Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Date: June 14th, 2014
Venue: Rogers Arena
Broadcast: Pay-Per-View, FX, UFC Fight Pass

MAIN CARD (Pay-Per-View, 10:00 p.m. ET)

Flyweight Championship Bout:

(c) Demetrious Johnson

vs.

Ali Bagautinov

Welterweight Bout:

Rory MacDonald

vs.

Tyron Woodley

Light Heavyweight Bout:

Ryan Bader

vs.

Rafael Cavalcante

Heavyweight Bout:

Andrei Arlovski

vs.

Brendan Schaub

Light Heavyweight Bout:

Ryan Jimmo

vs.

Ovince Saint Preux

PRELIMINARY CARD (FX, 8:00 p.m. ET)

Kiichi Kunimoto vs. Daniel Sarafian
Valerie Letourneau vs. Elizabeth Phillips
Mike Easton vs. Yves Jabouin
Kajan Johnson vs. Tae Hyun Bang

PRE-PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 7:00 p.m. ET)

Roland Delorme vs. Michinori Tanaka
Jason Saggo vs. Josh Shockley

Important Things:

The second batch of prelims are happening on FX, and not FOX Sports Whatever. Keep that in mind for when you finish watching a Roland Delorme fight on Fight Pass.

Tinystani is good, and completely deserving of his shot against Mighty Mouse but most people are expecting to see the Mouse pull a Bendo and make Dagestan look like a Jokestan. However, this Puncher King isn't one to be messed with, but all the same he's up against one of the more dominant champions in the UFC.

Having been absolutely devastated IRL after Tyron hurt my man crush Carlo, I have since become quite the fan of him after seeing his Embedded segments. He seems like a good guy, and is obviously a talented fighter. On the flip side, Rory MacDonald is best bros with Mike Ricci and did things against Demian Maia that were wild as gently caress and impressive to see. This has the potential to be super violent quick with Woodley or boring as poo poo with Rory doing Tristar Things.

Ryan Bader is such a weird dude. On one hand he lost to Tito Ortiz (before it was fashionable for Middleweight Champions*) and beating him seems to grant you a title shot to be sacrificed to the God of Jonathan Jones. Feijăo beat Yoel Romero once, so put that in your pipe and smoke it.

The Pitbull vs. Big Brown. If someone doesn't get their poo poo kicked in this is gonna be a lame rear end grapplefest. But hey, Arlovski has cool walkouts and totally looks like a guy who fights in a cage for money. So big ups to that guy.

I don't care about Ryan Jimmo or OSP and I have a hard time imagining anyone else does either. Their parents might, maybe.

Daniel Sarafian! Kiichi Kunimoto! Mike Easton! Yves Jabouin! Tae Hyun Bang (Bro)! Michinori Tanaka!

MMA Snack Rating ™ Cheese-and-Tomato Toasts

quote:

Ingredients:

5 to 6 oz. mild, creamy goat cheese or cream cheese, at room temperature
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced $
3 tablespoons olive oil $
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 loaf (about 8 oz.) Italian bread $
2 cloves garlic, halved

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400°F. In a small bowl, stir together goat cheese, 1 Tbsp. parsley and pepper until thoroughly combined. In a medium bowl, stir together tomatoes, 2 tsp. olive oil, salt and 1 1/2 tsp. parsley.

Slice off and discard ends of bread. Slice loaf diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices and place on a baking sheet. Toast in oven until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Rub 1 side of each toast slice with cut side of garlic. Brush with remaining olive oil.

Just before serving, spread toast slices with cheese mixture and top with tomato mixture. Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 tsp. parsley on top.

Other Important Things:

As mentioned, the early bit is taking place on UFC Fight Pass but then for some reason the televised prelims will be on FX. The main card being on the one that costs the most money. No streams shall be posted for the most part, so don't.

Login to #mma on synirc.org to share your favorite instance of Ryan Bader getting beat down.

*Not an actual champion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
this new thing of the UFC cracking down on gifs is pretty loving lame

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

-Atom- posted:

this new thing of the UFC cracking down on gifs is pretty loving lame

Well, if I were a billionaire running a fight league, the last thing I'd ever want is people helping advertise my fights for free by sharing images with their friends of all the cool poo poo that happens in them and none of the bad stuff.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!
arlovski schaub is easily my favorite bout on this card... like it might actually be enough to get me to order this one

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Agent Tough Juice posted:

arlovski schaub is easily my favorite bout on this card... like it might actually be enough to get me to order this one

the potential for hilarity is great, no doubt.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!

-Atom- posted:

the potential for hilarity is great, no doubt.

yeah and if arlovski wins we can look forward to people talking about him as a potential contender in the division which will lead to more funny fights

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
This card has the potential to be pretty great but also pretty sucky as is the case with most "stacked" Cards. I love the idea of Arlovski fighting again in the UFC after what has recently happened to him in WSOF. I forgot about that Jimmo knockout holy cow 6 seconds nice that GIF is hilarious. I am mostly looking forward to Tyron Woodley beating the poo poo out of Rory McDonald that would be a good early christmas present.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpsUVnc1qxc

friendly reminder that while his record isn't indicitive as such, but Mike Easton Is Still Not Playing

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

-Atom- posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpsUVnc1qxc

friendly reminder that while his record isn't indicitive as such, but Mike Easton Is Still Not Playing

!!

I didn't know he was even on this card! WELCOME TO DC

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

-Atom- posted:

Ryan Bader

lol

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I still do not believe or accept that Ryan Bader Tito Ortiz . gif

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
holy gently caress that schaub gif :lol:

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Aurain posted:

Well, if I were a billionaire running a fight league, the last thing I'd ever want is people helping advertise my fights for free by sharing images with their friends of all the cool poo poo that happens in them and none of the bad stuff.

Well... I do have some sympathy. One of the main reasons people pay $55 to watch is to see the flashy KO or submission, if you could see all of the cool parts of the fights, you might not want to pay anymore. Its the same with the NFL, news shows can't show the guy running the ball for a touchdown unless they get permission from the NFL.

But yeah, it is a bit extreme.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Well... I do have some sympathy. One of the main reasons people pay $55 to watch is to see the flashy KO or submission, if you could see all of the cool parts of the fights, you might not want to pay anymore. Its the same with the NFL, news shows can't show the guy running the ball for a touchdown unless they get permission from the NFL.

But yeah, it is a bit extreme.

The UFC will never be able to stop .gifs so it's dumb to begin with. Also anyone who really cares about the event and didn't catch it live will order it the next day. Anyone who was gonna just watch .gifs would read the results instead. The percentage of buys they are losing from internet .gifs is less than .01%.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
how glad must Bader be to not be the last of the Tito Tapouts

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

-Atom- posted:

Having been absolutely devastated IRL after Tyron hurt my man crush Carlo, I have since become quite the fan of him after seeing his Embedded segments. He seems like a good guy, and is obviously a talented fighter.

Me too. Seems like a really good guy, and you've gotta cheer for him over Rory.

MacDeuce
Oct 23, 2010
Rory rules and he's gonna kick the poo poo out of Woodley same as he did to Ellenburger.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

MacDeuce posted:

Rory rules and he's gonna kick the poo poo out of Woodley same as he did to Ellenburger.

I don't like you.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I loves me some Babbystani, but I just get the feeling that he's gonna be way too slow for MMDMMJ

Also - I'm down with OSP (Yeah, you know me) because he got a drat Von Flue choke this year.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Mean Bean Machine posted:

I don't like you.

I like it when Bad Fighters win because it gives them additional opportunities to be Bad People.

If Rory sucked PSP would be just that little bit more boring right?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_YCBTyQ1wA

Wayans will begin at 7PM ET / 4PM PT

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
You know, this card is pretty mediocre in terms of name value for a ppv, but as I sit here watching the weighins I realizethat there's a lot of fights with great potential to be good, and the ones that won't be good will likely be funny.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Yeah I think this would be an excellent Fox card, but as a PPV it'll probably be a really good card that barely anyone buys. Maybe all of Mighty Mouse's Fox fights will have bumped up his name value enough to do decently over the baseline.

The prelims are loving poo poo though.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Lone Goat posted:

June 14 - UFC 174

Demetrious Johnson vs. Ali Bagautinov
Rory MacDonald vs. Tyron Woodley
Ryan Bader vs. Rafael Cavalcante
Andrei Arlovski vs. Brendan Schaub
Ryan Jimmo vs. Ovince St. Preux

FOTN:
POTN:
POTN:

FORM
SPREADSHEET

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

fatherdog posted:

You know, this card is pretty mediocre in terms of name value for a ppv, but as I sit here watching the weighins I realizethat there's a lot of fights with great potential to be good, and the ones that won't be good will likely be funny.

The one odds site I look at has five fights where both fighters are negatives, so there should be some pretty close fights. DJ is gonna wreck a motherfucker pretty good too. That is one fight that I would like to go to decision. The Benavidez fight was over too quick.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

I think it'll be somewhere between the Moraga and Dodson fights, with Ali looking good/keeping up in the first half of the fight like Dodson but overall getting worked over and finished late like Moraga.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I really hope Mike Easton continues to lose. Apparently he stopped training at Alliance altogether after the TLI split even though he was welcome to train there.

So I can't wait to see him flail stupidly in a fight, hopefully Jaboiun can put some hurt on him.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

1st AD posted:

I really hope Mike Easton continues to lose. Apparently he stopped training at Alliance altogether after the TLI split even though he was welcome to train there.

So I can't wait to see him flail stupidly in a fight, hopefully Jaboiun can put some hurt on him.

He could probably wrestle jabouin if he wanted. I think I missed something because of how much of everyone hates Easton, but I thought he seemed like a good fighter before his gym imploded. I hope Jabouin wins due to being cool to watch.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

He could probably wrestle jabouin if he wanted. I think I missed something because of how much of everyone hates Easton, but I thought he seemed like a good fighter before his gym imploded. I hope Jabouin wins due to being cool to watch.

Easton is one of those guys who's good, but what he's mostly good at his holding dudes against the fence and mauling them, so people don't like to consider him good. Also him being pretty reluctant to disassociate himself from a gang rapist didn't do him any favors.

I think you're right that he could probably wrestle jabouin if he focused on it, and I hope he doesn't because Jabouin has been in some badass loving fights. Jabouin/Hominick is still one of the better fights from the WEC, and it has a lot of competition in that area.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Bundt Cake posted:

His style isn't exciting, he has some annoying anger issues even for a fighter, and is loyal to a noted rapist.

Also like years ago he tried to do Dominick Cruz in a fight and looked really stupid doing it.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
In all fairness Cruz looked pretty stupid doing it at times.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
UFC 174 Fight Tier List

God Tier

Andrei Arlovski vs Brendan Schaub
Demetrius Johnson vs Ali Bagotinov

Probably boring but has name value tier
Rory Macdonald vs Tyron Woodley

Hopefully there is a quick finish tier
Ryan Bader vs Rafael Cavalcante
Ryan Jimmo vs OSP

poo poo tier
Welterweight Daniel Sarafian vs. Kiichi Kunimoto
Women's Bantamweight Valérie Létourneau vs. Elizabeth Phillips
Bantamweight Yves Jabouin vs. Mike Easton
Lightweight Kajan Johnson vs. Tae Hyun Bang
Preliminary card (UFC Fight Pass)
Bantamweight Roland Delorme vs. Michinori Tanaka
Lightweight Jason Saggo vs. Josh Shockley

his kingly woes
Jan 5, 2011

Lord Waffle Beard has spoken

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I think the Delorme and Phillips fights are gonna own just by how one sided they might be

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

-Atom- posted:

I think the Delorme and Phillips fights are gonna own just by how one sided they might be

You think Phillips is a lock against Valerie?

I thought Valerie was good? Then again she lost to The Happy Warrior on Tuf right?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
So, if you are Dana, aren't you going to be rooting awfully hard for Bagautinov tomorrow night? I'd think it would be pretty good for their international ambitions to have a Russian champion.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Northjayhawk posted:

So, if you are Dana, aren't you going to be rooting awfully hard for Bagautinov tomorrow night? I'd think it would be pretty good for their international ambitions to have a Russian champion.

Thus far the available evidence suggests that nobody in any country gives a poo poo about flyweights, regardless of their nationality.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

MacDougall posted:

Then again she lost to The Happy Warrior on Tuf right?

Ding ding ding!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Northjayhawk posted:

I don't know how many shows they are going to be able to run in Dagestan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

-Atom- posted:

For some reason Delorme is the slight underdog against debuting Japanese guy, which seems weird. Though Tanaka does have a win over Russell Doane who looked really good in his debut on I think the Singapore card.

• Locked thread