Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
uh
This poll is closed.
embiid 41 32.28%
wiggins 86 67.72%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

big boi posted:

How do people know that Exum is good?

No one knows with any of them, but the reason people think he might be is that he has a good combination of size and quickness for the position and has dominated other prospects his age in international competitions and camps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Redgrendel2001 posted:

The Sixers have the former Hornets/now Pelicans #10 and every time I see "Hornets #9" I'm puzzled for a few seconds.

I'm just glad no one will call them Charlotte anymore. Even after 10 years in New Orleans, they would frequently be called the Charlotte Hornets.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
New 'frid-vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBILpE6wuMc

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Calling the Creighton defense "elite competition" is being uhhh, a little generous.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

MourningView posted:

No one knows with any of them, but the reason people think he might be is that he has a good combination of size and quickness for the position and has dominated other prospects his age in international competitions and camps.

Yeah, I meant "good" in the sense of "good draft prospect". Thanks though, I now understand.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Does Exum rhyme with "some" or "zoom"?

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
I've always head it said "X'em".

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I've read a ton of rumors the past couple of hours and have crafted some draft fan fiction mock draft based slightly on those rumors:

1. Cavs - Dante Exum; as we saw on the last page, they made a promise to Exum and they keep their promises.
2. Bucks - Wiggins; Bucks also promised to draft Exum but now that has fallen through so they just pick Wiggins because it the owner is big fan of Enders Game which apparently features a character named Wiggins (I haven't read it I don't know).
3. Sixers - Vonleh; for some reason Sixers news has been reporting that they will pass on Parker if he is available and Wiggins isn't and go with Vonleh so hey.
4. Magic - Marcus Smart; They see Embiid on the board but Mitch Kupchak walks past them in the green room and they don't want to gently caress with that. They also decide that since they worked Smart out twice he must be better than Parker who didn't work out for them at all.
5. Jazz - Parker; the Jazz like Embiid but decide that their needs at the wing are more glaring so go with this
6. Celtics - Aaron Gordon; the Celtics are about to pick Embiid but luckily Bill Simmons makes it to Ainge just in time to warn them that Embiid walks like an old man. They go with their rumored choice of Gordon instead.
7. Lakers - Embiid; Lakers need someone to back up Ryan Kelly and Robert Sacre in Mike Dunleavy's new offense so they decide to go with the best big man available
8. Timberwolves (via the Kings) - Doug McDermott; if he grows a beard he looks enough like Kevin Love at a distance that the Timberwolves are hoping nobody notices the replacement

I am just doing highlights from here since this is where all the good rumors, and otherwise it would just be me copying the yahoo mock draft, so I'll stop and continue with poo poo I've made up:

10. Thunder (via Sixers) - Dario Saric; I'm making up a Thabo to the Sixers trade for this pick. They draft Saric hoping he doesn't come over for a year to keep them out of the tax.
18. Lakers (via Suns) - Zach LaVine; Suns sell their draft pick for cash, Lakers take Lavine who was reportedly the guard that was most impressive in their workouts.
21. Cavs (via Thunder) - Jordair Jett; the most traded draft pick is traded again, to the Cavs, who gave the Thunder way too much for this pick (let your imagination go wild)
26. Rockets (via Heat) - Shabazzzzzzzzzzz Napier; Linsanity coming to south beach somehow, this is part of that deal
30. Mavs (via Spurs) - Johnny Manziel; tired of being spited by baseball, Cuban trades the Spurs a second round pick that is perfect for the unknown guy the Spurs planned on drafting anyway, and then Cuban drafts the most exciting cash money guy who reminds him of himself, Johnny Football.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think Exum ends up a Laker.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Hah well the Knicks have the Thunder's second round pick so I think they'll get Embiid with that.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

EvanTH posted:

Hah well the Knicks have the Thunder's second round pick so I think they'll get Embiid with that.

According to realgm's list, that pick went to Toronto as part of the Bargnani trade.

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

All NY has in the next 4 years are their 2015 and 2017 first rounds picks and maybe their 2016 second round pick depending on where it falls.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

big boi posted:

How do people know that Exum is good?

I feel like this happens every draft thread (and it's not you specifically or anything)

There's a reason why prospects are projected where they are, and if it doesn't seem like they have much going for them, it's either that they have those skills in abundance (i.e. Exum is really, really, really athletic) or GMs and scouts aren't weighing skillsets the same way that you personally (or collectively) are (i.e. Exum can't shoot but GMs figure they can teach that). It's impractical to figure out who will bust and who won't bust (except for Jan Vesely) and this is doubly hard in a loaded draft class. Just because you don't have a lot of tape on a guy doesn't mean he's a bad prospect, just like the inverse wouldn't be true.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

hard to take much away from that 'frid vid other than the fact that the other guys on ULL are so loving bad. it seems like every play was a 1 on 3 iso with no off ball movement

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

mynameisjohn posted:

hard to take much away from that 'frid vid other than the fact that the other guys on ULL are so loving bad. it seems like every play was a 1 on 3 iso with no off ball movement

It makes his numbers look better (after we adjust for his poo poo conference) when you take that into account, especially his assist numbers. It doesn't excuse his faults but it is encouraging

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Rick posted:

2. Bucks - Wiggins; Bucks also promised to draft Exum but now that has fallen through so they just pick Wiggins because it the owner is big fan of Enders Game which apparently features a character named Wiggins (I haven't read it I don't know).

This works better with the Jazz because every Jazz fan knows Andrew Wiggin. They've all read it.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

According to realgm's list, that pick went to Toronto as part of the Bargnani trade.

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

All NY has in the next 4 years are their 2015 and 2017 first rounds picks and maybe their 2016 second round pick depending on where it falls.

Hahah god dammit, I forgot, their actual 2nd rounder is with the Rockets. They sent Ronnie Brewer to OKC for the pick then gave it to Toronto.

Boooo James Dolan this draft is going to be upsetting to watch, broke kid outside the candy store

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Rick posted:

Is he though? Gordon and Vonleh seem to be moving up and Randle and Smart have the "NBA ready" tags which might be more along the lines of what the Kings and Lakers are looking for. I would imagine he probably doesn't slide past the Hornets but that's a big money drop which matters for a guy who needs to contribute to a buyout to come over.

"NBA ready" is just as much a pejorative though as it is a compliment in that case. "NBA ready" means that yes, they have more complete games/builds, but they also have lower ceilings as a result, whereas raw guys like Exum are seen as a freakishly athletic canvas for a coach to paint and make dance for money. It's the good old floor/ceiling argument, just with different terminology.

The Kings need guards more than frontcourt as a whole at this point, and a tall guard to go with Thomas would make sense. That's why Smart makes sense there too.

Lakers...who the gently caress knows. They might draft Randle and try to win now. They might take Exum and have him try to learn from Kobe. Everyone likes to think they're in win-now because of Kobe, but Kobe doesn't run that front office.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

TheGreyGhost posted:

"NBA ready" is just as much a pejorative though as it is a compliment in that case. "NBA ready" means that yes, they have more complete games/builds, but they also have lower ceilings as a result, whereas raw guys like Exum are seen as a freakishly athletic canvas for a coach to paint and make dance for money. It's the good old floor/ceiling argument, just with different terminology.

The Kings need guards more than frontcourt as a whole at this point, and a tall guard to go with Thomas would make sense. That's why Smart makes sense there too.

Lakers...who the gently caress knows. They might draft Randle and try to win now. They might take Exum and have him try to learn from Kobe. Everyone likes to think they're in win-now because of Kobe, but Kobe doesn't run that front office.

I'm really skeptical of the Lakers drafting any guard because the PF/C situation is dire. If Pau leaves, Ryan Kelly and Robert Sacre are the starting front court. I saw that starting front last year. They can't risk that happening again on purpose.

And the Lakers don't have their draft pick next year unless they're even worse next season than this season (a total possibility!), which is why they are in a sort of "win now" mode. I think it's more like "compete now" mode, though.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

TheGreyGhost posted:

The Kings frontcourt is a quantity not quality thing. Yes, technically they have enough guys to field a crowded rotation next season. But they are building for the future and have said they are looking for a good pairing for Cousins. The backcourt situation seems thin, but Thomas and McCallum are both young and can hold down the position pretty well. And the organization is high on McLemore. They reportedly still want to find another PG, but they seem to be obsessed with finding a pure passing PG (which makes no sense since Vasquez did not exactly light Sacramento on fire)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think I'm souring so heavily on Marcus SMart just because I can't take the mega-dullard version of the Laker fan "Byron Scott is going to turn Marcus Smart into Chris Paul, or maybe Kyrie Irving at worse" narrative.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Rule number 1 of the NBA draft is DO NOT DRAFT THE MAN LABELED "MOST NBA READY!!" He will be a bust or at very best, a mediocre player.

Rick posted:

I think I'm souring so heavily on Marcus SMart just because I can't take the mega-dullard version of the Laker fan "Byron Scott is going to turn Marcus Smart into Chris Paul, or maybe Kyrie Irving at worse" narrative.

Small player progression seems harder to pick than that of larger players. Maybe because little (in relative terms) guys are necessarily good athletes with lots of skills? So that making it work despite shortcomings seems to happen more often?

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 12, 2014

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Randle will need foot surgery after draft; will be out for ~2 months.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
~Rumor sites~ say GMs don't think it's an issue (or at least it's not why his stock is dropping). But Woj says that it might be why he falls out of the lottery. Is Woj as good at draft rumors (other than the dumbshit where he announces the pick 30 seconds early) as he is other rumors?

Rick fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 12, 2014

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Randle will need foot surgery after draft; will be out for ~2 months.

Woj just tweeted that his lottery status is up in the air now according to several GMs and that it's a "real issue." I can't imagine a scenario where he falls past the Sixers at 10, it'd be insane for him to even fall that low. Unrelated, but I'm also a fan of Draft Express' mock that has the Magic passing on Exum so the Celtics can take him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Inside Outside posted:

Woj just tweeted that his lottery status is up in the air now according to several GMs and that it's a "real issue." I can't imagine a scenario where he falls past the Sixers at 10, it'd be insane for him to even fall that low. Unrelated, but I'm also a fan of Draft Express' mock that has the Magic passing on Exum so the Celtics can take him.

That mock has Utah taking Vonleh and Hariston which is pretty much my dream draft so I chose to believe it.

Randle was falling a little bit anyway just because Gordon and Vonleh seem to have passed him on a lot of boards, but yeah it's hard to imagine him falling all the way out of the lottery.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kings are bringing in Hood for a workout. They've also brought in Harris, which makes me think they are considering trading down. The rumor is some kind of Dennis Schröder + #15 for #8 swap, which I wouldn't hate if we get Payne

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MourningView posted:

That mock has Utah taking Vonleh and Hariston which is pretty much my dream draft so I chose to believe it.

Randle was falling a little bit anyway just because Gordon and Vonleh seem to have passed him on a lot of boards, but yeah it's hard to imagine him falling all the way out of the lottery.

Is Vonleh going to be a PF at the next level or will they stick him at the 5?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Doltos posted:

Is Vonleh going to be a PF at the next level or will they stick him at the 5?

He can play either, but he'd be PF with Favors playing center. They view Favors as more of a 5 anyway.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

He can play either, but he'd be PF with Favors playing center. They view Favors as more of a 5 anyway.

No stop it you have Kanter leave Vonleh for someone else

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I like that draft too. I'm super biased towards Gordon but Randle seems like a nice fit for the Lakers too.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Speaking of stupid things the Cavs could do

CBS posted:

The Sixers actually have engaged the Cavs about moving to No. 1. They aren't willing to give up both the Nos. 3 and 10 picks, but a combination of No. 3 and Thaddeus Young is a possibility. And it's a great scenario for Wiggins, as well. Of the three top teams, his camp prefers the Sixers as the best possible fit.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WhyteRyce posted:

No stop it you have Kanter leave Vonleh for someone else

I don't think there's a pretty decent chance they don't extend Kanter.

chunkles posted:

They supposedly like Embiid more anyway so they're not losing anything and gain a decent player in Young. Bucks sound pretty locked in on Parker. And the Cavs reportedly had Parker as their top guy before lottery so even if the Bucks pass on him for Embiid they probably wouldn't be too broken up.

Other than Philly I don't think most teams view Wiggins as being as far ahead of the other two as everyone here seems to.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 12, 2014

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

chunkles posted:

If you don't think there is a huge separation between all 3 of the candidates, then moving back and picking up a veteran who can help your stupid owner win now is kind of a shrewd move. But then you'd have to trust Cleveland's talent evaluation

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
I love Thad, he's a real good role player but he doesn't want to be here and I don't know how much trade value he has anyway so I'd be good with that. Although like MV said it looks like Wiggins could fall to them at 3 anyway. If they value him that much more than the other two I'm good with not taking a chance on it though if Thad is the asking price.

If that did happen the Sixers would have like $20 million in salary next year haha. So maybe sign like a solid veteran or two to help the young guys. LeBron and Melo to the Sixers

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Jota posted:

If that did happen the Sixers would have like $20 million in salary next year haha. So maybe sign like a solid veteran or two to help the young guys. LeBron and Melo to the Sixers

Kobe, come home.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

WhyteRyce posted:

Kings are bringing in Hood for a workout. They've also brought in Harris, which makes me think they are considering trading down. The rumor is some kind of Dennis Schröder + #15 for #8 swap, which I wouldn't hate if we get Payne

The Bulls are reportedly looking to move up using both their picks (16 and 19), so that's another possible partner.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

pylb posted:

The Bulls are reportedly looking to move up using both their picks (16 and 19), so that's another possible partner.

If the organization thinks Adrien Payne can be a Rasheed Wallace, then I'm down with this

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Another rookie going to war with Woj!

Julius Randle @J30_RANDLE
No disrespect but check with the actual source next time before you put something like that out there @WojYahooNBA

Julius Randle @J30_RANDLE
I never do this but it was brought to me and it's crazy how people put stories out there and have no clue what they are talking about.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I came here to post that. He's probably just having the pin removed, as opposed to reconstructive surgery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
It continues.

Jonathan Givony @DraftExpress
Don't understand Julius Rande's strategy of trying to discredit @WojYahooNBA. There is an issue w/his foot. Heard same from multiple teams.

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/477150246146166784

• Locked thread