Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

He did a whole bit at the start of his show about how he should be able to say human being because he doesn't mean it as a slam against gay people.

It so completely misses the mark that I was thrilled when he took himself to task for it on his show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

PostNouveau posted:

Nah, if you listen to his Opie & Anthony appearances on youtube, he drops into that whole "political correctness is ruining society" bullshit a lot. Also, basically every time they talk about a woman, Louis will call her a oval office. Some of that might be him playing to Opie & Anthony's huge audience of dirtbags though.
A lot of that was probably the result of being in a terrible marriage for nine years. And he use to blame the marital troubles on feminism. :smith:

He also had that stand-up bit about how women ruin your soul.

hopefully this enlightening curve continues and he becomes the reverse George Carlin where instead of becoming angry and paranoid in his later years he becomes a wise old ginger sage

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 11, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Louie's real life transformation from 40 year old bitter, jaded redditor to a 50 year old bitter, jaded feminist is pretty great, so far.

LividLiquid posted:

He did a whole bit at the start of his show about how he should be able to say human being because he doesn't mean it as a slam against gay people.

It so completely misses the mark that I was thrilled when he took himself to task for it on his show.

He's pretty humble when he realizes he's been a shithead.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

PostNouveau posted:

Nah, if you listen to his Opie & Anthony appearances on youtube, he drops into that whole "political correctness is ruining society" bullshit a lot. Also, basically every time they talk about a woman, Louis will call her a oval office. Some of that might be him playing to Opie & Anthony's huge audience of dirtbags though.

A lot of that is just them making fun of themselves and ripping on each other. But yeah, O&A and pretty much all the regular comedians they have on the show hate political correctness and the censorship that comes with it, but then most comedians do. Of course radio hosts and comedians are going attack political correctness and censorship and defend free speech.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 12, 2014

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

What episode is this in? I'm keen to see.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

LividLiquid posted:

It's a funny bit though, even if I disagree with the message he's sending.

I can't remember when he said it but I recall him saying once that a lot of what he likes about comedy is the ability to take things that are uncomfortable or even awful and make light of them so that those awful lovely things lose the power they have. That doesn't mean he's encouraging the use of the word human being or friend of the family. But maybe by joking about them he can make those awful things lose a little of their power so that the ability of those words and situations to cause such tremendous hurt to people can be lowered.

Sorta like how everyone on SA constantly makes 9/11 jokes. We laugh at awful things to lessen the pain of them. That's always been what comedy is all about.

Or maybe I'm just a terrible person for finding his bit about cinnabuns being a fat human being treat with hot jizz funny. I have enough self awareness to realize it probably is lovely of me to find that and many of the other things Louie says funny.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Or maybe I'm just a terrible person for finding his bit about cinnabuns being a fat human being treat with hot jizz funny.

I'm right there with you.

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008

Lampsacus posted:

The bit about him saying he should be able to say that word was at the start of one of his older stand-up specials.

He took himself to task about it in the second episode of season 1.

Hoopy Frood fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 12, 2014

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

The scene in particular. I bring it up everytime someone uses that stand-up "human being" bit as some defense of using it as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-55wC5dEnc

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pomp posted:

Louie's real life transformation from 40 year old bitter, jaded redditor to a 50 year old bitter, jaded feminist is pretty great, so far.

That's a really good way of putting it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Kristofenpheiffer posted:

Wow, Jeremy Renner can act. Who knew.
You obviously haven't seen 12 and Holding.

Which is okay, nobody else has either.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

That was a wonderful dramatic episode, but I got a huge laugh when the same kid from the first classroom scene asked about farting in dreams, revealing that that kid is apparently just obsessed with farts.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

ZDar Fan posted:

That was a wonderful dramatic episode, but I got a huge laugh when the same kid from the first classroom scene asked about farting in dreams, revealing that that kid is apparently just obsessed with farts.
He also seemingly set the pace for the future course of experiments, which was amusing.

Riptor posted:

Are you talking about his bit about "the n-word"? That is not at all the point of that bit
Forget it Jake, it's goonatown.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Tokelau All Star posted:

PS: Skip Sudduth deserves some kind of award for that. Next level performance.

Sudduth was outstanding. I don't think I've seen him since Ronin. I hope this part gets him some good future roles.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Red posted:

Sudduth was outstanding. I don't think I've seen him since Ronin. I hope this part gets him some good future roles.
He's a serious character acting vet who's been around TV here and there for a few decades. He actually just had a small role in the new season of Orange is the New Black, so his agent ain't too shabby!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lampsacus posted:

Poker Game from season 1. Not sure of the episode title, though that may be it.

Ginette Reno posted:

I can't remember when he said it but I recall him saying once that a lot of what he likes about comedy is the ability to take things that are uncomfortable or even awful and make light of them so that those awful lovely things lose the power they have. That doesn't mean he's encouraging the use of the word human being or friend of the family. But maybe by joking about them he can make those awful things lose a little of their power so that the ability of those words and situations to cause such tremendous hurt to people can be lowered.
That's all well and good, but he doesn't really get to decide whether or not oval office, friend of the family, human being, etc. are hurtful, because none of those words have ever attacked who he is as a person.

It's the "I didn't mean to shoot you, therefore you are not shot" argument. It doesn't matter if he doesn't have hate in him when he uses the words. The damage is still done.

Thankfully, even he seems to be growing out of that belief.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

ZDar Fan posted:

It's also a really childlike thing to do, when you think about it.

I mean, when he asked about lighting farts on fire it resulted in this really spectacular moment for the class. So hey, keep asking about farts, y'know?

maybe I'm looking too much into a joke though

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

He's a 12-year-old boy. Of course he's obsessed with farts.

On another note, these episodes show the love Louis C.K. has for passionate educators. I enjoyed Mr. Hoffman being a caring, hard-working teacher who took the time to get to know his students personally. I feel like too often in media teachers are portrayed as lazy, burned out, and uncaring. I wonder if Mr. Hoffman is modeled on a teacher Louis has while growing up.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

cheerfullydrab posted:

You obviously haven't seen 12 and Holding.

Which is okay, nobody else has either.

That's a great movie. I caught it on IFC a few years back was actually surprised when I saw Renner in The Hurt Locker.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

dantheman650 posted:

I wonder if Mr. Hoffman is modeled on a teacher Louis has while growing up.

The whole thing about stealing the scales and being defended from the principal by a teacher is a true story, if one of his old appearances on O&A is to be believed.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So Mr. Hoffman was supposed to be Phil Hoffman before he died, right?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

LividLiquid posted:

So Mr. Hoffman was supposed to be Phil Hoffman before he died, right?

That's the word. I love Philip Seymour Hoffman and know he would have been awesome here, but I'm glad that something positive rose from it in the Skip Sudduth performance. If Philip Seymour Hoffman had been able to do the role, I would have watched it thinking "Wow, PSH is doing a great job as the teacher." The way we got it, Skip Sudduth WAS a schlubby looking science teacher/dad and good guy. In a great year for TV, that was as close to a perfect performance as I've seen yet.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
For anyone wondering, the compound Mr. Hoffman has drawn up on the chalkboard is adenine.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Was I the only one who was getting weird undertones from Mr. Hoffman early on? From putting Louie in a compromising position for the "fart science", wanting him to be around more by having him help set-up before class and date his daughter, and then completely overcompensating when sticking up for Louie?

Maybe I was reading too much into it and it wasn't intentional at all, but I still cringed, it seemed like he was overstepping his boundaries more than a little.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
I didn't get that at all.

Cool teachers bend the rules.

libertao
Jun 23, 2006
Doofus
Why did my comedy starring Louie C.K. turn into an after-school special with child actors? This is mostly just ho-hum drama. No wonder Louis had to insist on complete control.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Was I the only one who was getting weird undertones from Mr. Hoffman early on? From putting Louie in a compromising position for the "fart science", wanting him to be around more by having him help set-up before class and date his daughter, and then completely overcompensating when sticking up for Louie?

Maybe I was reading too much into it and it wasn't intentional at all, but I still cringed, it seemed like he was overstepping his boundaries more than a little.

I'll admit, I was expecting it to turn into a Diff'rent Strokes PSA about inappropriate touching at first, but that impression dissipated as soon as the teacher tried to set Louie up with his daughter.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

libertao posted:

Why did my comedy starring Louie C.K. turn into an after-school special with child actors? This is mostly just ho-hum drama. No wonder Louis had to insist on complete control.

I believe that would be Episode 11 of Season One, "God." Don't even try to pretend this has been nothing but a funny show starring Louis C.K. It never has been.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Clearly this episode was about the origin of Louie's black shirts.

e: Science Teach couldn't show him the light on education, but the slimming qualities of dark torso garments rubbed off.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Leviathan posted:

For anyone wondering, the compound Mr. Hoffman has drawn up on the chalkboard is adenine.

More importantly, what was it that did make the egg explode so violently?

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Manos del Sino posted:

I'll admit, I was expecting it to turn into a Diff'rent Strokes PSA about inappropriate touching at first, but that impression dissipated as soon as the teacher tried to set Louie up with his daughter.

It's a good thing Mr. Hoffman didn't own a bicycle shop.

Clark Kent
Feb 22, 2013

Manos del Sino posted:

I was thinking the same exact thing. I believe he wanted viewers to wonder which direction things would go with that teacher.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

libertao posted:

See, he smoked pot when he was 12 and look what happened to his life. Now his daughter is smoking pot at 12...next ep will show 'possible futures', starring Lisa Lampanelli as mid-40 year old Lily.

Clark Kent
Feb 22, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

Pretty much most comedians dislike political correctness. Everything i have heard him say on O&A, i have also heard Jerry Seinfeld or Chris Rock say on interviews as well.

libertao
Jun 23, 2006
Doofus

dantheman650 posted:

Don't even try to pretend this has been nothing but a funny show starring Louis C.K. It never has been.

Of course not, but now it goes nearly entire episodes without anything funny apart from maybe one fart joke. Even other dramas I watch are funnier than this. And this is not some amazingly powerful drama with tour de force acting that would justify the departure.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I felt the same way, but only because this show has trained me to expect the worst. :smith:

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005
louie episodes have always been more like short indie films with some funny moments than sitcom episodes. watch seinfeld or something if you non stop jokes and goofs

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Tom Hanks! I love this guy, everything he does is a gag!

"I have AIDS"

HA!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, trying to pin this down as a 'comedy' and complaining when there aren't 'funny moments' is actually kind of insulting, really. CK isn't bound to your expectations of what a show should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I really want this show to run at least until Jane is a teenager too. Because whatever she gets up to is gonna make "oh god I used to smoke pot at that age, how do I handle this?!" look like a walk in the park.

• Locked thread