Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

blue squares posted:

Pretty weird to have this cool young in the past and the terrible old hag mom who can't say "I love you" in the present time.

The same actress did play Louie's mother in a flashback episode in Season 1, where her character was also portrayed in a generally positive light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Man I was so worried the teacher would get fired for the theft.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

wukkar posted:

Man I was so worried the teacher would get fired for the theft.

I thought that was what was happening when Louie came to school and all the cops were outside. I was getting a Breaking Bad vibe.

TheYellowFog
Oct 17, 2008

grain alcohol and rainwater

hcreight posted:

The same actress did play Louie's mother in a flashback episode in Season 1, where her character was also portrayed in a generally positive light.

I think the scene where she goes off on Louie plants the seeds for her later being a bad mom. She seemed cool as long as Louie went along with her idea of what a good son should be, but as soon as he was having issues and turned away from her she started yelling and threating him (a 12 year old) that she would kick him out.

Louie takes the exact opposite approach when he is with Lily in the final scene, probably in part because he remembers how his mom treated him and how it made him feel.

e: This episode is one of my favourites of the series. I'm a Freaks and Geeks fan and there was a similar vibe to this (right down to a Kevin Corrigan / Jeremy Renner comparison, although much darker).

TheYellowFog fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 10, 2014

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

beanieson posted:

It also appears he's an only child in the flashback when at times in present day he has both a sister and a brother :shrug:

Two sisters (the fat one who gave birth to a fart and the thin who gave birth to a daughter).

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

TheYellowFog posted:

Louie takes the exact opposite approach when he is with Lily in the final scene, probably in part because he remembers how his mom treated him and how it made him feel.

I don't think that was exactly it: Louie was just as pissed off and enraged at the start of the episode, but he figures it out at the end much the same way as his mom did, just you know, with a little less drama. Both the initial problem and the solution are present in his mom's behaviour. It's like cyclical or some poo poo, though with a hint of progress (Louie's kid doesn't steal and Louie just gets kinda mad at her for a while).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Plus Louie's mom also recognised something was wrong with her son and sent him to therapy to get him the help he needed. I don't think she was meant to be unsympathetic at all.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Bown posted:

Plus Louie's mom also recognised something was wrong with her son and sent him to therapy to get him the help he needed. I don't think she was meant to be unsympathetic at all.

No, she was definitely a different character from the batshit crazy lady that his mom became in the present day episodes. But it's still not cool to threaten to kick out your 12 year old son because you don't like him anymore. I could see a woman who threatens that becoming batshit crazy at some point.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
This season has been really awesome, and I'm hoping it sticks the landing with the last two episodes.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Gianthogweed posted:

No, she was definitely a different character from the batshit crazy lady that his mom became in the present day episodes. But it's still not cool to threaten to kick out your 12 year old son because you don't like him anymore. I could see a woman who threatens that becoming batshit crazy at some point.

Yeah she's definitely sort of in the same continuity (you know except for the brother/sister thing), or at least could be. Hey, didn't the guy who played Louie's dad here also play the part of some different relative in an earlier season? I have vague memories like he was an uncle or something.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

verybad posted:

Yeah she's definitely sort of in the same continuity (you know except for the brother/sister thing), or at least could be. Hey, didn't the guy who played Louie's dad here also play the part of some different relative in an earlier season? I have vague memories like he was an uncle or something.

The guy who played his uncle: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000719/?ref_=tt_cl_t2

Same actor, right?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yeah that's the same guy.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

poo poo, wasn't he also the husband of that chick who asked Louie if he'd like to see her pussy?

That's, uh, an interesting casting decision.

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005
The woman who Louie dates in the "Bully" episode is played by the same actress as his flashback mother

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Promo for the season finale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKcdkpQcyOY

So uh... Odd, didn't expect this to come from the end of episode 10.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Breadallelogram posted:

The guy who played his uncle: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000719/?ref_=tt_cl_t2

Same actor, right?

Bown posted:

yeah that's the same guy.

verybad posted:

poo poo, wasn't he also the husband of that chick who asked Louie if he'd like to see her pussy?

That's, uh, an interesting casting decision.

I like to think of it as young Louie not knowing his dad that well so that his dad and his uncle end up looking the same. Like, it was some sort of surreal way to communicate how much of an absentee dad he had. :shrug:

Also, man, these episodes have been absolutely awesome.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Breadallelogram posted:

I thought that was what was happening when Louie came to school and all the cops were outside. I was getting a Breaking Bad vibe.

When the teacher stood up for Louie I got the feeling that he knew Louie actually stole them but that he liked Louie and wanted him to have a future. When Louie went and confessed to the teacher I assumed the teacher was gonna be like yeah I knew you took them but I stuck my neck out for you because I believe in you.

I was somewhat surprised when it didn't turn out that way.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

"That same guy" is F. Murray Abraham! You guys really don't know who F. Murray Abraham is? He won the Academy Award! He killed Moe Zart! Homer wanted to get home in time so badly to see his appearance on Inside the Actors Studio that Grampa's kidneys blew up!

PS: Skip Sudduth deserves some kind of award for that. Next level performance.

Tokelau All Star fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 10, 2014

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Tokelau All Star posted:

"That same guy" is F. Murray Abraham! You guys really don't know who F. Murray Abraham is? He won the Academy Award! He killed Moe Zart! Homer wanted to get home in time so badly to see his appearance on Inside the Actors Studio that Grampa's kidneys blew up!

PS: Skip Sudduth deserves some kind of award for that. Next level performance.

Oh poo poo, he was Salieri. I knew I recognized him.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
What the gently caress, those were some of the best episodes of the whole show.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Those two episodes were like part of a really good coming-of-age movie. If they condensed them down and then added a bunch of other poo poo that happened to Young Louie when he was 13, that'd make a great film.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
e: oops

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012
i really liked the (keyboard?) music that played when louie was looking at his mum and going back to school.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

I sorta get why some people complain about "where's the funny" but I'm kinda glad that Louis CK kinda gets to do whatever he wants with his show, so if he wants to go for it, go right ahead.

Then again my "pretentious/masturbatory/self-congratulatory detector" is always broken so I can never really sniff that out, if I'm wrong here. I really enjoyed this week's stuff, honestly.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'm surprised we saw Louie's dad be portrayed at all.

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

Sub Rosa posted:

I'm surprised we saw Louie's dad be portrayed at all.

He was in an earlier episode giving an even younger Louie weird sex tips, but I don't think it was F. Murray

kami
Feb 10, 2004

GATTACA!!
GATTACA!!
My favorite part was the daughter having the munchies in a Five Guys.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Gianthogweed posted:

The whole scene with his mother was things that my mother actually said to me, so for me, this was a really powerful episode.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Wow that uh, that was not what I was expecting. I'm still just like completely at a loss, but that was just really emotional for me. I had a similar relationship with my mother and my dad that was like that.

Kristofenpheiffer
Sep 12, 2004
The Hemogoblin
Wow, Jeremy Renner can act. Who knew.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Kristofenpheiffer posted:

Wow, Jeremy Renner can act. Who knew.

I was surprised too.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

What a first episode for someone who's always heard Louie was a great show but had never watched it until stumbling upon this while channel surfing last night. God drat this show, I marathoned Eps 403-410 today with On Demand, where can I get the rest? I know the earlier seasons are said to be much funnier and I love CK's standup - are the earlier seasons as well done as this also?

All the Emmys, holy poo poo.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Renner is actually a fun character actor, he just gets cast in a lot of leading man parts which I don't actually think are his strong suit and just make him come across really bland.

EDIT: ^I think the first Season takes a few episodes to find its footing because Louie was still working out what the hell he wanted the show to be, but yes, every season is this good, although the stories used to be a lot more self-contained (often with two separate "vignettes" each episode).

BOAT SHOWBOAT fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jun 11, 2014

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Randandal posted:

I know the earlier seasons are said to be much funnier and I love CK's standup - are the earlier seasons as well done as this also?
I don't know about funnier, as I've said I don't think the shift in tone this season is as dramatic as people make it out to be. The first three seasons definitely have more standup parts though.

The first two are also a lot more episodic, he only really started doing multi-ep arcs last year. Check out the Late Show trilogy as soon as possible. It's basically his version of Rocky, only he tries out for the spot of replacing Letterman as a late show host and gets coached by David loving Lynch.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Renner was really good in The Town where he did an even crazier Bawston accent. He tends to get really bland parts to play but can really work with good material.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

That two-parter was perfection. Any weird taste I had left over from last week is gone. The casting was pitch-perfect. I lived Jeremy Renner's weird little ticks and mannerisms and young Louis was pehnomenal. Seriously, where do they find these child actors? I teared up at Louis' speech to his daughter at the end. "I love you and I'm here. That's all I got." That was such a heartfelt, moving scene.

TheYellowFog posted:

I'm a Freaks and Geeks fan and there was a similar vibe to this (right down to a Kevin Corrigan / Jeremy Renner comparison, although much darker).

I definitely got a strong Freaks & Geeks vibe, especially in the lunchroom scenes. Not a bad thing at all, considering Freaks & Geeks handled coming of age better than any other show I've seen.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Bown posted:

his transformation in real time, going from this "THE WORD friend of the family ISN'T THAT BAD GUYS" standup

He's still that guy, hth.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Randandal posted:

are the earlier seasons as well done as this also?

Yes, but there's growth.

"Duckling" is incredibly good and the stand out episode of previous seasons in my opinion. It's as good as any part of this season and in my opinion was the first episode where he showed the potential to make a season like the current one.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Bown posted:

going from this "THE WORD friend of the family ISN'T THAT BAD GUYS" standup

Are you talking about his bit about "the n-word"? That is not at all the point of that bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Riptor posted:

Are you talking about his bit about "the n-word"? That is not at all the point of that bit

Nah, if you listen to his Opie & Anthony appearances on youtube, he drops into that whole "political correctness is ruining society" bullshit a lot. Also, basically every time they talk about a woman, Louis will call her a oval office. Some of that might be him playing to Opie & Anthony's huge audience of dirtbags though.

• Locked thread