Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The Vikings posted:

Any thoughts on mirra 1 vs 2? Had the chance to try out a mirra 1 which was pretty comfortable and it's cheaper than the mirra 2s. Can't find any 2s around to try sitting in.

I think the Mirra 2 JUST came out. I'm actually going to a furniture convention in Chicago next week, I'll try one there and report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I'm using a Mirra 1 at home so I'm interested in hearing about how the Mirra 2 is as well. I heard they removed that weird foam pad under the front of the seat which would be a huge improvement by itself.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
I'm considering buying an Okamura CP- does anyone have any experience with how this feels over time?

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
I picked up an Embody a couple weeks ago because I got a good quote from a local dealer and why not, but I'm having a hell of a time adjusting it to where it's comfortable, and sometimes even just not painful. I've looked at all of the adjustment guides I could find from HM already. Anyone have any advice for me?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
How tall are you? For me, this thing is at its best with the seat bottom extended all the way out, and a foot rest for your feet (first google result that looks like mine). From there, locking the tilt back into place and then sitting back in the seat makes it extremely comfortable for me for long work sessions.

Can you tell us where it's painful or what's not feeling right? It may be easier to help that way.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
I'm a little over 6'1". It's my lower back that's bothering me (just above my pants line). How far back do you tilt?

Sylvyfish
Feb 16, 2012

We can't get hung up on real world morality.

Yip Yips posted:

I'm a little over 6'1". It's my lower back that's bothering me (just above my pants line). How far back do you tilt?

I have my tilt limiter completely disengaged, I rock back and forth quite a bit and it keeps me comfortable. I think the most important adjustment if you're feeling uncomfortable is probably the backfit adjustment. If your lower back is hurting, you probably have the backfit too far forward. I initially found the chair uncomfortable as well, and playing with that adjustment easily made the most difference. I like the backfit relatively far back, so that I can stretch my shoulders in the chair.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Past few years, I've been using this 80s office chair that I picked up for like 10 bucks. Solid wood and metal. Real nice, except the seat plate partially shattered on me.
I found a replacement at: http://www.oodlesofpartsplus.com/chair_partsii.htm It is the first one. Style # 01 475. Problem is, I don't want to pay 116 bucks for it, and that is the cheapest I've been able to find.

Perhaps someone knows a place a fair bit cheaper?

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Sylvyfish posted:

I have my tilt limiter completely disengaged, I rock back and forth quite a bit and it keeps me comfortable. I think the most important adjustment if you're feeling uncomfortable is probably the backfit adjustment. If your lower back is hurting, you probably have the backfit too far forward. I initially found the chair uncomfortable as well, and playing with that adjustment easily made the most difference. I like the backfit relatively far back, so that I can stretch my shoulders in the chair.

I'm actually thinking the pain is unrelated to the chair. I switched back to my old chair for a day just to see what would happen and it was way worse. Backs are dumb.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
I've been using the same el cheapo office store $99 special desk chair for about a decade now and it's well past time I replace it. I've been browsing Craigslist to try and find something inexpensive but not craptacular as an immediate replacement while I research/save for what I actually want to sit in for the next decade+.

Most of the listings just ID the item as a generic office or task chair, so it's hard to tell if they're worth persuing. But I have found a few listings that are within my budget ($300 or under) and actually say what it is. I'm just wondering if these prices are reasonable, if any of them are something I should jump on ASAP or if I should try and talk them down on the price or whatever. Or if there's any particular reasons I might want to pick one over the other.

(All of these are the same dealer)
Steelcase Criterion, "like new" - $99
Steelcase Criterion, new - $150
Steelcase Criterion Plus, new - $300 in the CL listing, but $225 on their linked website

(One seller has one with the headrest and a slight fabric "flaw", the other has several of the task char without headrests)
Humanscale Freedom - $250

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

chizad posted:

I've been using the same el cheapo office store $99 special desk chair for about a decade now and it's well past time I replace it. I've been browsing Craigslist to try and find something inexpensive but not craptacular as an immediate replacement while I research/save for what I actually want to sit in for the next decade+.

Most of the listings just ID the item as a generic office or task chair, so it's hard to tell if they're worth persuing. But I have found a few listings that are within my budget ($300 or under) and actually say what it is. I'm just wondering if these prices are reasonable, if any of them are something I should jump on ASAP or if I should try and talk them down on the price or whatever. Or if there's any particular reasons I might want to pick one over the other.

(All of these are the same dealer)
Steelcase Criterion, "like new" - $99
Steelcase Criterion, new - $150
Steelcase Criterion Plus, new - $300 in the CL listing, but $225 on their linked website

(One seller has one with the headrest and a slight fabric "flaw", the other has several of the task char without headrests)
Humanscale Freedom - $250

I thought the freedom was alright but everyone else in my family who have tried it didn't care for it. If you live in/near CT I could probably let mine go for less since it's presently just taking up room.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 12, 2014

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
I have a Steelcase Leap at my new job and it is the best thing.

I pretty much need one immediately at home.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I got a tall workbench type desk. Is there a good drafter chair that people recommend to replace my lovely $20 stool?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Christobevii3 posted:

I got a tall workbench type desk. Is there a good drafter chair that people recommend to replace my lovely $20 stool?

How much do you want to spend? There's drafting versions of some of the standard "good chairs" from Steelcase/Herman Miller.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

Duck and Cover posted:

I thought the freedom was alright but everyone else in my family who have tried it didn't care for it. If you live in/near CT I could probably let mine go for less since it's presently just taking up room.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm in Kansas City so that'd be a hell of a drive just to pick up a chair.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I sent back the Mirra I bought because I found the plastic back to be too hard when I am in a reclined position. It didn't flex very well and I had pressure points in the middle of my back that caused discomfort after about 20 minutes.

I think I'm ready to buy a chair from an authorized dealer either online or in person. Does anyone know of a site I can buy a Leap v2 for less than the current standard price of $919.00 that carries the warranty?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I got a brand new leather leap v2 ($1400 msrp?) for $400 from a nice man on craigslist, try there. The premium for an authorized dealer is probably going to be significant..

SplitDestiny
Sep 25, 2004
I found a replica of this chair http://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/living/herman-miller-collection/eames-aluminum-group-leather-multipurpose-chairs

http://www.amazon.com/LexMod-Ribbed-Office-Genuine-Leather/dp/B004BMEFI6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top and here
http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-Comfort-MC-614-BL-Adjustable-Heavy-Duty/dp/B00BHXBLOI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I liked the chair in the store but no way am I paying 2 grand for the original. It would be nice to find a true leather replica though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Holy poo poo those things cost 2 grand? They are not very comfortable or particularly good looking in my opinion.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Inspector_666 posted:

Holy poo poo those things cost 2 grand? They are not very comfortable or particularly good looking in my opinion.

The target audience for chairs that cost 2 grand... Is anyone who thinks it's normal to pay 2 grand for a chair.

It's kind of an item for someone who gives their personal interior designer a blank check. I'm pretty sure a gold toilet seat isn't comfortable, but it's so expensive it MUST be worth it!

... That's actually kind of Herman Miller's main audience, actually. Some of their chairs being appealing to normal office workers was almost an accident.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm pretty sure a gold toilet seat isn't comfortable, but it's so expensive it MUST be worth it!

It will slowly form to your rear end over time.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

How much do you want to spend? There's drafting versions of some of the standard "good chairs" from Steelcase/Herman Miller.

Would $300 be enough for an ok chair?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Christobevii3 posted:

Would $300 be enough for an ok chair?

I've seen used on craigslist in that range, usually Steelcase Criterions.

StainlessBanner
Dec 23, 2006

Maybe you shouldn't kiss and tell
I just ordered a Steelcase Think for $299 from National Office Liquidators. The Think has gotten good reviews in this thread. They have several other similar models in that range and I think it's a little more reputable than Madison Seating. Shipping is a little slow (will take 2-4 weeks to get from Phoenix to Chicago but it's free from warehouse to warehouse). Good customer service on the phone.

http://www.nationalofficeliquidators.com/catalog/shop/nationwide/desk-chairs/allbrands?sort1=brand&order1=desc&sort2=model&order2=asc

pwh
Aug 9, 2010
Thought I'd share my recent adventure buying a Leap...

I bought a Leap a few weeks ago from Wayfair since they had a 10% off your first purchase deal, and I figured that was the best I was going to get for a warrantied purchase without waiting forever. I opened up the stupidly enormous box the chair ships in, and... it was broken. The inner lower back plastic supports were broken apart, so the backing was attached only through the top two moldings. The box wasn't that beaten up either, so I really have no idea how it got like that. I was pretty upset, understandably I think, and called up Wayfair to figure out what to do. Had to wait 40 minutes to reach a rep. Finally reached someone and they were instantly sympathetic, and without me having to show them any proof or anything, just straight up ordered me a replacement Leap within about 30 seconds of me explaining the situation. They said I could keep / throw away / donate the broken one. My jaw almost hit the floor, and I think the rep misinterpreted my exasperated glee with displeasure and kept on apologizing profusely. I told her I was actually elated, thanked her and that was it. The call was probably 2 minutes.

In the mean time, I've fixed up the broken one with some PlasticWeld and FiberFix. It looks ugly, but drat if it isn't comfortable. I took somewhat of a gamble on the Leap, since I had tried the Mirra (loved the back and reclining motion, but it cut off circulation a bit to my thighs), Embody (liked it, but the cushioning was weird, probably wasn't adjusted right), Aeron (meh), and Freedom (weird), but none of them really made me happy enough to pull the trigger. Very happy with my decision now, because despite my janky repair job the seat snugs my back like nothing I've had before, and I can get the armrests and seat depth to exactly the right positions. The firmness is also really nice, since I generally dislike squishy things.

Anyone else ever had issues like mine receiving a Leap? I've never really heard of them breaking except for the casters or armrests wearing down over time.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The Vikings posted:

Any thoughts on mirra 1 vs 2? Had the chance to try out a mirra 1 which was pretty comfortable and it's cheaper than the mirra 2s. Can't find any 2s around to try sitting in.

I know this is an older post but when I ordered my Embody at the Herman-Miller dealer, they were having a launch party of the Mirra 2 the same day so I was able to sit back and forth between them.

Speaking as someone who never sat in either, I did prefer the 2. I actually liked it so much when our office manager told me they were needing to buy 6 chairs for the guys up front I put him in touch with my salesperson at the Herman-Miller dealer.

In the end we didn't buy them because of $$$ (only $150 or so less than what I paid for my Embody!) but if I had to chose I'd take the Mirra 2 over the 1.

1 was pretty drat comfortable too though, so if the price is good enough for you I don't think you'd be disappointed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm anxiously awaiting mine. I ordered it during the Herman Miller sale and am now waiting out the 4-6 weeks for delivery. Right now they are saying it ships July 9th.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I'm thinking of diy-ing a sit stand platform to sit atop my desk. Was thinking of using a scissor jack of some type and a big piece off wood. Have any of you tried something like this and had success? I really want to do sit stand, but the cheapest two monitor sized adjustable stands I can find are 500.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I'm thinking of diy-ing a sit stand platform to sit atop my desk. Was thinking of using a scissor jack of some type and a big piece off wood. Have any of you tried something like this and had success? I really want to do sit stand, but the cheapest two monitor sized adjustable stands I can find are 500.

Anything can work as a height adjustable desk as long as it's stable. Here's the more important question: would you actually use it? Most people who use crank-type and counter-weight height adjustable desks stop standing pretty quickly because it's a pain to adjust them up and down. I can't imagine it's much easier to move a scissor jack up and down several times a day.

There's a reason the electric ones are the most popular, even though they're more expensive - people actually use them, because it's easy and quick to change the height.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I would. I have a hip injury and it hurts to stay in one posture for too long. I need to be able to switch back and forth but I don't have a grand to drop on a desk and won't for a long time.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Then totally go for it. If you actually use it, putting your monitor on top of a bunch of books can be a sit-stand desk.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Then totally go for it. If you actually use it, putting your monitor on top of a bunch of books can be a sit-stand desk.

I've tried that, but storing and shuffling around enough books for two 24" monitors, a keyboard, and a mouse is an insane hassle, thus me getting crafty. If it works I'll report back with a trip report.

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Anyone in the Seattle area use this steelcase reseller or have a local used chair vendor suggestion?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/fuo/4518225679.html

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Junkyard Poodle posted:

Anyone in the Seattle area use this steelcase reseller or have a local used chair vendor suggestion?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/fuo/4518225679.html

Ha, I've been eyeballing that guy on and off for a while, but he never returned my emails. If you pick one up, let me know how it goes :)

Otherwise I haven't seen anyone with super consistent inventory, just eyeballing craigslist to see who is offering what.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 28, 2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Does this look like a real areon?

Guy says he paid $1K for it a few years back and needs a knob, can probably get it for <$100

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

slidebite posted:

Does this look like a real areon?

Guy says he paid $1K for it a few years back and needs a knob, can probably get it for <$100

It looks a little small for an Aeron, and also it seems that one of the corners has broken off.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The image is broken for me. Can you put it up on Imagr or something?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The attached forum images seem to be broken, I think Che Delias was playing :)

Here

The tilt mechanism doesn't look quite right to me for an aeron.

StainlessBanner
Dec 23, 2006

Maybe you shouldn't kiss and tell

StainlessBanner posted:

I just ordered a Steelcase Think for $299 from National Office Liquidators. The Think has gotten good reviews in this thread. They have several other similar models in that range and I think it's a little more reputable than Madison Seating. Shipping is a little slow (will take 2-4 weeks to get from Phoenix to Chicago but it's free from warehouse to warehouse). Good customer service on the phone.

http://www.nationalofficeliquidators.com/catalog/shop/nationwide/desk-chairs/allbrands?sort1=brand&order1=desc&sort2=model&order2=asc

Just got my chair today from National Office Liquidators. It came in last week to the warehouse (so a little over 2 weeks to ship) but due to the 4th I wasn't able to make it up to Chicago until today to pick it up. They quoted me $200 to ship it to me from Chicago (about 2 hours away) so I just bit the bullet and made the drive this afternoon. Overall, I'm happy with the chair. It was exactly as advertised and they definitely cleaned it up...it looks almost brand new to me. I feel like I got a steal with the chair only being slightly more than if I had went to Staples (which we all know is crap). I've scoured Craigslist the last two months and nobody had chairs outside of the Walmart special so I went this route.

In short, I would recommend NOL for the individual purchase if you are located in/near Chicago, Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, or Tustin (CA). They are more geared for businesses buying in bulk (they really only ship freight which is why it was so high). The Chicago warehouse was a little tough to find but the shipping/receiving manager gave me his cell phone and helped with navigating the building. Really good customer service from both points of contact. I will almost certainly buy from them again when the Gesture starts getting liquidated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

After 5 weeks, my Mirra 2 finally arrived!

I'm still getting it dialed in, but so far things have been great. I'm 6'3" with a 36" inseam and it's weird having a chair that is tall enough that I DON'T have to have it on max height.