Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

SodomyGoat101 posted:

Steven Heck in Alpha Protocol. His emails, his exuberant violence , the cheerful way he threatens to make his partner drink drain cleaner...it's just beautiful.

If he likes you, he will also email you with sections copied from Time Cube.
http://www.timecube.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

In Sleeping Dogs, it gives you slowmo whenever you do a cool thing. Finish the last dude in a big fight? Ramp your motorcycle off an incoming car on the highway? Dive out of your car firing wildly at anyone you see? You are a Cool Dude, and you are rewarded with slowmo.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

SodomyGoat101 posted:

Steven Heck in Alpha Protocol. His emails, his exuberant violence , the cheerful way he threatens to make his partner drink drain cleaner...it's just beautiful.
My favorite thing about Heck is this section of his dossier:

quote:

Heck does not seem to be affiliated with any professional intelligence organizations and has never been linked officially to any CIA operations. He could be categorized as a freelance operative, but then, he is said to trade his services for favors, not cash. There is no question as to his broad knowledge of Taipei and he is definitely familiar with the more infamous personalities of the city (and they him), but even close scrutiny of his behavior yields no certain agenda. His cool-headed conduct and manner of casual speech would define him as either one of the world's most collected, ingenious agents or as a complete lunatic that has tricked himself into believing this.

Even after being best buds with him all game long, there's no real way to tell which of those is the truth.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Which is awesome if you consider if it were a lesser game by a less ingenious team they would've never hanged a lampshade on the issue outside of serious conversations between the boring femme fatale and more boring protag; and then revealed that he was a CIA agent in the third act during a super serious scene where a sober Heck backstabs you.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The new Dead Rising 3 DLC is the most amazing thing ever.

Its just pure fan service of Capcom games like Power Stone, Captain Commando, Megaman X, Breath of Fire, Final Fight and loads of little stuff in the maps, complete with old Capcom arcade machine sounds.

The voice actors seemed to really enjoy hamming it up to, I especially love Chuck's lines in his X4 costume and Frank as Haggar is just delightfully absurd.

In the Haggar outfit, Frank piledrives a bomb and literally says "Piledrive a, BOMB"

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Away all Goats posted:

Was playing Sniper Elite V2 with a friend of mine and I did a slow motion shot where the bullet entered a guy's neck, tumbled through the air and went through the eye of the dude standing behind him :monocle:

I also like how the game keeps track of your character's heart rate; get shot at a lot or sprint a long distance and it will increase your heart rate where it adversely affects your aim.

Two words: Testicle shots.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
In Guild Wars 2 the primary trade hub city was recently destroyed, and is slowly being rebuilt. While running around I noticed a guard yelling that a nearby Sylvari should be hauled in just for the "crime" of being the same race as the big bad evil chick who blew up the town. The other guard was trying to calm the first down; the whole situation was unexpected and very neat to see, in a small corner of the map far away from shops and other points of interest. I always love the little details like that with which ArenaNet peppers their games.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Have you guys played Mercenaries? It's like Just Cause 2, but with More intricate faction dynamics. For instance, if you do a mission for the U.N., China will become displeased with you. South Korea will get pissed if you work with the Russian mob and so forth.

Factions also have randomized patrol routes that sometimes intersect with enemies routes, resulting in giant unscripted battles.

It was a Lucasarts game so you could unlock Han Solo and Indiana Jones skins for your character.

Also, every building in the game can be destroyed, including faction headquarters.

grittyreboot has a new favorite as of 13:11 on Jun 10, 2014

anuj
Oct 14, 2005

~anime crew~
~R.I.P. Soap-san~

grittyreboot posted:

Have you guys played Mercenaries? It's like Just Cause 2, but with More intricate faction dynamics. For instance, if you do a mission for the U.N., China will become displeased with you. South Korea will get pissed if you work with the Russian mob and so forth.

Factions also have randomized patrol routes that sometimes intersect with enemies routes, resulting in giant unscripted battles.

It was a Lucasarts game so you could unlock Han Solo and Indiana Jones skins for your character.

Also, every building in the game can be destroyed, including faction headquarters.

I loved Mercenaries so much. Everything about the first one was just so goddamn fun. I think two of the three playable characters spoke a different foreign language too, so you would get subtitles for one faction but not the other.

And of course using a Codebreaker to get unlimited funds and just rain missiles was pretty cool too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mercenaries 1, you can blow up any building you want but god help you if you run into a tree.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Devyl posted:

Two words: Testicle shots.

Lemme add a word to that: Hitler testicle shots

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

anuj posted:

I loved Mercenaries so much. Everything about the first one was just so goddamn fun. I think two of the three playable characters spoke a different foreign language too, so you would get subtitles for one faction but not the other.

All three characters understand one non-English language. Big burly black dude speaks Korean, scary Swedish dude speaks Russian (and presumably Swedish, but it's never spoken in game so who cares), British&Chinese lady speaks Mandarin. When going to a meeting where that language is spoken, you get subtitles if you've got the right character. The best part is that none of the people in the meetings know you understand, so you can sometimes learn their secrets and stuff.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

anuj posted:

And of course using a Codebreaker to get unlimited funds and just rain missiles was pretty cool too.

All three characters spoke a different language; Nilson spoke Russian so he could eavesdrop on Mafia conversations, Jennifer spoke Chinese, and Chris spoke Korean.

It's a shame Mercs, Inc is almost certainly dead in the water, the first game was amazing and the second was pretty drat fun in spite of a lot of roughness.

e; beaten.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well I guess you can't exactly call it a "little" thing but I always loved being able to just drop a nuke on something in Mercs 2.

anuj
Oct 14, 2005

~anime crew~
~R.I.P. Soap-san~

biosterous posted:

All three characters understand one non-English language. Big burly black dude speaks Korean, scary Swedish dude speaks Russian (and presumably Swedish, but it's never spoken in game so who cares), British&Chinese lady speaks Mandarin. When going to a meeting where that language is spoken, you get subtitles if you've got the right character. The best part is that none of the people in the meetings know you understand, so you can sometimes learn their secrets and stuff.

Ah, I couldn't remember offhand what Chris spoke.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Mercenaries talk:

Sometimes when taking a mission for one of the main factions, there'll be something to interact with during your briefing. Screw listening to the guy in charge, I'm gonna use the exercise bike in the room for five minutes straight.

Also, I loved the mission names for confronting the face cards (basically, son of NK leader stages military coup in NK, you are given 52 targets designated by each card in a deck of cards based on what each target specializes in).
Spoiling just in case.
Ace of Clubs mission: Bringing Down the House (where you call in a friggin' bunker buster on a building modeled after the Ryugyong Hotel)
Ace of Diamonds mission: The Guns of Kirin-Do (where you take out a butt-ton of big ol' artillery)
Ace of Hearts mission: Gambit (where you attempt an infiltration and capture of the ace that doesn't go quite straightforward)
Ace of Spades mission: The Ace of Spades

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

In Mercenaries, I always liked that if I needed a helicopter, I'd just bring out my sniper rifle, wait for one to fly by, and pick off the pilot. 50% of the time, the helicopter would crash but still be usable.

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 15:45 on Jun 10, 2014

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

AFewBricksShy posted:

In Mercenaries, I always liked that if I needed a helicopter, I'd just bring out my sniper rifle, wait for one to fly by, and pick off the pilot. 50% of the time, the helicopter would crash but still be usable.

Not sure about Mercs 1 but in Mercs 2 you could just grapple the choppers and hijack them.

Mercs 2 co-op with a friend is an absolute laugh riot, makes me really wish we got Mercs Inc.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I do wish you could hijack one of the delivery copters though.

Also, since it's the Russians delivering equipment (as I recall), if you snipe the delivery copter pilot dead, I think your reputation with them lowers in response.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I never tried that, but I did appreciate how larger and larger orders (like tanks instead of jeeps) are delivered by larger and larger helicopters.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

graybook posted:

Mercenaries talk:
Sometimes when taking a mission for one of the main factions, there'll be something to interact with during your briefing. Screw listening to the guy in charge, I'm gonna use the exercise bike in the room for five minutes straight.

How the hell did you actually interact with them? I remember hearing you could do this, but there's no button prompt or anything.

haveblue posted:

I never tried that, but I did appreciate how larger and larger orders (like tanks instead of jeeps) are delivered by larger and larger helicopters.

The best thing was planting a couple of C4 bricks on top of the smoke grenade, and then detonating right as the helicopter releases the jeep you ordered. The jeep flies up an destroys the helicopter, and it's exactly as hilarious as it sounds.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
I'm playing diablo III on PS3 and I've never completed a game to 100%, so I figured I'd give it a try after getting all the hardcore ones. One of my favorite things about the game are the followers dialogs. In order to get all the character cheevos, you need to get two level sixty toons from each class, so I have all five classes in male and female, hardcore and normal mode.

Not only is the dialogue from each class different with each follower, it's also different based on the gender of your class. Best conversations are hands down between the female witch doctor and the enchantress.

I suppose the downside is I have plenty of time to hear all the dialogue, as you have to beat the game 27 times in order to get the 100%.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FreshFeesh posted:

In Guild Wars 2 the primary trade hub city was recently destroyed, and is slowly being rebuilt. While running around I noticed a guard yelling that a nearby Sylvari should be hauled in just for the "crime" of being the same race as the big bad evil chick who blew up the town. The other guard was trying to calm the first down; the whole situation was unexpected and very neat to see, in a small corner of the map far away from shops and other points of interest. I always love the little details like that with which ArenaNet peppers their games.

GW2 has tons of amazing conversations just littered all over the place, just off in some bum gently caress corner a lot of the time.

Which is why its so weird that the personal story and LS are such garbage, supposedly the team that handled the ambient dialogue is now doing the LS season 2 to hopefully it improves significantly.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

ninjahedgehog posted:

How the hell did you actually interact with them? I remember hearing you could do this, but there's no button prompt or anything.

The best thing was planting a couple of C4 bricks on top of the smoke grenade, and then detonating right as the helicopter releases the jeep you ordered. The jeep flies up an destroys the helicopter, and it's exactly as hilarious as it sounds.

I could've sworn there was a prompt for it when I played on Xbox, but I might be wrong; maybe you just went up and hit 'interact' and got lucky. I'd love to go back and replay it sometime.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I just remembered Mercenaries 2 had this song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEbE3fGfF-o

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Cleretic posted:

I've picked up Just Cause 2 again recently, and realied something: Just Cause 2 is the only open-world game with vehicles that actually has useful planes.

The planes are good for getting around but totally useless at shooting things since they can't target lock

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
In that mission where you had to blow up a rocket with a stolen plane I was way too bad to actually hit it with bullets, so I just crashed the plane into it. Just CAAAAUUUUUSE

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think I've beaten Mercenaries twice on the original Xbox. It's one of the most stupidly fun games around.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

When you first get that bunker buster it feels so loving satisfying.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Man, I was perfectly happy not knowing that there was even potential for another Mercenaries sequel, but thanks to this thread, I now know exactly what we missed out on with Mercs, Inc. :sigh:

drat it, I always end up loving the games that are doomed for failure!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
This was staring me in the face for a while, sicne I play the game so much, but I just remembered something really clever about Civilization V that the Yogscast stumbled onto in one of their games of it.

In rankings compared to other civs, the technological rating is typically 'Literacy', which tells you how much of the tech tree you've completed as a percentage. It's mostly a flat translation; if you've researched a fifth of the technologies in the game, it reads as 20%.

Unless you haven't researched Writing yet. Then, no matter how much you've researched, it's at 0%. Because of course it is, your people are illiterate.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Generic American posted:

Man, I was perfectly happy not knowing that there was even potential for another Mercenaries sequel, but thanks to this thread, I now know exactly what we missed out on with Mercs, Inc. :sigh:

drat it, I always end up loving the games that are doomed for failure!

They teased me with a Mercenaries game set in India at the end of Mercs 2 and for not following up on that I will never forgive them. :arghfist::saddowns:

I'm hoping in this age of old-rear end games getting revived by Kickstarters we'll see old Pandemic devs trying to crowdfund Mercs Inc, but there's been no sign of that.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

If we're also discussing games we want sequels to, Psi Ops was loving amazing. There was something very satisfying about being able to take control of an enemy soldier, kill all of his friends and then make him blow his own head off.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Hannibal Smith posted:

My favorite thing about Heck is this section of his dossier:

Even after being best buds with him all game long, there's no real way to tell which of those is the truth.
No matter which way I play the game, I always have to reply to his famous wall of insane text email in a "play along" fashion.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

If we're also discussing games we want sequels to, Psi Ops was loving amazing. There was something very satisfying about being able to take control of an enemy soldier, kill all of his friends and then make him blow his own head off.

I remember the rag doll physics in that game being so much drat fun.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Crossposting from the TV Tropes thread:
The save points in Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden. They are so perfect.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

malal posted:

I'm playing diablo III on PS3 and I've never completed a game to 100%, so I figured I'd give it a try after getting all the hardcore ones. One of my favorite things about the game are the followers dialogs. In order to get all the character cheevos, you need to get two level sixty toons from each class, so I have all five classes in male and female, hardcore and normal mode.

Not only is the dialogue from each class different with each follower, it's also different based on the gender of your class. Best conversations are hands down between the female witch doctor and the enchantress.

I suppose the downside is I have plenty of time to hear all the dialogue, as you have to beat the game 27 times in order to get the 100%.

The female Wizard and Scoundrel banter is pretty great, too, if you haven't tried that one yet

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
The first and last look at Mercs 3 :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YAuGSlvEpA

and of course Mercs Inc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNwRYU6xrJ8

beato has a new favorite as of 21:13 on Jun 11, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mercenaries 2 had a mad troubled development. They completely scrapped it at least once (there was originally supposed to be a greater focus on fluid dynamics) and it got delayed by quite a bit, multiple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

So according to the E3 vid, Homefront: The Revolution (now under Crytek, rather than whoever made the poorly-received original) will allow weapon mods, like many other shooters. What makes it something to post in this thread, though, is that it's not done through a menu like other games; it's done right in-game, and you can see your character pull out old parts and swap the new parts on. As a huge sucker for pointless-but-cool tacticlol immersion, I had to grin when I saw that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tujh2fnATK4&t=328s