at a game that doesn't require that much effort.

tirinal posted:

if you announce your gear and tell every group how you will force your playstyle onto them and they say "sure",

This is an insane person.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
He probably kicked them because, as most people wearing pvt or clerics in PvE, they were terrible players and were a roadblock forcing you to either cease the dungeon all together or ditch them and continue onward without them. In other words, people that have no place in fractals level 49 in the first place. 3 time warps on mossman, that's almost 7 minutes on one easy boss if you fire it the instant it comes of CD.

All of this is easy to avoid though; people who don't want to player the "zerker" mindset, don't join zerker groups. People who like the "zerker" mindset, don't join groups that aren't "zerker". Just announce what kind of a group your setting up and that's that. If people with a different mentality then decide to join you, they're a bigger jerk for joining than you for kicking them.

CLAM DOWN posted:

If you're going to post zerker supremacy poo poo, it's completely fair of me to post that people should try other combos to find one they like the most. It's not loving "proselytizing", holy poo poo man, it's just encouraging people to have fun however they want and not listen to hive mind berserker raving.

You should really quit this conversation at this point and listen to Goshawk. You sound as someone who can't cope with the fact that everyone's version of fun isn't always the most effective. Get over it and play however you want.

Batham fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 10, 2014

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Stats don't matter. Looking cool matters. Argument over. :colbert:

Also I can tell you if I ever get into a group with anybody and they start that poo poo of wanting to kick people over something as stupid as gear/stats, I will leave said group and go back to being awesome at dolyak races, because stats are just as worthless there as they are when you're stackfighting everything in a stupid dungeon no one really wants to do, but does anyways for money.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

As usual, Lonk is right :allears:

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

CLAM DOWN posted:

As usual, Lonk is right :allears:

Seconded.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Dick Trauma posted:

Does this mean it's ok to say that I created a ranger yesterday? :shobon:
I checked my min/max spreadsheets and it said it's only okay if you only spend 4.2 seconds every fire condition tick reviving your pet divided by the square root of your level normalized against the current TP spread for Octos.

I don't do dungeons or fractals any more so everybody here can eat it.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Senpai noticed my stats today~ :swoon:

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

nooo, cosmic fart emperor is dead :(

what's a good name, goons?

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
This is all a pointless argument because the pve in this game is loving terrible and only god awful spergs who don't know fun enjoy it. Just look at the post history in the thread of one of those "people": http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3575808&userid=110481

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

They probably weren't using the proper rotations.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
I don't know. I think you're reading more vitriol into what I wrote than there is.

I'm just tired. I spent three hours of my evening in a fractal with people who could have been carbon copies of cletus. I assume they were having more fun playing that way, but I wasn't. Sometimes it really is zero-sum.

In group content, we all force our playstyles onto other people. And while I don't care if hotw is 10 minutes longer or shorter as long as I can run it with cool people, in other content there should be some degree of self-awareness.

Play how you like, as long as the people you're with are okay with it. If they don't like it, find other people.

I just think it takes a certain degree of arrogance to assume it is other people's job to accommodate your playstyle if it gets in the way of theirs, and still more to preach it.

A well-played zerker does not diminish anyone else's enjoyment of the game. A well-played pvt could. Sometimes it's by 5 minutes and nobody gives a poo poo. Sometimes it's by 3 hours because of 3 out of 5 people wearing healing power.

Someone in pvt doesn't care how a partymember in zerkers plays, but the reverse is not always true. Why assume it is, or that they are unreasonable for having an opinion. Why tell new players "stats don't matter - everything is effective!" every time anyone mentions zerker.

tirinal fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 10, 2014

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Are fractals just random dungeons?

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

tirinal posted:

I don't know. I think you're reading more vitriol into what I wrote than there is.

I'm just tired. I spent three hours of my evening in a fractal with people who could have been carbon copies of cletus. I assume they were having more fun playing that way, but I wasn't. Sometimes it really is zero-sum.

In group content, we all force our playstyles onto other people. And while I don't care if hotw is 10 minutes longer or shorter as long as I can run it with cool people, in other content there should be some degree of self-awareness.

Play how you like, as long as the people you're with are okay with it. If they don't like it, find other people.

I just think it takes a certain degree of arrogance to assume it is other people's job to accommodate your playstyle if it gets in the way of theirs, and still more to preach it.

A well-played zerker does not diminish anyone else's enjoyment of the game. A well-played pvt could. Sometimes it's by 5 minutes and nobody gives a poo poo. Sometimes it's by 3 hours because of 3 out of 5 people wearing healing power.

Someone in pvt doesn't care how a partymember in zerkers plays, but the reverse is not always true. Why assume it is.
The only thing being diminished here is my ability to give a drat about what you are spewing.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Dick Trauma posted:

Are fractals just random dungeons?

Fractals are where Arus whips out his SAB boomboxes and instantly makes a terrible task tolerable.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Turncoat Mommy posted:

This is all a pointless argument because the pve in this game is loving terrible and only god awful spergs who don't know fun enjoy it. Just look at the post history in the thread of one of those "people": http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3575808&userid=110481

I scrolled past the avatars real fast like an old-timey cartoon. A+++

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

tirinal posted:

I spent three hours of my evening in a fractal with people who could have been carbon copies of cletus.

Are you saying Cletus is bad or good? I'd argue he's the worst at everything especially that Maelstrom quaggan guild mission.

tirinal posted:

A well-played zerker does not diminish anyone else's enjoyment of the game. A well-played pvt could.

tirinal posted:

Why tell new players "stats don't matter - everything is effective!" every time anyone mentions zerker.

Because you post bullshit like how someone elses stats actually affects your enjoyment of the game.

• Locked thread