Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Rexxed posted:

Just to doublecheck, for the ASUS router in the WAN section, you want the static address to be 192.168.1.5 (same as the dmz host on the adsl router), with the gateway set to 192.168.1.1 and if there's options to set dns hosts you can set them to google or whatever as well.

Once you get the LAN settings configured on your asus router you'll want to reset your device to start using those settings from the dhcp server (if you're in windows you can go into a command prompt and do ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew to get a new dhcp lease from the router).

Yes everything is set that way now. When I try to load a webpage on a client device I get an error saying webpage is not available. The ADSL modem auto discovers the DNS server so I don't know what actual address it's using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

What's a good basic wifi router I can set and forget? Money is basically no object (let's say $400) My antique airport extreme got the added feature of DNS proxy'ing, and now it's making GBS threads the bed pretty regularly instead of going years without reboots like before.

All I need is DHCP reservations, port mapping and bulletproofness.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

What's a good basic wifi router I can set and forget? Money is basically no object (let's say $400) My antique airport extreme got the added feature of DNS proxy'ing, and now it's making GBS threads the bed pretty regularly instead of going years without reboots like before.

All I need is DHCP reservations, port mapping and bulletproofness.
A new AirPort Extreme.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

vulturesrow posted:

Yes everything is set that way now. When I try to load a webpage on a client device I get an error saying webpage is not available. The ADSL modem auto discovers the DNS server so I don't know what actual address it's using.

Well it doesn't necessarily matter which dns the modem-router is using as long as the clients have one that works being handed out by the ASUS. A lot of home routers like the ASUS will just hand out their own address as the DNS server and forward requests to the DNS server they get from their WAN port, so intentionally putting 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 kind of overrides that behavior. A good way to check if the clients have internet but not DNS is by doing ping 8.8.8.8 from the command line. If it gets responses then it's got internet access but DNS isn't set up right, if not then it's probably not configured right in general.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

A new AirPort Extreme.
Aight. I spose I got p good mileage out of the drat old thing.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Rexxed posted:

Well it doesn't necessarily matter which dns the modem-router is using as long as the clients have one that works being handed out by the ASUS. A lot of home routers like the ASUS will just hand out their own address as the DNS server and forward requests to the DNS server they get from their WAN port, so intentionally putting 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 kind of overrides that behavior. A good way to check if the clients have internet but not DNS is by doing ping 8.8.8.8 from the command line. If it gets responses then it's got internet access but DNS isn't set up right, if not then it's probably not configured right in general.

Cant resolve 8.8.8.8. There are a bunch of NAT settings in the WAN page, could the issue lie there?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

vulturesrow posted:

Cant resolve 8.8.8.8. There are a bunch of NAT settings in the WAN page, could the issue lie there?

It's possible. If I had the same device I'd post some screenshots of the setup page but I only have some linksys, netgear, ubiquiti and other crap lying around unfortunately. Asus' website doesn't have a lot of pictures either (a bunch of their support site is broken image links, too).

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Rexxed posted:

It's possible. If I had the same device I'd post some screenshots of the setup page but I only have some linksys, netgear, ubiquiti and other crap lying around unfortunately. Asus' website doesn't have a lot of pictures either (a bunch of their support site is broken image links, too).

I'll post some screenshots later tonight. I called Cox today to set up service so I have until 3pm on Saturday to figure it out. :D

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

64bit_Dophins posted:

So I just got a WRT54GL off of newegg for around 45$. I'm sure this wasn't the best decision but so far it's getting the job done (between me and my 3 technologically retarded housemates). Obviously I want to flash it but I have no experience doing so :/
Anyways I'm sure this has been discussed already but for the WRT54GL is tomato or DD-WRT a better option? Also which firmware is the easiest to install for a scrub?

At this point the WRT54GL is pretty outdated. Not that it won't work; I was using mine until a month or two ago.

Tomato is super easy. You can easily flash to the original Tomato straight from the Linksys stock firmware upgrade page. From original Tomato you can then easily flash to a newer, currently maintained fork of Tomato.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

vulturesrow posted:

I'll post some screenshots later tonight. I called Cox today to set up service so I have until 3pm on Saturday to figure it out. :D

Yeah, it's probably something with your ASUS router, if all else fails you may want to reset it to defaults and set it back up again since the base settings for things like NAT should be correct. At least you have a solution lined up, despite it being inconvenient.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

evil_bunnY posted:

Aight. I spose I got p good mileage out of the drat old thing.

If you don't need or want 802.11ac and are willing to settle for 802.11n (especially if you don't have anything that can run 802.11ac), you can get a refurb Airport Extreme 5th generation for only $85.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD031LL/A/refurbished-airport-extreme-base-station

Or for twice that price you can get a refurb of the current version...

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Rexxed posted:

Yeah, it's probably something with your ASUS router, if all else fails you may want to reset it to defaults and set it back up again since the base settings for things like NAT should be correct. At least you have a solution lined up, despite it being inconvenient.

Well Cox showed up this morning instead of tomorrow so no more DSL. Thanks a ton for all your help!

By the way, is there any advantage to setting my home IP pool to the 10.x.x.x range? Also, I'd like to read more about network setup and design, are there any good, basic resources I can take a look at?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

vulturesrow posted:

Well Cox showed up this morning instead of tomorrow so no more DSL. Thanks a ton for all your help!

By the way, is there any advantage to setting my home IP pool to the 10.x.x.x range? Also, I'd like to read more about network setup and design, are there any good, basic resources I can take a look at?

Sorry I couldn't help get your router working but at least it's going now. There's no particular advantage to the 10.x.x.x private address range, it's just a larger pool of addresses so some businesses with lots of sites and/or computers with different subnetting implement it instead of the 192.168.x.x addresses. If it's an older company it might even own a public group of IP addresses that it just keeps firewalled. Most consumer and small business stuff uses 192.168.x.x for a private address range and NAT by convention because most consumer grade hardware comes setup for it.

For networking resources, well, I'm not exactly sure which would be best starting out. I kind of taught myself TCP/IP basics back in the 90s and have picked up more along the way while getting my CS degree and working with different hardware for work. This doesn't look bad by the topic headings but I haven't actually gone through the material: http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/networking-fundamentals Perhaps other goons will have suggestions as well.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
I just got a new PC and it will initially connect to WIFI but after 5 minutes it disconnects and no other computer in the house can connect to WIFI.
Router is Linksys WRT54G and new PC has a Dell Wireless N 1705 card.
Any suggestions about what I can do to fix this? I'm not a networking expert if you couldn't tell.

Mouse Cadet fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 15, 2014

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
[Edit not quote]

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007

Etrips posted:

So I ended up getting an ASUS N66U/W router, but I'm on the fence if I should even bother installing TomatoUSB. What exactly are the benefits? Will it increase my wifi speeds on multiple devices? Should I just shut up and do it already?

Great question and Scott808 made a great reply which I will add my take to.

Scott808 posted:

Are you running the stock ASUSWRT firmware on your old router and are you happy with it?

On stock ASUSWRT (and also on ASUSWRT-Merlin) you can potentially see higher WAN speeds because of CTF, which Tomato doesn't have. Source - http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/150-10-connection-and-tomato-firmware-no-go.68601/#post-228845
http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/02/dear-asus-router-user-youve-been-pwned-thanks-to-easily-exploited-flaw/
Asus had issues with its default firmware. If some whitehat assholes decided to post a list on pastebin.org of a bunch of routers with the aicloud vulnerability. Luckily I wasn't on the list, but because of this gently caress up by asus I will never trust their stock firmware again.

I went with Shibby as well, but to your question as to whether it will help your wifi speeds...

Asus touts this router as having 256mb of ram, and a 600mhz processor. It's overkill. I got it the decent wifi speeds and saw the print server, torrent server, and file servers as an added bonus. They were all slow and clunky. Using the Aicloud feature over Wan would sometimes cause the file sharing to stop working.

Scott808 posted:

In comparison, one thing that was nice about Tomato is that to me it seemed like the currently active Tomato forks released new builds to address Heartbleed pretty quickly. And within 5 days Shibby has released an updated build that addresses this.

There are several more neat things built into Tomato, you have access to far more information and can configure much more. However, the extra add ons provided by "optware" or "entware" are a mess. You can run a lot extra services and programs if you mess with them for a while, but ultimately the 600mhz processor just can't keep up. Running things like iperf, rtorrent, flexget all bog the router down.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone know how to force a particular computer (Windows 2012 Server R1) to be the Master Browser on my network? Another Windows 7 computer keeps stealing the Master Browser and not finding the server itself so the rest of my computers wont populate the Network map with the server. I don't want to use a Domain because that is super overkill for my network.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

redeyes posted:

Does anyone know how to force a particular computer (Windows 2012 Server R1) to be the Master Browser on my network? Another Windows 7 computer keeps stealing the Master Browser and not finding the server itself so the rest of my computers wont populate the Network map with the server. I don't want to use a Domain because that is super overkill for my network.

On the Win7 machine check this registry setting:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters
IsDomainMaster should be false.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Scott808 posted:

At this point the WRT54GL is pretty outdated. Not that it won't work; I was using mine until a month or two ago.

Yeah, the CPUs are old enough that they can't keep up with traffic on connections these days. I think I even had problems with mine keeping up with my old lovely 16mbps connection, but that was a long time ago, so I don't really remember.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

phosdex posted:

On the Win7 machine check this registry setting:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters
IsDomainMaster should be false.

That does work at preventing one computer from being the master browser.. but then another one takes over, and not my server. Gah!

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

redeyes posted:

That does work at preventing one computer from being the master browser.. but then another one takes over, and not my server. Gah!

Do you happen to have mdns running somewhere and use a .local internal domain?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I currently live in a house that was converted into 4 apartments and we're all planning on going in on the Internet. I need a new router than allows me to:

-cap speeds for specific Mac addresses so nobody hijacks the connection trying to steam 1080p content on Netflix
-handle 10+ devices connected to it
-has USB 3.0 functionality so I can attach hard drives to it.

Should I just go with the Netgear AC1600 or ASUS RT-56U? I'm having a really hard time determining if both devices support multiple hard drives attached through a USB hub, along with what the external drives need to be formatted as.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I currently live in a house that was converted into 4 apartments and we're all planning on going in on the Internet. I need a new router than allows me to:

-cap speeds for specific Mac addresses so nobody hijacks the connection trying to steam 1080p content on Netflix

Should I just go with the Netgear AC1600 or ASUS RT-56U? I'm having a really hard time determining if both devices support multiple hard drives attached through a USB hub, along with what the external drives need to be formatted as.

I don't know anything other than the RT-56U supports multiple drives through a USB hub, format can be NTFS.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Avoid the Asus RT AC56U, it apparently has connection problems on the 2.4Ghz spectrum. The Asus RT-N56U is fine I think though.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I would be rolling my own pfSense box in this case. Consumer level gear might work for a while, but in the end it's going to cause you headaches. I setup a pfSense box as a public wifi router and haven't touched it in drat near 3 years. I put a multi port NIC in there, and configured a WAP and it has just worked ever since.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
I got a browser popup from my ISP Cox recently recommending I upgrade my old Motorola SB5101U modem which is old as poo poo and replace it with a Cisco Model DPC3010 DOCSIS 3.0 8x4 Cable Modem and I wanted to check in here first if that's the right course or if I should think about some other option. I have a Netgear N600 WNDR3700 router if that changes anything.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

General Probe posted:

I got a browser popup from my ISP Cox recently recommending I upgrade my old Motorola SB5101U modem which is old as poo poo and replace it with a Cisco Model DPC3010 DOCSIS 3.0 8x4 Cable Modem and I wanted to check in here first if that's the right course or if I should think about some other option. I have a Netgear N600 WNDR3700 router if that changes anything.

Not sure if it makes a difference between motorola and cisco but I would recommend upgrading to docsis 3.0 if you have a 20mb or faster plan. Buy the modem from newegg or somewhere, do not rent it from the ISP.

They probably want you to upgrade to support IPv6.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 17, 2014

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It's a shame the ASUS routers seem to have the best USB read/write speeds (by far) but their ~$100 units have other issues. I'm not sure I'm willing to invest the time or money on a bfsense box.

Back to the drawing board.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

r0ck0 posted:

I would recommend upgrading to docsis 3.0

...whatever your subscription speed happens to be. DOCSIS 2 can only use one upstream and one downstream channel, so your connection will slow to a crawl if the ones your modem is using get overloaded. DOCSIS 3 allows the modem to spread your traffic over multiple channels in both directions, resulting in a more reliable connection. The cable company wants you to upgrade because it helps them avoid congestion on any single channel.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Makes sense, I have their top plan and when I have a lot of activity going my internet is prone to failure. So the key is to get a modem that supports docsis 3.0 then? No particular brand to avoid/get? Thanks for the advice!

Edit: MOTOROLA SB6141 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825390001&cm_re=DOCSIS_3.0-_-25-390-001-_-Product

Something like that? $10 cheaper than what my ISP wanted to sell me and high ratings on Amazon and Newegg?

General Probe fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 17, 2014

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

General Probe posted:

MOTOROLA SB6141 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem

Yes, that is a solid choice. It seems to be stable and well-supported by virtually every cable provider.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

It's a shame the ASUS routers seem to have the best USB read/write speeds (by far) but their ~$100 units have other issues. I'm not sure I'm willing to invest the time or money on a bfsense box.

This is something I see a lot in this thread: Networking equipment is like any other computing stuff, you aren't going to get everything you want done 100% without paying for it.

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

Kreeblah posted:

Yeah, the CPUs are old enough that they can't keep up with traffic on connections these days. I think I even had problems with mine keeping up with my old lovely 16mbps connection, but that was a long time ago, so I don't really remember.

So if a WRT54GL is too old, what's a decent Tomato-compatible modern version of it? I'll admit that I'm skimming the last couple pages and I'm seeing a lot of people say a lot of stuff about ASUS routers. Though admittedly a lot of the needs I've seen way exceed my own. (Maybe 2 computers at any given time plus a couple smartphones on the network)

I did read enough to know I need to upgrade my old Cisco CM100 though.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

The time issue is there, but a pfSense box doesn't have to cost much. I used an old Pentium 4 computer we had laying around (free) and bought a 2nd ethernet card for it (15 bucks), then put my old router in bridged mode to act as a wifi AP (free). Setting up the software did take a couple of hours, but I haven't really had to think about it since. It might be worth your effort.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

skipdogg posted:

The time issue is there, but a pfSense box doesn't have to cost much. I used an old Pentium 4 computer we had laying around (free) and bought a 2nd ethernet card for it (15 bucks), then put my old router in bridged mode to act as a wifi AP (free). Setting up the software did take a couple of hours, but I haven't really had to think about it since. It might be worth your effort.

P4 is probably a power hog though, if you care about that sort of thing

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Dr. Habibi posted:

So if a WRT54GL is too old, what's a decent Tomato-compatible modern version of it?

Dunno. That was six years ago. I switched to pfSense and stopped paying attention to consumer hardware.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Kreeblah posted:

Dunno. That was six years ago. I switched to pfSense and stopped paying attention to consumer hardware.

Yeah it's really hard to care about modded consumer stuff anymore once you switch to pfsense.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I'm currently using a Cisco DPQ3212 cable modem at home. A friend recently gave me a Motorola SB6121. I am going to put it in place of the Cisco since it just makes sense to not pay for a cable modem every month. They seem to have to pretty similar capabilities, is there anything I'm missing in the comparison between the two that I should expect to see in terms of improvement from the Cisco to the Motorola?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Dr. Habibi posted:

So if a WRT54GL is too old, what's a decent Tomato-compatible modern version of it? I'll admit that I'm skimming the last couple pages and I'm seeing a lot of people say a lot of stuff about ASUS routers. Though admittedly a lot of the needs I've seen way exceed my own. (Maybe 2 computers at any given time plus a couple smartphones on the network)

Well, it's not that it's old, the WRT54G/L just isn't fast enough to route modern network connections. It has 100 Mbps ports, yet chokes up in the 10-20 Mbps area. Even when it was brand new it couldn't handle a lot of data (no one noticed though, as speeds were mostly in the 1-5 Mbps area back then).

Regarding Tomato, I just gave up on it. I think I found one "updated" port/fork, but it hasn't been updated in years, and only works with older devices. Yeah, it's a nice interface, but how often do you hang out on your router's setup page?

DD-WRT and ASUS stock (which looks like it might be based off DD-WRT) aren't the prettiest things, but they get the job done.

I was surprised and nearly overwhelmed with all the options my ASUS RT-AC68U has. With a few clicks I can have 8 separate WiFi networks set up, an OpenVPN server, a Samba server, FTP server, Torrent client/server, a cloud/sync box, dog-walker, can openers, a personal masseuse, etc. Many of its screens look like the ones from DD-WRT (just with an ASUS skin/theme applied).

I'm still waiting to test the routing capabilities. I know it does 30-80 Mbps without issue, but I'm waiting for Charter to enable my 100 Mbps speed (I'm in St. Louis, still stuck on 30 Mbps).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Dr. Habibi posted:

I think for the N routers it's the Asus RT-N66 and for AC it's the RT-AC66.

Shibby has a project called TomatoAnon, an optional feature in his builds of Tomato that collects some data on the routers his build of Tomato is running on. http://tomato.groov.pl/tomatoanon.php You can see how many N66s are in that list. Also, the N16 which I think was the first router that really took off with the Tomato crowd after the WRT54GL.

Xenomorph posted:

Well, it's not that it's old, the WRT54G/L just isn't fast enough to route modern network connections. It has 100 Mbps ports, yet chokes up in the 10-20 Mbps area. Even when it was brand new it couldn't handle a lot of data (no one noticed though, as speeds were mostly in the 1-5 Mbps area back then).

Regarding Tomato, I just gave up on it. I think I found one "updated" port/fork, but it hasn't been updated in years, and only works with older devices. Yeah, it's a nice interface, but how often do you hang out on your router's setup page?

DD-WRT and ASUS stock (which looks like it might be based off DD-WRT) aren't the prettiest things, but they get the job done.

I was surprised and nearly overwhelmed with all the options my ASUS RT-AC68U has. With a few clicks I can have 8 separate WiFi networks set up, an OpenVPN server, a Samba server, FTP server, Torrent client/server, a cloud/sync box, dog-walker, can openers, a personal masseuse, etc. Many of its screens look like the ones from DD-WRT (just with an ASUS skin/theme applied).

I'm still waiting to test the routing capabilities. I know it does 30-80 Mbps without issue, but I'm waiting for Charter to enable my 100 Mbps speed (I'm in St. Louis, still stuck on 30 Mbps).

As far as I know there are 3 main active forks of Tomato - Shibby, Toastman, and Victeck. Shibby, and I think Victeck, have builds for some of the newer ARM routers like the RT-AC68 and the R7000.