Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Can I have an example of '90s midwestern emo' because I am not linking that name to any distinct sound in my head

Would Promise Ring or Sunny Day Real Estate be a good start?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
If that's what that is I don't know look at Good Clean Fun or something, old Armor For Sleep can sound kind of like Mineral if you bang your head in a door first? Bad Astronaut?

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 11, 2014

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

If that's what that is I don't know look at Good Clean Fun or something, old Armor For Sleep can sound kind of like Mineral if you bang your head in a door first? Bad Astronaut?

Well, I wasn't sure about Mineral because they came from Texas originally (hence the edit), but they did to relocate to Chicago I think.

Cap'n Jazz or Knapsack also come to mind.

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today
I just got the Mineral's Power of Failing and the February EP and it's very SDRE. GCF is straightup old school punk. I've seen Armor for Sleep a few times, the singer can't hit a note for crap on stage. That's a little too Taking Back Sunday-ish 2000s died black hair thing for what I'm looking for. Midwestern Emo 90s style is like the GetUp Kids are the Promise Ring are the two big names that come to mind. I've found Knapsack which is awesome and Boy's Life, American Football. I even got an old Cursive compilation that fits the bill. Never really could give Cap'n Jazz album I own the full attention it probably deserves.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

crikster posted:

Bane....I remember them. Surprised they're still around.

Does anyone have recommendations for 90s midwestern Emo? I'm on a kick right now. I guess they don't have to been from the midwest, but that's what people are calling that sound.

obviously braid, texas is the reason, and mineral. i'm assuming you listen to those if you know what midwest emo is? someone can get deeper but my advice is don't. that poo poo gets pretty bland past those three bands (maybe an exception to the kinsella projects - cap'n jazz, owls, make believe, owen, joan of arc - but that's it).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

crikster posted:

Bane....I remember them. Surprised they're still around.

Does anyone have recommendations for 90s midwestern Emo? I'm on a kick right now. I guess they don't have to been from the midwest, but that's what people are calling that sound.

Other than the most obvious ones that you've already heard and the guy above mentioned:

Everyone Asked About You - Everyone Asked About You
Penfold - Amateurs and Professionals
Christie Front Drive - Stereo

Also not 90s but you would probably enjoy Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate) and Their / They're / There.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation
Good Clean Fun Midwestern emo/straight up old school punk? My brain is exploding here.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

crikster posted:

just listen to this comp and then any bands from it you find interesting

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Post-Marked-Stamps/release/2994032

stay depressed fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 11, 2014

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Can I have an example of '90s midwestern emo' because I am not linking that name to any distinct sound in my head

needed a dedicated post to laugh at this so here goes

hahahahaha

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

cf posted:

They were sick, what did you expect?

Do you mean they were actually sick? That sucks, didn't realize it.

If you mean, "They were awesome. What more were you expecting from them?" Not a lot. I said it was awesome. Just wanted a longer set list.

And I wanted them to play Hoods Up. :(

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today

stay depressed posted:

just listen to this comp and then any bands from it you find interesting

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Post-Marked-Stamps/release/2994032

Cool thanks. And hey other dude, why would you call Good Clean Fun an emo band? They do laugh at emo, "little bit emo little bit hardcore/the myspace song." But you listen to Postively Postive and it's very reminiscent to something like the old Dischord stuff, or This is Boston Not LA.
That reminds me of I Hate Myself and Want To Die who are dizzam good in the more hard core way. And the first Jimmy Eat World album is pretty good.
But I want to make a distinction between the midwestern emo and the 2000s era. The 90s were like "Hey we're just midwestern boys like you and me." Then Underoath and Taking Back Sunday era seemed like they glammed it up with the mall clothes and made everything bitchier.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad

Tennis Ball posted:

If you mean, "They were awesome. What more were you expecting from them?" Not a lot. I said it was awesome. Just wanted a longer set list.

God dammit.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tennis Ball posted:

I'm cringing so hard at this post.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

crikster posted:

Cool thanks. And hey other dude, why would you call Good Clean Fun an emo band? They do laugh at emo, "little bit emo little bit hardcore/the myspace song." But you listen to Postively Postive and it's very reminiscent to something like the old Dischord stuff, or This is Boston Not LA.
That reminds me of I Hate Myself and Want To Die who are dizzam good in the more hard core way. And the first Jimmy Eat World album is pretty good.
But I want to make a distinction between the midwestern emo and the 2000s era. The 90s were like "Hey we're just midwestern boys like you and me." Then Underoath and Taking Back Sunday era seemed like they glammed it up with the mall clothes and made everything bitchier.

Literally because the one song I think of when I think of Good Clean Fun is The Myspace Song, I don't know why.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm cringing so hard at this post.

Yeah, lots of people didn't like The Note. I get it.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.

Other than the most obvious ones that you've already heard and the guy above mentioned:

Everyone Asked About You - Everyone Asked About You
Penfold - Amateurs and Professionals
Christie Front Drive - Stereo

Also not 90s but you would probably enjoy Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate) and Their / They're / There.

Yeah I was going to recommend Their/They're/There.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m98pIKAYwbs

Nothing will sound exactly like that specific niche but maybe grab one of Topshelf records free mixtapes and just throw it on shuffle or something http://topshelfrecords.bandcamp.com/album/2013-sampler

A lot of stuff on there scratches that itch for me. Hop Along comes to mind.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.

Tennis Ball posted:

Yeah, lots of people didn't like The Note. I get it.

sick means good :downs:

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Gabbleduck posted:

sick means good :downs:

Yes. I am aware. See where I said this:

quote:

and acknowledged the other meaning for sick?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
You said they were sick in the first post, and then cf made a dad joke about the other meaning, which you appeared to take seriously. Unless you are also joking, in which case this is very confusing.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
Hence the custom title.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
his rear end looks exactly like that too

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today

Gabbleduck posted:

Yeah I was going to recommend Their/They're/There.

Nothing will sound exactly like that specific niche but maybe grab one of Topshelf records free mixtapes and just throw it on shuffle or something http://topshelfrecords.bandcamp.com/album/2013-sampler

A lot of stuff on there scratches that itch for me. Hop Along comes to mind.

Sounds like Braid kinda of, that sensitive pussy boy rock, which sounds good to me.
Just noticed a Dragon Ball Z reference in the song This Isn't The Tenka-Ichi-Budokai by I Hate Myself...when the music goes soft the vocalist goes "KA,MAY,HAH,MAY, HAAAA," and then the music hits while the singers going crazy like he's throwing a fireball and the music is the sound of the blast.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
that song is entirely about dragonball z because i hate myself was for the most part a joke band (depending on who you ask) playing an exaggerated pastiche of emo. the marburger brothers had other bands and they thought they were better than i hate myself. the other way people look at it is that it was some form of therapy or a way to work through certain issues but the obvious satirical nature of the material (liner notes, titles, lyrics) point to it at least being somewhat tongue in cheek

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
this does not change the fact that drama in the emergency room was a high water mark for emo tunes in general. it just provides context.

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today
It's kind of like Ween.. they're supposed to be a parody.. but like how Ween jokes on the 20 minute wanking guitar solos, that doesn't change that Deaner is playing very long wanking solos. At some point it makes you think it stops being a joke. Regardless of Ween, this whole album of top emo hardcore is even better because of the humor. His voice is the archtype.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.
Joyce Manor put up another song. Can't wait for this album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7Pr41WUGA8

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I should probably go see Direct Hit! and Masked Invadertruder next week, shouldn't I.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 19, 2014

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

I should probably go see Direct Hit! and Masked Invader next week, shouldn't I.

Yes. Yes, you should. How's the new Intruder album?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Yes. Yes, you should. How's the new Intruder album?

ehhhhhhhhhh, I love their first one, this one felt like it lost a bit.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Deathlove posted:

ehhhhhhhhhh, I love their first one, this one felt like it lost a bit.

The good songs are great and the bad songs are really loving bad. There's absolutely no middle ground.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
New Code Orange Kids track sounds awful. Couple nice bits but it just utterly falls apart. Also apparently they changed their name to just Code Orange.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6wYuhLxXm8

Maybe the rest will be better?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Inspector_666 posted:

I should probably go see Direct Hit! and Masked Invadertruder next week, shouldn't I.

Masked Intruder is great live. So yeah, go see 'em. Watch out for the cop though.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Killsion posted:

New YAITW kills. Damm great record. New Cloud Rat from beginning of the year is pretty excellent as well.

Any other good grind/crust/pv etc stuff from 2014?

Well because his gf was getting into it with some dude, the bar manager(woman) said you guys need to take that conflict away from the establishment, she got punched in the face by bassist. Then a 90 pound friend of the said woman, after the altercation, went up to him (to yell at him i guess?) - got punched in the face too.

But the people in Cloud Rat are legitimately awesome people and Adrian, their drummer, is one of the raddest dudes i know. If you are into ambient/folk stuff should check out his project that I did a few noise tracks on Breath that moves the branches https://tbtmtb.bandcamp.com or his other project that is in europe right now, more screamo/spacial project Old Soul https://oldsoulband.bandcamp.com/

and the Code Orange song reminds me of Converge riff rip offs spliced to sound like Slipknot and the video reminds me of children of the corn trying to emulate rammestein. Without being scary or creepy.

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 22, 2014

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

So YaitW dumped pig blood all over a crowd and venue in Asheville and just peaced out. http://www.citizen-times.com/story/entertainment/2014/06/24/lab-closes-band-spills-pig-blood/11322013/

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Hopefully they don't do that at this show that was just announced, because I have been so stoked since it popped up on my Facebook the other day.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Hopefully they don't do that at this show that was just announced, because I have been so stoked since it popped up on my Facebook the other day.

alg posted:

So YaitW dumped pig blood all over a crowd and venue in Asheville and just peaced out. http://www.citizen-times.com/story/entertainment/2014/06/24/lab-closes-band-spills-pig-blood/11322013/

YAITW are definitely theatrical in the black metal sense, what with the pig blood and heads. A while back apparently someone went blind in one of their eyes because a pig head hit them in the eye.

Anyway, safe to assume they'll have some blood, so wear stuff you don't care about.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Dead Kennedys have just announced an Australian tour and I'm conflicted. Has anyone seen the Jello-less Dead Kennedys? Are they worth seeing? If I go I feel like I'd be seeing a tribute band rather than THE Dead Kennedys, but maybe it'll be a fun time anyway and I shouldn't be such a dumb baby. Thoughts?

Unbootable
Jul 3, 2003

tnimark posted:

Dead Kennedys have just announced an Australian tour and I'm conflicted. Has anyone seen the Jello-less Dead Kennedys? Are they worth seeing? If I go I feel like I'd be seeing a tribute band rather than THE Dead Kennedys, but maybe it'll be a fun time anyway and I shouldn't be such a dumb baby. Thoughts?

fwiw i heard that when brandon cruz sung with the band, it was half way tolerable. I've heard from folks that've seen em that they're kind of a shell of their former shelves though. I feel like if you really want the Dead Kennedys experience just go see Biafra and his band The Guantanamo School Of Medicine.

Your honor, might I present this atrocious piece of evidence as to them being shells of their former shelves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV_d1PnynvI

Unbootable fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 26, 2014

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Killsion posted:

YAITW are definitely theatrical in the black metal sense, what with the pig blood and heads. A while back apparently someone went blind in one of their eyes because a pig head hit them in the eye.

Anyway, safe to assume they'll have some blood, so wear stuff you don't care about.

they actually did the pigs head thing at my community art space and we had to clean the floor in bleach. then got upset when we approached them about it.

also watain did the pigs blood thing like a week ago. I seriously think they just repurpose watain to appeal to bro hardcore dudes. cept watain never punched women as far as I know, I guess that's their own little spin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Smash it Smash hit posted:

they actually did the pigs head thing at my community art space and we had to clean the floor in bleach. then got upset when we approached them about it.

also watain did the pigs blood thing like a week ago. I seriously think they just repurpose watain to appeal to bro hardcore dudes. cept watain never punched women as far as I know, I guess that's their own little spin.

What's worse, knifing someone in their sleep for saying Satan doesn't exist, or punching a woman?