Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

This game will probably be poo poo in execution. We have literally seen footage of it being poo poo (the non-reactive androids and hyper-linear level structure). And yet slowly, people are coming around and getting excited. If we go the earlier parts of the thread, I make very similar comments about the aliens in Colonial Marines from similar gameplay footage, yet people saw the same footage as me and got super optimistic somehow.

The real cycle though will be it makes people appreciate and like Colonial Marines like how AvP 2010 became an eternal goon darling the week CM came out despite it being generally loathed by goons on release (compared to AvP2, which itself was not as appreciated as AvP1 when it first launched).

Like, how much further downhill do they have to go?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

hosed up the first word sorry has been edited.

Sonic and Alien fans, man.

I figured that is what you meant. But I honestly think this game will be a heap of poo poo as it stands now. So don't mistake my curiosity for hope. And I have some pretty drat low standards. After all, I loved the Marine campaign in the recent AvP. I also somewhat enjoyed the multiplayer.

Neo Rasa posted:

This game will probably be poo poo in execution. We have literally seen footage of it being poo poo (the non-reactive androids and hyper-linear level structure). And yet slowly, people are coming around and getting excited. If we go the earlier parts of the thread, I make very similar comments about the aliens in Colonial Marines from similar gameplay footage, yet people saw the same footage as me and got super optimistic somehow.

The real cycle though will be it makes people appreciate and like Colonial Marines like how AvP 2010 became an eternal goon darling the week CM came out despite it being generally loathed by goons on release (compared to AvP2, which itself was not as appreciated as AvP1 when it first launched).

Also, AvP 2010 was ok when it was released. A:CM was universally poo poo. I think some goons were trying to defend the versus as not poo poo, but we saw how that panned out.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Neo Rasa posted:

A:CM was just made incompetently. If Gearbox did the easiest thing and made it Wolfenstein 2014: Alien, it would've been an acceptable game.

CA looks like they actually care about how Alien: Isolation goes. All it needs is to be a well-made Outlast: Alien.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I figured that is what you meant. But I honestly think this game will be a heap of poo poo as it stands now. So don't mistake my curiosity for hope. And I have some pretty drat low standards. After all, I loved the Marine campaign in the recent AvP. I also somewhat enjoyed the multiplayer.

Also, AvP 2010 was ok when it was released. A:CM was universally poo poo. I think some goons were trying to defend the versus as not poo poo, but we saw how that panned out.

Oh yeah I never disliked AvP, it just didn't really blow me away like AvP1's single player or AvP2's multiplayer did. I just mean that as each new Alien game comes out, the previous one people were disappointed in is suddenly remembered fondly (because disappointment is so high because of unrealistic expectations of the new game). There's even a point in this thread where there was more talk about organizing AvP2010 matches than there was about Colonial Marines.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm going to get excited for anything that has the word Alien on it.

Weather I like it or not is a totally different story.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Oh yeah I never disliked AvP, it just didn't really blow me away like AvP1's single player or AvP2's multiplayer did. I just mean that as each new Alien game comes out, the previous one people were disappointed in is suddenly remembered fondly (because disappointment is so high because of unrealistic expectations of the new game). There's even a point in this thread where there was more talk about organizing AvP2010 matches than there was about Colonial Marines.

Actually, I think there was a point in this thread where we reinstalled A:CM to run through it and see how lovely it was. It did not disappoint. I think the highlights of it were watching a goon get killed over and over by that Bull alien or whatever the gently caress it is that you are supposed to be running from.

In other news, I still haven't finished the DS Aliens game. I just keep losing a bunch of marines to this one boss and I know it doesn't really matter, but I dunno, it wasn't really that interesting of a game to me.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I wanted to love Infestation but the level design and the combat just wasn't interesting enough to hold my attention.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

blackguy32 posted:

Actually, I think there was a point in this thread where we reinstalled A:CM to run through it and see how lovely it was. It did not disappoint. I think the highlights of it were watching a goon get killed over and over by that Bull alien or whatever the gently caress it is that you are supposed to be running from.

In other news, I still haven't finished the DS Aliens game. I just keep losing a bunch of marines to this one boss and I know it doesn't really matter, but I dunno, it wasn't really that interesting of a game to me.

i did that a few days ago, the aliens have the tiniest better AI but the mercs still suck and their death animations are still broken.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

I'm going to get excited for anything that has the word Alien on it.

Weather I like it or not is a totally different story.
Ditto for me, only I know already that I'm going to like it. gently caress the haters. :colbert:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

This re-writing of history where AVP 2010 is a good game because A:CM happened is pretty funny. They are both more or less a waste. I have a grim curiosity about A:CM but won't satisfy it for more than $2.50 or so.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

This re-writing of history where AVP 2010 is a good game because A:CM happened is pretty funny. They are both more or less a waste. I have a grim curiosity about A:CM but won't satisfy it for more than $2.50 or so.

Yeah AvP3 was terrible and I knew from the very first multiplayer demo.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah it's funny that AVP2010 is a "good game" not compared to you know, almost any other good game, but compared to ACM. Any alien game is definitely in the "try before buy" category for me perpetually nowadays

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
I can safely say this game looks like a game I would immensely enjoy watching someone else play.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I remain alone in my enjoyment of AvP 2010 :( It wasn't the greatest game ever but it had a lot of presentation. It wasn't particularly offensive to me at least. I haven't played CM though.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I remain alone in my enjoyment of AvP 2010 :( It wasn't the greatest game ever but it had a lot of presentation. It wasn't particularly offensive to me at least. I haven't played CM though.

I paid full price for the game and never regretted it. I thought it was super fun, if a little corny at times.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I enjoyed it since release as well.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

blackguy32 posted:

I enjoyed it since release as well.
Ditto, but that goes without saying. :v:

AvPClassic is still the best, though.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Finally got all caught up with the new Isolation media; what the heck, it can't possibly be worse than Colonial Marines, right?

Right?

Screw it, I wasn't going to use that money to pay off crippling debts anyways.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Even if this game gets a 90 on metacritic i'm not going to pay more than 30 for it because I just don't care that much about the franchise anymore. Too many lovely films/games have made me bored.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ChickenHeart posted:

Finally got all caught up with the new Isolation media; what the heck, it can't possibly be worse than Colonial Marines, right?

Right?

Screw it, I wasn't going to use that money to pay off crippling debts anyways.

same. i am geting da 3 and shadow of morder the same day. so hopefully all three wont suck

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

I assume this is yet another reference to alien fans heavily anticipating the new aliens game despite their misgivings, before swallowing a mouthful of poo poo on launch day.

There has been one straight-up bad game in the franchise since the internet became a thing. One. Two, if you want to really stretch it (personally I thought AVP 2010 was pretty decent from the start).

Honestly, the androids look fine. Obviously they're non-reactive, they're pretty much acting like Ash from the scene in Alien where he tries to kill Ripley.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
They really need to crib more from Amnesia.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

pengun101 posted:

same. i am geting da 3 and shadow of morder the same day. so hopefully all three wont suck

Honestly, even though I said the video posted earlier made me more optimistic, I'd still much sooner preorder DA3 or SoM than Isolation, and I only got interested in SoM today when I remembered it existed and looked up the E3 trailer. The Isolation video showed us some nice looking things, and it seems like it won't want you to take on Xenos head on which is good, but if most of the rooms I see in your trailer are hallways, you either picked the worst parts to show off, or your game is going to be boring as poo poo because nobody likes hallways. gently caress hallways.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

Ditto for me, only I know already that I'm going to like it. gently caress the haters. :colbert:

But neither you, or the "haters" know that yet. The game could be great, it could be OK/mediocre, or it could be poo poo. Speculation is fine, but there aren't any haters or lovers just yet.

DrProsek posted:

but if most of the rooms I see in your trailer are hallways, you either picked the worst parts to show off, or your game is going to be boring as poo poo because nobody likes hallways. gently caress hallways.

But this is literally where 80% of all Alien movies take place in. :psyduck:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

We have two bad (yes, bad) alien games in a row. If you pay $60 for any game at all ever these days you're a sucker, if you pay $60 for an alien game, you earn credit toward a place at Xenomrph's right hand in his all-consuming quest to collect every alien toy, media, and tie-in ever created.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

o.m. 94 posted:

The demo is just showing off what you can expect to happen if you do, game demos generally like to showcase all kinds of different types of mechanics. It doesn't take a genius to work out you're meant to stealth or EMP them.
It doesn't take a genius to work out that having to hide from both wooden androids and an Alien seems like a frustrating idea. If I get the means to hit an android, burn an android and still have to hide from it then what's the point.

CelticPredator posted:

Speculation is fine, but there aren't any haters or lovers just yet.
You can be sure Xenomorph is a lover and because of that logically everybody who criticises the game for any reason whatsoever is a hater.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

But this is literally where 80% of all Alien movies take place in. :psyduck:

What works in movies doesn't work in games. For example, a movie is 2-3 hours. A movie doesn't need to camera to walk down every single hallway in the film showing off every inch of it for the film to progress. A (good) movie won't have a bunch of action scenes in a row that are identical in identical hallways.

A game, on the other hand, is much longer so repeated/similar environments are more noticeable. When a fight in a hallway is over, you don't skip ahead to a new area, you get to march through the same hallway you've been looking at for the past few hours and enjoy it some more.

E:
And if your game has stealth elements, good luck making that fun in a bunch of linear corridors.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 12, 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fair enough, but eh, I kinda want hallways in Alien games because ya know, accuracy. Any other game I might be with you, but I sorta dislike video games on a whole now. Only interested in this game because it has the word Alien on it. Hah.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Did AVP2010 retroactively become a pile of poo poo when A:CM was bad? :psyduck: I remember the reception of it being kind of lukewarm when it first came out but I never saw any opinions of it more negative than "meh, it's alright, pick it up on the cheap" until fairly recently.

Also, this game wears its Amnesia and Outlast influences on its sleeve, no poo poo it's going to be linear. Those games weren't exactly GTA.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

From what I remember, people started to appreciate what AvP2010 tried to do after seeing CM. Or at least I did. I remember playing the Marine Campaign again in AvP and being blown away by how much this game got right in comparison. Shame every other campaign was kinda iffy. But Marine rules.

Also, I had a loving blast playing Infection, or whatever that multiplayer game was that starts off with one alien vs a squad of marines. It was like 15 people in the game, and we were all yelling Aliens quotes the entire time. :allears:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I'm not going to comment about the gameplay of the demo we saw from E3 because I'm skeptical myself about whether this game will be good or not and have taken a wait and see approach. However, as to why these androids are so different and much durable compared to what we've seen in the movie, someone asked the dev this very same question during their playthrough and a dev straight up said they're not Weyland androids, they're cheaper labor focused robotic knock-offs produced by a competitor; so from a story perceptive they make more sense as to why they're more durable and don't react to say being lit on fire or whacked in the head. They're less of a robot designed to imitate life as close as humanly possible and more a traditional robot made of knots and bolts just dress up to look human.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 12, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Also, this game wears its Amnesia and Outlast influences on its sleeve, no poo poo it's going to be linear. Those games weren't exactly GTA.

I don't mind the idea that it's going to be linear, but it creates a weird situation when comparing it to those two games, because Isolation is going to be a $60 AAA game, while those were $20 indie games.

This game is going to need to be something more than that to justify the price. They can't just make Outlast in space, that game was like 3 hours long and incredibly limited in terms of systems and interactivity. Fine, they nailed the art design already, I still haven't seen any ambition or particularly interesting gameplay ideas in what they've shown so far.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SALT CURES HAM posted:

No, but ever area in Amnesia had a certain level of openness to it which allowed you to explore while you tried to figure out what to do. This game looks like you're going through a funnel. The human/android interaction is awful and I'm pretty sure I taste a bit of vomit.

AvP2010 owned by the way. Well, the Marine Campaign did and the multiplayer was pretty legit. The Alien Campaign sucked and I never finished the Predator Campaign because gently caress that stupid Melee system.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Back Hack posted:

I'm not going to comment about the gameplay of the demo we saw from E3 because I'm skeptical myself about whether this game will be good or not and have taken a wait and see approach. However, as to why these androids are so different and much durable compared to what we've seen in the movie, someone asked the dev this very same question during their playthrough and a dev straight up said they're not Weyland androids, they're cheaper labor focused robotic knock-offs produced by a competitor; so from a story perceptive they make more sense as to why they're more durable and don't react to say being lit on fire or whacked in the head. They're less of a robot designed to imitate life as close as humanly possible and more a traditional robot made of knots and bolts just dress up to look human.
I love when devs make up plot elements to justify lovely gameplay ideas. People were afraid we're going to be fighting humans instead of Aliens in this game but right now it looks like it will be even worse with the introduction of what comes down to android zombies.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

SALT CURES HAM posted:

When people say the game should be open, they don't mean open world free roam GTA game, they mean that the levels should be designed so that you have multiple routes through the room because when everything is a hallway, it's hard to feel scared you'll pick the wrong path when there's like 3 and you can brute force it in the time it takes to make a pot of coffee.

Although, I checked the game's wikipedia page, and there is a link to an article about some stuff Creative Assembly said about the game, and they actually talked about the level design and mentioned what people wanted w/r/t nonlinear levels;

quote:

16. Level design is open and littered with alternative routes

The concept of facing an alien that could be anywhere challenged Alien: Isolation’s level designers to create environments with no closed off areas, no linear corridors, nowhere for players to be inescapably trapped. Environments needed to be big enough for the Xenomorph to stalk through and attack from any angle, while also giving players a possible means of escape.

The result is a lot of open areas, with multiple entry and exit points to every room, as well as alternative routes for both the alien and the player to use, such as under the floor. There are also lockers to hide in.

“Sometimes it’s best to hide,” said McKellan.
linky

Though as always: it's nice to hear them say this, but I'll hold off until I can hear from someone who played a good solid chunk of the game (like playing through an entire level or two of the final product) and can vouch for whether the game's quality before I make plans on when to get it.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jun 12, 2014

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
It looks shithouse, I have zero confidence in it even being decent. Also how the gently caress are they going to hand wave away you just incinerating the alien the second you get the flamethrower?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Execu-speak posted:

Also how the gently caress are they going to hand wave away you just incinerating the alien the second you get the flamethrower?
There's most likely a canon explaination that makes it totally logical and you can find it in the epilogue of the editorial of the artbook of Alien: the comic: the game: the magical diary.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Do Xenomorphs even care about Androids much? Almost everything in the films or EU makes it up androids get to waltz past unless deliberate pissing off a alien or threatening the hive in some form.

Edit: ^^ Same way a xenomorph survived falling into lava

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Execu-speak posted:

It looks shithouse, I have zero confidence in it even being decent. Also how the gently caress are they going to hand wave away you just incinerating the alien the second you get the flamethrower?

Going to assume that if the Alien is in range of the Flamethrower it'll kill you regardless, other than that it'll just run away from the fire. There's probably no way to actually "hit" it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

All things considered this game will be at least interesting as a virtual tour of the film set because drat, those environments look great in every video.

It would be probably even better as a Myst-like adventure game with no combat at all, just walking around and solving puzzles in a horror Alien environment. Hell, even Myst had tons of game over states where the villain would kill you if you made a mistake and that would work pretty well with Alien.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 12, 2014

• Locked thread