Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Is there any way to manage the advertising text messages that T-Mobile always sends me? I don't mind being alerted to my auto payment going through so i can see the amount, but I do not care about sharing my favorite baseball memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

You have to go into My T-Mobile, go to "Your Profile" in the upper right-hand corner, and then edit the Marketing Communication preferences to opt-out of them. It can take a week before they stop, but I haven't received any since I disabled them after I started with T-Mobile earlier this year.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oh thank god. I kept finding instructions on how to do that through the app on the phone but they never worked.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Apparently my family plan that includes 4 lines at no extra charge is a victim of of t-mobile's new vision or whatever. After an hour or so on the phone trying to get an answer for why I'm being charged for extra lines; finally the girl from retention logged into my account and after a moment says, "Ohhh, it does say free" and I thought - I WIN! But no, they refuse to honor it. So instead of honoring my plan they tell me they will change the website so it no longer says "free". They did give me a temporary credit but I'm still very irritated. Assholes.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

wormil posted:

Apparently my family plan that includes 4 lines at no extra charge is a victim of of t-mobile's new vision or whatever. After an hour or so on the phone trying to get an answer for why I'm being charged for extra lines; finally the girl from retention logged into my account and after a moment says, "Ohhh, it does say free" and I thought - I WIN! But no, they refuse to honor it. So instead of honoring my plan they tell me they will change the website so it no longer says "free". They did give me a temporary credit but I'm still very irritated. Assholes.

What does it say on your bill? Look and see if it says free until Januray 2nd 2014. T-Mobile had a promotion for free add a lines until January of this year and then it went back to $10. I don't know if that is what you had but it is my best guess.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It's been part of my plan for years, said nothing about promotional. My plan still says free, until they change it that is.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Send an e-mail to john.legere@t-mobile.com and see whether you get any traction there.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Kreeblah posted:

Send an e-mail to john.legere@t-mobile.com and see whether you get any traction there.

Thanks, good idea. Under plan details it doesn't say free anymore, they've already changed it to say $5.00/mo. so I expect I'm screwed. At least it's still cheaper than any other company.

Anyone have an idea whether Lumia 521's from other carriers will work on t-mobile? I'm looking to buy a used one to add to my plan. They all seem to have the same specs and use the same bands.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Hey tmobile reps, if you have someone who has an installment plan, not a contract, does tmobile still pay a portion of that? Aka someone got a iphone 5S for $650 3 months ago, and now is at $575 remaining.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

wormil posted:

Anyone have an idea whether Lumia 521's from other carriers will work on t-mobile? I'm looking to buy a used one to add to my plan. They all seem to have the same specs and use the same bands.
If you're referring to the Metro PCS version, it should work fine, since it's a Tmobile MVNO.

Cool phone. I got the 520 (gophone) for my kid, and it's a solid device.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Civil posted:

If you're referring to the Metro PCS version, it should work fine, since it's a Tmobile MVNO.

Cool phone. I got the 520 (gophone) for my kid, and it's a solid device.

Yep Metro. My oldest daughter has a 521 and it's a pretty awesome phone for the money. Thanks.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Has anyone ever not received texts? I have three friends who swear they responded to me, but I never received them. This is very disturbing.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yup, not uncommon on any carrier. One of the many reasons I use Hangouts instead of SMS for 99% of my SMS like conversations.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

DemonMage posted:

Yup, not uncommon on any carrier. One of the many reasons I use Hangouts instead of SMS for 99% of my SMS like conversations.

Hangouts didn't receive it either. But this isn't the .001%, this is at least 5 or 6. It all seemed to be concentrated on two days.

Is it possible that I lost them because:

1) I'm prepaid
2) I have an old SIM card
3) I'm not deleting any of my old text messages

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
SMS isn't guaranteed. It's best effort only. So, there could be any number of reasons why you never got them.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kreeblah posted:

SMS isn't guaranteed. It's best effort only. So, there could be any number of reasons why you never got them.

Also there's a massive problem with people who switch to Android phones from iPhones because of iMessage. I think they're getting sued over it.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Hey tmobile reps, if you have someone who has an installment plan, not a contract, does tmobile still pay a portion of that? Aka someone got a iphone 5S for $650 3 months ago, and now is at $575 remaining.

T-Mobile doesn't pay the fee's for installment plans from other carriers if you switch from another carrier to T-Mobile if that is what you are asking. T-Mobile only pays early termination fees.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
So today I picked up a cheap Lumia 521 (T-Mo) as I need a WP8 device for testing. Activation went OK, although it was totally unclear that the activation code (why?) was buried in the device manual packet, and not one of the three other numbers written on the SIM card. Anyways, I setup the $30 100 minute/unlimited data plan.

Now, for kicks I put the T-Mo SIM in my LTE Nexus 7 so I could see how T-Mo's LTE service is in my area, except, there was no data service. Instead if I tried to view a website in Chrome it brought me to an activation portal where it said that my subscription was already activated on another device (or something to that effect).

So what's up here? Is the $30/mo service somehow tied to a specific device such that I can't move the SIM around to whatever I want? If I really wanted to, can I switch devices online by providing a new IMEI? Or do I have to go through the whole activation code crap again?

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

The $30 plan is restricted to phones. If you get a new SIM you should be able to do the 200MB/month free tablet plan on the Nexus 7, just plug it in and it'll force you through the activation process.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Well alright, I missed the part where the $30 plan is only available for phones. So I can switch between phones without hassle?

As it turns out, I did pick up a second SIM activation kit as it wasn't clear to me that a SIM came with the phone (BestBuy's website mentioned nothing about it, I did in store pickup). So if I activate that in the N7, I get 200 MB/mo indefinitely without having to refill at all? Really?

I principally use the N7 on Verizon LTE, but a one-time $15 for backup data is a nice option.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 14, 2014

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

As long as you activate it before the promo ends (no idea when this is, it's been live since October) 200MB/mo is free, with the hope that you decide to pay extra for more once you hit the cap. This looks like an attempt to talk people out of using wifi-only tablets, with the expectation that customers will decide that mobile data is worth paying for. If you don't want to pay though, it's (some) free data for a secondary device!

The only time I've activated a tablet on that plan, I attached it to a postpaid account, so the experience might be slightly different on prepaid- you can't have multiple lines on one account with the $30 plan, so there's no connection between your phone and tablet for billing in this case. But with one of those being $0/mo and one-off paid refills if you so choose, this probably won't be much of a hassle.

And yes, you can swap your $30 plan SIM between phones with no issue. The complication you ran into is that plans are either phone or tablet/hotspot-only, and you can't move between those groupings within the same plan.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

I found a competitor to the $30 nerd plan.

Target has a MVNO that uses Tmobile's network. The new nerd plan gives you 3GB of data, unlimited text, and 300 minutes for $35/mo. There are add-ons for international usage.

https://www.brightspotmobile.com/compare-prepaid-cell-phone-plans

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Civil posted:

I found a competitor to the $30 nerd plan.

Target has a MVNO that uses Tmobile's network. The new nerd plan gives you 3GB of data, unlimited text, and 300 minutes for $35/mo. There are add-ons for international usage.

https://www.brightspotmobile.com/compare-prepaid-cell-phone-plans

LTE data or just HSPA+? Only info I see on the site is "4G".

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
If I have the nerd plan, how is roaming handled? (US Roaming only, no international). I couldn't find much on t-mobile's site about this specifically.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Nondescript Van posted:

If I have the nerd plan, how is roaming handled? (US Roaming only, no international). I couldn't find much on t-mobile's site about this specifically.

You roam voice and SMS but no data roaming

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Has anyone had any luck getting Tmobile to ship a phone upgrade anywhere besides the billing address for the plan? Their ordering system online won't let you change the shipping destination.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Naffer posted:

Has anyone had any luck getting Tmobile to ship a phone upgrade anywhere besides the billing address for the plan? Their ordering system online won't let you change the shipping destination.

I had my upgrade shipped to my office-- I did it all over the phone though.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Apparently, my missed texts were a combo of having a full disk and an old SIM card. I guess the old card also prevents me from wi-fi calling and USB to computer transfer issues.

Do I just go to a T-mobile Store, and ask for an updated SIM with my current number on it? Do I need to transfer the photos and files beforehand, or does that matter?

Sorry, I was with Sprint for 10 years, so this SIM card swapping stuff is witchcraft to me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Changing the SIM should do nothing to your data. I just realized I don't get wifi calling with the GPE of the HTC One M8. No big deal I guess, but kind of lame.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Tmobile is having some event tonight I guess? Here's a liveblog. I can't imagine what they're doing, I think most people just care about what devices they carry, and they forecast those.
http://live.theverge.com/t-mobile-uncarrier-50-liveblog/

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
The big announcement for existing customers is free data for streaming music on the top streaming services (Spotify, Pandora, iTunes radio, etc.)

As The Verge said: (Notably missing: Beats, Rdio, Google Play Music, Amazon Music.)

Edit: You have to vote for the nonblessed services and they'll pick some of them. This link will eventually be live to do the voting, I assume. is where you vote.

Double edit: the link is live. Google Music is winning by a landslide, as I think anyone would expect. Why "milk music" whatever that is was picked and Google Play wasn't is.... worrisome, like the guy below posts.

Bisty Q. fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 19, 2014

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/18/5822996/t-mobile-music-freedom-net-neutrality

quote:

It sounds wonderful — and right in line with the "uncarrier" image that firebrand CEO John Legere has worked so hard to cultivate — but it's a terribly slippery slope: T-Mobile has decided, arbitrarily, that some of the data traveling over its pipes should count against a cap, while other data should not. What's to stop it from using data cap exemptions as a punitive measure against content providers that aren't on good terms with T-Mobile (or its parent company Deutsche Telekom)?

nougatmachine
May 19, 2011
The other announcement from today's press event is that T-Mobile is letting people "test drive" their network on an iPhone 5s for a week. You give them a credit card, they put a hold on it, let you try it out for a week, and you return it and the hold is lifted. If you break the phone or lose it you pay full price. Minor damage is a $100 charge.

Interestingly, this offer also goes for current T-Mobile customers, so if for some reason you've been curious about an iPhone but really want to try it for yourself, you can do that. Or I guess if you have an older iPhone and want to compare the performance that's another theoretical reason to do it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Milk Music is Samsung's own thing so it's pretty obvious why it's already up there.

One additional piece of information AndroidCentral picked up on is that T-Mo is launching VoLTE in ~16 more cities (and the only one I care about, Chicago) and adding the Galaxy S5 to the list of phones that will support VoLTE. Tomorrow. So I assume there's going to be a small OTA for the S5 sometime tonight.

e: On a whim I Kies'd my mom's Note 3 to the VoLTE-supporting version over the weekend. Guess I'm just a bit prescient.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 19, 2014

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Is this just for monthly plans? I'm on prepaid. If this extends to prepaid I have another reason not to leave t-mobile

Edit: it does! I've been streaming for a while now and it hasn't counted against my data allocation.

b0nes fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 19, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nougatmachine posted:

The other announcement from today's press event is that T-Mobile is letting people "test drive" their network on an iPhone 5s for a week. You give them a credit card, they put a hold on it, let you try it out for a week, and you return it and the hold is lifted. If you break the phone or lose it you pay full price. Minor damage is a $100 charge.

Interestingly, this offer also goes for current T-Mobile customers, so if for some reason you've been curious about an iPhone but really want to try it for yourself, you can do that. Or I guess if you have an older iPhone and want to compare the performance that's another theoretical reason to do it.

It seems like this wouldn't be mutually exclusive with the pay-your-ETF offer, right?

If so, I finally might dump Sprint.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Holy poo poo, stream music that doesn't count against your bandwith (unlimited anyway). I'm breaking my loving ATT contract....

quote:

Other services under consideration include Google Play, Beats, and Rdio.

as soon as they support google all access :smith:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

incoherent posted:

Holy poo poo, stream music that doesn't count against your bandwith (unlimited anyway). I'm breaking my loving ATT contract....

as soon as they support google all access :smith:

Yeah, I think it's just a great idea that actually isn't a great idea. In my mind it would have to be all music services or no music services, and how do you cover every small music app out there?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, I think it's just a great idea that actually isn't a great idea. In my mind it would have to be all music services or no music services, and how do you cover every small music app out there?

Why does it have to be all of them? If they cover the most popular ones then that works as a benefit for the majority of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
I was cleaning out a drawer today and found two T-Mobile SIM cards. One Mini SIM and one Micro SIM. Both still eligible to be activated. I was going to throw them away but instead I will mail them for free to whoever wants 'em.