Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Apparently there are already Iranian troops in Iraq http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/middleeast/iraq/article4116273.ece

I say we arm both sides and see who comes out on top. It's always worked for us in the past, only this time we should be giving them neutron bombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

Apparently there are already Iranian troops in Iraq http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/middleeast/iraq/article4116273.ece

I say we arm both sides and see who comes out on top. It's always worked for us in the past, only this time we should be giving them neutron bombs.

Considering all of the military aid that we give Iraq and the weapons that we're dumping into Syria, we kind of already are arming both sides.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Then we should be sending inspectors to make sure there ARE weapons of mass destruction.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
I just hope this doesn't turn into a wider regional war.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I wonder what's going to happen when they lose control of ABOT and KAAOT. Almost all of Iraq's entire economy is based on the oil pumped out of those.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Who lives longer, al-Maliki or Karzai?

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

go3 posted:

Depends on whether Karzai plans to stay in country after the new president takes over. If he bolts to the UAE or Europe at his first chance he may live a long life funded by the graft of the last decade.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmRAiUPdRjk

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Flikken posted:

This is the pinnacle of Poe's Law.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

go3 posted:

They might surprise you. I didn't expect Musharaff to last a week once he went back to Pakistan, but he's alive and making moves last I heard.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Flikken posted:

Why not? It could do with a spring clean.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

WHO RUN BAGH-DAD?

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
It's time for Kurdistan to finally exist, but most likely a third power will come into play. Hopefully China, but most likely Iran or Turkey or Saudi Arabia or someone gay

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Perhaps we should arm ISIS so Iraq can can be Iran's Iraq :getin:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

Perhaps we should arm ISIS so Iraq can can be Iran's Vietnam :getin:

FTFY

And I guess that would make us the French post Dien-Bien Phu.

Brenwolf
Oct 24, 2005

I quite enjoy Tom Peepery.
If Iraq wants us to launch air strikes so badly, can we earnestly take them up on their offer and just glass that whole country?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

Uh, the Japanese had like 250+ years without any major wars before they were made to open to the west at gunpoint by the Americans. The point of almost every shogunate period Japanese media is how the lack of conflict was transforming the warrior class into largely glorified clerks.

By basically keeping the entire country locked into like the 14th century for nearly 4 hundred goddamn years so they could maintain their power base :qq:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

If history teaches me one thing it's that the Kurds are going to get screwed somehow.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Smiling Jack posted:

If history teaches me one thing it's that the Kurds are going to get screwed somehow.

Especially if turkey has anything to say about it

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

"Lovers of schadenfreude rejoiced today as the WMDs purported to be in Iraq at the end of the Hussein regime were actually stored in areas now belonging to the new nation of Kurdistan. Thousands are feared dead in Baghdad while Kurds everywhere were heard to chant the Takbir and 'How do you like us now?!'"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_wEs9x7G3w

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Smiling Jack posted:

Probably. But hey, the jews managed to make a comeback after a few millenia of bad luck. So it's not entirely unprecedented.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Godholio posted:

No we didn't, we went in to topple Saddam. That's as far as our plan went. We didn't even move to secure the borders for months. Reconstruction contractors and supplies should have been right behind the ships carrying tanks and MREs. But...nope.

I still don't think it would've ended well, but reconstruction never had a chance to succeed. We stormed the valley and let Iran et al have the overlooking hills.

I'd rather invade Puerto Rico. It'd be great without so many drat Puerto Ricans.

I am well aware of how things went down- I should have been more clear. That was the intent on how to "fix" Iraq- topple Saddam then everything will be better. Too bad the war was run by mouth breathing retards.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

bulletsponge13 posted:

I am well aware of how things went down- I should have been more clear. That was the intent on how to "fix" Iraq- topple Saddam then everything will be better. Too bad the war was run by mouth breathing retards.

Cobra II is amazing on the planning for the war. Rumsfeld actually was pushing for just making an enclave near Kuwait, training those who showed up yearning for freedom, and then let freedom take its course. He had to be talked into invading the rest of the country. And he wasn't pushing for that from a risk limitation standpoint, just cost. It was idiots and ideologues top to bottom, even including Rumsfeld, a man described by Kissenger as one of the most ruthless he had ever met. Starry eyed and full of wonder, believing deep in the hearts of all men is an American. Though still penny pinching to the end.

Remember pre-war, how when challenged on the cause for war they would get defensive, but when challenged on it being over estimated cost Rumsfeld and Cheney and the rest would melt down. An incredible time.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

bulletsponge13 posted:

I remember a documentary which interviewed a bunch of people involved in reconstruction talking about how when they showed up shortly before the war began, there were no plans of any sort anywhere, they were understaffed, underfunded and their offices were short on even desks, telephones and chairs.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Best Friends posted:

Remember pre-war, how when challenged on the cause for war they would get defensive, but when challenged on it being over estimated cost Rumsfeld and Cheney and the rest would melt down. An incredible time.

I remember the fuckers saying that the whole war could be paid for with Iraq's oil revenues and that the entire enterprise would only cost us $10 Billion or so. I was young and drunk at the time, but even I was surprised by them pimping such a bullshit story on national TV.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Best Friends posted:

Cobra II is amazing on the planning for the war. Rumsfeld actually was pushing for just making an enclave near Kuwait, training those who showed up yearning for freedom, and then let freedom take its course. He had to be talked into invading the rest of the country. And he wasn't pushing for that from a risk limitation standpoint, just cost. It was idiots and ideologues top to bottom, even including Rumsfeld, a man described by Kissenger as one of the most ruthless he had ever met. Starry eyed and full of wonder, believing deep in the hearts of all men is an American. Though still penny pinching to the end.

link to this thing please.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Smiling Jack posted:

Dunno about that, the Kurds have been doing pretty well for themselves lately. The KRG is a pretty stable place (not just compared to Iraq in general) and even Turkey seems to be leaving them mostly alone. Also, unlike the Iraqi Army, the Peshmerga are one of the very few forces in that country who are somewhat professional, ideologically motivated, and won't abruptly drop their weapons at the first sign of trouble.

If ISIS tries to push north, they're in for a bigger fight than the IA can throw at them. I'd also expect the Kurds to make a few plays in Arbil and Sulaymaniyah, but I don't think they'll really make a huge grab and piss off what's left of the Iraqi government or Turkey.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
:lol:

http://www.duffelblog.com/2014/01/f...r#ixzz34RXVmFIh

(Sorry if Duffelblog isn't allowed in the current events thread.)

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

tuluk posted:

link to this thing please.

http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-II-Inside-Invasion-Occupation/dp/1400075394/

Here is a 2004 NRO (lol) article about the plan

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/210487/rumsfelds-war-powells-occupation/barbara-lerner

quote:

Rumsfeld’s plan was to train and equip–and then transport to Iraq–some 10,000 Shia and Sunni freedom fighters led by Shia exile leader Ahmed Chalabi and his cohorts in the INC, the multi-ethnic anti-Saddam coalition he created. There, they would have joined with thousands of experienced Kurdish freedom fighters, ably led, politically and militarily, by Jalal Talabani and Massoud Barzani. Working with our special forces, this trio would have sprung into action at the start of the war, striking from the north, helping to drive Baathist thugs from power, and joining Coalition forces in the liberation of Baghdad. That would have put a proud, victorious, multi-ethnic Iraqi face on the overthrow of Saddam Hussein, and it would have given enormous prestige to three stubbornly independent and unashamedly pro-American Iraqi freedom fighters: Chalabi, Talabani, and Barzani.

Naturally NRO thought that plan would have been a great idea if not for the fifth columnists and liberals who brought a great man down.

This was the first google result for Rumsfeld Plan 10000 and as a bonus it's a great insight into the mindset of Bush era republicanism, which cannot fail, only be failed, no matter how stupid the idea.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Flikken posted:

Dude what the gently caress do you think is going on over there

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

this is dumb ur dumb

also all the obummer blaming so far is amazing, everyone seems to forget the reason we don't have a force in Iraq currently is the iraqis wouldn't agree to the SOFA we proposed and wanted to have us troops accountable under Iraqi law in Iraqi courts, which lol @ that. also makes maliki begging for airstrikes even funnier, nigga u had your chance to get that and let it walk away

Maliki didn't really get uppity with the SOFA until we more or less faked the 2010 elections to keep our 'partner' in power. That was pretty much his carte blanche to turn on the Sunni as well, with predictable results. Before that the place was in a lot better shape, at least according to this far right wacko:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLteUGkvpOc

Maliki's an obvious shmuck and you can blame Bush for chucking him into the hot seat but for gently caress sake by 2010 surely we could've found someone better

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...411f_story.html

quote:

Iraqi media and a source close to Maliki’s office in Baghdad said that Obama had already agreed to “imminent” U.S. airstrikes, to be launched from a base in Turkey. The senior official described those reports as “premature” but said a decision could come “today, tomorrow, in the coming days.”

The official confirmed close U.S. consultations with the government of Turkey, which shares a border with Iraq, and with Iraq’s Kurdish regional government, which has deployed its own forces to guard roads and cities in and near its northern region.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
I see where this is going:

1991: Iraq
Airstrikes
2003: Iraq
Airstrikes
2025: Iraq
Airstrikes
2057: Iraq

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Mr. Nice! posted:

I wonder what's going to happen when they lose control of ABOT and KAAOT. Almost all of Iraq's entire economy is based on the oil pumped out of those.

Given where these are located (and the fact that Maliki's govt is basically an arm of the Iranian govt at this point), they would be pretty much the last bits of Iraq to fall to folks like ISIS.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Dude what the gently caress do you think is going on over there

lol

From that article:

quote:

“The element of shock came in how quickly the Iraqi security forces seem to have folded,” said a senior Western diplomat, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to comment publicly. “We were surprised by the minimal appetite to stand and fight, given that Iraqi forces are about a million strong and are well-equipped and trained by the United States, Britain” and others.

:laffo:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

Maliki's an obvious shmuck and you can blame Bush for chucking him into the hot seat but for gently caress sake by 2010 surely we could've found someone better

This seems to be a pattern. From Syngman Rhee to Karzai, why is it we can't find a guy to nation-build with that the nation in question actually likes?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MRC48B posted:

This seems to be a pattern. From Syngman Rhee to Karzai, why is it we can't find a guy to nation-build with that the nation in question actually likes?

I thought ROK strongmen were light years better then Karzai and Malaki, I mean Park was, and even Rhee.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MRC48B posted:

I'd prefer we find one over here first.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Yeah ROK strongmen were pretty competent as far as strongmen dictators go.

Assholes who thought nothing of rigging elections and slaughtering their own citizens, but goddamn if they didn't know how to run a country and develop an economy.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

IDK about that last part. It took until the 1980s for South Korea to unfuck itself.

EDIT: Economically, that is.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

MRC48B posted:

IDK about that last part. It took until the 1980s for South Korea to unfuck itself.

EDIT: Economically, that is.

The economy really took off in the '80s but it's not like that happened by magic, the groundwork was laid by what Park did in the '60s and '70s.

e: this is one of the funniest things duffelblog has done recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
This puts the Iraq stuff fairly well:
http://www.worldaffairsjournal.org/blog/michael-j-totten/beginning-end-iraq

I'm just going to quote it:

quote:

God only knows what happens next, but this much is clear—the Syrian war is no longer the Syrian war. It’s a regional war. It spilled into Lebanon at a low level some time ago. It sucked in Iran and Hezbollah some time ago. Now it is spreading with full force at blitzkrieg speed into Iraq and has even drawn in the Kurdistan Regional Government which managed to sit out the entire Iraq war.
In the future we might see the events of the last few days as the beginning of the end of Iraq as a state, or at least the beginning of the end of Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, whose American-trained army has proven utterly useless. Or maybe he’ll survive in an Iranian-backed rump state.

Maliki wants an American-backed rump state. Eli Lake in The Daily Beast reports that he’s asking for American air strikes and drone warfare.

But we are not going to save Iraq and we are not going to save Syria. It’s over. That’s what the Middle East wanted, and it’s what the Middle East is going to get.

Arab governments complain when we intervene and they complain when we don't intervene. Basically, they complain no matter what. So asking what they want is pointless. It takes a while to notice this trend over time, but there it is. They have not stopped to consider the consequences of this behavior, but those consequences are about to become apocalyptic for Nouri al-Maliki.

“We’ll kill you if you mess with us, but otherwise go die” is not even close to my preferred foreign policy, but it’s what President Barack Obama prefers (phrased much more nicely, of course) and it’s what the overwhelming majority of Americans prefer, including most liberals as well as conservatives.

Still, it’s only a matter of time before we get sucked in kicking and screaming one way or another. Because the Middle East isn’t Las Vegas. What happens there doesn’t stay there.

We're out for now, though. This is the time of festering.

• Locked thread