Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago
I picked up this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151319675639

No idea if that's a good price, but oh well. I'm not going to lie, I was also tempted by this slim Test PS2: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221462332729

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

flyboi posted:

Most dev hardware is unloaded in the user marketplace at the assembler forums. I try to avoid that place because :retrogames:x:retrogames:

I wish you'd never mentioned this forum.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Tonde Mo Nai posted:

No idea if that's a good price, but oh well. I'm not going to lie, I was also tempted by this slim Test PS2: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221462332729

That is about what I'd consider the ideal price for one. Nice get. Welcome to the club :)

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

flyboi posted:

The SGI workstation was pre-alpha hardware since the N64 was not finalized and sent to most developers before the N64 launched. It included a camera which can be seen and oddly enough was never used. The second monstrosity is the N64 DD development kit. I don't know much at all about it other than it exists.

That camera is an IndyCam and is something included with every Indy workstation, it's just a basic webcam and has nothing to do with N64 development, it works with some SGI network conferencing software. It's just something that came in the box, like the keyboard or the mouse.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Tonde Mo Nai posted:

drat, for prices like that, I'd be tempted too. The second one's a little rougher, but that carrying case it comes with is pretty great. I love console carrying cases, even if I never tend to have a use for them other than storage.

If a test fat PS2 can be hard drive modded as easily as a normal one, I'll honestly have to consider grabbing one.

univbee posted:

Tenso ships via EMS and has always been very fast for me. Amazon shipped it less than a week ago and it's in my hands now, I definitely can't say they're slow.

It was a set including a Japanese 3DS and the game.

Just shy of 27000 yen + another almost 3000 yen to ship it + $52.87CAD in border charges = this was definitely not one of my best ideas.

Play-asia works from Canada but carries similar risks since you have to contend with US/Canada, but can still be worthwhile depending on what I'm looking to get (especially their sales stuff can be good). This would have sucked a lot harder, though, despite everything I still got it in a week and paid maybe $375CAD or so with the exchange rate, when Play-asia has the item but wants $436CAD directly for it before we even talk about shipping/border fees.

Usually I don't have much interest in overly-elaborate licensed game-flavored consoles but this thing is amazing and I want it. Too bad it'd cost so much, and having to deal with having a JP system that can't play my local games would be a big headache. Nintendo.. :argh:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Midnight Raider posted:

Usually I don't have much interest in overly-elaborate licensed game-flavored consoles but this thing is amazing and I want it. Too bad it'd cost so much, and having to deal with having a JP system that can't play my local games would be a big headache. Nintendo.. :argh:

I still can't believe how hard this was to get, definitely the most difficult gaming-related purchase I've had to make, harder than the doujindance PC Engine Duo. It sold out pretty much immediately at Amiami two months ago (they got one extra allotment, got the alert at midnight but by the time I woke up at 7 A.M. they were gone) and Amazon was similarly finnicky. Finally like two days before it came out I think some people started cancelling orders or Amazon started figuring out how many extra they had, so like every few minutes they'd become available, but I think literally just one, and it would go so fast you didn't have time to actually go through an order; I had to set up 1-click ordering with all my Tenso and CC info and I had to spend like 10-20 minutes going :f5: and hitting "1-click order" every time the price dropped to 27000 yen before I finally snagged one. I find it especially weird since every other limited edition 3DS has been a non-issue (in theory; I'm not trying to catch them all, but you can get most other LE's new at or below cost. In fact, if you want the Love Plus editions Amazon.jp seems to be fire saleing them for around 20k yen when they were originally nearly 35k).

I have issues. :spergin:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
This might be a bad idea for me to post this, but another one got posted.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Playstation...=item25904df482

So tempted to hit that Buy It Now button...

But I have a Backward Compatible PS3 that runs everything I throw at it! I don't need it!

RadicalR fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 12, 2014

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
What's a console (or console variant) that you guys here want but cannot afford or cannot justify purchasing?

For me it's the Panasonic Q. It's so awesome but it's really pricey, most of the ones I see on eBay look like poo poo (scratches all over the mirror finish), the GBA player for it is another small fortune, no compatible mod chip, and games not putting audio out over the built in optical port are one of many reasons I'll never buy one (but if they were slightly reasonably priced, I definitely would).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A Bootleg GBA Cart posted:

What's a console (or console variant) that you guys here want but cannot afford or cannot justify purchasing?

For me it's the Panasonic Q. It's so awesome but it's really pricey, most of the ones I see on eBay look like poo poo (scratches all over the mirror finish), the GBA player for it is another small fortune, no compatible mod chip, and games not putting audio out over the built in optical port are one of many reasons I'll never buy one (but if they were slightly reasonably priced, I definitely would).

A Laseractive that's fully functioning with both Sega and TurboGrafx modules. I ended up selling mine off because the drive wasn't working right and gently caress if I'm going to try to diagnose that.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Incidentally if you're set up with Tenso and you really want a Japanese 3DS, secondhand ones seem to be a lot cheaper than I would have expected; you can get some non-LL's for 9000 yen, which basically means even after shipping and potential taxation you're pretty much in 2DS price range, at least at SRP.

Also seems some people had a falling out with their New LovePlus girlfriends, as the game is available secondhand for under :10bux:

Eight Gamecubes and everything needed to do 16-player Mario Kart Double Dash in Progressive Scan. :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:

I probably would at least have the Gamecubes themselves if I had pounced on the $20 refurb ones at EB Games when they were available, but now I'd pay at least $50 for a single equivalent-condition set and...well, we all know what the cables cost.

univbee fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 12, 2014

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I really love the one-off console variants. The Q, Japanese xeye 1st revision, white xbox, clear blue xbox and a lot of devkits are ones I would love to have but can't justify the cost.

The famicom titler was my swim in those weird consoles but I sold it because of the size and the nesrgb nullifying the utility of the system. After that I am a little less obsessive over the rare variants.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Famicom Titler
PC Engine LT
Car Marty
Amiga CD32

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

Laseractive for me. I've had $300 set aside for one with the Genesis module should one ever show up but people are either asking a grand for it or bundling it with a bunch of things I don't necessarily want.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Put me down for every single PC Engine variant. I want stuff like this around the house.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

JJJJJS posted:

Laseractive for me. I've had $300 set aside for one with the Genesis module should one ever show up but people are either asking a grand for it or bundling it with a bunch of things I don't necessarily want.

I got mine with the genesis module for $250 in the first place.. but the drive stopped working shortly after I got it. :v:

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

No consoles on my wish list but I'm itching for two add-ons... Famicom Disk System and TurboGrafx CD :sigh:

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

I would love to have a 64DD one day to play my one game on, but unless it's gifted to me or I find one at a flea market (yeah right) I doubt it's ever going to be mine. I would also like to have an AES again one day (only console I've ever sold without having a replacement or spare) but since I can get most of my Neo Geo cravings done with my MAME cabinet I also don't see that happening any time soon.

One that's not super duper rare or super expensive that I won't get because I already have a different model of one would be a gold or a Pikachu N64. I think they look really neat, but geez louize I've already got a regular one, a Watermelon Red one, and a Grape Purple one that I unfortunately am going to end up selling fairly soon to pay for Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies...and bills.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

d0s posted:

Famicom Titler
PC Engine LT
Car Marty
Amiga CD32

I had been all about the cd32 because as a kid a dedicated Amiga store opened up in my town and I played the cd32 at the state fair. It was amazing, I wanted it so bad but mom laughed at the cost.

I started looking into sourcing one to satiate that desire and found in the end it's a bastardized 500 and not only that the NTSC variants are total hack jobs and don't output color properly. Even still I'd buy one if they weren't so expensive but they're the epitome of :retrogames: at least in the states

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Shipping alone would kill me...

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

RadicalR posted:

This might be a bad idea for me to post this, but another one got posted.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Playstation...=item25904df482

So tempted to hit that Buy It Now button...

But I have a Backward Compatible PS3 that runs everything I throw at it! I don't need it!

I have a BC PS3 and a Japanese PS2, so I don't know why I want this... but I do. I want it.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Fooley posted:

Shipping alone would kill me...

One of those just popped up on assembler forums, it could be yours for only $1300+shipping! Hey, it's new!

Another console to add to "want but has no real purpose" is the iQue

It's a Chinese first party N64 built into a controller, a tiny bit more powerful than a N64 but locked down to holy gently caress. It loads games off SD cards but all roms are encrypted and anything that didn't' come out for the iQue (which is like everything but 10 games) can't be played on it.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
You can add me to the 64DD list. I still remember seeing them in gaming magazines (and maybe on ign way back in the day?). I wanted one then and I want one now... I still don't know why. It's way too expensive to actually own though.

This doesn't technically fit the criteria, but I'd also really like a Twentieth Anniversary Mac. It's way obsolete, but the TAM is a bad rear end mofo.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

flyboi posted:

I had been all about the cd32 because as a kid a dedicated Amiga store opened up in my town and I played the cd32 at the state fair. It was amazing, I wanted it so bad but mom laughed at the cost.

I started looking into sourcing one to satiate that desire and found in the end it's a bastardized 500 and not only that the NTSC variants are total hack jobs and don't output color properly. Even still I'd buy one if they weren't so expensive but they're the epitome of :retrogames: at least in the states

I actually meant a PAL one (I'm in the US though), it was more the "can't justify" thing because I already have a PAL A500, just want it for the novelty of having an Amiga game console. That's interesting about NTSC units though, I had totally forgotten they did actually get released here.

EDIT:

How did I forget my hardware holy grail:

d0s fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 12, 2014

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

d0s posted:

I actually meant a PAL one (I'm in the US though), it was more the "can't justify" thing because I already have a PAL A500, just want it for the novelty of having an Amiga game console. That's interesting about NTSC units though, I had totally forgotten they did actually get released here.

EDIT:

How did I forget my hardware holy grail:

that loving owns

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

d0s posted:

Yeah the NTSC CD32 is a strange beast. It basically just shoves the PAL signal out at 60hz, colorspace and all. Because of this weird things happen like some games have no reds or a severe lack of red or other weird things depending on the tv. My personal dream console is a CD32 with the addons that make it a 500 but jesus christ :retrogames:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I want every one of those weird poo poo Sega Tera Drives, the Amstrad Mega PC, etc. I'd never use them and have nowhere to store them so you know, perfect.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
All the color variant Dreamcasts for me. Lusted after those things for years.

I wanted the blue camo NGPC too, but I bought a light blue one because that's all that was around at the time.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I just want a twin fami.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Crimson Harvest posted:

I just want a twin fami.

Those are fairly easy to get a hold of. Sometimes someone in the US has one up for sale and it's not too ridiculous in price.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Yeah, but for me it's hard because I'm on a fixed income. :retrogames: isn't a hobby I can do on such a small budget anymore very much.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Tyson Tomko posted:

One that's not super duper rare or super expensive that I won't get because I already have a different model of one would be a gold or a Pikachu N64.

I didn't even know that they made a gold N64. I popped into the retro game store here in town, and they had one. Said that some guy had 7 of them that he traded in. They look neat and tempting, but the N64 was a console I overlooked for PC gaming when it was out, so I'm unfamiliar with the rarity/fun games for it except the normal Nintendo AAA titles. Ended up picking up Blaster Master: Blasting again for 2.99 though, so that worked out.

I don't need another console. Have to save for house. If I keep repeating myself that, maybe one day I'll listen.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Tonde Mo Nai posted:

I wanted to buy this but the seller doesn't do international shipping. :sigh:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I've wanted a laseractive ever since I found the branded genesis controller at a thrift store. Besides that I just want a game boy light.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I want a Hello Kitty dreamcast. I don't even like Hello Kitty, I just like the sheer ridiculousness of it.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

flyboi posted:

Oh yeah, Nintendo even peripheralized developers! Check out more first party things

Meet the WideBoy 64. This device plugged into a N64, let you plug in a GBA game and then use a GBA controller to play GBA on a TV! This was mostly used for tech demos at E3 and the sort as far as I know. There's also a GameBoy and GameBoy color version. These also existed for SNES/FC.

I remember seeing the GB version in use. No GBA Logo on screen, zoomable viewing area, and I don't remember it having the controller connection in front - you just used the n64 controllers (also had a link cable connector). I went to a pokemon tour thing when I was young and they were doing battles with gym leaders or whatever they called those guys on big screens. I think I asked them when it would be coming out :3:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Wrong on the mod chip point

http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Qoob

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Assuming it can play burned copies, I'd like a Test PS2 to play PS1 and PS2 games but I'm not willing to go on eBay just to buy one.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
More bad news on the Acid Police/Bing front. He seems to have pulled some bullshit on the assembler forums too under another username, but the email and paypal first/last name are identical, address too.

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?49578-MyCrunkyBaby

Still hoping things turn out brother, I really am hoping!

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 12, 2014

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
edit: Ignore me.

G-Prime fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Has anyone ever successfully received an item from this dude? Ever? I'm genuinely curious. He offered me a 32X last year and I almost bought it, now I feel like I dodged a bullet.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 12, 2014

• Locked thread