Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Toasta posted:

I almost can't believe how good that game looked during the Sony press conference. Wow!

I didn't plan on using the Batmobile to get around much since I love gliding so much, but it looks like they really have made getting in and out of a breeze, it looked incredible.

Also Penguin still hasn't learned not to talk poo poo about Batman :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

AngryBooch posted:

Looks like there is a mini Batcave outpost setup in Wonder Tower so you can glide anywhere just by walking out onto the balcony. And actually make that glide that wasn't possible in City finally.
Oh poo poo, really? I didn't notice.

Now I can fulfill my dreams of ruining someone's day by diving onto them from the top of Wonder Tower :allears:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Finally watched the trailer from the Sony press conference. The new Batsuit is awesome :black101: The Bat-tank, on the other hand, :wtf:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Chasiubao posted:

Finally watched the trailer from the Sony press conference. The new Batsuit is awesome :black101: The Bat-tank, on the other hand, :wtf:

I love the honeycombed material underneath the Batsuit. While there's definitely precedent for the Bat-tank, I can't see myself using it much outside of drone tank encounters. Gliding around what looks like a huge, dense city is just going to be great. I love those moments where Batman seems dwarfed by Gotham, and I think this pulls it off well.

I'm really digging John Noble's Scarecrow. The voice actor in Asylum was really good in that sniveling wimpy villain sense, but this Scarecrow sounds a lot more threatening.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I didn't plan on using the Batmobile to get around much since I love gliding so much, but it looks like they really have made getting in and out of a breeze, it looked incredible.

Also Penguin still hasn't learned not to talk poo poo about Batman :allears:

Everything in general seems much faster now which is very welcome with the increased scale. Batman was practically teleporting down that ladder during the demo.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Doflamingo posted:

Everything in general seems much faster now which is very welcome with the increased scale. Batman was practically teleporting down that ladder during the demo.
"gently caress you, grates!"

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
How Bruce Wayne is potrayed in the comics? Every characterization line he had in AA or AC was basically broody PTSD grizzly-man combat vet stuff. That tends to get a bit boring.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ManOfTheYear posted:

How Bruce Wayne is potrayed in the comics? Every characterization line he had in AA or AC was basically broody PTSD grizzly-man combat vet stuff. That tends to get a bit boring.

Inconsistent as best. He's gone from "bored socialite" to ladie's man, and most recently as a rich dude with a keen interest in Gotham's well being, actively handling Wayne Enterprises business ventures and what not. I always get the sense that Bruce Wayne is just itching for an excuse to put on his tights.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO2_iUkojCY

I can't get over how fantastic Gotham looks in that video. Watched him fly through the sequence 6 times now.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

My jaw dropped watching that, then once I got my mouth closed it dropped again when I heard John Noble as the Scarecrow. :allears:

The city looks great, there's obviously room to drive around in the Batmobile but it looks perfectly navigable if you want to glide and grapple instead. It also looks huge, even if it may not be it's certainly tricking you into thinking it is, and there's a lot of depth and height to it.

The Batmobile seems to work like the Magic Horse in RDR, it shows up to wherever you are once you summon it, which is definitely the right call.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

Inconsistent as best. He's gone from "bored socialite" to ladie's man, and most recently as a rich dude with a keen interest in Gotham's well being, actively handling Wayne Enterprises business ventures and what not. I always get the sense that Bruce Wayne is just itching for an excuse to put on his tights.

Bleh, that's a bit dissappointing. The concept of Batman is kinda neat, but at the same time everything outside the tights is just boring. Peter Parker has been one of the few interesting characters on their own and it compliments the Spidey stuff well, but Bruce Wayne? Snore.

I remember reading some fun discussion in SA bout how the concept of Batman would not work in real life and what kind of an place Gotham would have to be to havethe kind of crime it does and still function. Is there any place where I could read that or something similiar?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

ManOfTheYear posted:

Depends on writer.

You see a little of it in the games, but Batman is at his best when he's not just broody, but basically mentally ill and broken on a pretty fundamental level.

You know how Batman doesn't kill? It's because he knows he is angry and broken enough that if he starts he wouldn't stop. There is some good stuff exploring that. It's why Joker always tries to get Bats to kill him.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

ManOfTheYear posted:

Bleh, that's a bit dissappointing. The concept of Batman is kinda neat, but at the same time everything outside the tights is just boring. Peter Parker has been one of the few interesting characters on their own and it compliments the Spidey stuff well, but Bruce Wayne? Snore.

I thought the Animated Series' take on Bruce Wayne was one of the best. Basically, he's almost never deliberately airheaded. Instead, you see him threatening Wayne Industries board members for going behind his back on a lumber operation that would destroy a rain forest. You see him sitting on the Arkham Asylum board as a way of ensuring the inmates get humane treatment. You see him donating to and working in soup kitchens. It's one of the better interpretations because you get the sense that he uses his Bruce Wayne persona to fight against the root causes of crime, and he uses Batman to fight the harsh daily realities of it. I'd love to see him get this sort of depth in the movies. You see a glimmer of it in Arkham City with him protesting the prison at the beginning of the game.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

ShineDog posted:

You see a little of it in the games, but Batman is at his best when he's not just broody, but basically mentally ill and broken on a pretty fundamental level.

You know how Batman doesn't kill? It's because he knows he is angry and broken enough that if he starts he wouldn't stop. There is some good stuff exploring that. It's why Joker always tries to get Bats to kill him.

Wow, that's pretty hosed up. Modern Batman is the most feelbad superhero out there.

I guess it's a bit different in the comics when it's the comic book world, but with Nolan kind of stuff the problem is how Batman is so functional despite being so broken: "I stayed 8 years inside my manor without seeing anybody else than Alfred because my girlfriend died and the instant I decide to leave I'm completely functional human being in a top atheletes body." You can't be hosed up and still put up a top performance physically and mentally and have such a high level of skill and cunning. Basically every iteration of Batman has him suffer mentally on some level and still be plaguede by his parents murder after 20+ years but not counting a couple of lines where he states he sometimes feels bad mental problems don't affect him at all. That's wasted exploration.

Are there any good "Batman in real life" kinda stories out there? Like a corrupt city with mob running everrything and one rich guy going commando against all of it? Collectiong evidence and poo poo? That kinda stuff would be great, without any fill-the-city-with-gas bullshit.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I thought the Animated Series' take on Bruce Wayne was one of the best. Basically, he's almost never deliberately airheaded. Instead, you see him threatening Wayne Industries board members for going behind his back on a lumber operation that would destroy a rain forest. You see him sitting on the Arkham Asylum board as a way of ensuring the inmates get humane treatment. You see him donating to and working in soup kitchens. It's one of the better interpretations because you get the sense that he uses his Bruce Wayne persona to fight against the root causes of crime, and he uses Batman to fight the harsh daily realities of it. I'd love to see him get this sort of depth in the movies.

This sounds great, it's a real hero story and not a grimdark power fantasy. I've never watched the animated series outside a few episodes I saw as a kid. Should I check it out or would it be too much aimed for children?

ManOfTheYear fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 10, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

There's a wonderful story where Batman goes around the world to beat up pedophiles. Not superpowered pedos with de-aging gas, just skeezy dudes who like to diddle kiddles :v:

I highly, highly recommend anyone who is interested in the real life realities of the Batman to pick up E. Paul Zehr's book Becoming Batman. It goes really into how the body works and cuts through a lot of the bullshit around how Batman is portrayed to deliver a summation of how possible it would be for someone to become a force like Batman's supposed to be.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I highly, highly recommend anyone who is interested in the real life realities of the Batman to pick up E. Paul Zehr's book Becoming Batman. It goes really into how the body works and cuts through a lot of the bullshit around how Batman is portrayed to deliver a summation of how possible it would be for someone to become a force like Batman's supposed to be.

I've been eyeing that, but the guy who wrote it is a physician with martial arts experience, not even full contact fighting if I remember right and I'm willing to guess he has never fought crime at any level - physical or not - so the image he has on beating robbers into a pulp probably isn't too realistic. So I'm a bit itchy on buying that book.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ManOfTheYear posted:

This sounds great, it's a real hero story and not a grimdark power fantasy. I've never watched the animated series outside a few episodes I saw as a kid. Should I check it out or would it be too much aimed for children?
Hell no. It's still one of the best animated shows, period.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

ManOfTheYear posted:

I've been eyeing that, but the guy who wrote it is a physician with martial arts experience, not even full contact fighting if I remember right and I'm willing to guess he has never fought crime at any level - physical or not - so the image he has on beating robbers into a pulp probably isn't too realistic. So I'm a bit itchy on buying that book.

He actually uses his learned expertise and knowledge of how the body functions to discuss just how devastating to Batman a lifestyle of constant battle would be. He's not just some schmoe who wrote a book half-assed, he's clearly put a ton of research and thought into the content. There's a discussion about how Batman would fight, for instance, and stuff about injuries and recovery and sleeping.

You should pick it up.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

There's a discussion about how Batman would fight, for instance, and stuff about injuries and recovery and sleeping.

Okay that's very interesting. I thought the book would be more like how you should prepare to fight a horde of bad guys and how many bench presses you should do and what style of kung fu to practice, but if it's not that, I'm on board.

redbackground posted:

Hell no. It's still one of the best animated shows, period.

Also will check out the show.

ManOfTheYear fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 10, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I thought the Animated Series' take on Bruce Wayne was one of the best. Basically, he's almost never deliberately airheaded. Instead, you see him threatening Wayne Industries board members for going behind his back on a lumber operation that would destroy a rain forest. You see him sitting on the Arkham Asylum board as a way of ensuring the inmates get humane treatment. You see him donating to and working in soup kitchens. It's one of the better interpretations because you get the sense that he uses his Bruce Wayne persona to fight against the root causes of crime, and he uses Batman to fight the harsh daily realities of it. I'd love to see him get this sort of depth in the movies. You see a glimmer of it in Arkham City with him protesting the prison at the beginning of the game.

On the topic of Bruce Wayne being humane, I really like that scene from the Long Halloween where he wanders into Grundy's lair on accident and has to fight him in order to apprehend a witness to take down the Falcones (or something like that), but makes it up to him later by bringing him a Thanksgiving dinner and spending the holiday with him.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Are there any good "Batman in real life" kinda stories out there? Like a corrupt city with mob running everrything and one rich guy going commando against all of it? Collectiong evidence and poo poo? That kinda stuff would be great, without any fill-the-city-with-gas bullshit.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney?

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 10, 2014

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Also this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZDh-QvS8lw

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

ManOfTheYear posted:

You get a little of this in the Tim Sale/Jeph Loeb graphic novel The Long Halloween where Bruce is very adamantly against Gotham Bank (of which he is a board member) doing business with the Falcone crime family, but there are probably better examples.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

ManOfTheYear posted:

Okay that's very interesting. I thought the book would be more like how you should prepare to fight a horde of bad guys and how many bench presses you should do and what style of kung fu to practice, but if it's not that, I'm on board.

Yeah, it's not a weird wanky guide to being Batman. It's a lot of working back from what Batman is said to be capable of and adressing if a real person can do that, and if so, how. Like there's some passage from a comic which claims the Bat is a master of 127 martial arts; well, the book calls bullshit on that and lays out why, then goes into an exploration of what he would actually be likely to do.

Like, there is an element of it which is "Batman would likely train in this way", but with the understanding that Batman is not you, and that you are not Batman. But maybe you could be? You'll have to take a look, it's in that book. Reading Batmaaaan

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

ManOfTheYear posted:

. Basically every iteration of Batman has him suffer mentally on some level and still be plaguede by his parents murder after 20+ years but not counting a couple of lines where he states he sometimes feels bad mental problems don't affect him at all. That's wasted exploration.

My favourite batman moment is in Long Halloween (I think) when someone interrupts him during his annual pilgrimage to put flowers in crime alley and he runs like a scared little kid.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ManOfTheYear posted:

Are there any good "Batman in real life" kinda stories out there? Like a corrupt city with mob running everything and one rich guy going commando against all of it? Collecting evidence and poo poo? That kinda stuff would be great, without any fill-the-city-with-gas bullshit.
Grab, right now, The Forensic Files of Batman, by longtime Batman writer Doug Moench. It's not a comic at all, but a mix of Bat-Case-File narrative and actual real-world crime-scene science. No super-villainy, no sci-fi, just down-and-dirty crime-fighting with an emphasis on crime-solving. It's stellar.

I also have to recommend to anyone wanting a fantastic "world's greatest detective" Batman story to check out Batman Confidential #49, a sweet-rear end one-shot.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 10, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
God I didn't even notice John Noble as Scarecrow until I watched it again. This is going to be top-tier poo poo when it drops.

Although was it just me or did they not bother trying to get Oracle's VO again?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Kaizer88 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO2_iUkojCY

I can't get over how fantastic Gotham looks in that video. Watched him fly through the sequence 6 times now.

I haven't been following this game very closely, and I am just completely and utterly blown away by that entire video.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

massive spider posted:

My favourite batman moment is in Long Halloween (I think) when someone interrupts him during his annual pilgrimage to put flowers in crime alley and he runs like a scared little kid.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure he's under the influence of Scarecrow's fear toxin during that scene.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I love how minimal the HUD looks this time around with a clean classic font. This is reason #1 to get a ps4 for me.

Less Talk More Rock
May 8, 2007
Would you give it all up to live again?

There's a wonderful story where Batman goes around the world to beat up pedophiles. Not superpowered pedos with de-aging gas, just skeezy dudes who like to diddle kiddles :v:

Are you talking about Batman-The Ultimate Evil by Andrew Vachss? I remember liking it when it came out, but I haven't read it in years.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Less Talk More Rock posted:

Are you talking about Batman-The Ultimate Evil by Andrew Vachss? I remember liking it when it came out, but I haven't read it in years.

I found this book because was at the public library as a child and typed "batman" into the search. Score.

Though if we're talking about novels, No Man's Land is my favorite. Its a novelization of the No Man's Land storyline of Batman, with all the fat trimmed and with more exposition. I read it multiple times as a kid, I really enjoyed it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Did anyone else think the video errors and crap weren't a part of the trailer and that the hardware they were using fritzed during the conference?

Also I am digging the new cape design... goddamn. The Batmobile driving seems sorta boring and meh, though... gliding around seems a million times more fun.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Batman animated series has aged well, but there are definitely some episodes that aren't great, and are quite kiddie (and those categories don't entirely overlap).

chaosapiant posted:

To be fair, Batman is also inconsistently characterised in the comics too. But that's a function of being a character in publication for 75 years written by hundreds of authors.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Fuzz posted:

Did anyone else think the video errors and crap weren't a part of the trailer and that the hardware they were using fritzed during the conference?

They pulled the same thing, even more convincingly, during AA, when one of the Scarecrow sequences (the last, I think) simulated a corrupted disk freeze and a restart.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Nm.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Fuzz posted:

I thought they were actually using it to censor out plot information from dialog. I've seen that before in promo stuff, they show you something from a couple of hours into the game and just clip out the parts which could spoil something specific.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

I thought they were actually using it to censor out plot information from dialog. I've seen that before in promo stuff, they show you something from a couple of hours into the game and just clip out the parts which could spoil something specific.

And don't forget that in AA it was also Scarecrow who "glitched out" the game. Or at least it reminded me to that.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

It's the exact same trick they pulled in Asylum. You might also notice that during Batman's confrontation with the penguin, what they're saying doesn't correspond to the lip-sync at all, so I suspect pretty much nothing we've seen in the demo is going to play out the same in the actual game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Brumaldo posted:

It's the exact same trick they pulled in Asylum. You might also notice that during Batman's confrontation with the penguin, what they're saying doesn't correspond to the lip-sync at all, so I suspect pretty much nothing we've seen in the demo is going to play out the same in the actual game.

Kinda expected that based on the fact it was a demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Fuzz posted:

Yes, actually.

Until the glitching started making crow noises.

• Locked thread