Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

I'll see if they have it in the america-section of the store (in Finland).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I know it's hot 'super loving hot' but I never learn my lesson with habanero sauce. Spiced up 1/2 cup of crappy restaurant salsa with a spoonful of this stuff, paid for it the rest of the night.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

Markoff Chaney posted:

Marie Sharps is indeed the best, I was introduced to it on a trip to Belize and it is literally the ketchup of that country, it is on every table.

Same, I had the fortune of staying just down the road from where they bottle it, and while their green habanero isn't very spicy, it's delicious with every food.

Zerok
Feb 23, 2014

Bob Morales posted:

I know it's hot 'super loving hot' but I never learn my lesson with habanero sauce. Spiced up 1/2 cup of crappy restaurant salsa with a spoonful of this stuff, paid for it the rest of the night.

I have a bottle of this one at home.

The first time I used it, it was straight up in some sandwich. I must have drank like 2L of milk afterward because it was to hot for me.

I have since then tried it in lower quantities in other stuff, but it was still to spicy. I found out the proper usage for it, add it in lower quantities in sauces or yogourt marinade. It works quite well with those.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Spoon Man posted:

My favorite is the green habanaro el yucateco.

Texas Pete makes a Sriracha. I use it like ketchup.

Isn't that how its supposed to be used?

Hella Paunchy
Jul 25, 2007
More fun than a stick in the eye.
Lee Kum Kee sriracha is the poo poo.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Bob Morales posted:

I think some part of me is dead inside. the green is hotter than the red, and I can just eat tablespoons of that stuff at a time without breaking a sweat. it's been a point of discussion with my girl and I recently, I keep on making dishes way hotter than normal she claims, and I've been insisting it's all the same. I don't know wtf. that brand makes some delicious hot sauces tho.

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010

Butch Cassidy posted:

I also like it in a vinaigrette where it will bring some spice and not compete with the other seasoning.

This is exactly what I do, except I don't even include the oil. I just use Tabasco as salad dressing, and it works really well for me. I don't really enjoy salad, so having a sauce with flavor and nothing bad for you in it except salt is great.

Fausty
May 16, 2014

"Flowers!"
"Is there a
John Luck Pickerd
here?"

I'm a fan of Frank's. It's not very spicy, but it's got drat good flavor.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Grabbed a bottle of this stuff while in Hawaii a few months ago:

http://adoboloco.com/

Usually I'm not the biggest fan of vinegary hot sauces but the one or two varieties I tried were great. Time to order some more soon

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

bunnielab posted:

Here is a question, I love mustard-based bbq sauces but I have never made one I am happy with. Can anyone recommend a good bottled brand for me to try? It's pulled pork season and I need something to get me started.

Matouk's calypso sauce is my favourite. It has a great heat from scotch bonnets with a nice sweeet mustardy flavour. I guess it's a caribbean style sauce.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

meeeeh on calypso sauce. I've not yet found anything I like it on. I could be biased because when I first tried it I was expecting just a straight scotch bonnet yellow sauce and got smashed in the face with mustard.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

CommonShore posted:

meeeeh on calypso sauce. I've not yet found anything I like it on. I could be biased because when I first tried it I was expecting just a straight scotch bonnet yellow sauce and got smashed in the face with mustard.

Well it is, y'know, a mustard-based sauce... like he was asking for recommendations for. That's just the style of sauce in parts of the Caribbean.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I completely overlooked the bit where he was asking for a recommendation and just fixated on the sauce.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
I really like this

If I really want heat I'll just use ghost pepper salsa.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I hate cocktail sauce but having hot sauce with shrimp is a good replacement. ketchup is disgusting too

Forbin5
May 24, 2014

Fausty posted:

I freakin love this stuff.

Big Head Rico
Oct 9, 2012
I've started buying bottles of this stuff from a local taco place.

It reminds me of Dave's Insanity Sauce, but with a better flavor and a little bit less heat.

mr. sexy
Mar 16, 2006
Her?

negro banter posted:

Secret Aardvark?

This. The perfect intersection of salsa and hot sauce.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
For the last sixth months or so, I've been really enjoying this sauce. I love it on pretty much any savory dish, on account of my philistine culinary preferences. It is known to contain unacceptably high levels of lead and pesticides, and I wish to be able to make my own facsimile at home that does not possess these weaknesses. I've googled "habanero sauce recipe" repeatedly, but they're invariably over two-thirds carrots, one-quarter water, and with trace amounts of other ingredients. I just want to know how to make a sauce that tastes like it's angry at me (but not Dave's Gourmet angry at me) but won't cause me permanent plumbism. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, and have a good night.

edit: Savory dish, not non-savory dish, obviously. I ain't slathering it on Ben & Jerry's.

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 2, 2014

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Nigmaetcetera posted:

For the last sixth months or so, I've been really enjoying this sauce. I love it on pretty much any non-savory dish, on account of my philistine culinary preferences. It is known to contain unacceptably high levels of lead and pesticides, and I wish to be able to make my own facsimile at home that does not possess these weaknesses. I've googled "habanero sauce recipe" repeatedly, but they're invariably over two-thirds carrots, one-quarter water, and with trace amounts of other ingredients. I just want to know how to make a sauce that tastes like it's angry at me (but not Dave's Gourmet angry at me) but won't cause me permanent plumbism. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, and have a good night.

I make a bottle of this garlicky ghost pepper sauce every year. It's mostly fresh habaneros with a few ghost peppers for extra kick but you could just substitute more habaneros for those. I add a couple of canned chipotles to the mix for a nice smoky flavour. It has a great flavour and a few drops are enough on almost anything. I find it tastes best after a couple of weeks in the fridge and will stop settling after a while if you give it a shake regularly.

e: I also love yucateca habanero sauce and was sad to hear about the lead levels. my homemade stuff is a pretty good substitute in my opinion.

large hands fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 28, 2014

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Gonna second the jalapeno tobasco stuff...man, it's not even really that spicy, just incredibly flavorful. Highly recommended!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

rj54x posted:

That, my friend, is why they make this:

I picked up a bottle of this for sixty-seven-goddamn cents on account of this thread. Normal suburban supermarket but by chance it has the Mexico-style pour cap instead of the shaker cap, which is handy since I'm basically pouring it straight down my throat. :v: It's going to be a permanent addition to my pantry.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

No one has mentioned Deer Camp yet. I may be misinformed, but I find their sauces quite good.

pancaek
Feb 6, 2004

sup fellaz

indoflaven posted:

I really like this

If I really want heat I'll just use ghost pepper salsa.

Tapatio is the sun and the stars, the alpha and omega, the greatest of all hot sauces.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

FATWOLF posted:

I make a bottle of this garlicky ghost pepper sauce every year. It's mostly fresh habaneros with a few ghost peppers for extra kick but you could just substitute more habaneros for those. I add a couple of canned chipotles to the mix for a nice smoky flavour. It has a great flavour and a few drops are enough on almost anything. I find it tastes best after a couple of weeks in the fridge and will stop settling after a while if you give it a shake regularly.

e: I also love yucateca habanero sauce and was sad to hear about the lead levels. my homemade stuff is a pretty good substitute in my opinion.

Thanks, going to a gourmet market today and hopefully they'll have fresh or dried ghost chillies and anything else I need for that recipe.. Unfortunately, I'm still gonna be using a bottle of kutbil-ik de habanero in the chili con carne/chili verde hybrid I'm making today, as I'm entering it into an amateur cook-off and was told by one of the judges it would be a shoe-in after she tried it. A few tablespoons won't shut down anyone's kidneys or cause the collapse of the Roman Empire, I figure.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

EdBlackadder posted:

Isn't that how its supposed to be used?

I actually don't like Sriracha as a condiment, but when I'm cooking any poultry or meat I'll add it in with my spices and prefer it that way. So who knows.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Fausty posted:

I have been eating a ton of this since I found it a few months ago at Whole Foods. Its got a similar flavor to Franks but with more heat and a more complex flavor. Its really loving good.
https://twitter.com/obrothers

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Thanks, going to a gourmet market today and hopefully they'll have fresh or dried ghost chillies and anything else I need for that recipe.. Unfortunately, I'm still gonna be using a bottle of kutbil-ik de habanero in the chili con carne/chili verde hybrid I'm making today, as I'm entering it into an amateur cook-off and was told by one of the judges it would be a shoe-in after she tried it. A few tablespoons won't shut down anyone's kidneys or cause the collapse of the Roman Empire, I figure.

No worries if you can't find ghost peppers it would be fine with straight fresh habanero I think. I definitely recommend adding a couple of canned chipotles, though. It really improves the flavour and gives a nice reddish colour too.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Finally got my hands on some Grumpy Lady chinese chili in oil. Tastes like rear end. Am I just meant to eat the oil, or the dried hard bits of chili as well?

TheDoc
Jul 27, 2006

Looks like someone's got a case of the mondays!
I haven't seen anyone mention Blair's in this thread yet (or at least there are no images). Blair is mainly known for his Super Hots (>100k scoville sauces) but for those who are looking for a bit more flavor than heat, Blair's Pure Death is my go to sauce. Don't be scared by it's claim that it has Naga Jolakia (ghost chilis) it does, but only in very small concentration. The sauce has a very clean peppery flavor, not too heavy on the vinegar, and not crazy on additional flavorings and spices. There's no murky, bitter extract flavor, like Dave's or Blair's ultra hot sauces, it's just a sweet, peppery, flavor with a little bit of a vinegar kick. I've put it on everything from hotdogs to fried rice and everything in between. Hell, I've even eaten this plane on chips when I had no other salsa. It's absolutely one of the best sauces I've ever had.

If you're looking for something with a similar flavor profile, but still not extract levels of heat, I recommend Trinidad Morgua Scorpion by CaJohn's. It's got tomato in it as well, but the star of the sauce is definitely the peppers/vinegar. It packs a little more heat than the Blair's, and might be too much for hot sauce beginners, but I've been wanting a slightly hotter version of Pure Death for a long time. This sauce is that ticket.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheDoc fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 5, 2014

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Tasty.

Good for wonton

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I really dislike sriracha because it's sickeningly sweet to me. Cholula works pretty great though. It's got a nice flavour to it.

Also here is my favourite hot sauce of all time

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

:kimchi:

Do you also just nibble on them when you can't be arsed to bring out a knife and a chopping board? :shobon: So good. I'm hooked to just mixing them finely sliced with a little fish sauce and nothing else, but all that salt...

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

d3rt posted:

Finally got my hands on some Grumpy Lady chinese chili in oil. Tastes like rear end. Am I just meant to eat the oil, or the dried hard bits of chili as well?

All of it

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Is Cholua any cheaper if bought in bulk? I ask because it's my favorite sauce, but at $5 or so for a small bottle, it's absurdly expensive.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

Annath posted:

Is Cholua any cheaper if bought in bulk? I ask because it's my favorite sauce, but at $5 or so for a small bottle, it's absurdly expensive.

I am assuming you are talking about the 5 ounce bottles? If so that's $1 an ounce. You can get it for less than $0.50 an ounce if you buy a half gallon from amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Cholula-Hot-Sauce-Half-Gallon/dp/B00CBIKWAW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1406150779&sr=8-4&keywords=Cholula

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I have this serious fetish for the Cholula chipotle version.

Good lord it's just so perfect. Lots of flavor, not tons of heat.

I otherwise douse everything with the regular Cholula or Tapatio.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.
Made from the HP22-B Carolina Reaper, currently the hottest pepper in the world. It's loving amazing and produces a very real endorphin rush.

Also, the Carolina Reaper looks like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

El Marrow posted:

Made from the HP22-B Carolina Reaper, currently the hottest pepper in the world. It's loving amazing and produces a very real endorphin rush.

Also, the Carolina Reaper looks like this:

That is a weird rear end looking pepper