Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
uh
This poll is closed.
embiid 41 32.28%
wiggins 86 67.72%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Spacebump posted:

It continues.

Jonathan Givony @DraftExpress
Don't understand Julius Rande's strategy of trying to discredit @WojYahooNBA. There is an issue w/his foot. Heard same from multiple teams.

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/477150246146166784

I believe Randle is pissed because Woj coming out and reporting it makes it seem like it's a fresh piece of news that no one in the NBA knew about. Every exec in the NBA probably knew Randle was getting surgery for months now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Randle FUD. Coming from - no doubt - Team 7 and below.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He doesn't have a strategy, he is 19 years old and scared that he's about to lose millions of dollars.

I like his site a lot but Givony seems completely insufferable if you follow his twitter.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

I feel like this happens every draft thread (and it's not you specifically or anything)

There's a reason why prospects are projected where they are, and if it doesn't seem like they have much going for them, it's either that they have those skills in abundance (i.e. Exum is really, really, really athletic) or GMs and scouts aren't weighing skillsets the same way that you personally (or collectively) are (i.e. Exum can't shoot but GMs figure they can teach that). It's impractical to figure out who will bust and who won't bust (except for Jan Vesely) and this is doubly hard in a loaded draft class. Just because you don't have a lot of tape on a guy doesn't mean he's a bad prospect, just like the inverse wouldn't be true.

My question was more about how he got to be regarded as a good prospect in the first place. All I ever hear about Exum is that there's no tape on him. When you wrote that he's really athletic, that was the first time I'd read that. That's an answer to my question.

V V V Cool. Thanks everyone who answered. V V V

big boi fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 12, 2014

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

big boi posted:

My question was more about how he got to be regarded as a good prospect in the first place. All I ever hear about Exum is that there's no tape on him. When you wrote that he's really athletic, that was the first time I'd read that. That's an answer to my question.

He isn't a Darko in that there is no tape on him, its just that there is limited tape, especially for people don't have scouting departments to send to Australia. He got on the map by playing extremely well at the by playing really well in the FIBA under 17 and under 19 tournaments, as well as the Nike hoops summit.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

He doesn't have a strategy, he is 19 years old and scared that he's about to lose millions of dollars.

I like his site a lot but Givony seems completely insufferable if you follow his twitter.

Givony is great until he puts on his pundit hat and starts spouting off about teams or players. At least he stopped trying to break trade rumors

drat it Givony, your loving job is to watch hours of loving game tape and give me a 10 minute Youtube video breakdown with lovely music. Don't loving stray from that path

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

i hope Randles draft stock collapses and he falls right into the laps of whoelse, but the Clippers

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Givony is also really irritating when organizations/tournaments don't fall over themselves to accommodate him or give him credentials.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

WhyteRyce posted:

If you don't think there is a huge separation between all 3 of the candidates, then moving back and picking up a veteran who can help your stupid owner win now is kind of a shrewd move. But then you'd have to trust Cleveland's talent evaluation

But I do!!! It just screams another one of those "win now" moves from Cleveland that somehow ends up with them not making the playoffs in the Eastern Conference

e: Of course it's just a rumor, and apparently the 76ers idea anyway.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WhyteRyce posted:

drat it Givony, your loving job is to watch hours of loving game tape and give me a 10 minute Youtube video breakdown with lovely music. Don't loving stray from that path

He's not the guy doing those.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
Doesn't seem to make much sense for Philly to give up probably their best player in Young just to move up 2 spots to guarantee they get Wiggins, especially when the consolation prize would be Parker or Embiid. I've made my doubts clear about Embiid, but I think he's a good 3rd pick (just not #1). And Philly must know at least as much as we do about how the Cavs and Milwaukee are leaning with their picks, and that there's a decent chance they'll get Wiggins at 3 anyway. Then again, if teams that are routinely at the top of the draft didn't consistently trade away valuable assets for marginal gains, then I guess they wouldn't routinely be at the top of the draft, so who knows?

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
If they think Wiggins is in a tier above Parker I'd most certainly be OK with giving up Thad Young.

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart
Yeah Thad Young is worth the Parker-->Wiggins jump, especially considering that Thad may not want to stick around and the 76ers defense was as bad as the Lakers' last year. Plus, an MCW+Wiggins backcourt is really appealing as long as one can shoot 35-40% from 3 in the next few years.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
What if philly is playing Cleveland and would pick Embiid with the first? Cause right now it seems very likely that they'd get Wiggins anyways if they stand pat at 3.

But then again maybe they have Wiggins rated a tier above the other two and want to be completely sure they get him.

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

the culminator posted:

What if philly is playing Cleveland and would pick Embiid with the first? Cause right now it seems very likely that they'd get Wiggins anyways if they stand pat at 3.

But then again maybe they have Wiggins rated a tier above the other two and want to be completely sure they get him.

The Cavs don't know who to take, and Wiggins is definitely on the table if they don't trade the pick.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The more videos I watch of Parker, the more I like him. Wiggins having so few basketball skills is scary. He really needs to be developed. Parker can play.

WhyteRyce posted:

If the organization thinks Adrien Payne can be a Rasheed Wallace, then I'm down with this

I love Adrien but, at best he's a working man's Rasheed Wallace. Rasheed was huge and absolutely gifted.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Of the top 3 teams, which has the best chance to develop Wiggins into the hall of famer he's supposed to be?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Philly hasn't proven themselves as a place where talent dies, so I guess them. :effort:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Adam Zagoria: Some NBA Draft intel I've heard...Utah loves Dante Exum at 5, Sacramento likes Nik Stauskas at 8 & Charlotte likes McBuckets at 9 Twitter @AdamZagoria

Nik Stauskas would be weird since the org is high on McLemore

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I have no idea what to make of Exum and he seems like he could probably play with Burke, but it'd be yet another Utah wing who couldn't shoot, which I'm not sure they need. On the other hand I'm not totally sold on Burke as more than a backup, so he's some insurance there. I still think I'd rather have Vonleh though. He has a similar ceiling, and his ability to step out and hit a jumper would be a nice complement to Favors. Should be able to step in and rebound/protect the paint right away too.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Charlotte always seems to dump a lot of misinformation leading up to the draft, but I wouldn't be shocked by McDermott. The ghost of Adam Morrison makes me nervous and taking two white guys in a row is probably dumb, but it seems like an OK pick.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

mynameisjohn posted:

i hope Randles draft stock collapses and he falls right into the laps of whoelse, but the Clippers

Seems like a really poor fit even in the bizarro world where it happens.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
There is no one on that team who can shoot right now, McDermott or Stauskas would both make a lot of sense.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm usually an advocate or trading up not down in NBA drafts, but if the Kings are going to be choosing between McBuckets, Smart, or Stauskas at #8 I'd rather just do that rumored trade down with Atlanta and take what is available at #15

That is my uninformed I don't watch a lot of college basketball opinion

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

There is no one on that team who can shoot right now, McDermott or Stauskas would both make a lot of sense.

How likely are either of those two able to adjust to an off-the-ball role? Because Jimmer was drafted for shooting and the organization was apparently baffled that he only do anything when he was allowed to pound the ball.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WhyteRyce posted:

How likely are either of those two able to adjust to an off-the-ball role? Because Jimmer was drafted for shooting and the organization was apparently baffled that he only do anything when he was allowed to pound the ball.

Stauskas was the third or fourth option his freshman year and really really good at it. And McDermott isn't a guard so he didn't really do a lot of dribbling around like Jimmer did. Don't really see the comparison beyond them all being white people who made lots of threes.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

Yeah, I'm mostly kidding. He'd be a good fit, especially if Jeff Taylor struggles to come back from the Achilles injury and/or they eventually shift Zeller to center. Watching Gary Neal and McDermott play defense together off the bench would be hilarious, though.

I'd prefer Stauskas or Harris, but they finally have a competent enough core that I'd be fine with any non-crazy pick.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
McDermott will be an off-the-ball guy. He's going to score off catch and shoots, curls, and some cuts and garbage down low when they try to hide someone on him. I am not high on him at all but I think he'd make Sacramento better right away.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
McDermott is a guy who I watch and am like "hey this guy looks good to me." But I don't know how his skills translate to the NBA due to my unfamiliarity with how things carry over. Like I don't know if he's going to be able to hit those shots still if he can't get the same distance off of screens in the pros, which is likely to happen.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The thing is he didn't really get a ton of room most of the time because he was the primary focus of every defense he faced (which I assume will not be the case in the NBA but if it is that team will win 3 games all season). He gets his shot off really fast.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

McDermott will mostly score through garbage buckets and jump shots and that's probably all his team will ask of him. If he's initiating the offense then something will have gone wrong

At worst you've drafted Kyle Korver

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm usually an advocate or trading up not down in NBA drafts, but if the Kings are going to be choosing between McBuckets, Smart, or Stauskas at #8 I'd rather just do that rumored trade down with Atlanta and take what is available at #15

That is my uninformed I don't watch a lot of college basketball opinion

There are a few big men you could justify taking at 8 if Vonleh isn't there; I assume they'd view Stauskas as a bench gunner/secondary ball-handler depending on whether or not McLemore or Thomas was in the game.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I don't get how Charlotte takes McDermott unless they play him and Biyombo at the same time 6 on 5 and claim that together they make one NBA player.

Would taking Rodney Hood at 9 be a decent pick for the Hornets or is that too high?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

I don't get how Charlotte takes McDermott unless they play him and Biyombo at the same time 6 on 5 and claim that together they make one NBA player.

Would taking Rodney Hood at 9 be a decent pick for the Hornets or is that too high?

Jeff Taylor's coming off a ripped Achilles and they need a backup small forward/insurance at power forward in case they can't re-sign Josh McRoberts. McDermott probably won't be able to defend either forward position, but MKG is at least flexible enough to help cover that up.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

C. Everett Koop posted:

Rodney Hood at 9 would be a reach but if he's their guy then they should probably take him and not dick around with trading down

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart
Cavs leaked a report that Embiid failed their physical to a Cleveland talk radio host. Now, Rotoworld ran a story that the Cavs actually cleared Embiid just fine and leaked that story to encourage the Bucks to take Parker #2 of they take the 76ers deal to trade up for Wiggins.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

vegaji posted:

Cavs leaked a report that Embiid failed their physical to a Cleveland talk radio host. Now, Rotoworld ran a story that the Cavs actually cleared Embiid just fine and leaked that story to encourage the Bucks to take Parker #2 of they take the 76ers deal to trade up for Wiggins.

I don't know what's worse, that the Cavaliers would do that and then just completely invalidate it by fessing up to it, or that this kind of story is so stupid that I believe it because its the Cavs.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

vegaji posted:

It's sad that I completely believe this. Why the gently caress would you do this to the person you're planning on drafting? You're setting him up to hate your organization from the beginning.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

vegaji posted:

It's bunk. They wouldn't leak it to Rizzo. That would be like leaking Lebron's summer plans to Skip loving Bayless. Rizzo has been solidly in favor of the stupid "trade the pick for Kevin Love or for no. 3" bullshit, and it wouldn't be the first time he straight up lied to try to influence the events. He's widely regarded as one of the worst radio guys in Cleveland, and he's doing it for the headlines. The Cavs are bad at scouting, but they aren't suicidal like that.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
David Pick @IAmDPick · 8h
Croatian NBA prospect Dario Saric, I'm told, has zero workouts scheduled ahead of the draft.

https://twitter.com/IAmDPick/status/478137126676996096

Either this is a terrible decision or a team has already promised to draft him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
That's what I thought about Dion Waiters so I'll just keep my mouth shut.

• Locked thread