Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Wildcats 3.0 remains my favorite Wildstorm comic. I am so disappointed at what the did to Grifter in nu52

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

There is a Warren Ellis Authority hardcover with his full run, #1-12, and a Mark Millar hardcover with his full run, #13-29 (which I guess also includes the Tom Peyer fill-in arc in the middle).

So I guess if I already picked up the first one, there's no need for me to get anything else in that series?

Edit: Never mind, I somehow missed the few posts talking about it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

So I guess if I already picked up the first one, there's no need for me to get anything else in that series?

Edit: Never mind, I somehow missed the few posts talking about it.

I loved Ellis' run back in the day (along with his Stormwatch that preceded it, now combined in two nice volumes) but hated Millar's Authority. Nothing but unlikeable, sadistic "heroes," even worse villains, and lots of unnecessary shock value. I don't even like Quitely's art (yes, I'm that guy), so it was one more mark against it for me.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, I hate Millar and I'm not a fan of Quitely, either, so I'll stay clear.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Let us not forget that Millar had the ironic punishment of his big beatstick character be turning into a chicken so he could be raped by his Appalachia kinfolk.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

EDIT: Why am I asking this here I should just PM.

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 8, 2014

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

I loved Ellis' run back in the day (along with his Stormwatch that preceded it, now combined in two nice volumes) but hated Millar's Authority. Nothing but unlikeable, sadistic "heroes," even worse villains, and lots of unnecessary shock value. I don't even like Quitely's art (yes, I'm that guy), so it was one more mark against it for me.

I actually hated FQ's art even more than I disliked the story, which I didn't like either.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Yes, everyone should read Sleeper. One of my absolute favorites.

Is there a comprehensive reading list somewhere of all the stuff that lead to what's happening with Cyclops right now? Including the school split and all that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-Men Schism, AvX, AvX Consequences, All-New X-Men + Uncanny X-Men NOW! (incl. other Battle of the Atom chapters + Trial of Jean Grey chapters from Guardians of the Galaxy), then "Cyclops" should do ya for both versions.
I guess Uncanny during AvX would have stuff, but I didn't bother.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 9, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Oh God yes, Brubaker's Sleeper was awesome, and my favorite of all his collaborations with Sean Phillips. I have the four older TPBs, but it has been reprinted in two thicker, nicer volumes: Sleeper Season One and Season Two. Make sure you also read Brubaker's prequel story, Point Blank, first.
There was an omni released last year which has all of it, Point Blank, Sleeper Season One and Two and Coup d'Etat. It's beautiful. :allears:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

X-Men Schism, AvX, AvX Consequences, All-New X-Men + Uncanny X-Men NOW! (incl. other Battle of the Atom chapters + Trial of Jean Grey chapters from Guardians of the Galaxy), then "Cyclops" should do ya for both versions.
I guess Uncanny during AvX would have stuff, but I didn't bother.

Keep in mind that nearly all of that is bad.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Really? I saw a lot of talk about it while it was going on. Seemed like people enjoyed it. I'll still give it a go. I've always liked Cyclops and he seems to get shafted a lot. Especially in the movies.

Also, thanks, Teenage Fansub!

Also also, I'm reading Greg Rucka's new Cyclops book and that's really good. At least the first issue is.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 9, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Gillen's Uncanny AvX issues were fantastic and were better than the event deserved.

Schism is worth checking out if only for the art at least (and it's short, so no commitment). It wasn't a bad read, either!, I thought. :shrug:

I think I kind of enjoyed Consequences as I was reading it, but I honestly don't remember any of it now. I was also distracted by Cyclops' Lecter goggles.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 9, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Unmature posted:

Really? I saw a lot of talk about it while it was going on. Seemed like people enjoyed it. I'll still give it a go. I've always liked Cyclops and he seems to get shafted a lot. Especially in the movies.

Also, thanks, Teenage Fansub!

For what it's worth, I enjoyed all of it. You're not going to get many positive responses about current X-Men on these forums, though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

AvX was bad and the Battle of the Atom event wasn't the best, but other than that, I'm fully enjoying the Bendisified X-Men.

e: You could skip AvX and just start with All-New.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 9, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Teenage Fansub posted:

AvX was bad and the Battle of the Atom event wasn't the best, but other than that, I'm fully enjoying the Bendisified X-Men.

AvX was worth it for the crab whales. :colbert:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bobkatt013 posted:

AvX was worth it for the crab whales. :colbert:

It still seems weird to me that having a fifth of some massive cosmic force powering you actually made people stupider.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

prefect posted:

It still seems weird to me that having a fifth of some massive cosmic force powering you actually made people stupider.
It worked for me. They're hosts to a massive cosmic force that wants to burn away the things that don't work and create new life in its place, but they are massively unsuitable hosts to the force. Doing dopey, sorta creepy poo poo like "um... whales might like... crab legs? not sure" is a good way to show that instead of just telling it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it wants to evolve and create new life but its split up and its wielders really don't know what they're doing at all.

(Plus ultimately crab-whales are funny so I forgive it for being stupid)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Crab whales are the second best thing to come from that event. Rockslide/Gambit plan was the best.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That was Fear Itself. Fear Itself is generally terrible but I thought the X-Men tie in parts were actually pretty decent.

Is Hunger Ultimate Universe or not?

zoux fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 10, 2014

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Soonmot posted:

Crab whales are the second best thing to come from that event. Rockslide/Gambit plan was the best.

Gambit also blew up Cap's shirt, which ruled.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

zoux posted:

Is Hunger Ultimate Universe or not?

Yep, it's the prelude to Cataclysm

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Opopanax posted:

Yep, it's the prelude to Cataclysm

Do I have to read AoU first?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

zoux posted:

I wouldn't recommend it.

All you really need to know is people time traveled too much and broke the universe, which wound up dumping Galactus in the UU

I would recommend reading the Ultimate Gah Lak Tus books again, as well as Ultimate Vision, but neither one's super important. (Both are great, though)

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

zoux posted:

You never have to read Age of Ultron. Never.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Waterhaul posted:

You never have to read Age of Ultron. Never.

When you say that I just picture that panel from all star superman where he's telling that depressed girl that everythings going to be alright.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mister Nobody posted:

When you say that I just picture that panel from all star superman where he's telling that depressed girl that everythings going to be alright.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

That just made the whole scene incredibly creepy.

I really loved that scene, but looking at it again. It kind of makes some broad generalizations about certain types of people, which is really telling about Morrison himself.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mister Nobody posted:

That just made the whole scene incredibly creepy.

Well I did get it from the "ruin the moment" thread. :razz:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mister Nobody posted:

I really loved that scene, but looking at it again. It kind of makes some broad generalizations about certain types of people, which is really telling about Morrison himself.

Oh come on.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Morrison tends to modify his pov in accordance with his new experiences. Which is a great attitude to have except that it sometimes it gives the impression that he lacks real conviction in his ideas.

It seems like he picks up these really cool and interesting ideas, works with them a bit until he loses enthusiasm and then moves on to the next neat idea. It makes me feel that he really can't commit to any particular point of view.

Tl:dr. I feel like he sits on the fence too often.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

What the hell are you talking about? Stop being vague and try to make a point, here

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah I actually don't even see what the second post has to do with the first post at all but I'll just let it go.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
Yeah nevermind I kind of lost the plot there.

I just didn't like the implication in those panels, that all the work that psychologist did with Reagan (I think her name was) was useless and all she needed was Supes to come and tell her everything was gonna be alright. As well how she's dressed and styled has become a sort of shorthand for depression and poor mental health, which I never would have expected from Morrison. I might be speaking out of my rear end so I'll shut up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mister Nobody posted:

I just didn't like the implication in those panels, that all the work that psychologist did with Reagan (I think her name was) was useless and all she needed was Supes to come and tell her everything was gonna be alright. As well how she's dressed and styled has become a sort of shorthand for depression and poor mental health, which I never would have expected from Morrison. I might be speaking out of my rear end so I'll shut up.

You are speaking out of your rear end. Superman didn't fix everything, he just stopped her from making a snap judgement. He even stresses that her psychologist got held up and the implication is that he's still on his way. Superman is just a shoulder for her to cry on until then. Stop trying to ruin one of the single best Superman moments of the last 20 years.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mister Nobody posted:

I don't think he's saying "all kids who dress like this are depressed". I actually like that it's an "alternative" kid that Superman is helping -- if it had been a polished and popular kid, I would feel less sympathy.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Rhyno posted:

You are speaking out of your rear end. Superman didn't fix everything, he just stopped her from making a snap judgement. He even stresses that her psychologist got held up and the implication is that he's still on his way. Superman is just a shoulder for her to cry on until then. Stop trying to ruin one of the single best Superman moments of the last 20 years.

What I don't like is that the girl is one traffic jam away from suicide.

Im not trying to ruin it . I'm sorry if I offended you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mister Nobody posted:

What I don't like is that the girl is one traffic jam away from suicide.

Im not trying to ruin it . I'm sorry if I offended you.

You don't know her back story any more than the rest of us. She obviously was at a critical phase which is why she was ready to end her own life. ZOMG SHE'S GOTH SHE WANTS TO DIE is an idiotic observation to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The only thing about that scene that bothers me is that iirc Geoff Johns beat him to it in JSA with the Kingdom Come Superman.