Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
OK so I don't know if you missed it, but during the demo footage a P* rep (I assume JP) mentions that there is a 2-player online coop mode to play as Bayonetta and Jeanne together. That sounds loving awesome and I trust that they can pull it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
I always wondered how co-op would be in a stylish action game.

Now somebody just needs to nut up an make an open-world stylish action game.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

That looks loving amazing. I want it.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Cthulhuchan posted:

I always wondered how co-op would be in a stylish action game.

Now somebody just needs to nut up an make an open-world stylish action game.

I imagine it would be a lot like Power Stone or Anarchy Reigns with some AI enemies.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The boss fight looks like a giant mess of particle effects and spectacle stuff that plagued a lot of Bayo's bad boss fights. That being said, it still looks better than most of those bosses because at least the Masked Lumen looks like the spectacle is just a background to the fight and you can still fight him. Not sure how I feel about in-flight combat there, but more will be seen as the game gets closer, I suppose.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Here's the E3 treehouse thingowhatsit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAHup4CXF9E. There's a new beast form so you can travel fast underwater, and Inferno looks amazing. I just wish/hope they'll be releasing the port a little earlier rather than simultaneously, there's people who want to experience it for the first time! (and I want to PP everything again)

And someone's ripped the 'Tomorrow Is Mine' track from the Japanese website for your listening pleasure: https://mega.co.nz/#!hRFmyDQD!Dy_tGAlJ5V6II5n0UKqWCM2ofkBhB-6NHuOXGvojOrM

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I like the little "gotcha" moments where it looks like the Sage's summons are about to shoot energy beams are whatever at Bayo, and then her summons interrupt them.

Also, man, my eyes. Flashiness is a thing and all in stylish-action games, but I hope I'm not getting too old to process all the explosions and poo poo. Maybe the lack of contrast between the action and the background is part of the reason why I still prefer DMC to Bayonetta up to now.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

yoshesque posted:

There's a new beast form so you can travel fast underwater,

Did they learn nothing from DMC2?

toasterwarrior posted:

I like the little "gotcha" moments where it looks like the Sage's summons are about to shoot energy beams are whatever at Bayo, and then her summons interrupt them.

Also, man, my eyes. Flashiness is a thing and all in stylish-action games, but I hope I'm not getting too old to process all the explosions and poo poo. Maybe the lack of contrast between the action and the background is part of the reason why I still prefer DMC to Bayonetta up to now.

I had a lot of problem with the first game before I got a new costume that didn't blend in with the background. Dante's coat has a purpose beyond looking flashy, it distinguishes him from the background, because IIRC very few things are that red in DMC while a lot of things are black/dark gray in Bayonetta.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Most of the enemies in Bayonetta are flashy and colorful which contrasts nicely with her suit.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

yoshesque posted:

There's a new beast form so you can travel fast underwater

Nooooooooooooooooo, stop doing underwater levels.

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah, I'm really not a big fan of these huge setpiece boss fights. At some point too much poo poo just starts happening and it gets really nutty and hard to follow. It's cool at first, but when I try to Platinum the game on a second playthrough and have a hard time focusing on my character because they are smaller on the screen than they should be, it's obnoxious. It only kind of worked in W101 and that's because your characters are already on a small scope.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

yoshesque posted:

There's a new beast form so you can travel fast underwater
Oh are we getting FPS underwater combat again?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Bayonetta 1's most important new feature: you can flip the Samus visor up/down during cutscenes.

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
The Peach costume's wicked weave is Bowser, holy poo poo. They just sold a Wii U.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I wonder if Bayonetta 2 will have any Nintendo homage levels like the Outrun and Space Harrier levels in Bayonetta 1. Also if Bayonetta 1 will still include the "Fantasy Zone" line along with the Space Harrier music/boss.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Bayonetta 1's most important new feature: you can flip the Samus visor up/down during cutscenes.

And use her arm cannon, making Bayonetta the best Metroid game in years.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
I've found that Bayonetta is very FPS sensitive - on the PS3 version, with its wonky FPS, I would occasionally lose her in a mass of particles - but on the x360 version it was always very clear.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Neo Rasa posted:

I wonder if Bayonetta 2 will have any Nintendo homage levels like the Outrun and Space Harrier levels in Bayonetta 1. Also if Bayonetta 1 will still include the "Fantasy Zone" line along with the Space Harrier music/boss.

SEGA didn't sell Bayonetta to Nintendo so I'm sure they'll still get credit as a publisher and a cut. They'll probably keep in all the SEGA references.

Although to be honest I wouldn't mind if they just swapped out all the references to Nintendo things a la Twin Snakes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

notZaar posted:

SEGA didn't sell Bayonetta to Nintendo so I'm sure they'll still get credit as a publisher and a cut. They'll probably keep in all the SEGA references.

Although to be honest I wouldn't mind if they just swapped out all the references to Nintendo things a la Twin Snakes.

They could keep the Space Harrier level exactly the same but off to the side you see Slippy come up to help you in his Arwing before getting immediately shot down.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

SurrealityCheck posted:

I've found that Bayonetta is very FPS sensitive - on the PS3 version, with its wonky FPS, I would occasionally lose her in a mass of particles - but on the x360 version it was always very clear.

Yeah, it and WipEout 2048 really need a high framerate to play well. I'm glad that the first game is coming to the Wii U as well, since this means I won't have to get another 360 to play the good version.

The PS3 port was bad because it was only made for the 360 by Platinum, and the PS3 port was done by SEGA since they thought it would have a market on the PS3. I can't find the sales for each platform outside of Japan, but there it sold 135,242 copies on the PS3 in the first week, and 64,325 copies on the 360, which was very respectable for the 360 considering its install base there.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

Yeah, it and WipEout 2048 really need a high framerate to play well. I'm glad that the first game is coming to the Wii U as well, since this means I won't have to get another 360 to play the good version.

The PS3 port was bad because it was only made for the 360 by Platinum, and the PS3 port was done by SEGA since they thought it would have a market on the PS3. I can't find the sales for each platform outside of Japan, but there it sold 135,242 copies on the PS3 in the first week, and 64,325 copies on the 360, which was very respectable for the 360 considering its install base there.

It was done by an absolutely tiny team at SEGA too. The whole story is both funny and sad :<

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013
On the subject of color, I find Bayonetta & Vanquish to be too washed out, like someone turned the brightness way up. Having a dark player and bright enemies should already be fine, maybe if the stages were something other than blistering white? Or if witch time didn't turn everything into the same color as Bayonetta? Like, I think it achieves the first level of visual coherence (you can tell enemy distance from the player), but looking at Vanquish for a few hours really dried my brain up. Like from the trailer, I noticed Scalebound has this huge emphasis on the color green, so while I'm happy to see more, I wish it weren't so monochromatic in it's initial impression.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Bayonetta 2's official site and dev blog first entry are up. Nothing terribly exciting so far, however the next part promises more info about the original game's port. Hopefully they will also discuss the coop mode soon.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I'm playing DMC3 HD and I can't pull off the Agni Rudra crazy combo to save my life. Is it a button mashing issue or is there some secret trick to it?

Dol
Feb 16, 2007

notZaar posted:

I'm playing DMC3 HD and I can't pull off the Agni Rudra crazy combo to save my life. Is it a button mashing issue or is there some secret trick to it?

If you are trying to execute it at low style ranks the required button presses to start any crazy combo can be downright insane. However at higher style ranks the requirement actually becomes smaller and the combo can be extended further with heavy mashing.

Hope that helps. If not: feel free to ignore me.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Next-Jin Engine posted:

On the subject of color, I find Bayonetta & Vanquish to be too washed out, like someone turned the brightness way up. Having a dark player and bright enemies should already be fine, maybe if the stages were something other than blistering white? Or if witch time didn't turn everything into the same color as Bayonetta? Like, I think it achieves the first level of visual coherence (you can tell enemy distance from the player), but looking at Vanquish for a few hours really dried my brain up. Like from the trailer, I noticed Scalebound has this huge emphasis on the color green, so while I'm happy to see more, I wish it weren't so monochromatic in it's initial impression.

A lot of 360 to PS3 ports had washed out colour, and I think it's because the 360 launched without HDMI, so games are programmed with the limited colour range (16-235). When HDMI was added, the system would take the limited output from the game and scale the colour values to limited, intermediate, or full. The PS3 had HDMI from the start, so all of its games are programmed to use the full range (0-255).

The problem is, if you port a game without changing the colour values then it will just look washed out. I've made a video of Vanquish with the colour range fixed, and it looks fantastic. You can probably replicate this by setting the colour range to full, and play it on a display that expects a limited signal.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Dol posted:

If you are trying to execute it at low style ranks the required button presses to start any crazy combo can be downright insane. However at higher style ranks the requirement actually becomes smaller and the combo can be extended further with heavy mashing.

Hope that helps. If not: feel free to ignore me.

I had no idea it works like that. I can do crazy combos for Rebellion and Cerberus even without a style rank easily, but A&R just doesn't work for me.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

notZaar posted:

I had no idea it works like that. I can do crazy combos for Rebellion and Cerberus even without a style rank easily, but A&R just doesn't work for me.

Are you pausing?

From what I recall million slash with A&R it's Attack, pause, Attack, pause, THEN mash. Early mashing will not give the crazy combo, so remember that pause! The mashing is also pretty intense.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

notZaar posted:

Yeah, honestly I think the problem might be that the crazy combos for Rebellion/Cerberus are a bit too easy to pull off in comparison to the rest. My first playthrough I had to consciously stop pressing the attack button during combos because otherwise my wild flailing would make crazy combos happen basically every other attack string. In comparison, I couldn't stand the other weapons because the crazy combos never seemed to want to come out.

Of course, it could just be because I was worse at the game back then and if I tried it now I'd have less trouble. v:v:v

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
DMC4 is on Steam sale again, $5. There's no reason not to own it now.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/45700/

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Platinum making a Legend of Korra game, available this Autumn for download on all platforms other than Wii U.

W-wat...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/25/platinum-games-the-legend-of-korra-coming-in-2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's gonna be bad.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

SurrealityCheck posted:

Platinum making a Legend of Korra game, available this Autumn for download on all platforms other than Wii U.

W-wat...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/25/platinum-games-the-legend-of-korra-coming-in-2014

Well, if anyone could make me interested in the Legend of Korra, it'd be Platinum.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I am already very worried about the alternate costume selection.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

It's gonna be bad.

No. It's gonna be platinum.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I'm getting the feeling that this is just a quick cash-in for Platinum, considering how much their games don't sell. Kinda like what Suda51 used to do in between games before he stopped making them.

I mean, it could be good, Platinum (arguably) hasn't done wrong yet, but that doesn't mean they can't. And, to be honest, the game doesn't look that great. At the very least, maybe kinda sorta hopefully but not really this will open the doors for a Kill la Kill game.

or Jojo. (no it won't)

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I'm pretty sure Platinum can do better than ubisoft or whoever the hell was making GBS threads out those terrible previous avatar games just sayin'

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Can't be worse than the second season at least.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm not at all interested in Korra, so I'll be passing on that game most likely. At least until it's in the Steam sales.

I do like how Platinum are finally getting the recognition they deserve as the kings of action games, and are getting people who want a good action game for their franchise to offer them money to make it.

I'd rather they stick to making their own IPs instead of making anime games for others, personally.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The Platinum blog has been updated with info about the design of Bayo and Jeanne's new looks:

http://platinumgames.com/2014/06/27/character-design-pt-1-bayonetta-and-jeanne/

Each gemstone is a reference to a lyric in the song, Love is Blue, and, as with Scarborough Fair, has a little individual descriptor (not shown on the above art work)

They are (in order of the above); An Endless Life, Eye of the Overseer, A Jealous Lover, and The Darkest Night.
I love the detail they put into this stuff, even though it'll likely never be seen ingame.

lookattheliitlemuskateercats :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Mari Shimazaki is a god at that kind of stuff. Some of the tossed Bayonetta designs are just absolutely amazing from the first game.

• Locked thread